Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 21 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Yami_21

Sweet episode. Liked a lot of things about it. So let's start with what I didn't like. Burai, damn it, is that a robot hand you're making? Way to undo all the interesting stuff that happened a few episodes back.

Enhou has always been a problem character for me. A character with no volition or control over their fate is not an interesting one, even if they had an interesting backstory. The series has dropped hints that it might be possible to turn Madou Horrors back into humans, so I figured that would be the case when Rian begs for Enhou's life before. But nope.

And maybe that's a good thing, at least for the canon of the story. We've already seen how damaging "magical cures" can be to the world building of a story, so this was pretty much the perfect way to end Enhou's story. It also really made me like Rian's character more too, as well as reenforced their friendship as being something more than just drinking while the boys are away.

The fighting was interesting too. Seeing Enhou with her cqc and military use of grenades was a refreshing variation of battle that we don't usually see in Garo.

The use of the SG-1 mooks was good too. First we see them as a minor hindrance to a goal. They're not real fret, but they're still an obstacle. In the end, they're really just innocent cops that don't know any better. So after the beat down at the beginning, we see another side to them. You can tell they care about their captain, and are genuinely worried for her when she falls. And when they salute when she's taken away, that's so good. It's the perfect complement to Rian's way of memorializing her friend.

Edit: Oh weird I wonder if this is more proof that Rian is the daughter of Saori, the priest that got eaten by Sonshi at the last Zedom ritual. Since he says she's from Jinkei. Then again, maybe that's because her dad was with the group. I still wonder what Jinkei is, since I don't recall that being mentioned in any lore previously.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Garo Yami wo Terasu Mono 21 released

Post by zeta_gundam »

What was that drink given to Rian? How can she suddenly sing that song?

I doubt Burai's making a robotic hand. It looks like it's merely a prosthetic fist. I can deal with a fist, but no robot hand please. That's like undoing all the good progress the show has made in the last few episodes. Speaking of undoing things... did Aguri's bow just magically join together?!

Enhou's own personality seems to be completely lost. I mean, Rivera doesn't sound like a robot. But Enhou just seems to be a doll following orders all the time ever since she fully became a Madou Horror.

Another thing that's not adding up for me: why didn't Enhou disappear into ashes/oblivion like other Horrors? Granted, it's for the events of the latter half of the show to transpire, but...

Hakana's actress can't really pull off the blind woman act. Ryuuga's actor did way better in this respect. I almost forgot that she's supposed to be blind.

---------

CMs:

Darn, the Maple French Toast cm is making me hungry.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

A drink that forces Rian to sing the song. EHHH???

But how did Burai made a robotic hand like that for Takeru? Never mind. It's clear that Garo interferes the ceremony but I've heard the voice of Zedom for the first time. Rian and Enhou's another fight was good even for Ryuuga.

I thought Enhou is going to be a human... but there's no way. What a nice job for Rian as a disguised Enhou but it's clearly sad.

What a good and still... a sad episode for me. :(

Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

I really liked Rian's dream, with everyone in there. Funny enough, I didn't see Hakana in it. I also liked the part when Rian had been asked about her "ultimate man" and answer "We'll see" while watching Ryuuga. They're shipped again, at least on Rian's side.

For Hakana's actress act as a blind woman, I think it was okay, maybe she could watch a little less at Ryuuga when talking to him.

For Enhou's corpse, I guess she was a recent Madou Horror, so Explodium didn't have the time to be produced.

Oh, and they didn't forgot Barchess.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Great episode as expected from the Garo series. The grenade explosions were a bit much but it was interesting. They should do another season with the same cast or do a movie cause I love this cast now!

Preview:
Spoiler
Zedom's seal is being undone...SHIT IS GOING TO HAPPEN
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

Enhou... a death not wasted because of Rian's plan. Yes, I do agree it was both good but sad at the same time.
Rian was given Red Bull - Horror Flavor hahaha! Get's you singing! (instead of their usual "Get's you going" slogan)
Zedom sounded scary like hell. But then, I hope it will be worth the wait until his grand entrance.
dat20091
Go Go!
Quote: "Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..."

