Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 06 released

Post by XIII »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Yami_06

So we have a slightly musically themed episode this week

I wonder if one of the writers happened to have seen The Pick of Destiny (the Tenacious D film) before writing this, it really does seem like the guy found a pick of horrors to be able to draw horror creatures to the playing, but did provide a nice way to have a rumble going on, Ryuuga does sing for a short while and doesnt sound all that bad, it could have been much worse that what it was, nice to have a rock song for a change instead of pop stuff, I wonder if that was an actual song from some group or just something for the ep as it was catchy at the times you could hear it clearly.

The whole ep was a pain to time, but was overall a fun episode, Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono continues to impress me.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 06 released

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, another great episode. The out of suit stuff is still pretty good. Although at this point, I wouldn't mind maybe a longer in-suit fight?

Does anyone get the feeling that they're doing this series on a budget? I'm getting pretty tired of that mask that Horror humans wear. They used that mask in the Dungeon episode too, with the ladies, didn't they? And the Horror this time was just a fat guy. He didn't change once except for doing the same mouth face thing that the bride and other human Horrors have done. I'm nitpicking, but this is stuff that I can't help but notice.

Glad to see Rivera appear in person.

Ryuuga is so adorably awkward. Why did he pull the flame away instead of lighting the cigarette? That's even more suspicious than actually lighting it XD

I really liked the commercials in this episode too.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I dislike song episodes on principle because it usually ends up being really awkward or really strange. This one wasn't horrible, but I did get a moment of "oh god please tell me he's not" when Ryuuga jumped on the stage.

And I have to agree with take, the face thingey is getting boring. It was cool in the other series because there was variety and innovation, and each Horror was noticeably different, but all of them here are pretty much the same except for the human. To paraphrase Yahtzee - it was groovy pants the first time, but since it seems to happen every time, that swiftly boils it down to just plain pants.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Maybe the Horrors having the same features might be a plot point. I thought Ryuuga was going to stink up the joint but sounded decent though. I do wonder about the song though. It seem like Ryuuga knew it beforehand and wonder if he was a musician at some point before becoming Garo. Also he seems to have the ability to read empathic impressions from objects.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

I certainly hope the face thing is a plot point and not due to the budget. Anyone notice they've really minimized the armor, even Ryuuga henshins for like... a bare fraction of time. It's also the same with the previous episode.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

maybe they are trying to save it for the later half?
Also, Gai kind of sucks, he never gets a chance to transform.
i guess the woman that appears in this episode will be related to the horrors, since she basically dissapeared after the live show.
ALso, i love how the guy doesn't make any comment about the green flame, or maybe i'm wrong and green flame lighters are more common than i think.
Akari
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR Faiz/Ryukendo
2nd Favorite Series: GARO
Dreamy: Yuria Haga(Mari/Mio)
Favorite Actor?: Shouma Yamamoto
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Tokusatsu!!
Quote: Ultimate Ryukendo! Raijin!

Post by Akari »

I really enjoyed this episode strangely. On a side note...did they throw the 99.9 thing out after the first series?

Thanks to guile_bio for his help with the sig and gif
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I think they threw it out in Makai Senki, though I can't remember why. Pretty sure the 99.9 time limit should apply to Ryuuga but I don't think we're actually paying attention to what the previous series did here.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The time limit did briefly reappear in Makai Senki but I would guess they didn't want to spam it all the time.
StereotypeAsian
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Leo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Takano Hassei
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: 热忱之心不可磨灭,体恤弱者,互相帮助,无论与哪国的人们都能成为朋友。不要丢掉那份感情,纵然这感情被背叛过几百回,这是我不变的愿望

Post by StereotypeAsian »

It's a nice change of pace from that double whammy two episodes ago. Anyone knows where I can get a copy of the song?
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I think it's a double point: they have budget, so they decided to go with mass-produced horrors that look more similar. They only appear truly different if they've fully possessed a human and evolved into a true horror, otherwise we get the Blade III vampire face.

It seems very likely Ryuga was a musician at some point, not raised as a Makai Knight at all. That is atypical of the characters on this show, so we may have a really interesting backstory to see soon.
DereklBarona
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/W
Quote: When in doubt, Rider Kick.

Post by DereklBarona »

I'm starting to get that budget vibe from this show as well. Also, Buffy called, they want their generic vampire props back.

I think I'm really starting to understand Ryuuga's character. He makes a lot of sense if you think of him more as a somewhat innocent kid compared to everyone else. Ryuuga doesn't seem to me like he has that kind of Makai upbringing, and it shows in how much less cynical he is about the world around him compared to how Kouga did things. Horrors are bad, and he'll defeat the Horrors, but he doesn't seem to understand the WHY of it all like someone who's known how this works his whole life would. Add in the fact that he seems to be some level of empathetic and caring, and it makes him into a much more lamb in a wolves den sort of hero than we're used to from Garo in general. That sort of idealism vs cynicism contrast will probably end up defining a lot of his character during the rest of the show.
JonSilver
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JonSilver »

There's some amazing action and choreography going on, and it's all out of suits! I don't mind that so much as long as it's good, that being said...

The animation of the CG is so bad and awkward by comparison :\ with the exception of the predator mouth thing the horrors have going on and the transformation, the movement is so stiff and blatantly CG. I really wish they'd just go with traditional suits, especially for stuff like this episode where it wasn't even required. Overall it's still a good show, but it feels really weird for a toku that the suit action is the low point. :\
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I like the season and all but. Most of the horrors look the same with the exception of Endou and the fatty monster from episode 3. The CG suits look awkward when fighting. But since it's Garo I'm going to bare with it for now.
Strykor
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkengers
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Alignment: Neutral
Quote: Ever have one of those flashbacks...

Post by Strykor »

I got a feeling that they're running this series as an experiment to see which costs more: CGI overlays plus the VAs for the larger monsters or suits, suit extras, and VAs for the human-sized, but non-human formed, monsters as well as the bigger ones.

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”