Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

What do you think of Yami wo Terasu Mono?

***** It was SHINING!
6
25%
**** It was pretty good
11
46%
*** It was average
5
21%
** Sooo bad
1
4%
* EW THE CGI MAKES ME CRY
1
4%
 
Total votes: 24
User avatar
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:51 am
Male: Yes

Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by wisdomcat »

This show was unique it tried to do something new with Garo and that was the tainted armor and the introduction of Madou Horrors. Yami wo Terasu Mono would have to be the first in the Garo series to be plot heavy. First we're introduced to several protagonists which we gradually warm up to as the show progresses. We have Ryuga, the runt of the "family"; Aguri, the smart one; Takeru, the sex crazed one; Burai, the father of the "family"; Rian, the "daughter" of the family. This show had some twists that I wasn't even expecting and I commend the show for that.
Spoiler
As for the scene when the Garo armor turns back to normal it was anti-climatic since most of it was in the opening.
Yami wo Terasu Mono was a pretty good show, the story was really good and I liked it. People hated it since they relied on CGI but I didn't care much for that. I'm giving it a 5 for doing something new for the series.
Last edited by wisdomcat on Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
DaVinci030
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Posts: 2820
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:18 am
Male: Yes
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
2nd Favorite Series: 海賊戦隊ゴーカイジャー
Favorite Actor?: 小宮有紗
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: 日本語と特撮です。
Contact:

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by DaVinci030 »

The storyline for this is literally no good and I don't like every CGI knights, Madou Horror's eyes and marks and the goddamn roar of Horror (that's gross!!!).

I wanna see if -Gold Storn- Shou is better. 3 for me!
Image
ImageImageImageImage
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Posts: 4918
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:47 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Catastrophe »

I did really enjoy the out of suit fights. And when they did use the armour the fights were good. I think I didn't like when they just transformed for the last attack to kill the horrors.
User avatar
Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
Posts: 9026
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:09 am
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Location: Japan

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Lunagel »

I loathe this series. I can't even bring myself to love to hate it because it's just so bad. I really need to break it down as to why this series fails on so many levels. Let's start with the basics:

The Plot
While there were a few good standalone episodes, most of them didn't relate back to the main plot and basically just boiled down to (admittedly cool) distractions (SWORD TO THE FACE GODDAMN). The general plot of destroying the big evil Horror who's taken over a city could have been pretty good, but it got bogged down in needless details. Overall it was pretty predictable but not the worst ever.

The Actors
Ryuuga really couldn't emote in this. I don't know if it was just bad direction because he's gotten much better in Gold Storm, but he never really sold me on any of his emotions, particularly crying scenes and surprisingly, a lot of smiling scenes it felt like the smile was plastered on. Rian was pretty decent most of the time, Enhou I enjoyed, Burai and Tousei were good. Aguri and Takeru were criminally underused, especially considering what wonderful work they did with Gokaiger and Gaim.

The Characters
Overall I found Ryuuga to be far too much of a cardboard cutout. He didn't really have too much backstory and the "dead mother is really alive" subplot was tedious. I didn't really like Takeru's character either because it seemed he was just a womanizer so they could shove some tits in there and have the subplot with the one underage chick that kinda petered out. The rest were okay, though again, Enhou was probably the best of the lot.

The Monsters
Here's where I start to get mean. The MOTW formula is tried and true because it provides an interesting new design to look at every week so you don't get bored of seeing the same guys. In the previous series they had some really interesting designs and some pretty damn good stories for some of the Horrors. I still love the manhole cover Horror because it was so unique. In this series, the Horrors are all the same Predator-mouthed CGI over an actor's face, or if you're really hurting for money this week, about 20 guys in masks. There was a fairly decent MOTW early in the series that got beyond the tri-mouth but there were no real stand-out designs.

