Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Senki 06 released

Post by takenoko »

So I thought this was a pretty interesting episode. The first thing to note is how nonlinear the story is. But it's used pretty effectively. Like when Masato screws up and the illusion is broken transitioning to a flashback of what happened to the real Masato. Or when the tree is killed, and reality sets in on the parents, and we see a full flashback that shows how the tree came to being.

Speaking of which, I really thought the parents were great at their parts. They kill people, but they're so humble and old folksy that it's like they're just doing a hard day's work in the fields. And while they do terrible things, you also feel sorry for them for living in this illusion.

This kind of reminds me of a series one episode where another guy kills people to help out his Horror. While some may say that these people are brain washed, you still kind of wish the Makai Knights would deal out some sort of human justice to people like that as accomplices. At the very least, take them to the police or something. Having them beg to be killed only for Rei to turn away just isn't satisfying to me. Although the way they kill themselves is pretty fitting.

Oh, speaking of which. When they comment on how they knew Rei was different. Could they subconsciously have been wishing for Rei to come and free them from their illusion?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Makai Senki 06 released

Post by Lunagel »

Horray Rei!

This was a really excellent episode. You know it's good when you can take just the one episode and show it to someone who's never seen the series and they'll understand. I really enjoyed the old couple. You could see how hard they worked to keep their illusion in place, especially in the scene where the son didn't eat the right thing. A lot of the stories are about people being deceived, but people wanting to be deceived is a whole different story. No malice when they killed people, just hope. And honestly, that's what probably makes them the most dangerous killers of them all.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Really liked this one. I suppose it's because we have the lead writers again. It's good to see Rei doing stuff again, I did miss him in Red Requiem.
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by HIDragonstar »

Its always nice to see an episode where the main character isn't one of the major principles. Rei made a return! Which was good. I guess the fight we saw last week in the trailer was more for the two of them training again. Although, this episode reminded me of "Friday the 13th: The Series". The one where the cast has to find and retrieved cursed objects, where they usually give you what you want... at the price of someone else's death. Strange that the original series "Fish Tank" didn't give me the same feel to it.

I find it strange that we originally has the 99.9 sec timer in the first episode, and we haven't seen it come back since. Now we're finding out that the seal is related to how often they use their armor. Gave me an old 'Spawn' feeling, still... I would like to see that old timer come back, maybe with another timer to show how much life he really has left.

I like how Kaoru wants to help cook dinner and Gonza says he doesn't need her help. I guess she still cooks pretty bad...

Spoiler
I'm kinda wondering about the trailer for next week. Interesting that we see Leo and Kaoru working together. It definitely appeared that she was learning some Makai Priest tricks. Makes me wonder is she a 'Makai Artist' still? I call it that after she painted at the end of Garo Season 1 that armor for Kouga. There was that 'golden brush/pen' that she supposed had. (Although Gaiden isn't really cannon is it?) Also, her 'pose' at the end of "White Knight" was similar to that of a Makai Priest with one of their paint brushes.
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.
Igarashi_Kiriiga
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Dreamy: Saejima Kouga
Favorite Actor?: I can't choose!
My boom: GARO
Quote: "saisho ni itte oku, ore wa tsuyoi jyanai. Ore wa tsugoku tsuyoi" aka "let me tell you from the start, I am not strong. I am very strong"

Post by Igarashi_Kiriiga »

i soooooo have to download this asap.

dear internet, please do go faster.

The way he looks make the girls feel honored to be reeled in
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Why is Rei immune to poison? Did they explain why in the 1st season? Or are all Knights like that?

Anyway, Rei showing up was pure fan service, since there was nothing new about him or the plot in the episode.

The story was pretty nice. Garo has the best MOTW stories. The old couple made me remember enemies in Ookami.

