Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Garo Makai Senki 18 released

Post by Alessar »

YES! We have Evil Twin! For the sake of both the character and the logic and continuity of the show.
shadowneko003 wrote:So they went with the evil twin/imposter story for Leo. You think that brush Leo was carrying was Red Mask's?
Nope, you're talking about the ruined one he showed to Kaoru in the spirit trip episode right? (Where I pointed out if he was Red Mask that was the perfect chance to just stalk and kill a spirit beast.) When he was showing it to Kaoru, he had a momentary flash of another woman. My guess at the time was that it was the brush of a makai priestess important to both him and Red Mask, who I was positing as either a brother or good friend (I was hoping Mystery Priestess would be Leo's sister and Red Mask her lover and his best friend, but twins works) and whose death drove his brother batshit evil; and also whose death was somehow the "fault" of a knight for not saving her.

The tropes and formulas write themselves when you put them together.

I can't say I'm super shocked Leo pulled out a real Makai sword. Dude is badass, he probably went off and forged it himself. After all, Red Mask had the ankoku-Garo sword and armor and that needs countering.

Another reason is that we got that weird bit of foreshadowing in the episode that flashbacked to Kouga's childhood at knight summer camp. There was that kid (Purple right? Like Red Mask's hair) who also dabbled with a brush. At the time, a lot of people thought Purple was kid Leo, or at least reminded them of him. Well, that was apparently Checkov's makai calligraphy brush. The entire point of that character, in hindsight, was to show that some people were talented enough to do either sorcery or swords, but of course doing both would be bucking the system so they had to choose one. Officially. (Something Rekka can sympathize with!)

I think that in the end we're going to find out that a big chunk of the trouble going on has to do with the overall organization being so hidebound. If Latus-"dono" is any indication, they're more than do for a housecleaning. Why not let someone do sword and magic? Why not let a woman be a knight? Let everyone fight to their own ability, I say. You've also got people like Rekka's friend who clearly belongs in a workshop cranking out potions and gadgets for other people to use and not being on the front line. (In a slap fight, I would put cash money on Kaoru winning against him.) Then you've got people like Jabi and Rekka. Jabi should have like 1-2 trainee Makai knights carrying her luggage and killing what needs cutting.

What I'm really concerned about is this Gannon thing Red Mask is working on. He's got something bigger than just killing the knights and taking over planned. He told Jabi he has to basically make a new world for the priests to exceed the knights. So that means some kind of big spell, and I would not be surprised if it turned out he's going to sacrifice a bunch of the sympathizer priests too. Maybe feed them to some gouryuu and let them be assimilated or something nasty like that.

Well, we'll see. It's all speculation!
Yuusha
7X
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider AGITO
Dreamy: Anna Nagata
Favorite Actor?: Shigeki Hosokawa
Favorite Band: SHAKA LABBITS!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Io Shirai
Quote: "Even if one evades the fangs of the Dragon by soaring high, they are drawn in by its furious winds, then are shredded by the claws"

Post by Yuusha »

Its dawning on me that this storyline is the flipside of the coin of Kamen Rider HIBIKI. What if TAKESHI was envious of the role the Oni Riders played in the war with the Makamou? What is they rebelled?

Of course that scenario doesn't exactly play out since TAKESHI support doesn't have anything like Makai Priests abilities but it is an interesting comparison. I think after this series is over either they restructure things so Makai Priests can multi-class (to put it in D&D terms) or at the very least, we'll get Makai Priests being allowed to change that role to become Knights yet still have that training to rely on to help them (with a new rule about Female Knights put into play).

James
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I honestly was calling for Red Mask to be Grace, since she would be the least likely suspect. Sometimes it's nice to be just completely wrong. So few things are genuinely surprising nowadays.

I kind of feel like it will turn out that fake Leo is the girl who owns the brush. This is just my wild guess though.

By the way, it's Ganon with two n's like the Link villain. Up till now, I've always thought the Zelda character had three n's since in my mind, I pronounce it gan-non. But I guess it's just Ga-non.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Two n's only, lest ye be gannon-banned.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I told you guys he was an evil twin. NOW you believe me.

Roudo is more wicked looking than most horrors.

Kaoru made me want to cry. I was kinda hoping while Kouga was fighting in the Hellmouth that she was going to draw him another upgrade. Maybe next time.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Biogirl
Go Go!
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider...Kabuto
Favorite Actor?: Yamamoto Yusuke
Favorite Band: Funky Monkey Babys
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Otoko nara darekano tameni tsuyoku nare. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h5OlXS8IzI

Post by Biogirl »

So, I like Gouten and all, but that right there was the perfect situation for some shiny golden wings. Am I alone in thinking this.

