Garo Gaiden: Tougen no Fue released

Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Garo Gaiden: Tougen no Fue released

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Gaiden:_Tougen_no_Fue

a.k.a. So does this mean they're lesbians? Maybe? It's kinda hard to tell.

So it was a pretty decent movie. Lots of really good action scenes (okay, I was looking at Jabi's legs most of the time but my statement still stands) and I nearly cried at the CGI, which was such a breath of fresh air after YwTM's CGI. Rekka has gotten a bit better, acting-wise and of course Jabi was fantastic.

I did have some nitpicks with the plot, which was pretty weak, especially considering that the whole "I'm not telling you everything and we're just going to fight because we haven't compared stories" trope has been used far too often. Also at some points I wanted to murder the cameraman because he was shaking so much I swear he must've been drunk.

Magi and Agi were decent villainesses although Magi was kinda creepy with her lesbing over Rekka there. And the random kiss was just... there. Not much to say about it. (P.S. Magi, that's not where the jugular is)

Ending was a little odd with the "maybe they are maybe they aren't" lesbians thing. At 64 minutes, this movie is definitely shorter than most but I feel like that made it a bit stronger. The plot just wasn't strong enough to hold up a longer movie and so they didn't try, which probably helped it rather than hindered.

On second viewing, it was a bit better. I think I appreciated the more subtle martial arts of the priests more that time. With Garo it's very much "Bad guy over there, kill it dead" and if that doesn't work, try again. While there was a lot of martial arts in this, it was much more focused on technique rather than power, something I think works very well with the whole priest aspect. I definitely felt like the priests could handle kicking ass on their own and didn't have to rely on Garo all the time.

Oh yeah, Rin and Shiguto were in this too.

They were certainly there all right.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Garo Tougen no Fue

Post by XIII »

Is it the same actress who played Rin in Beast of the White Night? If so thats pretty cool reviving your role after so long

Drinking game for this movie

1 shot for every time Rekka is said
1 shot for every time Jabi is said
1 shot for every time Magi is said
1 shot for every time Shiguto says "that hurt"
1 shot for every time Tougen no Fue is said
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh shit. They brought back Rin? That's amazing. She was sorely missing during Makai Senki. And yeah, same actress.

That's pretty rad that the theme of Garo plays when they talk about Kouga. Although the reasoning is kind of funny. "She can't be even because we both love the same man!"

Atmospheric. Music. Makai writing

Hey it's that red curtain room. Did these guys see Yami wo Terasu Mono too?

Oh hey, it's the lady in tatters that we saw from the anime flashback. I was wondering when she would show up.

Man, Magi. Personal space. You're that friend no one invites over because you rub yourself on everything when you do.

LOL, Shiguto's moment of shine, he brings out the big stick.

I totally disagree with Luna about the misdirected intention things. Most toku shows really mess those kind of things up, but it felt just right in this movie. Especially with Rekka walking in to see Jabi with an axe in Magi's gut. It's all about the timing and whether the stuff happening in the story is believable to the character, which I think it does.

I really like the uncertainty at the beginning of who the traitor is. That had me guessing before it was revealed that both of them are.

Speaking of which, I strongly wonder if the villainesses are named Ma-gi and A-gi because of Ja-bi.

The seventh note is despair? Did this Garo writer watch Wizard too?

So overall I quite enjoyed the movie. It just has something in it that Yami is lacking. The atmosphere, the weird Makai writing everywhere, and the music. I was expecting the acting to be a lot more stilted, but it's actually quite decent. It just goes to show what good directing can do. There are a lot of fun nods to the previous works too. And it's an entertaining movie in its own right.

Weird. What are they hinting at the end? Sounds like we have another Garo arc coming up.

It's also kind of fun to watch a toku movie where most of the main cast are women.

Nitpick, this movies should have been called The Flute of Sougen.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Garo: The Flute of Tougen

Post by Phoenix512 »

I feel Jabi being a bit more like Rekka in Red Requiem than I recall in the past. The movie was pretty decent. Poor Shiguto, being the only guy in the movie and got walked on as usual. I think he managed to recall his days as TimeGreen when he was surfing on the giant paintbrush. So red ribbons is a universal sign for priestess being forced into a ritual. It was weird that Jabi and Rekka just begin fighting before explaining their side of the story. What's with the whole Rei and Tsubasa going to fight thing at the end? That came out of left field.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Quick question without reading any spoilers?

Should I see Soukoku no maryu before? Because if not, it's party time.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Standalone film, no spoilers for Soukoku. Some references, but they'll go over your head if you haven't seen it.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Perfect, thank you.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Wasn't the rock spell from Tsubasa? Because I remember the earring thing when Tsubasa was using spells in Beast of the White Night.

Poor Shiguto, it must suck to being the only male in this movie. I mean the only living one. He's also the only protagonist without his enter stance.

I really love Rekka's flute songs. The one she played and the one when she appear.

It was probably the shortest climax battle. For some reason, I got a "Very Nice. Phoenix Strike. The Best" in a Wizard style in my head when seeing this spell.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

This was a pleasant and needed surprise.

I enjoyed it a lot. Especially glad that technique was important for the priestesses, and that it was so artistic.

Can't wait to see Soukoku no Maryu and whatever the name for the Rei and Tsubasa competition will be.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Dunno. Not sure whose rock spell that was a reference to.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I really enjoyed it, good stuff.

My only complain is about the plot. Why is Rekka the flute?

Is that tournament thing from a book? I read somewhere that there is a book where the Makai Knights compete in some kind of tournament.

Thanks for the work, good and very fast.
takenoko wrote: Oh hey, it's the lady in tatters that we saw from the anime flashback.
Anime?
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

Kengi is so badass and I couldn't believe that he's Tousei hahaha! I had to Google it down just to be sure. :lol:
dat20091
Go Go!
Quote: "Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..."

Post by dat20091 »

I thought the movie was decent, it seemed kinda slow for me though.
The CG monster was like so perfect compared to YWTM since it looked like from the original garo and Makai Senki
Plot seemed kinda iffy, but that's my only problem
And Kengi aka Rekka's dad was Tousei o-o
Was surprised and thought he was gonna do something crazy insane but I guess they had to follow his character.
Shiguto was just there ._.
He helped a little but he was so derpy all the way through, which is basically his whole character
It was a nice touch that they brought back Rin, with the original actor too, could tell right away :)

The hinting to another spin off at the end made me want to watch it now ; n ;
there's no real announcement for it so I'm guessing not anytime soon :(
Mandalori wrote:Wasn't the rock spell from Tsubasa? Because I remember the earring thing when Tsubasa was using spells in Beast of the White Night.
Yes yes it was, it was Tsubasa's rock spell that he used vs Kouga, which was like the only time he used it ._.
Also they played Tsubasa's theme right when they did that
And the scene right before that one where Rekka was like ooh I have a friend who uses 2 swords or nitorru too,
was a reference to Rei which then played his theme music
Which I thought was kinda random but a nice touch

Only problem was that Rei and Rekka had like no interaction at all ._.
Guess they got to know each other off screen then
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

dat20091 wrote: Yes yes it was, it was Tsubasa's rock spell that he used vs Kouga, which was like the only time he used it ._.
Didn't he use it in Makai senki? Against Baron, I think.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Garo Gaiden: Tougen no Fue released

Post by takenoko »

If you watch the Girl's Talk segments, Rekka's actress likes Rei and Jabi's actress likes Tsubasa. I guess that's the reasoning for it.

Return to “Garo Movies”