Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Gekkou no Tabibito- Released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gekkou_no_Tabibito-

I'll be honest, I don't think I love this movie. It feels like the story doesn't work and has been better done in other Garo movies.

I don't know, I don't think Amemiya has a good story to tell with Raiga and their gang. Kouga going on a whimsical adventure in ~Soukoku no Maryuu~ worked because he met strange new characters who were changed by him and who change Kouga. Here, we meet strange little boys who turn out to be characters we already know. Mayuri and Crow show up, but it never felt like the trio had any good moments with each other.

If this is a story about the love of a family, that was done better in Beast of the White Night. I'm not totally sure I feel the love between Taiga and Kouga and Raiga.

Raiga just doesn't work in general because he can never step out of his father's shadow. If Amemiya wants to do spin offs, he's done great work with Bikuu or the Zero series, Raiga is shackled by his bloodline, for better or worse.

The stuff that works is the stuff that always works though. Amemiya's imagination is always a delight. And while I didn't love the train sequence and some of the CGI in this movie, the costumes and kooky characters that show up are usually pretty entertaining. Again, it's a shame that most of them are in the background and Raiga doesn't have any particularly deep interactions with them.

Thought Mayuri looked really good in this movie.

Best moment of the movie was definitely Kouga appearing in the real world, his theme playing as background to his swordplay. So good.

Taiga and Barago showing up was a lot of fun, and both of those guys look great considering it's been 15 years since the first Garo series. I also love it when Nishi shows up to voice the spirts of great heroes. He almost always does the voice for them or past Garos so he's as much a staple of the movie as any of the original cast at this point.

We first released the promo for this movie December 2016. I can't help but feel like four years of anticipation has done this movie a disservice. It feels very ambitious at times, like it's desperately trying to wrap things up with a bow. I thought this would be the movie that would let Kouga and Kaoru come home, but I guess not.

Edit: The movie comes with English subtitles. Kind of weird that it doesn't come with Japanese subtitles though. /me shakes his head at Japan's lack of care for their deaf

DV030 edit: Wanted to add this movie's rating poll.
Xirix
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger

Re: Garo -Gekkou no Tabibito- Released

Post by Xirix »

I enjoyed the movie, I kinda was also expecting this to be the movie where Kouga and Kaoru's little lost in time adventure would end as well... though, that means more Kouga stuff in the future maybe?

I wasn't expecting Barago, I thought it was going to be a manifestation of Zagi or something, but yeah, dude looks good. Overall not the best movie by far, but I love me some Garo and it was great to see these guys again.

Though ffs, can Kaoru get some speaking lines please? I feel like the last three times she's shown up she's been mute.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Just gonna put this here in case someone wants to try to crack at the list of exceptions. The ones we can identify are:

告 - Announcement
特別ルール - Special Rules
勝者は以下の条件の者を一度だけ連れて行けるける - Victors can bring in someone who meets one of the conditions listed below only once.
戦地を共にした者 - Someone you have shared the battlefield with.
生まれた時間が同じ者 - Someone born the same time
血の絆がある者 - Someone with a bond of blood
天敵の星を持つ者 - Someone whose star is your natural enemy (astrology? scorpio doesn't like aquarius?)
同じ?で?れた者 - 河?
煉獄の力を持つ者 - Someone who has the power of purgatory
転生の歌を歌いし者 - Someone who can sing the song of reincarnation

And at one point Baderu says they might share a birthmark. Maybe that's what the third to last line says?

Something I forgot is how good is it to see Kamen Rider Knight in something? It was brief, but man the hair was priceless.

Edit:
Do we know the timeline for all this? Raiga says it's been 20 years since his mom disappears and his dad left. I just looked through the scripts, I don't think they mention a year in episode 1, 17 (Rei's episode) or 24 (when his parents appear) of Makai no Hana. Although Raiga is 10 when training with Rei.

Also, does this movie take place 5 years after Makai no Hana, which aired in 2013-2014?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

In case you want to know more about the train passengers, I scanned the booklet and tried to figure out what Amemiya's handwriting said. I'm still not sure about one guy's name. If anyone can figure it out, that'd be appreciated:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gekk ... Characters
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This movie is kind of strange. The first 45 minutes, up until the end of the Barchess match, I wasn't really sure what was going on. Following that, I was in it 100%.

The problem is, not because of Raiga though. It's a nice GARO family movie, but Raiga suffers from all the same issues he does in his series. He's outdone by both his father and grandfather. Shit, even Crow manages to be more interesting.

I have to say though, everything else was on point with this movie. Bringing Barago back was a great idea. He is a Horror now and there is precedent for them coming back. They hadn't done it before, and I think it actually helps to give both Kouga and Taiga a bit of closure, especially since Messiah just ate him and Kouga only fought the KIBA.