The CGI/Suits
I'm a believer that tokusatsu should steer away from CGI as much as possible to preserve the feeling of realness and to showcase the talents of the suit actors. Since this series only had about 5 seconds of actual suit, I'm forced to critique the CGI instead. At best it was decent, at worst it was mediocre. I don't mind when there's scenes where you want to show superhuman abilities that would be difficult to do in real life, but I don't really see why they went for the all-CGI route. I doubt it was cheaper so it begs the question of why to do it? It's not a deal-breaker for me but it does make me wonder. Spoiler for final episode:
Spoiler
Why make all of them golden? It really cheapens the title of Garo because he's supposed to be the only golden knight. If everyone can do it then what the hell do we need him for?


The Cinematography
OH MY GOD.
GO BACK TO FILM SCHOOL.
For the most part this was shot pretty normally, nothing too drastic. However, there were sometimes some random scenes where the camera was focused on a leg or thigh or maybe a point-of-view shot. Different camera angles are fine, but you have to remember that you need a reason to have them. If you're focusing on something then you need to use it, that's Chekov's Gun. We're focusing on Rian's thigh. Why? Is she seducing someone? There's a point-of-view shot. Why? Is there something wrong with the character that everyone else can see but he can't? These shots are infrequently used because they confuse the audience when used in the wrong way. It's pretty clear they tried to put in some of the stranger shots so that it would look "artsy", which just puts me in mind of Battlefield Earth, where they did everything at an angle so it would look cooler. I'm just going to c/p my thoughts on this from Episode 14:
I'm not saying you can't have odd camera angles in a movie. Some of the greatest movies are the ones that have pioneered new ways to showcase their footage. But this just seemed like some kid right out of film school who wants to try all these angles because he saw them in his textbook or something. There was a whole five seconds where I was looking at just the theater with nothing in focus. Point-of-view angles are again, very interesting when used correctly, but there was absolutely no reason for them to be in there. All these strange angles just end up jumbling what could be a decent episode into a mess. I nearly screamed when I saw the random upside-down shot. The shadow fighting on the movie screen actually interested me for a moment, I was hoping we would get maybe a bit more there but it was only for the one attack and it was a complete waste of a cool idea.
The Sounds
JESUS CHRIST GET AWAY FROM THE SOUND MIXER

Again, overall pretty normal sound editing and then sometimes you'd just get this random sound effect repeated over and over again and for no real reason except they decided to put it in. This is particularly present in episode 14 (my submission for worst episode ever). Moderation is key!

The Original vs The Spinoff
Let's face it, this is a spinoff. It has no continuity with the original Kouga Garo and frankly, very little continuity with Gold Storm. The setting is different, the characters are different, the rules are even different. I'm pretty sure the time is different too because the original is present day whereas YwTM is the future(sort of?). The modern Japan of the original is replaced with the European(?) Vol City in a future(?) (post-apocalyptic?) world where the Watchdogs are... not mentioned, the Garo suit has been black for an indeterminate amount of time and the Horrors have all evolved into Predators only not really. It really confuses me as to why you'd take the preestablished place, setting, world and even rules (99.9 second rule? What?) and then replace them with everything new. It really defeats the purpose of making it a Garo show in the first place.

Overall
What I really love about Garo is the mythology of the series. You can tell it's an old order that has been fighting Horrors and they have their own rules and legends about the Makai. There's a feeling that everything is much deeper than you can see it on the surface. I love the atmosphere and the mystery and it's one of the best things about the show. YwTM has none of that. They stripped away the mythology so they wouldn't have to do any new monster costumes and could get away with cheaply CGI-ing some mouths. For all its faults and mediocre-ness, Makai no Hana still kept the atmosphere of the original, and Gold Storm is doing well at reclaiming the original world for Ryuuga. If you take away the Garo title, you could have a fairly decent show, but trying to say it lives up to the fantasy of the original when it strips away everything about that world is just ludicrous. This is not the Garo I love, this is an imposter.


