Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Senki 12 released

Post by takenoko »

Oh... so Rei broke up with his high school girlfriend...

Honestly, I didn't like this episode. It was predictable and the characters weren't as fun as the old couple. They were creepy, but they were also sort of interesting.

This was just uncomfortable to watch. "Oh yeah, some parents abuse their kids. Thanks for that story?"
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Makai Senki 12 released

Post by Lunagel »

Abusive mom was pretty creepy and I just got kinda confused by it all.

Rei eating four crepes at once was pretty lulzy though.
tedrules516
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by tedrules516 »

In the HD version, while Rei was standing in front of the river, parts of his coat appeared transparent or glittering. Is this an encoding glitch or a codec failure on my end?

As for the plot, I didn't think it was a case of "abusive mom," but Horror possessing mom, for whatever unspecified motive. It was another of the tragic family themes Rei's episodes have, besides the samurai guy.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

A time stamp would be useful for questions like that.

I think they hint that she's abusive before becoming a Horror. She still sniffs her daughter in the flashback plus she had driven her daughter to committing suicide, which caused the whole thing. The daughter really is the victim here.
tedrules516

Post by tedrules516 »

7:10 to 7:20

I'm not convinced of the hints of abuse prior to the Horror's arrival. Sniffing to make sure Misao hasn't been eating sweets is odd, but we don't know how far the admonishment goes. Mother might be controlling, but she shows more concern than I would expect of one who is abusive, even getting herself hit by the car. As for the suicide attempt, well teen girls can be overly dramatic.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's like that in the raw too. I'm guessing it's sloppy green screening

As for the abuse thing, there's also the scratch marks on Misao's arm. I guess you could say that the Horror did that, but I dunno. I kind of feel like they show parallels between the present and the past to show that this isn't necessarily a new development for mommy dearest.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I like this episode, despite the fact it was a random Rei episode. It's cool to see the origin of his sweet tooth, and little things like putting Silva around his neck for the flashback were nice touches.

Abusive mother was very strange though.

Preview:
Spoiler
Jabi!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It'd be funny if Rei really doesn't have a sweet tooth, but just eats them to please women. "Hey baby, I got diabetes for you."

I mean, if you didn't like sweets before, I don't see how eating a tart will turn that sentiment 180 degrees around.

I forgot to mention that it was neat the way they included Kaoru in the ending sequence. Rei dropping off sweet presents at her window and disappearing seems just like him.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

Another really good episode. I really liked it. It's funny how all of Rei's MOTW episodes are consistently better than Kouga's. I enjoyed Kouga's episodes but Rei's enemies tend to be more...developed, I guess?

Am I the only one freaked out when the Horror ate the mother from the...pubic area >_< , the absolute glee from the Horror and the fact that the girl saw the whole thing?!

My theory about this episode is...lesbian love between mother and daughter ><. The mother wasn't abusive but we see that she touched, sniffed and stroke tooo much and I guess Rei saw it too since we're following Rei's POV. To explain the suicide, the relationship was two-way and I guess the girl felt guilty about it(just my speculation). After the Horror's possession, it was then that the mother becomes...not exactly abusive but...obsessive, I guess, and being a Horror, tend to hold her too tightly. Again, the fact that the girl sometimes hold herself really tightly hints that she's not wholly against it.

I'll stop now and try to think about something else >_>...
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I forgot to mention that it was neat the way they included Kaoru in the ending sequence. Rei dropping off sweet presents at her window and disappearing seems just like him.
I was going to mention this as well. They always do a good job in making that credit section relevant, even if Kaoru isn't in the episode.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

What a boring episode. The fights and the drama were lame. This is adult toku and this episode was straight from a teen drama except for the mother becoming a kaijin and getting killed by a guy in silver wolf armor.

They tried to show that Rei is connected to somebody, but it wasn't well done.

And Rei giving Kaoru sweets is so much more natural than her "romance" with Kouga...

It's time for them to start showing the main plot, or they won't have time to do it properly. Unless it's a lame plot.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I too had some question marks in my head when I saw the horror eat the guy a-la 69.

I agree with the statements about this being a less than stellar episode. I did enjoy the season 1 plots more, as they just seemed darker and made more sense.

Today's horror brought to you buy Kaku Ranger! (Amikiri).
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I'm in the camp of thinking that there was foreshadowing, and the kind mother became domineering, insisting her daughter follow in her footsteps. Eventually it became at least mentally abusive. (And think of how weird it was she checked her daughter everywhere after hearing she wasn't hit by the car, she looked like she wanted to strip her and inspect her).

Overall, pretty dull which is sad. I could write more interesting monster of the week episodes than whoever is cranking these out. Thank goodness for ~~preview!!~~.
crazybus
Favorite series: Ryuki/Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto/Dekaranger
Favorite Band: Cradle of Filth
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Obaa-chan said this, 'Make the world revolve around you. It's more fun to think that way.'"

Post by crazybus »

m4rc0 wrote:What a boring episode. The fights and the drama were lame. This is adult toku and this episode was straight from a teen drama except for the mother becoming a kaijin and getting killed by a guy in silver wolf armor.
It may have been teen drama-ish, but at least it was more "adult" than most of the episodes so far. I've been disappointed with pretty much every episode until now, so it was nice to finally have something that didn't feel like it could work as a generic children's Toku ep (let's go off and find a mythical beast to stroke with our brushes!).
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

it feels like the whole series so far has just been filler...

Return to “Makai Senki”