What if Yami wo Terasu Mono wasn't related to Garo at all

Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

What if Yami wo Terasu Mono wasn't related to Garo at all

Post by Phoenix512 »

With the recent series of Zero Black Blood and Garo Makai no Hana, people begin to talk about comparisons to Yami wo Terasu Mono. From what I gather, people feel that it wasn't Garo and generally don't like because it was different from the previous Garo and Makai Senki.

So the question I posed is, what if Yami wo Terasu Mono was redone that there was no connection to anything to the Garo universe. So like the Makai Knights and Priests would be called something else and same thing with the Horrors. I would like to think that people would probably like it quite a bit since there's no connection to Garo and thus removing the rose-colored filter that the series was inhibiting people to enjoy Yami as it is.

With that being said, it brings the question of spinoffs in general. With spinoffs, you try to do something different but people in general have a need to go back and bring the old series when talking about the spinoff saying it's not like the original. Well that's the whole point of the spinoff, it's not trying to be the same old thing and you knock it because of it.

Another thing that people tend to do with spinoffs that they want to bring the characters from the previous series to the spinoff. If done right, it does help but the mistake that people make is that the spinoff steers away from its own characters and refocus the series with the original characters. They just admit defeat at that point because they felt the new characters wouldn't be able to stand on their own without the original characters. I'm glad that Yami didn't go that route.

One more thing, stop with constant talk about real or CG suits. That's just a minor thing in the grand scheme of things.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: What if Yami wo Terasu Mono wasn't related to Garo at al

Post by Dragonfan »

I don't think that the main topic about the Ywtm hate is because "it's different". Obviously there are people who don't enjoy that season because it's different, but my problem, and the problem that most of people I know have, is that, for us, is not good.

When I heard about Ywtm, the new cast, the new characters, the focus, and even the first episodes, I was totally in. Something different is perfect for me. As a fan or superhero comics, I always like when a new author takes a hero and gives him a different approach. But, as I said, as I continued watching the show, I found more and more problems. Poor script, missing character development for most of them, plotholes getting bigger and bigger, and, even if you don't want to address it, the lack of practical effects plays some role here (though I agree with you, is a minor thing).

So, on the one hand, if Ywtm wasn't related with Garo, it would be equally bad for me.

On the other hand, if they want to try something new again, I'll be on that boat for sure. But different doesn't mean good, nor bad, so I hope more work behind it if they take the risk of doing it (and they sure seem to be doing it with the future anime).
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

Yami was a decent series.

I think of it as an alternate reality to the other GARO stuff. Sort of like how different series of KR are basically different worlds and heroes with similar themes.

Though the mythology was close enough to still be called GARO I think.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I personally like Yami. The CGI wasn't even a problem for me. If I'm gonna be honest sometimes I even liked it a bit more than the actual suits. It's not like it was even "bad" CGI.

The one thing that bothers me is what happened to Garo's glow? I just really wanted them to go into that. Who was the wielder that lost the shine? I figure that'd be a pretty relevant story to tell. Was it a heroic sacrifice? Was he just utter beaten and the glow stolen? Or something. I'd like to know. Maybe in a future series. On connect to the Yami timeline...or universe.

I personal just find the whole Makai and Horror universe interesting as fuck. I'd just about watch anything that gives a deeper insight into that mythos.
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Dragonball
Favorite Band: Metallica
My boom: Garo

Post by Zaruba »

Revorse wrote:The one thing that bothers me is what happened to Garo's glow? I just really wanted them to go into that. Who was the wielder that lost the shine? I figure that'd be a pretty relevant story to tell. Was it a heroic sacrifice? Was he just utter beaten and the glow stolen? Or something. I'd like to know. Maybe in a future series. On connect to the Yami timeline...or universe.
I believe it was explained that the glow and gold of the armor or lack there of was a result in how much the armor itself accepted the Makai Knight. The more worthy the more gold.

That's why it was fighting Ryuga and how Zaruba barely spoke to him in the beginning.

As for the OP. I've always been of the mindframe if it's not broke don't fix it. Why change such a good thing? EVERYTHING about season 1 and 2 is what hooked me and had me fall in love with the show. It obviously wasn't the same director. So for me it was not only because it changed so damn much but it wasn't all that great either. However, it's still Garo so I still liked it. I just don't love it like I do Kouga's story.

And yes CGI is bad in comparison to the suit. No way you can say otherwise, but that's just me.
XIII
The Conspiracy
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

The golden brilliance was used up, not because of the user, Zaruba didnt find Ryouga worthy to start with, thats why he rejected him

Personally I like Yami except for that one ep with all those high pitched voices, that annoyed me when I was timing it, I liked that they tried something different with the suits, it gave them a chance to be a bit more creative with the fight scenes as the suit actors wouldnt have to wear a heavy impractical suit for doing proper wire work, sure they could have polished the CGI some more, but I didnt overtly mind it the way it was.

