MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 14 released

Post by MissTokuLover »

Redacted
The action was limited in this ep, but it didn't bother me too much, I was more interested in the storytelling rather than the visuals in this ep because I thought the Horror was decent enough to explain some important details about the Horrors that would be of big help to the Makai heroes. I figured being a trickster, he did tell a few lies, but I thought he would've said at least something significant that would help them. But then again, I did watch the raws so I only understood about 25% of it, Although being a trickster, but I love the part when Ryuga was able to give him a taste of his own medicine and turned things around in the end.

The Horror is indeed very weird, but in a rather creepy way, I certainly felt a little creeped out by him and wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere with him, even if he wasn't a Horror! I wouldn't feel safe with a creepy weird man like him! Kudos to the actor who portrayed him, he was very convincing in his role.
But gosh, I did pity the Horror when it was revealed that he's a son in the Kaneshiro family. Frankly, from the previous eps, I sort of already had the impression that the Kaneshiro family is somehow connected to the Horrors in Volcity, so it wasn't much of a surprise when that was more or less confirmed.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Overall I thought the technical merits of this episode were really poor (green screen, sound, and cinematography).

Secret stairs under the huge bowl CGI graveyard? Interesting. Abandoned movie theater? WTF. What was down there, a bomb shelter? I'm disappointed the graveyard didn't turn out to be the Ancient Ruins the city is built over.

Interesting to know that there's been an absence in the lineage of Garo for a "long" time.

As far as the "cure" idea for the Madou horrors ... Hyena actually grasped at it so strongly he scratched his head on the sword of Garo on the chance it might be true. So apparently he had some regret somewhere.

Priest Burai knew the name of "Madou horror" so maybe he really was up to speed with the scroll but wasn't sure if it was authentic. I'm a bit disappointed though, I thought it would turn out that Kaneshiro was doing something like extracting cells from a great horror corpse and making synthetic horrors with a mix of sorcery and evil mad science, not that there was a supply of seeds.

Another nitpick I have, the red knight used his madou lighter and got green flame. Garo uses green flame for his lighter and blazing armament, Rei always used a bluish silver flame, and the 3 guys in this show already demonstrated they use green, blue and red flames.
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu

Post by Arawynn »

Both Zaruba and Burai know a lot than they are letting on. I can hardly wait for the next ep!
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

A date in a cemetery? Come on Rian, I'm sure you can found better than that, but it's still unusual. :mrgreen:

A psychologist with these hair then going pale with little hair and going Horror? Why am I thinking of Barago?

The generic Madou Horror can finally be explained in being Zedom's form, but for Rivera and Enhou, I don't know.

Preview
Spoiler
So they finally will revealed the story behind Ryouga and maybe the reason why Garo is black now.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Still not a fan of the first person shots to be honest.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

Weird episode was weird.

The long elaborate trap was also kind of too elaborate to be believable. You'd have to setup the right number of targets and send them to do the exact kind of things to try and get them killed? umm...

At least some plot development was mixed in so the whole ep wasn't a waste.
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

Ok I just watched the subbed version and it makes much more sense to me now, knowing everything that happened in the episode has enabled me to form a mature opinion about it.

I still really enjoyed the ep, even more so now that I understand everything, though being a trickster, at least Hyena did tell them a few valuable & helpful information about the Madou Horrors, so at least this ep still contributed to the main story, so I do not see anything wrong with this ep as far as the storytelling goes.

I still pity Hyena, it's obvious he was miserable with what he's become & the pathetic life he ended up having, and desperately wants to be turned back into a human, being turned into a Madou Horror was most likely something that was unwillingly forced onto him, and what made this sadder is that it was his own father who did this to him. Ironically being a trickster, he also got tricked by Ryuga at the end, but I think that just proves how desperate and passionate he was about wanting to be human again. He wanted to be a human again so badly that he was dumb enough to believe that a Makai Knight would help him, I think as long as it has to do with being turned back into a human, Hyena would probably be dumb enough to believe ANYONE's words.
It's because of these reasons that I don't dislike Hyena as much as I do with most of the other Horrors, yes he tricked Ryuga & the others, but I think it's just because he was still loyal to his father & the Kaneshiro family, as a Madou Horror he still felt he had an obligation to kill the Makai knights. But he was also the only Horror so far who was shown to have been genuinely disheartened with his life & desperately wanted to become a normal human again. And he did gave Ryuga & the others some helpful facts about the Horrors, so I give him another point for that.
I actually quite like Hyena, despite the fact he still creeps me out, he is 1 of the only few horrors I don't dislike, the other is Enhou.

