DereklBarona
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/W
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: When in doubt, Rider Kick.

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 10 released

Post by DereklBarona »

Honestly, this episode is probably one of the most basic ones we've had so far in this show. It's basically just a breather episode after the running marathon of curbstomping we've been taking from Sonshi and his Horror squad over the last, well, most of the series so far. Seriously, when you stop and look, every episode Sonshi's been directly involved in has ended with us losing in some way or another, so getting a break from that is nice.

That said, good job on the whole stalker thing, Ryuuga. I'm just waiting for someone to photoshop Slenderman into that shot of him standing out by the gate smiling, at this point, because goddamn that was creepy.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I don't get how she gets from the library to the classroom without knocking Ryuuga out.

Okay episode. Liked that bait and switch for the civilian protagonist of the week. Its a shame that Ryuuga hasn't learnt his lesson and is still getting normal people involved.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

dekamaster wrote:my only gripe with this episode (other than ryuuga's stalker smile threw the window because that just wasn't a good idea on his part) was that Nao went from getting knocked on her back from a hard shot to suddenly back in the classroom going after tsuboi like nothing had happened between her and Ryuuga.
Actually, I thought at first that there was another horror, and that Takeru/Gai/Rian would come to save the boy.

Pretty weird, almost a raccord mistake.

P.D: What happened with the madou fire and the horses? Do you think that they are going to use them in this season?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I thought that was Kyoryuuger's Green Ranger too.

I wish Nao's character had been given a scarier horror appearance other than the quick Predator-esque mouth.

I would think that Ryuuga is trying to have a little fun with his criminal status, thus he's creepy smile. It's got to make one crazy running and hiding from everyone like he now has to do.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Jaw's not right. Plus he's busy with Kyouryuu, he doesn't have time to be an extra in Garo.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

dekamaster wrote:P.D: What happened with the madou fire and the horses? Do you think that they are going to use them in this season?
If your talking about when the Makai Knights use the Madou Fire on their armor to give them more attack power then no they're not going to use it. Zaruba even said that it wouldn't work on the Madou Horrors so I'm guessing they won't use it for the season. And I don't think Ryuga has slayed over a hundred horrors in order to do the ordeal to get a Madou Horse. He probably just started using the Garo armor so they won't use Kouten for the season either.
swb90
Go Go!

Post by swb90 »

Demas21 wrote:Did anyone else notice Shiono Akihisa (AKA Souji from Kyouryuuger) in the background during the classroom scenes?
looked more like Wataru from KR Kiva to me >.>
have to agree i didn't quite like this episode....
so far i found the fight with Sonshi and the earlier dungeon Horror the most interesting
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

OOOKaiser wrote:
dekamaster wrote:P.D: What happened with the madou fire and the horses? Do you think that they are going to use them in this season?
If your talking about when the Makai Knights use the Madou Fire on their armor to give them more attack power then no they're not going to use it. Zaruba even said that it wouldn't work on the Madou Horrors so I'm guessing they won't use it for the season. And I don't think Ryuga has slayed over a hundred horrors in order to do the ordeal to get a Madou Horse. He probably just started using the Garo armor so they won't use Kouten for the season either.
Yeah, but they fight with normal horrors too. And about the madou horse, Ryuuga maybe, but Kusugami is a high-class warrior, and he seems experienced, strategically speaking at least.
DereklBarona
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/W
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: When in doubt, Rider Kick.

Post by DereklBarona »

Dragonfan wrote:Yeah, but they fight with normal horrors too. And about the madou horse, Ryuuga maybe, but Kusugami is a high-class warrior, and he seems experienced, strategically speaking at least.
I dunno. Something I took away from last week's episode is that all three of them are still really green as knights and fighters. Aguri's a decent strategist, but he thinks too much like a lone archer at this point to be all that effective (Case in point, he practically choked last week when he was forced into close range, and could barely even defend himself beyond just staying alive), and doesn't really seem like he's all that experienced, trained or not. I wouldn't put any of them over forty kills at this point, and even that's kind of generous.
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

PHurricane wrote:I'm sad to admit that this is the first toku show that I'm considering abandoning watching. I'm guessing we're a little over a third of the way through the season, and I'm flat-out bored whenever I sit down to watch an episode.
Meh, it's pretty much how I feel about it.
And that was the beginning, then came the episode with the rocker...

My biggest problem is that I really can't stand Ryuga's actor (he smiles WAY too much and I can't see how he could be fitting for that role) but the writing isn't really helping.

