Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 14 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Yami_14

Kind of a weird episode with a weird guy. Man, that smile.

While there were a few visually striking moments, thinking back on it, sort of a blah kind of episode? There wasn't really anything really that fun to latch onto. It was just a lot of weird bits that seemed weird for being weird's sake. I mean quirky.

Come on Horror, if you know about Garo, why would you touch his MAGIC SWORD THAT KILLS HORRORS?!

And yet, I guess we know a bit more about the plot? So the guy's Kensui's son. Also, the singer is important. And it sounds like we might have the big bad of the series, at least namewise?

I dunno, kind of a let down after the last two episodes being so good. But like my favorite saying goes, they all can't be winners kids!

I hope the acting in the commercial isn't representative of the actual movie for Tougen.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 14 released

Post by Lunagel »

I hated this episode.

HATED.

Not because of the plot, which was weak. Not because of the fight scenes, which were tolerable. This was the worst bit of cinematography I've ever seen, coupled with absolutely horrendous sound effects that were irritating at best and downright wrong at worst.

I'm not saying you can't have odd camera angles in a movie. Some of the greatest movies are the ones that have pioneered new ways to showcase their footage. But this just seemed like some kid right out of film school who wants to try all these angles because he saw them in his textbook or something. There was a whole five seconds where I was looking at just the theater with nothing in focus. Point-of-view angles are again, very interesting when used correctly, but there was absolutely no reason for them to be in there. All these strange angles just end up jumbling what could be a decent episode into a mess. I nearly screamed when I saw the random upside-down shot. The shadow fighting on the movie screen actually interested me for a moment, I was hoping we would get maybe a bit more there but it was only for the one attack and it was a complete waste of a cool idea.

And while I'm bitching, OH MY GOD GET YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE SOUND EFFECTS. What in the name of FUCK was with all those random sounds? There was again, no reason. Just random squeaks whenever he threw the bag around and something that sounded like an accordion dying. Why? We never saw what was in the bag. Do we even care what was in the bag? I expect these sound effects from Sentai, not an adult show like Garo. I haven't gotten this mad at the sound guy since Nadeshiko's sounds in Ultimatum but even then they only added them in when she did some attack.

tl;dr story standpoint okay episode, technical standpoint, utter failure.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I didn't really pay that much attention to the camera work, but it seemed fine to me. The only thing that stood out to me is that the director really likes staring at women's legs.

The worst scene for me was the ghost of the opera lady, who didn't look like she was actually singing.

The squeaky noises are kind of annoying, but I get them. The guy's a weird goofy eccentric. How quirky.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

if you only listening to the sound during the first minute you get the completely wrong idea of what is going on, I had to stop timing just to check the video for what was going on, cause it really did sound like ryuuga and rian making out on a squeaky bed

the most annoying sound had to be the film projector, but thats to be expected with the location, but it was irritating,

cant really think of anything interesting that happened in the ep, another so so but not so annoying as one of the earlier eps
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

I actually didn't mind the episode all that much, save for the squeaky sounds and some weird camera angles. What on earth, did they get some three year old to manage the sounds this time? They should ban the guy who was in charge of the sounds this time around.

And the whole "Sophia" ghost thing... It didn't quite sound like the normal song of the singing girl. Maybe it's just me.

So... Burai has a scroll containing the legend of Zelda Zedom, and it tells of how Madou Horrors are created, but he decides not to tell the Makai Knights? That's... kinda weird. Same goes for Zaruba... I would think that Zaruba would have mentioned stuff too. The only comment by Zaruba that I can recall was that it's gonna be a pain to identify the Madou Horrors in one of the earlier episodes. Also, why didn't the Makai Knights go "Priest Burai, how do you know they are called Makai Horrors?" when he first mentioned it to them?

Burai knows Sophia? What's with the weird colours with Burai's reflection at the end?

Preview:
Spoiler
Also, the comment that "Garo disappeared a long time ago"? I really wanna know what actually happened to Garo's gold, and looks like in the next episode, we might know a bit more. Funny how the title for the next episode is "Hint"... Maybe they're gonna show us what hints they've dropped previously and we might have missed?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>And the whole "Sophia" ghost thing... It didn't quite sound like the normal song of the singing girl. Maybe it's just me.

