Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Zero Black Blood 06 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Zero_06

Well, there's that sleep line again. I mean, it looks good on paper, but sounds pretty strange when said aloud. I certainly do sympathize though, it's hard writing lines that capture the appropriate gravitas that a scene requires.

Good job Zero. I like the line where he says he hunts Horrors, it's not to judge people. I think it conveys this message better than the episode with Kouga and the murderer with the fish Horror. (The problem with the Garo episode is that Kouga is passively aiding the guy's crimes by not doing anything. Which is dumb)

Wow this scene where the people Rei tries to save turns on him is pretty great. It's a real attack on Rei's beliefs.

I really don't like Iyu's character. Maybe she was brainwashed for the whole series, but in that case she's not really a character at all. I just don't think it's in Yuna's character to let her mother be eaten by a Horror. Everything that happens surrounding this character is messed up and sloppy.

I'm glad Yuna was able to use her sword a little bit, but I'm disappointed by how little payoff we actually got from it through the series. She seemed to fight Rei more than she did the Horrors. Just a missed opportunity.

I do like Kain and Yuna and their ability to add an element of levity to the series. Although the formula doesn't work as well if the character is an aloof, snarky, badass like Rei. A comedy duo is better suited for balancing out a stoic guy like Kouga. I dunno, maybe I miss seeing him in a combi with Kouga. That seems to be where Rei shines best.

It was an okay series, but for some reason it feels like it lacks emotional heart. The trio seemed to have potential, but it seemed like they spent most of the series kind of screwing around in the bar. Did anyone have a character arc through the series? It's pretty hard to pinpoint what feels off about the series, maybe it's the 6 episode factor that kind of rushes us through the story without any buildup. It doesn't really feel like we got to know any of the characters.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Zero Black Blood 06 released

Post by takenoko »

So fresh off translating the series. It's really a pity that this series wasn't better, because it has a lot of interesting ideas that just don't work together. I think that they gave Kobayashi a plot outline that she couldn't really deviate from, but she tried to save it with some humanizing. She tends to be good at adding depth and shades of grey to otherwise black and white stuff. Like Gouraigan is a show with no depth. This show attempts for depth, but I think fails.

+Ring is an interesting villain. His ideals make sense on paper. Fighting him should be a moral dilemma for Makai Knights if they care about the greater good.

-But Rei doesn't really care and no one in the series ever really has a real conflict of morals.

+Humans are presented as kind of jerks. I mean, people being possessed basically have bad karma anyway, that's why Horrors come through in the first place. It gets kind of annoying to listen to Ring complain about how selfish humans are, but he has a point. And it was pretty good to see Rei's reaction to protecting people who were trying to kill him moments earlier.

+Satoshi was an interesting side protagonist. We get to see what it's like to be a Horror victim. And while he did mow down a woman, it was nice to see his humanside. He has realistic human weaknesses.

-A big minus for me is realizing what a creepy sex pervert Ring is. And how Iyu is just a docile, doormat prisoner. All of it rubs me the wrong way and leaves a creepy residue on the series that won't wash out. Ring constantly barks at Iyu to sing for him. Iyu seems like she possesses her mind, yet she doesn't care about her husband or daughter, spends her time with this creepy pervert, doing what he wants, letting him feed humans to Horrors. Iyu is just a fucking terrible non-character.

Here, let's get classical Greek Tragedy on this. A really well written Greek tragedy is a story about a regular dude who makes some mistakes and fucks up his life. The main characters of Greek tragedy aren't super flawed jerkwads. The reason for this is, if you're an asshole and bad shit happens to you, no one gives a fuck. That's just karma. But bad things happening to good people who make bad decisions, that's interesting.

So you already know about Iyu. She doesn't have enough personality or self-determination to fill a thimble. Nothing she does makes sense, she's basically a plot device.