This episode didn't make sense at all. A lot of cuts made just to avoid CG or any sort of effect (or action actually), did they blow half of the budget already?

Also a lot of missing reactions like when the kid covered for Ryuga and his father never asked why he did that... WTF?
If a kid covers for a wanted killer show at least some concern, would you?

Then the kid keeps doing exactly what he's been told to avoid until the espisode ends and Ryuga smiles to the camera like in every other scene transistion.
MarcosPMA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ahim
Favorite Actor?: Masaki Suda
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Penguins :3
Quote: Sekia wo sore o Ai to Yubun da ze!

Post by MarcosPMA »

So, people don't usually like filler episodes, and rightfully so, they don't really advance the plot but help build the world and the characters so that the plot driven episodes make sense, but at least they serve a purpose. This episode...did absolutely nothing. We don't need another reminder of how Ryuuga wants to help people. The episode fits the theme of "things aren't always how they appear", "the people closest to you can sometimes be extremely dangerous", "horrors are everywhere in Volcity", etc etc, but we already know that. No one else from the Makai team was in the episode, so we didn't get to see any of the main characters really. Ryuuga himself didn't really do much, so he wasn't even the main draw for the episode. Most of the story was focused on Tsuboi, but he was a bland character as well.

TL;DR - What was the point of this episode?

Having said all that, the series itself is not unwatchable. It reminds me of Angel, which happens to be one of my favorite TV series (only series I've bothered to get all seasons on DVD for.) (Also, Joss Whedon is AMAZING, seriously, his stuff is awesome). It has a dark theme, "brooding" main character, good support cast (even if I think they're being completely underutilized), and a "us vs. them" mentality. I could do more comparisons, but I think that's enough. Most of the filler episodes (like in Garo), are independent stories from the main plotline, that mostly serve further develop characters. The thing is though, is that the filler episodes still move the plot forward. In some way, shape, or form, the filler episodes push you a little more forward than where you started. I'm not getting that feeling with Garo. It feels like the plot episodes are somewhat connected to each other, while the filler ones don't do much of anything. That is my opinion anyway. I'll still watch it though.
SPACE KITA!!!!!!!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>TL;DR - What was the point of this episode?

I don't think every episode needs to have "a point". The story was about the kid this time. They all can't be winners, kid!
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I'm a little meh about this episode too. These episodes are all being written by different people right? I didn't like the feeling that this episode provided. I did not like Ryuuga looking creepy outside the window too. That was weird. Also, there weren't much special effects in here and I truly believe they used up their budget on the previous episode and went light on this one. Ryuuga had to summon his armor and kill Nao's character while she was still in human form. Now that's something you don't see often. Seemed like Nao got to do a lot of her action too besides that obvious stunt double on the huge jump down the window. Nao's Horror form looks like every other form too. Man, I really wish this show had a variety of Horrors. Please give us an explanation!!!! I did feel sorry for the high school kid though. Forgot his name and kinda sympathized with him.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Looks like there's three writers and one co-writer who also doing directing on some of the episodes. The guy who wrote this episode also wrote episode 3 and 6.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

As filler episodes go, I thought this was decent. I thought the kid would turn out to be a horror and it was the teacher instead. I'm frankly shocked he was alive at the end. Oh look, another person without erased memories who now knows the truth. That's going to be a plot point still, I predict. Like, league of Makai Knight Friends 2.0 will happen.

I noticed in the 2nd episode Omnibus wasn't doing the SFX. Seriously, I think they're better this season than on Makai Senki. To me season 2 had a lot of problems with compositing, possibly due to being in HD. I thought it's been more consistent this season, though I felt the green screen was very noticeable in the train episode the other week.

Call a spade a spade: they have less budget and they're trying to stretch it. Unfortunately they need stronger stories to hold the viewers. My guess is that Someone has A Story in mind and it is Artistic and we need to wait patiently for it to Come Together and then we mere viewers can Appreciate The Cleverness and all will seem great. Same problem that ruined True Blood after the first season IMHO.

Season 1 was great because we knew who Kouga was, we knew his and Kaoru and Gonza's story, even Rei had something going on, we cared about those characters. We still know jack about any character on this show except that we know Ryuga can be a rocker and has mommy memories of significance. Where is any of the knight's origin story? Where is any of them's goals beside doing the dutiful here in VolCity, horror feeding ground of the future.

Oops, unexpected rant. Carry on....!

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”