Sure the music could have done with more work instead of bashing a sound board, but I have heard worse

Its like The Walking Dead Season 3, the music and CGI in that season was pretty bad, I would have to say worse than Yami, so its not just stuff like this that can get it wrong, big american shows can as well.

I just feel people expected too much from Yami and when it didnt go their way, they panned it, much like Go-Busters following on from Gokaiger, peoples expectations where set to high and they felt cheated by it, where as I didnt like Gokaiger, but enjoyed Go-Busters.

Overall I am happy with it and I am looking forward to the film continuing the story of Yami and maybe it will answer a few questions that linger, but you get that with any show.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Zaruba »

Azazel wrote:The golden brilliance was used up, not because of the user, Zaruba didnt find Ryouga worthy to start with, thats why he rejected him.
I know the armor and the Makai Knight become one just about when it accepts it's knight. That's why they can call on it and take it off at will. Same goes for why the eyes are different colors. Just my interpretation of it though. However, what were the reasons the armor kept prematurely breaking away from Ryuuga?

Garo did lose it's Golden shine because it was sitting dormant for a while waiting for someone worthy to use it and kill enough evil or Inga to return to it to it's golden form. That's why it didn't return to it's golden form until he killed Sonshi. That was also a crucial point in which he matured greatly.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

I think you need to go back and watch Yami as you have missed all the points of the story

The armour lost its shine due its previous owner using it all up, the armour was stored in the senate till the next true owner could be found, it didnt loose it while it was stored.
The armour accepted Ryouga when he pulled the sword from the stone and used it to defeat his pet which he was forced to do so by Burai
The reason the armour left Ryouga was down the gold wave being emitted from the horrors, this caused him pain and he was unable to keep the armour on
Raigas mother was the person responsible for restoring the shine, she planned to do this with the soul metal harvested from that procedure that went wrong
It is likely that the first stone to enter Ryougas mother was the one that was put into Sonshi, which is why when he killed Sonshi, the armour was restored to its brillance,
Remember a few eps earlier when Ryouga pulled the sword for a 2nd time as it accepted him as the true owner of the armour, so its not a case of the armour accepting him to restore the shine, it had already done that a couple of times by this point.
Zaruba
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Zaruba »

I guess I did miss some things. I didn't watch the subs from this place so that might have been part of it. I only watched it once and it wasn't as intently as the first two. So thanks for setting me straight on a few things.

One thing though. How would it lose it's shine? Due to it's morale?
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

That is the one question that remains to be answered, but is very unlikely to unanswered, but you never know when it comes to the film
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Azazel wrote: It is likely that the first stone to enter Ryougas mother was the one that was put into Sonshi, which is why when he killed Sonshi, the armour was restored to its brillance,
That part is way cherry picking. I still don't see the relation between killing the madou horrors and restoring the gold.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

Madou horrors are created from the same source stones as the makai armour are, so by killing them he tops up his armour levels, its the best answer to the question, there is no right or wrong answer to this really, just fitting what fits with whats being shown in the eps
FudgeNuggetPug
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Alignment: Neutral

Post by FudgeNuggetPug »

I think that if YwTM was not related to Garo, i think there will be questions regarding the storyline (like the Avengers movie Hawkeye and Black Widow Scene regarding the Butapest case, WHAT HAPPENED~~~)
They went for a different "direction" and to be honest, I like YwTM the same way I like all of the Garo series (though my friends think otherwise)
So for me, if YwTM was not related to the Garo universe, I would probably be disappointed.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I guess I am one of the few people who actually liked YwTM more than second season (and almost on par ith first season) I actually liked CGI better but that is just me I would put it slightly over Kouga's suit. First two seasons combats always looked like dull to me (not too much but not like KR or Super Sentai either) YwTM's combat was on the other hand looks more fluent thanks to CGI IMO.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

I enjoyed Yami as much as the original and Makai Senki. The idea that the armor had lost it's shine and was dark made me think what is going on here for a while until the story was fleshed out a bit. And Ryuuga not being named Saejima kind of threw me off for a great deal, but whose to say that a descendant of the Saejima clan was female and married someone with the name Dougai? I thought of that because the house in the flashback looks similar to Kouga's.

And now that the Fourth Season "Makai no Hana" has given us a fourth owner *if you count Taiga in flashback form* there's all kinds of possibilities for a ret-con. Like the end of "MnH" being the birth of Ryuuga or something like that or seeing a younger Burai show up.

And the CGI, I'm a big fan of CGI fights. They look cool especially when done during night scenes *let's face it, GARO fights in the night time, so it's pretty good all the time*.

As for the armor of Garo losing the shine, I can only surmise that maybe the previous wielder of suit became tainted either by his own negative emotions for humans or by immense Inga. I mean, a good guy becoming tainted by the darkness isn't uncommon, and it affecting their outfits tend to coincide with it.

Still, I like the GARO series for what it is: a dark toku with good fights, interesting story, and characters that seem to make things happen.

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”