I think next week we'll see something about the main plot.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Was it ever explained why the old couple kill people? I'm kinda confused on that. I thought it might be the Horror Tree's influence which is causing them do it. Anyways, this was an interesting episode. It's good to see fan favorite Rei be the focus for once. I would love to see a spin-off show starring him and we see his own adventures. It would definitely be more fresh than a certain Kamen Rider show that still won't reach it's climax. Another thing, we really don't get to see the Garo armor that much in this series. I guess that seal thing must be the reason for it. When Rei transformed, I instantly thought of Mark Mushasi, who was the suit actor for Zero. I'm guessing Mark isn't doing that anymore...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Apparently it's some guy called Sanshiro Wada.

Took that from wiki and couldn't find a citation, so I cannot vouch for its reliability.
JustiFan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JustiFan »

It was great to see Rei back in business, even if Kouga was absent for most of the episode. More Zero is always a good thing (Silva too.)

Even in the first series, transformed fights rarely lasted that long in comparison to the non-transformed ones, but this time they do seem to be taking even more of a back seat so far. I think it's partially because this series appears to be placing more focus on the Horrors' stories than the first one did, exploring their origins and motivations a little deeper than before. I can't help but think that was a conscious decision on the staff's part, and it is an interesting one.

I also agree that you do have to feel sorry for the parents. I don't mind admitting that I actually shed a couple of tears for them at the end. :(
chronoxiong wrote:Was it ever explained why the old couple kill people? I'm kinda confused on that. I thought it might be the Horror Tree's influence which is causing them do it.
The way I saw it was: the tree came from a seed found with their son when he died; it was sort of like his last gift to them. As the tree grew and was given life, the parents somehow got it into their heads that by offering sacrifices, their son would someday return to them. Sort of like trading several lives in return for one.

I've no doubt the Horror was influencing them to some degree, but I wonder if maybe there was more to it. Grief can certainly impair one's judgement sometimes: my theory is that the parents wished more than anything to have their son back and - at least on some level - would consider sacrificing anything for it to happen. The Horror just manipulated and twisted the desire that was already there.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

Hah, I knew Masato looked familiar. It's Raia after all.

That said, this episode is rather emotional just like episode 21 in the first season. Perhaps it's because the victims cared for the Horror with a pure love?

As for couple finding Rei being extra-ordinary, well, is it common for people to dress up like him or Kouga in Japan?

And about Rei not able to finish off the elders, it might be the Makai Knight's code, but I think he might sympathize with those two, being an adopted child.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

That was the most depressing episode, christ.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I'll say. The guy in the fishtank episode last series was an absolute a-hole. These were just misguided like the bullet guy from last series. It didn't help that the majority of the episode was showing us why they were doing it.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Eh...this is alright ep compared to other ep. I just feel like they were stupid couple doing stupid stuff. But hey grieving can make people do crazy stuff.

I would have been disappointed if nothing happened to those couple. I mean after all they murdered so many people, but in the end they killed themselves. I guess I can take that better than nothing. :-/

I guess I really am opposite of you guys in which ep to like more.

Honestly. I dunno what to think of this ep.

Didnt realize they were running illusion scenes over and over again with some mistakes going on you guys mentioned...got to rewatch this ep again for sure.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
sentaidragon
Go Go!
Favorite series: kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: sentai
Dreamy: all girls :p
Favorite Actor?: i have more than one
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by sentaidragon »

i have mixed feelings about this ep for the couple... on the one side hate for killing people, on the other seed i feel sorry for them...
but doing suicide... because they can't go on without the tree (illusion) or they regret the many kills...
KR_FIA wrote: And about Rei not able to finish off the elders, it might be the Makai Knight's code, but I think he might sympathize with those two, being an adopted child.
that's true... but living with such a pain is the biggest punishment than death....
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

The Fish Tank episode had Zaruba saying something along the lines of 'It isn't your (Maki Knights) job to deal with human crimes'. Technically, if they were killing people to feed to the Horror, he can't do anything about it.

Return to “Makai Senki”