Garo Red Requiem Movie Released

Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Garo Red Requiem Movie Released

Post by Catastrophe »

You're my hero Saint.

Upon watching again, I noticed the CGI wasn't as conspicuous as previously done. I suppose the budget and advancement in technology helped, but it made the experience much more enjoyable.
TaelonZ
7X
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Akibaranger
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by TaelonZ »

I may hate myself by pointing this out but Rei/Zero might have actually made a cameo in this. During the final fight if you look at the spirit that calls for the charge he looks suspiciously like Rei (Hair style, short sword (though there is only one that we see)) SO it might be a assumption that Rei took on Karma and lost before this story. That and if it is not the case it might also be prudent to ask where in the storyline this takes place, after all didn't Garo get an upgraded form in the last episode and in White Knight? Yet he never calls on either of those two (Again though, white knight's form might be based off the arrow itself.) He instead opts for just using base form and when powered up Shenlong form.

So who knows. Also it took me almost half the movie to realize which char Time Green was. Guess having a mustache and not having green/blue/etc hair does make it hard.

EDIT: Oh i forgot to mention i noticed how the whole 99.9 seconds in armor is gone during the battle. (That or the scenes where he was pictured out of armor he switched it off to reset the timer. Didn't know he could do that though.)
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

Phoenix512 wrote:For someone watching this without watching any other Garo when they see Kouga dedonning the armor and put it back on a second later is a bit odd. Ok it's a bit odd regardless but at least for people who watch Garo before, it makes sense.
I take that scene as more symbolic and figuratively, you know, since the whole background changes. Besides, we get to see Kouga use the Garo sword out of suit. That's awesome.

I like this movie a lot. Granted, I felt a lot of things were just unnecessary(like the overload of breasts) and it fell a bit short as a GARO piece of media, but I still like it a lot. To me, one of the main essence of GARO is sheer heroism, and this movie has it in spades.

I just love the soundtracks in this movie. Very atmospheric, most were very sinister and set the mood very well. I particularly liked the Requiem for the Heroic Spirits. I need the orchestral rendition of that!! The opening song was awesome, and I like the contrast set from the first part to the second part. I hated the first part but the second part felt truly heroic.

Creatively speaking, this movie was excellent. The designs were awe-inspiring and unique, and I love the imagery of the world inside the demon mirror. I was both amused and grossed out by Babel(try looking for its eyes). I'm calling Garo's new form as Seraphic Garo XD. And that sword O_O holy crap. I thought it strange and funny that what creeped me out the most in this movie was the girl in pink. When she multiplied I went "Shit!!". I thought the fight scenes were great, save for some scenes with Rekka that seemed rather slower than usual.

I really like the new characters, and I can't agree with Takenoko for comparing them with the characters in the series. Of course they're different. I like Shiguto in that he's the most 'normal' and his interactions with the other characters. Akaza was the mentor figure and I like how his character was very flawed, despite being the 'mentor'. Reika was immature, brash, and rude. Her deal was that she's the young, overconfident rookie who still don't understand the weight of her responsibilities and the meaning of their battles with the Horror, and Kouga's there to teach her. Strangely, while most of the time she was 'wooden', I thought she nailed the emotional scenes well. It's good to see Takimoto again, being cool and manly.

Kouga's definitely one of my favourite protagonists ever, and this movie shows why. While he didn't have much development, he teaches and helps the new characters grow. I appreciated it when he said he can't stand the night club, because I can't too. I like how he strives to protect everyone, without differentiating or judging, making him a true hero.
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Well, Kouga got a new silly backpack for his armour. I guess this adventure is complete!

I, too, was very disappointed at the lack of anyone else from the series and found it really hard to give two shits about anyone from this film at all. Especially the dude Horror, when they revealed his Tragic Backstory, came across like someone had studied what tragic backgrounds are and is proficient at writing them, but there was absolutely no soul to it. I was unaccountably bored and was surprised the film was as short as it is.

Also, I get it. Boobs. But didn't the last movie or the series also end with Kouga attacking a giant naked woman? That part seemed really familiar. Next movie, giant naked man, please.

But hey, Makai Priest Todoroki was pretty cool. More of him and his Gouryuu or whatever. Suitcase Monsters. (I'm aware it's not Todoroki, before anyone named Hyperdrake leaps down my throat about how delusional I must be.)

I guess not even awesome Japanese action franchises are immune to the apparent law that 3D movies are crappy.