Highlights for me included:

1) Kouga manifesting in the real world complete with his theme and duelling Barago.
2) Taiga being in it at all. I've wanted Taiga shit for years. Him transforming and just beating the everliving fuck out of Kiba was fantastic.
3) Both the part where they share parts of the armour and when they take turns wearing it. I originally thought some space time bullshit would let them all wear a copy, but I think this worked a lot better.
4) That nice montage of all the series characters set to that Saviour in the Dark piece.

If you'd told me this would be the last ever piece of GARO anything. I'd be okay with it. Really great movie and closure to the Saejima story. I did think it was interesting that had Rekka and Reis actors cameo on the train and not actually do anything with them, but I suppose it is the Golden Knights story.

Little bit of trivia. Ouga has appeared previously in the pachinko games and was historically known as the strongest knight. I do remember reading a while ago that it had some bullshit hax abilities, but I can't remember what the source was to double check.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Nice final for the Saejima saga. I didn't recognize all the cameo though, like Mary. I have no idea where she was.
Barago coming back was nice since he appeared only in the original and in KIBA. I don't think there could be a better enemy for the final of the Saejimas.
Not really surprised that only characters from Makai no Hana were the only one in that show's opening (Raiga, Crow, Mayuri).
I liked the pictures of all the others. I wonder if they couldn't get their actors back even for cameos like with Kaoru or if it was a choice to keep it as much in the Saejima family as possible.

Now, we just need to have the Saejima interact with Dougai Ryuuga to have a full set.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by all the cameos on the train. Try to figure it out for yourself, then check the wiki page to see how many you get~ Matsuyama Mary's cameo is especially hard to get, I'd be very surprised if anyone spotted her correctly.

I do like the idea of a train being a self-contained world in each car, but dunno if I loved the way this one was set up. Like I said in my first post, some of the Garo in wonderland type stories can be very good, but it needs to be grounded in something for me to stay interested. And it kind of violates the "don't waste viewer's time" rule but making it Raiga's dying illusion, since it takes up a good 46 minutes of the movie.

I thought Ouga appeared before, but maybe I just saw the pachinko footage somewhere.

I don't know if it feels like an end to the Saejima story, it feels like a set up for a Raiga and Mayuri adventure. Raiga the TV series: By himself he's finally interesting

Edit:
Oh and if you want to see what the English subs on the Blu-ray said, I posted it here:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gekk ... Transcript

No Japanese subs though, very strange
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

When feathered mask guy first appeared i immediately thought 'Wait is that Barago......no way they are bringing him back for this right' than he brags about how he knows everything about Garo and I am like 'it is really Barago what the hell. Was that kid Raiga's son than.....or maybe.....gulp......Taiga?" Than watch rest of movie but during train scene i had like 'is that kid Raiga he mentioned he heard the moon traveler story from someone was it from himself? Or is it Kouga? Did he get Kamen Rider Den-O'ed was he another Garo ancestor maybe First Garo?' many thoughts came over during train scene than there was the Armor getting ingaed and i was like 'Oh so this is how they are going to work how Garo Armor lost its light thing with other series' damn it was a packed movie with lots of possibilities.

Oh and something I realized Taiga's armor was red eyedi Kouga was Green and Raiga was blue if we put them in age order it is Red Green Blue or RGB.......... I will be at the corner.
Xirix
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger

Post by Xirix »

I'm definitely expecting another Raiga series after this, which will actually wrap up the Saejima story, would be nice if they gave him more character though, he's not terrible but against Kouga and Ryuuga... he's definitely the weakest.

I watched it again with my sister earlier, she pointed out Fujita Ray's cameo, not sure how I missed him, he has a damn dragon and everything. Can't say I noticed the others, though it's been a while since I watched any of the other series, and they were kinda hidden.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I really just don't feel like Raiga is interesting enough for another story. Kouga in this movie proved he was better by pre-empting his trial from Gajari.

He was really the least interesting part of the movie.
Doublesteel
Infinity

Post by Doublesteel »

Story was not that strong, its like all the weird plot lines, plot holes and just plot in general got blended with crack. But the fights were nice.

Im still unsure how a canon dead guy became a kid in the denliner soul train, how samurai barago meshes with the previous backstory we had on him.

Loved the fact that they kept continuity with each Garo user having their respective armor eye colors from their series (like others noticed above) and honestly Taiga... bruh... he goes all "I could cut you up with literally decades of swordsmanship experience... nah, ima just walk into you with fists swinging like an angry 5 year old."

Would not recommend this to ppl unless they were already Garo fans, and honestly I wouldnt rewatch again.
Dangard_Belmont
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Dangard_Belmont »

It's a good movie, at least it's better than the type of movie that I was expected, and overall a good way to connect raiga's continuity with ryuuga continuity, with zero continuity and perhaps with the new one GARO series
The M
Infinity
Favorite series: Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Fumika Baba
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: EARNEST DRIVE
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Now, shall we begin the experiment?"

Post by The M »

The scene near the end of the movie with Mayuri in the Tower of Heroic Spirits means that she will become the mother of Raiga child?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah it's basically her pregnancy reveal. I can't believe you've done this Raiga.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

Absolutely disgusting.

Return to “Garo Movies”