I leave you with this:
[01:41] <Lunagel> I swear to god if his mother's tears or some bullshit heal his eyes I quit this show
[01:44] <Lunagel> SON OF A BITCH
User avatar
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:51 am
Male: Yes

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by wisdomcat »

@Lunagel sure hates this season lmao
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am
Male: Yes
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone
Location: France

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Mandalori »

It's funny how some hate it while others like or love it. I guess it depend if you watched the previous Garo first. I did watch them first too, but I was marathoning them and Yami was still airing at that time, so I guess it help if you watched a show while it was airing or if you watched it after it was finished.

Personally, I don't see much filler plot-unrelated in Yami, except maybe eps 10 with Nao, all the others episodes brought something in the plot.

For the complain about Ryuuga's emotion, I don't get why people think characters can't be stoic or be uneasy with showing emotion, then people can open up and show more emotions. It's not that surprising.

For the rest, it's more blind hate than anything else.
User avatar
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 pm
Male: Yes

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Dragonfan »

Mandalori wrote:It's funny how some hate it while others like or love it. I guess it depend if you watched the previous Garo first. I did watch them first too, but I was marathoning them and Yami was still airing at that time, so I guess it help if you watched a show while it was airing or if you watched it after it was finished.

Personally, I don't see much filler plot-unrelated in Yami, except maybe eps 10 with Nao, all the others episodes brought something in the plot.

For the complain about Ryuuga's emotion, I don't get why people think characters can't be stoic or be uneasy with showing emotion, then people can open up and show more emotions. It's not that surprising.

For the rest, it's more blind hate than anything else.
This is the same "you don't like it because you watched Garo and you're not objective as I am" story over again.

I think Lunagel has given tons of arguments which go way beyond "blind hate". And I would give them too, but I am tired because, no matter what I say, someone will always throw me the "it's because this season is different" card again.
User avatar
Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
Posts: 9026
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:09 am
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Location: Japan

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Lunagel »

Mandalori wrote:For the rest, it's more blind hate than anything else.
I think you'll find I was pretty lenient on most of it actually. Of course, acting and plot are dependent on a person's opinion, but the other points (lack of interesting monster design, mediocre CGI, bad camera work, etc.) are just marks of a badly done show.

And I have to argue that the entire point of a spinoff series is to expand the original universe. When you ignore everything about the original series in favor of your own plot (see: Highlander The Source) then what's the point of making it a spinoff in the first place? You're only going to confuse both old and new fans because the shows are so radically different.
User avatar
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Posts: 30441
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:33 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: "Are you the new monarch, or are you just a pawn of fate?" - Emerald Herald
Type: ISFJ Protector
Location: Yami ni umare, yami ni kisu
Contact:

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by takenoko »

Luna just hates it because Ryuuga reminds her of Decade. Good thing they will never meet!
User avatar
Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
Posts: 9026
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:09 am
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Location: Japan

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Lunagel »

Hush, they'll think you're serious XP
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am
Male: Yes
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone
Location: France

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Mandalori »

Lunagel wrote:
Mandalori wrote:For the rest, it's more blind hate than anything else.
I think you'll find I was pretty lenient on most of it actually. Of course, acting and plot are dependent on a person's opinion, but the other points (lack of interesting monster design, mediocre CGI, bad camera work, etc.) are just marks of a badly done show.

And I have to argue that the entire point of a spinoff series is to expand the original universe. When you ignore everything about the original series in favor of your own plot (see: Highlander The Source) then what's the point of making it a spinoff in the first place? You're only going to confuse both old and new fans because the shows are so radically different.
The thing is that I never saw any of the point you make. Neither bad camera work or lack of Garo mythology. I do agree about the lack of different monster design and about the CGI.
For the Garo mythology and the monster design, I think it's just because Vol City is a pecular place. Things are really different to what they've been used to. It was made for Horrors by the son of a Makai Priestess after all. They do say a thing about the Senate, and Ryuuga is visibly shocked and angered that it was Burai that sent the order to him, since it's usually the Watchdogs and also because of his personal history with him.
For the camera work, do you have any example? I saw none of these, that's why I said it looked like blind hate than anything else.
For the CGI, the armors weren't used that much, so it's okay for me.
User avatar
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Posts: 6662
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:29 pm