The most damning thing I can say to this film is that it felt like fanfic by someone who missed the point of Garo.
Faiz356
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Faiz356 »

I really enjoyed the movie, and it's nice to have something Garo related to watch until Kiba comes out.

I was fine with the lack of old characters in the movie, the creative team probably wanted to get Kouga, and in a way, the audience out of their comfort zones for the movie. They also might have felt that bringing them in would be unecessary to the story, which I agree with.

I thought the action was great, and I didn't see it as unworthy of being in Garo. Sure the scenes where they make it obvious it's in 3D to the audience like Gouten coming out kinda made me roll my eyes but it was still enjoyable. "Seraphic" Garo looked awesome and was awesome as he should be. I didn't think the human action was that bad either, especially Kouga taking on a horror without his armor.

I like the new characters, Rekka's wooden acting was kinda apart of her character so I took it in stride. Akaza and Kurusu gave in to horrors for those they love, a common theme in Garo. Shiguto struck me as someone who was going to be more comedy relief than he actually was and I was pleasantly surprised with him. Those robot dog things were... something. I guess these days the Makai warriors are upgrading into the 21'st century to fight Horrors.

I think being a giant naked woman means you're a top-tier Horror, or something like that. The Horrors have never appeared to have leaders, but they do have legendary beings among them like Messiah and Horror who are said to be nigh-undefeatable.

And we finally learn what Garo actually means! I always thought it just meant "Golden Knight", but that would just be too redundant wouldn't it?

And what's this about Zaruba not talking that much? I though he talked tons! I was expecting him to get maybe five lines from what I heard, but that wasn't the case at all.

In the end, I really enjoyed this movie a lot. I'm sorry for those who were expecting more and were disspaointed, but I personally think it filled my awesome quota for the day.
chickdigger802
7X

Post by chickdigger802 »

Glad that I wasn't the only one who thought the movie was a bit off.

It felt like the got a whole new fight choreographer or something.

It's not 3d's fault. Pretty much every 3d movie out these days have fast action. True Legend was china's first 3d kung fu flick and the action wasn't compromised (plot might though ;P).

And the last fight felt like an extended cut of the final battles of the show.

And I'm not ashamed to say it, but those breasts are really distracting. Hard to watch the other stuff lol.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

TaelonZ wrote:I may hate myself by pointing this out but Rei/Zero might have actually made a cameo in this. During the final fight if you look at the spirit that calls for the charge he looks suspiciously like Rei (Hair style, short sword (though there is only one that we see)) SO it might be a assumption that Rei took on Karma and lost before this story. That and if it is not the case it might also be prudent to ask where in the storyline this takes place, after all didn't Garo get an upgraded form in the last episode and in White Knight? Yet he never calls on either of those two (Again though, white knight's form might be based off the arrow itself.) He instead opts for just using base form and when powered up Shenlong
Winged Garo and Phospherous Garo are temporary upgrades, the first with help from Kaoru, the second with the Phospherous Arrow. Garo's only permanent upgrade is Gouken
ImageImage
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

As always, GARO is made of WIN and AWESOME! Though I am sad there was no Kaoru or Jabi. :/

720p file was pixelated on my 720p HDTV. Downloading the 1080 to see if it's better.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I was very disappointed. It hurt (a lot) that I thought the beginning of the movie was pretty terrible. The writing and introduction of the characters was disjointed, the soundtrack didn't match the mood of the scene at all, and it looked like all of the dialogue was re-recorded in post-production. I think that's common in tokusatsu productions, but it shouldn't be obvious. Case in point - there were moments when the lady-Horror's mouth was moving yet you could hear no words.

One of the things I disliked most about the beginning of the movie was that the CGI was incredibly conspicuous. Obviously, there's going to be CGI, but I thought the television show handled integrating it into the fights much better. At the beginning, the monster-eating Horror looked like pure CGI, and Kouga looked like he was slicing through things that would only exist post-production. Even Garo himself looked like he was too reliant on CGI, and the explosions looked like something I'd expect to see in sentai rather than Garo.

Karma's male servant (Cruz, I think it was) was the first CGI in the movie that looked like it fit in the scene. Generally, the fights later in the movie (probably after the mid-point) were more along the lines of the quality I expect from Garo. I thought this movie was supposed to be a prequel to the series, which left me confused about why Gouten was there. Didn't he have to earn that during the series?