As for Yuna, she's not much better as a character either. Ostensibly she's the protagonist in this story. It's about how she got her mom and dad killed and it's her quest for revenge. But she is given a sword and does almost nothing good with it. And I hate to say it, but at least Kain had some personality and some likableness from his beer addiction. I can't remember Yuna doing anything except moping around, fighting with Rei, or singing.

I can't believe I'm doing this, but Red Requiem did the ensemble cast better. (And I hated Red Requiem) Rekka was just a priest, but I'm sure she killed more Horrors in the movie than Yuna did with her sword in these six episodes. Akaza mumbled and had a speech impediment, but his temptation was much more believable and more tragic, because it was so much more human. A guy who misses his dead family? Yeah, people can relate to that.

A stupid blind lady who gives up her family so her daughter won't have to fight? She can sense her husband's bone, but she can't sense her husband getting killed? What the fuck?

And the ending is just dumb. The big bad dies. I remember Yuna's sword being used, but I don't think she gets the killing blow. I dunno. But after that, she's happy again after losing her mother again in a retarded way. And Zero... gets to hang out with Master? Or be alone? It's just an unsatisfying epilogue, compared to all the other ones that exist.

Sorry Rei, but you need your buddy Kouga to get the interesting stories. The series was flashy and had potential, but not even Kobayashi Yasuko could save it. Kaneda Ryuu should probably stick to action choreography and leave the drama direction to people who are better at it.

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kaneda_Ryuu
Just look at the guy's directing credits if you want to see what I mean

Garo: He did the two creepiest episodes, the statue one and the fish tank one

Makai Senki: He did the awkward Rei story with the school girl

Yami wo Terasu Mono: He did 4 episodes, so he should have known that both these stories have a blind mother singing lady! Also, he gets double minus points for doing the Hyena episode

Gouraigan: He did several episodes of this series too.

The work he does is misogynistic and full of bad drama.

Annnnyway. I'm super sorry about being so negative about the series. I was super excited by it, I did enjoy watching through it to see what happened next, but the crappy ending and backstory really took the fun out of it. For a spin off about Zero, we sure didn't learn anything new about Zero in it.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Considering that I’m usually extremely verbose in my reactions to tokusatsu, I think the harshest critique I can deliver is that this mini-series has left me close to speechless. It was blah - not terrible but not good either. It was confusing, from the conclusion of the various plot elements to many of the directing choices. (Still looking at you, random shirtless workout scene.)

Since Ginga shows up, I guess that clarifies that this happens post-original series. I think that’s unfortunate, because the Rei in this mini-series doesn’t seem to gel with the Rei that has matured and spars with Kouga by the end of Soukoku no Maryu. I’m not trying to make him out to be a warm and cuddly person, but out of all the Makai Knights that we’re introduced to, he is the one that time and time again points out the benefit of working together to defeat a common enemy. For so much of this mini-series to be spent on him trying to push Yuna and Kain away or testing their resolve makes him seem more like Kouga or Dan (and a pre-Beast of the White Knight Dan, at that).

I’m glad we finally got a translation of the lullaby. I always thought it had a haunting melody, but I wasn’t expecting the lyrics to be quite as sad as they turned out to be. It’s pretty.

Which leads me to Iyu. Since Rei refuses to kill her, I guess she’s human after all. I’m not sure how that works since everyone seems convinced she didn’t age in 10 years, but I guess we have to take that as truth since the series is over. I’m glad she died? I use a question mark because it fits in the context of the Garo universe that she would sacrifice herself to atone for helping a Horror, but I didn’t care enough about her character to want to see her survive. I think I’m more relieved that Yuna wasn’t forced to kill someone who looked like her mother.

I would have to say that between introducing the characters, the plot and the nostalgia of seeing Rei and Silva, the strongest part of this mini-series was its first episode. That’s...sad. I think Takenoko is correct in that this series had a lot of potential, which is what had me so excited after watching the first episode, but it never capitalized on that potential.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I just wonder if people were placing their hopes too much since Yami didn't do much for them. I like the series well enough but I do agree it could have been better.