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Phoenix512 »

Luna's blind hate is actually towards the Garo anime but this is directed hatred.
Image
User avatar
Lunagel
Bottle Shaker
Posts: 9026
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:09 am
omg are u a girl?: Yes
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Location: Japan

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Lunagel »

Mandalori wrote: For the Garo mythology and the monster design, I think it's just because Vol City is a pecular place. Things are really different to what they've been used to. It was made for Horrors by the son of a Makai Priestess after all.
As I said, I came for the unique Garo mythology and was disappointed by seeing none of the originality of the first series.
Mandalori wrote:For the camera work, do you have any example? I saw none of these, that's why I said it looked like blind hate than anything else.
If you take a look at my first post, I mentioned several examples. In particular, episode 14 where there were quite a few. It seems like you're insisting on seeing my dislike for the series as nothing but blind hatred so I won't bother trying to convince you. If you can honestly watch episode 14 and tell me there's nothing that struck you as off about it, then clearly we're coming from two different points in regards to how cinema should be done.

Phoenix512 wrote:Luna's blind hate is actually towards the Garo anime but this is directed hatred.
Phoenix, shut the hell up, I didn't even say anything about the Garo anime. I wasn't really interested after the first episode so I didn't watch it. I refuse to pass judgement on it because I haven't seen it. I will say this, at least the anime had actually interesting designs.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:29 am
Male: Yes
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone
Location: France

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Mandalori »

If you can honestly watch episode 14 and tell me there's nothing that struck you as off about it, then clearly we're coming from two different points in regards to how cinema should be done.[/quote]

I might do that since I don't remember it totally. To be honest, it was one of those I liked the less. But I did watched some others episodes recently (3, 4, 5, 7, 11, 12) and I saw nothing wrong with camera work. But maybe it's just that I trust the crew for knowing their jobs.
Lunagel wrote:
Mandalori wrote: For the Garo mythology and the monster design, I think it's just because Vol City is a pecular place. Things are really different to what they've been used to. It was made for Horrors by the son of a Makai Priestess after all.
As I said, I came for the unique Garo mythology and was disappointed by seeing none of the originality of the first series.
You have a point, but what I liked in Yami is unrelated to what made you hate it. What I liked was the characters and the bond between them. I also liked the setting and the city.

Where I don't agree, and in fact, I'm a bit surprised, is that you say that a lot of episodes are unrelated to the plot (I can only see the episode 10 as a filler), and you complain about the actors' performance. In fact, if an actor is doing bad work, then the scene is reshot until it's properly done. So if you want to complain, it would be on the director, but then again, I didn't see anything wrong with it. Maybe it's just a matter of liking and taste, then it become personal and it's not objective anymore.
User avatar
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Posts: 3034
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:18 pm
Male: Yes
Favorite series: Gunslinger Girl
Type: INFP Healer
Contact:

Re: Ratings Poll: Garo -Yami wo Terasu Mono-

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Mandalori wrote:In fact, if an actor is doing bad work, then the scene is reshot until it's properly done.
I think you're putting way too much stock into that, since I don't think they care nowadays as much as you think.
I mean, take Takaharu's actor who misses just about every line for some weird reason and yet he's promoted and kept around like it's perfectly fine. Or, the Jam girl (I forget the actress' name) from the end of Gaim who was atrocious and yet Toei put on their site how she won an audition to be on there and how they wish to promote her like some new flashy-pantsy idol.

It's unfortunately not the days anymore where someone would go "Hey, you know what? That Keiichi Wada kid would be wasted as KirinRanger; make him Red and stick that other guy as yellow".
Post Reply

Return to “~Yami wo Terasu Mono~”