Line delivery was terrible. Everyone felt stiff. That's partly excusable for Kouga, since it's part of his character (and was it my imagination, or did his voice get even deeper?), but but even for him there's a difference between gruff and wooden. As much as I love Zaruba, there’s a problem if a ring is delivering its lines with the most energy.

I was pleased that the flute playing had a purpose in the final battle, and that the tune built into the Garo theme. That was probably the best moment in the movie.

Neat facts about the toku-history of the various cast members. I don't think I caught any of them. Not sure I'll bother watching it a second time just for that reason, though.
DrStrange26
Adventure
Favorite series: Bioman
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Jasmine Dekayellow
My boom: Sentai, Anime

Post by DrStrange26 »

Totally agree with it being a bit off from the TV series and the TV movie itself. Chararcters are just a bit stiff and sometimes no emotions on delivering their lines. One thing that I noticed as well is that the scene when Rekka is fighting the Horrors in the beginning scene, her shoes is a heeled shoes yet when she fights it turns into boots; when she slams her foot on the hood of the car, it has heels again then boots when she is doing the spinning and kicking fight the first horror in the movie. You can tell that they cut and put the scenes together. As for Kouga turning into Garo, there is not much of him switching to Garo in the movie. The movie should have been titled Rekka since they more of Rekka doing things than Kouga being Garo.

The movie should have been at least 2 hours long for it to have more character development and have the essence and understanding like that of the TV series and the TV movie.

Marika "Jasmine" Reimon(DEKA YELLOW)
DokiDoki Yukai
Adventure
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: W, ToQger
Dreamy: Iwanaga Hiroaki
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Mayu
Favorite Band: AKB48
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sailormoon Crystal
Quote: If you're determined to fight...let's see how strong you are.

Post by DokiDoki Yukai »

I love me some GARO, but Red Requiem for me was rather....I don't wanna say 'meh', but the feeling comes a little too close, especially after 10 months or so waiting on pins and needles. Overall I thought that RR was good, but there were just so many missteps that it put me on the fence. Sure, it was Garo--but in so many ways, just not my Garo that I've known and loved.

Kouga: Saejima is awesome as always, but he just seems so much flatter than he was series or White Knight-wise. Sure, his arc has come full circle and he's no longer a giant serving of douchewater, but that doesn't mean that you can't further expand on the type of person that he is now, right? He can do more than fight, and it's a shame that he didn't do much other than fight...well he did, but anything else was mostly interacting with...

Rekka: Oh my DAMN I don't have that many characters that I've hated but she immediately gets shoved to the top of the list--just about everything she did when she wasn't trying to kick something's ass was annoying. I can't tell if it was the poorly scripted/poorly acted dialogue or what, but Jesus, every time she opened her mouth I wanted to reach through the screen and give her a cup of 'shut the fuck up'. While her action scenes were pretty impressive, it just seemed like she was moving rather slow--don't get me wrong, her flexibility and spins were great; but trying to fight like that for real, she would've gotten killed before finishing that first piroutte. Her "acting" made me cringe, and trying to make her the sideman to Kouga felt like just rubbing more salt into the wound.

No Kaoru/Zero/Jabi/Tsubasa/etc: Where the hell were you guys?! Part of the anticipation for this movie was I thought more than just the titular character was going to show up...grr...I could've enjoyed the experience a whole lot better with the inclusion of just ONE other former cast. (No, Kaoru being the voice of the Big Bad is not enough for me. You couldn't show up for at least a quick cameo like in White Knight? Fine, be that way.) Sure, it being a Garo movie can mean that you can get away with just having Garo, but a lot of what Kouga growing as a person and as a Golden Knight was the many interactions he had with those people in of itself--however, I am glad to hear about a Kiba movie.

Action/CG: I guess with the bigger budget of a movie, and advancements in CG and the move to 3D, I have to say I was pretty impressed with the visuals. Sadly though, it seems like they ignored a lot of plot and hoped that people would just go 'Ooh, shiny' and move on. I wish I'd seen more of Garo form more, but Kouga's out of suit fighting is something I always loved from the series since you know the actor did most of it himself, so I can let that slide. Like I said earlier--Rekka's fighting was impressive, yet came off looking stilted and slow.