I figured it would be Wataru that would save Kouga, since it was made obvious that Rei wasn't anywhere nearby. I'm not at all surprised that Leo wasn't Red Mask after all. They tried too hard to make us think that he was. In retrospect it does seem pretty obvious that they were working towards Leo being a knight... but I totally did not expect that. I am very disappointed in myself. I should have seen that coming...but I didn't.
Tokusatsu kotatsu party!
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Biogirl wrote:So, I like Gouten and all, but that right there was the perfect situation for some shiny golden wings. Am I alone in thinking this?
Saejima Kouga wrote:Kaoru made me want to cry. I was kinda hoping while Kouga was fighting in the Hellmouth that she was going to draw him another upgrade. Maybe next time.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

When Red Mask took his sword out of Latus' body, there was no sight of blood on the sword at all. That was a little production error that the studio should've fixed. Lol...Anyways, if there was one thing that the Latus character achieved in this show, its to make people hate him. I was glad to see his character get killed off. The revelation of Leo coming to the rescue at the end was pretty interesting. So is Red Mask is twin brother? So many questions now. Also, I am digging that he is a Makai Knight too. Awesome suit. Finally, glad to see Kaoru be concern about her teacher in the beginning of the episode. I actually hope we see him again in order to properly solve Ep. 17's incident. Unless the writers have other ideas.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>When Red Mask took his sword out of Latus' body, there was no sight of blood on the sword at all.

This series never has any blood. You'll see people get run through with swords and when they undo their transformation they're fine. It's just a relatively bloodless series.

>Finally, glad to see Kaoru be concern about her teacher in the beginning of the episode.

No, the guys are more like her editors. They call her Sensei as a term of respect since she's an artist who's creating this book. (Wait, does she call the first guy sensei at some point) Basically, sensei doesn't always mean teacher. You could refer to doctors and lawyers (Like in Ryuki) and other respectable professionals as sensei.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

takenoko wrote:>When Red Mask took his sword out of Latus' body, there was no sight of blood on the sword at all.

This series never has any blood. You'll see people get run through with swords and when they undo their transformation they're fine. It's just a relatively bloodless series.

>Finally, glad to see Kaoru be concern about her teacher in the beginning of the episode.

No, the guys are more like her editors. They call her Sensei as a term of respect since she's an artist who's creating this book. (Wait, does she call the first guy sensei at some point) Basically, sensei doesn't always mean teacher. You could refer to doctors and lawyers (Like in Ryuki) and other respectable professionals as sensei.
If there is one Japanese term that confuses me, it is Sensei. It's used so much that I automatically think it means teacher, professor, or master or whatever. Lol...That makes sense though Takenoko. Thanks for the clarity. I really wish they would at least add some red blood effect on their swords at times though.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

While it is totally badass, I find it funny that no one knows that Leo is actually a knight, especially for one given a name. Like, I assume someone like Latus or Grace would have at least be knowledgeable with the available knights/priests. Of course, Latus might care less about the knights, but what about Grace herself? Or perhaps Leo's identity is intentionally kept hidden from day one by the senate themselves to have him working undercover.
hisakuya
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by hisakuya »

I think Red Mask is Baragu ver 2. A person who is born in Makai family who rebels against the system because he think they are unfair. Remember that the

reason why Baragu rebelled is the fact that his father killed her mother. He loathe the fact that the Makai knights was not able to save her mother and the

Demons who turned his mother into a monster.

I am guessing that Red Mask and Leo are two sides of the same coin. A single entity split into two distinct but linked individuals. That will likely

explain why Red Mask knows what Kouga is doing when Leo is around.
Xcrossfire753
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Agito, Faiz, W, OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Dreamy: Aso Megumi
Favorite Band: Switchfoot
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Fairy Tail

Post by Xcrossfire753 »

Am I the only one that has noticed that Roudo's armour is PURPLE. I know we saw the boy wonder Purple get eaten alive by that monster, but being the wonder he is, he may have been able to survive, and become a knight in the aftermath through unknown means. It sounds a little far-fetched I realise, but Leo or Red Mask (or both) being Purple makes too much sense. I'm fairly sure in the fight with evil Baron that Leo took a slight interest in Kouga's friendship bracelet things, hinting at the link. And also the way Red Mask said "you know who I am" to Kouga just before Leo jumped in and proceeded to be a total badass also hints at a link in their past.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if somehow, Red Mask is the original, and after his ordeal with the horror, somehow found his way to the cave with Gigi and Ganon at some stage, and in order to wield what I assume is his Horror-arm he had to purge himself of the good in him, which takes the form of Leo. I mean if we look at Leo's name... we instantly think of a lion right? A creature almost always associated with goodness and honour etc.? Alternatively Leo purged the evil from himself and took the name Leo to represent that... but I'm literally just shooting in the dark with this....
Drifterhunt
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Drifterhunt »

You know, Kiba....would totally kicked Red Mask asses 7 times already if he decided to show up on season 1.

just sayin :?
DarkRanger99
Infinity
Favorite series: Power Rangers
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Favorite Actor?: David De Latour
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang

Post by DarkRanger99 »

Imagine Red Mask is really Barago revived?
20 Years and Counting!!!

Return to “Makai Senki”