Post by dat20091 »

This episode was great :)
I was wondering why Enhou's body didn't go into ashes
maybe it was because at the end right before she died, she turned human again? only real explaination i can think of O-O
not to mention there was no cut wound, or blood, doesn't even look like she died
but I like how they did this episode with Rian's thing, and the dream was an extra nice touch at the end

Spoiler
Burai seemed like he was going to die in the preview ; n ;
but he seemed badass, first time in the season where he goes rambo and looked cool
DevGryphon
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: SKYRIM!!
Quote: Define normal...
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by DevGryphon »

Good episode. I thought that the second verse of PLATONIC fit this episode perfectly. Especially the "Say goodbye to you" part.
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, may you cheat death; if you steal, may you steal a woman's heart; if you fight, may you fight for a brother; if you drink, may you drink with me.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

As the first mook fight was going on I thought, "can't they mod the hilt on his sword so he can wield it right-handed?" and then it cuts to Burai making a prosthetic fist. I mean, if Ash in Evil Dead could get a weapon hand it makes sense Takeru would. Plus he could get other useful accessories, like an immersion blender, a buzz saw, and a plunger.

The magical geography of the locales is kind of bothering me. If they'd just had the ruins in a nature preserve on the side of the city it'd be fine, but it seems like they have to go down through a certain building to land in the ruins area. Maybe it's sealed in one of those mini-threshold dimensions they've used before like the Makai forest? Maybe they're just doing that thing we see in Rider and Sentai shows where they kick a guy in a warehouse and he flies 20' to land in some completely different place.

Rian making Enhou's death count for something was really well done. She has my respect for determination and follow-through.

I don't think Rian's mom was the other priestess in the ritual. It was just her dad there, he talked about his having a daughter elsewhere. The bottle, I am guessing, was captured voice.

By the way I was thinking how nasty Zedom's corruptive seeds with their mind control powers are and then I realized this is not the first time we've seen a high-level horror with such power. Lemures from Beast of the White Night had similar power, he just used it directly and notably, Kouga was directly infected by him and shrugged it right the hell off. (But that's Kouga!) When Zedom started talking I thought the Madou horrors would immediately come under his control. I can't imagine they are any less extensions of him than Lemures' minions were. I forsee Sonshi picking his "master" up and tossing him right on the seal in a future episode so he can be the host body of Zedom.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

In Rian's dream, Takeru was using his madou hand just as a person uses their regular hand.

This was a really great episode. So glad Rian was rescued. Hated to see Enhou die, I was hoping that cunt Rivera would get cut down first.

Zedom is awake and is wanting to annihilate humanity. What else could a giant evil want to do? Can't wait to see how he's brought into a physical form. He will be the first Horror big bad to be male.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Doguso
Go Go!
Favorite series: OOO/Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: W

Post by Doguso »

I thought the fight with Enhou was underwhelming. There wasn't any real interesting bits, not for a Garo. It felt like sentai quality fighting. And the grenades were HORRIBLE special effects. It just felt so awkward and bad. It was a nice touch but the entire fight was executed bad. Other than that, great episode though.
JonSilver
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JonSilver »

I couldn't help but remember that Akibrangers Tsuu episode where they were talking about the beautiful deaths/ send offs of enemy commanders. This was one of the most beautiful I've seen. I really like what they did with Enhou as a character. The first few episodes sort of established her as the Commissioner Gordon to Ryouga's Batman, then to have her turn around and turn into a horror like that was both cool and sad. I think the contrast in personalities of the Madou Horrors sort of shows the strength of the will of the characters. Enhour and Sonshi both have the stoic thing going on, maybe Sonshi a bit less since he's been under control longer, but I definitely saw it as the human side fighting back against everything they were supposed to do. Rivera... well she's just a plain old heartless bitch. Maybe she was as a human too? Madou Horrors don't have to be made from good people right? Just anybody that's stabbed with those freaky seed daggers.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I like how everyone is complaining about the prosthesis he is making for Takeru. It's Makai technology, ain't gotta explain shit.

Nice thing they did for Enhou, so her comrades think she died an honorable death. It is hard, but all the antagonists are that way not of their own accord (except Tousei).

Also, Rivera is an expert at getting punked by the main team.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

A proper sending off for Enhou, the one with the big sense of justice but unluckily turned from it because of Tousei.

Guess the reason they use the second verse of the ending is to relate back to Rian's monologue. Dammit, hearing it makes me shed manly tears. :(

I'm kinda disappointed that they didn't show a close up of Zen's armor without the right arm though.....And here I thought Aguri was going to pull a Ray style of double handed sword, but no. His bow just magically combine together back.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

Well, apparently the big bad of this season has been awakened. Let's hope he (Or should I say "she"?) will live up better than Ganon in previous season.

I guess why Enhou didn't explode is because she's a special transformation. Perhaps she still had a part that was actually denying herself being a horror. Hence why she acted like a puppet compared to others. In fact, if you watch back at ep16 (19:40-19:50), she's clearly giving her neck for Ryuuga to cut. Seems to be a foreshadowing here.

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”