Ending fight: Look, I know that the series is aimed at an adult audience, and that the final boss is supposed to be strong, fearsome, and all-powerful...but there's absolutely no--no reason whatsoever--for her to be stark ass naked. I simply just don't understand why a lot of directors these days seem to think 'Ultimate evil' has to be akin to 'completely topless'. I'm not saying that because I'm not really into women, it just seems needlessly tacked on. I'm all for artistic expression and such, but...come on. It was kinda questionable the first time, but I let it go. It was weird and distracting in 2006 and it still is now. We had the topless scarily painted jiggly-tits ultimate evil once already. You guys did it before. Come up with something else.

I personally think that the movie could have done a lot more, but what's already done is done. I came away from the movie thinking "Oh, cool, I'm glad I got to see it, but...I'm just so disappointed somehow". It was great to watch through, but unlike the first movie or the TV series...I don't think I'll be rewatching it. And it's kinda hard to recommend to anyone. But that's just my personal feelings on it.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Scanning through posts I see a lot of disappointment. Maybe I'm simply not as much as one to critique as everyone else, but I found it refreshing that Kouga was more in the role of a mentor and a figure to look up to. Previously he's still learning and growing up a bit, or busy with rivalry, or both. Now he's a master and he had to face the challenge of dealing with the horrors without the armor. I will say I enjoyed Beast of the White Night a bit more than Red Requiem, however, I still enjoyed Red Requiem and got chills seeing Kouga appear for the first time just like I did with Beast of the White Night.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

Well, here's what happened when I was watching this...
Boobs... boobs eveywhere...

Me: This is GARO all right...
When Shiguto unpacked his luggage, revealing a little thingamajiga...

Me: Ey, ain't that cute?

Saw it being kicked away

Me: Ouch.

Saw it coming back and spitting out a fireball, only to be kicked out of the screen again

Me: ... Well, I'd like to keep one of those.
When a girl came down and delivered whoopass on the horror woman...

Me: Yea, Jabi!

Shiguto: Rekka!

Me: ...
Kouga: I was summoned here by the Watchdogs...

Me: New CerBeRus trio? I guess they're replaceable. Ey, there is that wolf-head thingy for dispensing horror in Akaza's HQ, no?
Saw Rekka posing before delivering the last blow to Shion as the background darkens

A brother: Finish her!

Me: Oh, knock it off... Huh? Zat you, Rain?
Saw the artist and his tragic past...

Me: Wait. Kamen Rider the First tried that... oh whatever...
Edit: Me: Wait the heck! Unless it's pure coincidence that Karma was there as Kruz killed that random model, does that mean Karma can just go "Lulz" and transfer to a random mirror any day and give the hell for Kouga and co?
Saw them getting into Karma's domain

Me: Ah, I believe that's the museum from the first tv episode. How nostalg-..

Kouga: Garo!

Saw him suited up as quick as a Saint in Saint Seiya.

Me: The heck!? I expected more difficulty in fetching that back, being in a horror's domain and all that! Oh, then the spontaneous Gouten...
Saw new super-form...

Me: ... Well, that's one new action figure I ain't touching. If there is representation for this, it is to "Add legs to a snake".
Legion attacks of the fallen...

Me: I don't know, but I sure recalled the one against Kiba delivered, not with some unclear phantoms too...
That said, thanks again for the works on this, tv-nihon.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

For action, this movie gave me enough.
Missed the 99.9 second timer, I thought that was a pretty important piece in the TV-show.
Kind of wished ZERO would have been there. I like his style of using two swords. That and having him around to GARO's straight-face would have been a welcome breath of life.

It's still a decent movie if you want action and sexuality.
Zaruba was pretty played down, and his smart-ass remark at the end was hilarious.

Didn't know they were making a spin-off or a TV-sequel, I wonder how it's going to work. I'll be waiting.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I thought the action of this movie satisfied my taste. However, as a whole movie, it was only average. It felt totally different from the TV series and Beast of the White Knight. The only connection we had in here were Kouga, Zaruba and the Horrors. Hey, that sounds similar to a certain Pirates movie that came out this summer. Anyways, the special effects looked pretty cool especially in the 2nd half. I can certainly tell 3D played a big part in how certain scenes and angles were shot. I did find Rekka to be kinda annoying too. She's hot though which was how I was barely able to tolerate her. It seemed like this movie advanced her character more than anyone else. I really don't know what else to say about this though. It was just there and felt like it got me through the emotions. It didn't give me a big impact like Beast of the White Night did. Now that movie was awesome. To end my review, I wish Kaoru was in this movie. The mention of her name in the epilogue was lame.

Return to “Garo Movies”