I think it would have been awesome if Yuna was a hybrid Priest/Knight instead of what we got with her awful sword skills. So Yuna makes a better Sentai warrior than a Makai anything. I also think Kain should had try to kill Iyu since he was ordered to kill her by the Watchdogs. It would have really made an interesting choice for Yuna and Rei as one of their own is trying to kill a "human".

I really do like Rei's resolve of not fighting back against the humans. He had every right to do so but he took the high ground.

Maybe it would have been better if Iyu was a music box instead. That had more character than all of her humanity ever did.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Either Kouga is a clutz or Rei is just amazing at not showing/getting any injuries. That aside Rei seems so much different in the series. When he said he wouldn't cut down Iyu and the guy in the first ep it made me wonder about Kaoru. After all he seemed more then eager to put her out of her misery. I liked the series just Rei seemed so freaking timid. However I agree with Phoenix, I like how he took the high ground and didn't slap some sense into humans.'

If this is before the first GARO I wonder were his whole anger of loosing his "family" is.

Before I end this I want to say Iyu makes me so angry she deserve a dignified ending. It seemed like she just rolled over into the arms of a Horror after she fell and didn't care about her family. Iyu seemed to act like she was a 'bit' nuts but in the end she knew what she was doing.

Over all still liked this series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

This isn't a prequel as far as I know. Rei has Silva as a glove, which I think he's done since Beast of the White Night. Before that he only wore her as a necklace.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The thing I don't really like is that Zero is stronger than Ring all of a sudden. It's not like anything significant happened during the series or he got a final battle power up to easily beat him.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

DrowningFishy wrote:When he said he wouldn't cut down Iyu and the guy in the first ep it made me wonder about Kaoru. After all he seemed more then eager to put her out of her misery. I liked the series just Rei seemed so freaking timid. However I agree with Phoenix, I like how he took the high ground and didn't slap some sense into humans.'
Probably because Iyu was still human and had no horror matter inside her. Unlike Kaoru who had absorbed horror blood in the first episode. And they were probably willing to kill the horror-eaters back in season 1 as well. I think this is well within character for Rei, who refused to kill the couple with the tree in Makai Senki 6 as well.
Kamen_Spider
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Quote: "Now, count up your sins!" ~ W

Post by Kamen_Spider »

I give it a 3 out of 5. I can't hate it, but I don't like it as much as Garo.

I agree, that Iyu is the weakest character. They poorly explain the reason why she stays with Ring. Suggesting, it's to work towards peace and keeping Ring under control. But, this is a flimsy argument too. Even her death is lame, yet welcome. All things considered.

Ring's ideals were interesting. But the fact he needs Iyu's song to maintain them, makes his dream seem ridiculous. It's like saying lets build a community with cannibalistic serial killers to co-exist with normal people. We can make it work, we just need to drug them every few hours. That's what Iyu's song is apparently. That is what Ring implied, when he demanded she sing to keep his Horror nature suppressed. So that puts holes into his side of the story, since the Horrors aren't really trying to control themselves. Only Ring is, and he needs Iyu's song to lull his community of Horrors. If the Horror's did try without Iyu's song, that would have made Ring's argument valid. But, there is nothing to indicate this. That's what I take away from the Ring arc.

Yuna's story was wasted. Not just her story, but as the first female Makai priest (that I know of) to wield a soul metal sword. She doesn't even try to summon the armour. Sorry, but I've been waiting since the second episode for that. It shouldn't work. I know this. Yet, she holds that sword. It should in theory, summon the arm piece. Or, the armour devours her. It really bugged me they didn't explore that. Good or bad! I didn't care which, I wanted to see something happen! To me, there's no point in the soul metal sword then. What, was it supposed to be like an old school revenge story? Using the Father's weapon to make peace? Been there, done that. With far better writing. I'm completely annoyed. Like I've been trolled by the writer!