And Burai certainly knows more about the Horrors than he is letting on, hope we'll find out just how much he knows very soon.

As for the random sound effects, well, I was ok with them, I felt they helped to add a bit of comedic energy into the scenes, and I thought those sounds blended quite well with the bizarre persona that they were trying to give Hyena. However, I will have to agree that the random sounds were a bit overused I reckon.
takenoko wrote:The only thing that stood out to me is that the director really likes staring at women's legs.
This is a Tokusatsu for adults after all, with some nude scenes, so that is to be expected from the director, staring at women's legs is really nothing compared to staring at women's private parts.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Wow, didn't know this ep had tons of sound effects (until I saw this thread), even though as annoying as it is to you guys, at least you guys can hear it.

What about me? For me as huge Garo fan, I basically get nothing from this ep visual-wise, lol. Barely any action, dialogue (other than important information for plot) and shaky camera to boot. And Hyena's face...I dunno if it was poor make up job or they did it on purpose but you could tell white paint was applied on his face.

But at least we got to see regular horror minions again. I felt like it was a while since we have seen regular horror minions.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
MissTokuLover
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by MissTokuLover »

Also as for Rian, once again she has shown us her talent in magic, throughout the series so far we have seen some powerful and impressive magic spells from her, and in ep 14 once again she has excelled; created a spell that restores a person's voice, and then a spell that enabled them to hack into the SG-1 database without being detected.

Many fans seem to criticize Rian for being physically weaker than Jabi and Rekka, although I agree to some extent and her aim when she uses her gun still needs some polishing, but when it comes to magic & spell casting, I think she's up there on the same level with the other 2.
Rian may be weaker as a combat fighter, but she's one powerful & talented magician.
StereotypeAsian
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Leo
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Takano Hassei
Favorite Band: Bon Jovi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Toku in general
Quote: 热忱之心不可磨灭,体恤弱者,互相帮助,无论与哪国的人们都能成为朋友。不要丢掉那份感情,纵然这感情被背叛过几百回,这是我不变的愿望

Post by StereotypeAsian »

Well, it's nice to see the classic horror again, if anything.
harpdevil
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W / GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger

Post by harpdevil »

Lunagel wrote:
Not because of the plot, which was weak. Not because of the fight scenes, which were tolerable. This was the worst bit of cinematography I've ever seen, coupled with absolutely horrendous sound effects that were irritating at best and downright wrong at worst.
+1
Image Demon beasts called Horrors live in the darkness. This is a story of a Makai Knight who cuts down the Horrors. You better not look away.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Thanks for the episode one more time!.

I'm the only one already tired of the "1 hit kills" ? I know that they can't make all the fights like episode 9 but the horrors are really weak in this arc. They can't put up a fight! so useless!... Looks like we will need to wait until Ryuuga vs Rivera for a more decent fight.

Off topic: Rekka is so fucking hot! What is the name of the actress? and the next episode looks promising...
Final Vent!
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

You guys really critique the life out of this show. I'll admit I wasn't impressed with the first 7 or 8 episodes but geez.
Dragonfan wrote: Kouga, we meet again.
We've met before?

I enjoyed this episode. I found it entertaining and suspenseful and it felt like traditional Garo. Hyena was actually an enjoyable character and he was properly named as he was a tricky one.

However the preview at the end for the next episode didn't really suggest what will be going on next episode. Ambiguous title is ambiguous. How about a Hint as to what the episode is going to be about?
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Not a fan of this episode either. I did like that they were trying to make the atmosphere creepy but once they got inside the place and the old guy came in, things started to go downhill. I didn't like how the old guy groped Rian as well. I figured that was going to happen when he was holding Rian from behind. So I guess the big reveal here was that we find out someone is turning people into Horrors. Didn't we all guessed that from the beginning? Lastly, I was confused with the ending. If I have to rate this show overall so far, it's get an average rating with me wanting the Garo series to end.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

This is one of my favourite episodes of this series thus far. All you guys saying it was crap, I'm just boggling here. This is classic Garo, non-stop. The Golden Knight has a palaver with a Horror, they go back and forth the entire episode, and just when the Horror thinks he's won... nope! Garo-ken cuts to the chase and it's over.

Seriously, you could have replaced Ryuuga with Kouga and it would have played out just the same. This is Garo.

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”