The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 01 released

Post by XIII »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Yami_01

So Garo returns to our screens, minus the regular cast of the last 8 years, yeap Garo is that old and yet has such little material compared to other shows,

So we have a new Garo, who has the same sort of arrogance that Kouga had, even sounds similar at times, which was slightly weird when I was timing this ep (so this is kinda of blind comments since I havent watched it subbed yet)

Spoiler
Not sure on why the Garo was fighting the law, but was an interesting to watch him escape from the law and for Zaruba to shun the new guy (quite literately is the only line Zaruba has in the whole ep)
Not quite sure on the armor, but I guess with each Garo holder the armor is slightly different, it was between Kouga and his father
Something wolfie will probably go nuts over is what appeared to be a Makai Armored Wolf/Dog
Do like his coat, kinda looks like a cross between kougas and zeros coats
Ending song is nice and kinda catchy
And it appears the horrors have their own language now, interesting

Overall from what I have seen and heard, its was a good ep, shows promise of things to come, I am looking forward now to watching this later and the subsequent episodes in the coming weeks and months.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Not a bad start, considering the main hero is gone. It's an interesting departure from stoic Kouga. Ryuuga has a sense of humor, seems to enjoy life, and has emotions and stuff.

I like how none of the police guys shoot Ryuuga. I liked that he caught the one police guy who was falling, it was a nice character moment (although it didn't look like it was that far of a fall).

I like how it's called Volcity and it's on top of a volcano. Hmmm?

I wonder if that pretty lady who ran into Ryuuga by the statue is Rian, the girl in the end sequence.

Ryuuga doesn't know the Makai language? Then how did he read that letter?

Hey there, Gai. I guess you're a thug in this series? I like the bowman with the glasses. He hangs in the back and observes. I bet he's an awesome long distance guy and his personality is interesting since he doesn't reveal much initially.

The Rivera News Time lady looks like Imura Kumi. Oh it is!

Pretty interesting commercials this time. The Sansei one about switches is good, but also aired like 4-5 times in this episode. Jay Kabira, one of the first seasons Horrors even has a commercial in this.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I guess we're going for an Old West theme this time? It's not bad, it's just wayyyyy different from what I'm used to with Garo.

Ryuuga's unfortunately got none of Kouga's oomph, but maybe I'll grow used to him. I like Gai's new role though, and he seems to be having fun with it.

One thing that really bugged me though was Ryuuga being like "Oh, I have no friends, no family, I am alone" and yet he seems happy as a clam whenever we see him. Yes, people can be happy without friends or family, but don't have a super serious voiceover and then show us something the complete opposite of what you just told us.

Overall the first episode reminded me a lot of a FF opening cutscene. A lot of cool stuff and explosions and it looks awesome but at the end you're kind of like "Buwahh? What just happened?"
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>One thing that really bugged me though was Ryuuga being like "Oh, I have no friends, no family, I am alone" and yet he seems happy as a clam whenever we see him.

Not all loners are unhappy curmudgeonly misanthropes. He's just a wanderer. He comes and goes as he pleases and is a wild spirit. He just doesn't want to be tied down by family and friends.
XIII
The Conspiracy
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

sounds like Eiji
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I like the new direction of Garo but I hoped they do explain the backstory of how Ryuuga became the current Garo. I'm going to guess that the series is set like some decades later after the events of third Garo movie from the technology shown. I feel that Zaruba doesn't accept Ryuuga as the new Garo and thus his armor isn't completely gold like Kouga was.

When they were replaying when Ryuuga was killing the Bride Horror, I thought what's the point but the inclusion of Ryuuga's thoughts show that he wasn't completely reckless in his attempt and everything he did had reason.

I also get an UltraSeven X feeling as well. Futuristic city with a bit of mystery and have heroes hiding in the dark to protect it. At least there's no amnesia hero this time.
Dienz217
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Decade
My boom: NERF-ing
Quote: Just passing through~

Post by Dienz217 »

The series seems interesting but I have never watched any of the previous Garo series. Should I watch the old series or can I easily follow what the story is about with this one?
______*If you're reading this.....You have too much time*______
________________*Proud To Be A Lurker*_________________
StereotypeAsian
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Leo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Takano Hassei
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: 热忱之心不可磨灭,体恤弱者,互相帮助,无论与哪国的人们都能成为朋友。不要丢掉那份感情,纵然这感情被背叛过几百回,这是我不变的愿望

Post by StereotypeAsian »

GARO was never the toku series with the most clear cut sense of where the show is going. The ambiguity is the beauty of it.

That squad lady, was she Yashino from Decade?
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

takenoko wrote:
Ryuuga doesn't know the Makai language? Then how did he read that letter?
The ring might did for him? I dunno, I was thinking the same thing, either he figured it from few words or ring translated it for him.

So...the new Garo is a lone wolf? Looks like from this series you will find a new pack of your own.

So far, I am liking this ep. Seems like I will be enjoying this series, and I know I am going broken trying to collect new Garo toys and merch. Blah.

I like Garo's new design and sword. It's a beautiful sword. So now he got a white sword, black coat unlike Kouga's red/black sword and white coat. So I guess sword's color changes with each owner or something?

But I still can't help but wish there's a cute guy in this series...even though I think I will be loving all characters and plot and designs...ohh so happy to have something worthwhile to watch.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Dienz217 wrote:The series seems interesting but I have never watched any of the previous Garo series. Should I watch the old series or can I easily follow what the story is about with this one?
It probably help if you watched the previous seasons but since there isn't any of the old characters in this that we know of, you could probably watch it on its own.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, this series appears to be a completely new take on Garo. I'd recommend watching the old ones because they're also pretty good, but they don't seem mandatory for enjoying this one.

And that was Yashiro from Decade:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Yami_01#Guest_Stars
Alessar
Salami Commander
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Looks pretty good. I'm not loving the new guy right off but he's not bad, just not grabbing me. I think the girl by the statue is the girl in the end credits, they need to get her into things ASAP too many male characters thrown at us in a clump.

I don't think Zaruba's attitude has anything to do with the armor being partly dark; he's part of, or powering the armor. He's a familiar in ring form to provide bonus magical assists and snarky commentary. The sword & armor are their own thing. Perhaps Ryu has some spiritual trial yet to overcome at which point Zaruba might accept him more and the armor might upgrade, but I don't think there's direct causality between the ring and the sword.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Did anyone else mistake the police lady for Jabi for a quick second?

Who's the Knight with the glasses? He looks familiar.

I'm sure I'll enjoy this series, it's going to be it's own thing clearly. But I do hope there is some kind of tie in to Kouga.
Kind of felt like for a second that maybe Kouga had died when Ryuga was explaining how he got the sword.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The glasses guy is Aoki Tsunenori. It doesn't look like the actor is known for much besides being in some Prince of Tennis musical stuff.
Dax
Infinity
Favorite series: Gokai / Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinken / Kabuto
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Avatar by me.

Post by Dax »

Interesting episode for the new series. I will need to find the second one (only saw the original series).

Garo's darker appearance. I like the little explanation at the beginning. "Currently without its master and former shine" I'm guessing the armour will become more and more gold towards the end of the series as Zaruba accepts the new one as the true Garo.

I liked his demeanour, much more easy going than Kouga. I like how he has a hard time to understand the Makai Language when it's spoken but can read it. Didn't seem weird to me though, just a fun tidbit.
Completed
Sentai: From Deka to Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider: From Ryuki to Zi-O
Other: GARO, Cutie Honey, Sh15uya, Tokusatsu GaGaGa

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”