As for Rei, I don't have much problem with. I believe he was holding back at times. Well, aside from the Ring fight at the Carnival. That makes episode 6 feel weird that he beats him so easy. However, that doesn't compare to how odd Kain and Yuna's sudden increase in strength. That, felt much worse then Rei. Cause it made much less sense.

Master, wonderfully enigmatic. Great for a mentor role. It's a good thing they didn't turn him into a villain at the last minute. There just wasn't enough episodes to fit that plot twist in this arc.

Kain, a livable support character. They had six episodes to develop this character, and they barely do anything. He's the guy who drinks beer, talks big, and wields an umbrella for a weapon. If they bring him back, I hope they do more with Kain. With a better script. Cause there could be potential. If they decide to bring Yuna back, they need to develop her into a more interesting character.

I liked every Garo series before this. Which makes me sad for Zero. I think Rei is a cool character that deserved better. Maybe if this premise was attempted by other members on the Garo creative team, they could have made it better? I don't know. If they make more Zero, hopefully they find better people to create the story.

Still, I probably would have watched Zero if people said it was crap. So, I'm still thankful it was translated and I could watch it. ^.^ Thanks!
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I liked this series, but didn't love it.

While it had a good premise, it was lacking in depth. Despite being the title character, Rei seemed to lack any real development and the plot had little to do with him - really any competent Makai knight could have been in his place.

I liked that villain; Ring had a decent Horror form. It's too bad they didn't have unique Horror designs for some of his henchmen. That being said, Ring was not really the (epic) threat many of Kouga's enemies were in his series and movies.

Yuna was okay, but again not as well developed as the other GARO female leads.

I'm glad I saw it, but would have liked more. It seemed just like an extended episode.
berry889
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: Mana Kazaya
Favorite Band: Dir En Grey

Post by berry889 »

why don't just do a full season of Zero after Makai no Hana... that would be great love to see Rei back in action
Doublesteel
Infinity

Post by Doublesteel »

Eh to me, it was better than "yami" by a considerable margin.

As for the episode itself, pretty good way to end the miniseries, still was hoping Ginga wouldve given Rei a biglarge mchuge doublesword but flaming wings was ok if a bit mlp-ish.

Any chance they would be releasing the score? I have to have the song they used for the final fight.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Doublesteel wrote:Any chance they would be releasing the score? I have to have the song they used for the final fight.
Garo OSTs have always been a bit iffy on when they come out and if they're actually affordable. The Makai Senki OST was only available with the blu-ray box set and that thing was like 200+ dollars. I don't even think there's been a YwTm OST released yet.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

You guys are being too hard on a 6 episodes series... the series managed to at least keep the same scent or flavor of first 2 seasons of Garo which are the ones that we loved! Rei is the same badass and we are just getting more of the same but in just 6 episodes and it was very good and probably the best that they could do in that little time.

Loved the series but wished that it would be a little longer with more character development but it was really good and I'm really happy to see Rei again after so much time because he is my favorite character from the first series.

It will be awesome to see something similar for Tsubasa too!.
Final Vent!
DarkCrusnik
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
Favorite Band: Team Nekokan
Quote: "Ore Ga Unmei Tatakao, Soshti Kati Mesri" -Kenzaki, kamen rider blade

it means: "ill fight fate, and surely win! "
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by DarkCrusnik »

I dont care about the whole negatives in this series, I dont care about anything like how he became strong fast

but arent makai knights evil racist people?lets say horrors are terrorism, or terrorists
ring HAD an idea
I bet it was good
and hell, he made sense
but rei was all like, shut terrorist!
just because bin ladin bombed people, doesn't mean all arabs are terrorists
same with horrors! listen you idiot! Every episode in garo someone dies
lets say we limited that to five every month
still good, its not like makai Knights help people before anything happens to them

Return to “Zero -Black Blood-”