I think you've misunderstood. The Sophia stuff was just bullshit from Hyena to get them into a trap. Sophia doesn't really sing the song, that's why they don't sound the same, plus you as the viewer have seen the actual girl singing in the Madou Horror base.

>Burai knows Sophia?

The singer, maybe? That's not Sophia though.

> What's with the weird colours with Burai's reflection at the end?

It's just an effect to show something ominous about Burai.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

> I think you've misunderstood. The Sophia stuff was just bullshit from Hyena to get them into a trap. Sophia doesn't really sing the song, that's why they don't sound the same, plus you as the viewer have seen the actual girl singing in the Madou Horror base.

Oh right... Why did I forget about the singing girl in the base? /smacks head.

> It's just an effect to show something ominous about Burai.

Well, it's really badly done in my opinion. It just comes off as weird. =/
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

Overall a rather boring slap dash kind of episode... It was odd how they opened with a very creepy atmosphere that felt like it had potential, but the minute they went down those steps it became absurd and silly. I wonder if they were trying to channel Alice in Wonderland?

The set, sounds, camera work, and costuming just did not work. However I did like the idea of the Horror being a trickster type, it just could have been used to better effect. I also liked how Ryuuga turned it around and tricked the Horror.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Merisusa wrote:However I did like the idea of the Horror being a trickster type, it just could have been used to better effect.
Didn't we have kind of a trickster horror in Garo's first season. That guy who liked to play games.

Plus the accordion sounds during the fight scene was pretty weird. The guy who directed this was just drunk or high.
Last edited by OOOKaiser on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miyagishin
Humongous
Favorite series: Den-O
My boom: Suit Actors!
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

I too hated the squeaky accordion sounds. Now that you all pointed it out, the projector sound can be heard during the majority of the show.

While we are on that subject of bashing the sound. All of the sword slashes/magic are re-used. The reverberation noise on the armor is always the same, always, no variation it seems. That's to be expected but its really noticeable this series. If you don't believe me listen to the sounds effects in the commercial. So I agree with the opinion that the Sound Designer/Mixer should be replaced for this series.

I liked the opening, and the plot could have been amazing but they just made it a boring errands episode. Go here, oh monster fight, go there, more monster fights, "okay u got me", now we fight. Nothing really interesting happened. I miss the really creepy characters from the previous two series, who would made the episodes memorable, as well as the more interesting plots.

Oh well... til next episode. Maybe the story will start to move along a little faster.
Spoiler
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Wow, I'm surprised with the reactions, I liked the episode.

Two things that I'm curious about:

- We have the "Seven apostle horrors" concept, why don't use them instead of creating a new powerful horror?
- They showed us the mouth horrors, then the horrors with the white mask, and now they open a portal and... Traditional horrors again?

EDIT: Now that I see the commercials... We have release date for Tougen no fue, but not for Soukoku no maryu? Man...
dat20091
Go Go!
Quote: "Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..."

Post by dat20091 »

The episode okay, it was kind of weird and annoying
it had the traditional horror and I was like YES FINALLY
And then they basically got cut for that whole scene with Ryuuga and the weird guy
They need more traditional horrors instead of the mouth ones, because the traditional ones, well to me looks way more scary and stuff while compared to the mouth ones, which just scream with their mouth open, but they're like normal humans besides that visually

Dragonfan wrote: EDIT: Now that I see the commercials... We have release date for Tougen no fue, but not for Soukoku no maryu? Man...
Shoukoku no maryu has been out, just they haven't released the date for it's dvd release
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Soukoku no Maryuu and Tougen no Fue are getting a double release on September 4
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Lunagel wrote:Soukoku no Maryuu and Tougen no Fue are getting a double release on September 4
Oh, that's nicem thanks. Kouga, we meet again.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i would have prefered if the horror was actually honest in helping the makai knights and was just weird. i feel like it is a waste to have the madou horrors just as sligtly stronger horrors. i would like a madou-horror who is an anti-hero, or something of a neutral figure.
i don't mind the sound effects or the camera angles, i think it had it's charm with this particular horror.

i liked the "cats on a trip" commercial, they were adorable.

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”