Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai no Hana 09 released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Makai_no_Hana_09

I'm a bit frustrated by the twist of this episode. On one hand, it wasn't the predictable story that we were all expecting. You know, the fish lady and the guy from season one.

On the other hand, the twist is so stupid that there's probably a reason for why it's not usually done. Yeah, that story about the guy taking care of the girl? Surprise, that was all fake. But where's the pay off? The guy didn't have any reason to have amnesia. I guess it was surprising when Raiga opened the door and found the bodies, but the twist really didn't affect anything beyond that.

There's good versions of "Oh my God, I'm the murderer!". It's supposed to be shocking and horrifying to the character when that happens to them, in turn the audience gets some emotional response from the experience. But that doesn't work if the person having the epiphany is just an unsympathetic monster (also he's a rapist/murderer on top of that).

It's like a bad joke played on the audience. Because the more interesting plot that we were presented with turns out to be just an illusion (And not for any good reason either, it was just arbitrary amnesia). A good mantra among video game creators is "Don't make your user feel like they've wasted their time." And this just feels like they pulled the audience out from under them. It just doesn't make any sense from a storytelling perspective!

At least the fight was kind of cool. Good monster design, and we get to see some lightning effects on Garo's sword.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the ending segment with Mayuri getting instantly plastered was kind of funny.

Edit edit: Oh yeah, Kazari from OOO has a bit part in this ep too. See if you can spot him.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Garo Makai no Hana 09 released

Post by DaVinci030 »

Well... i like to see Garo cutting Horror Lizary with a lightning.

I'm getting horrified *literally* if I saw that pictures of brutal naked girls (maybe not).
Spoiler
Looks like Judam (of Garo Soukoku of Maryuu) is back. Is she along with Gonza? And Mayuri finally knows how to eat?
Last edited by DaVinci030 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray

Post by xiiliea »

The part where Crow transformed and then Garo transformed too looked super cool. That's only what's good about this episode I guess.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

The ending sequence with Gonza mourning the beetle and Mayuri not being to hold any liquor was easily the best part of the episode. It really made me smile.

The fight wasn't bad, but extremely short. Fitting, given that the Horror didn't seem all that strong, but I'm still a little disappointed since we haven't seen much of Crow and Raiga fight side by side.

I figured that the guy had to be the Horror pretty early on in the episode, so the "twist" didn't surprise me. In the event that he wasn't the Horror, I was still hoping that he didn't survive the episode. His claim that he wanted to be devoured just made him sound stupid.
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

I knew there was something off in the first part of ep when they tried very hard to cover the woman's(women?) breasts. Then after the revelation the breasts aren't covered anymore. I liked that particular bit.
Gottis
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: UM SNAKE DAD
Favorite Actor?: Inukai Atsuhiro
My boom: Making music videos!
Quote: We're the Heroes of Our Time

Post by Gottis »

Like rapists aren't creepy enough to begin with... Anyway, I actually enjoyed the episode, in a oh god it's such a trainwreck I can't look away kind of way. >_> And aw, Kazari... What a way to go. Sorry about that, dude.
Finished: All Heisei
Watching: Zi-O
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

If the guy didn't have any reason to have amnesia, Garo doesn't have any reason to have powers... I mean, is the "special trait" of the horror, that's all.

I enjoyed a lot the episode, very creepy and with a good twist. I don't think that you have to be invested with the murderer for that twist to work, nor that it has to be horrifying for the characters. Yes, it's what we are used to, but it doesn't have to be like that, it's just an option among others.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

i have to say that this was a pretty bad episode. most of it was spent on stupid misdirection that didnt work. the amnesia bit felt forced and out of place. the "fight" at the end was laughable as the horror did not even get a single attack off aside from some useless acid spit. i do have to commend the use of light and shadow as a means to hide the nudity as well as the actresses who acted in the nude.

Edit: usually the titles have something to do with whats in the episode but "Rearing" wasnt really connected to anything. maybe it was the beetle but that is really stretching it.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Rearing is probably referring to the guy taking care of the soulless naked girl throughout the episode.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

This episode was creepier than usual for this series.

I noticed they tended to avoid full-on breast shots.

I was wondering if they guy was actually the horror, but couldn't figure out how. I actually liked the revelation. But then, what actually happened with the girl Crow killed?

There is something else that's been bugging me: Garo is supposed to be for adults, right? But it seems like if you stripped away the adult themes and nudity and just look at the story and characters etc, it seems no more mature that typical kids' toku.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

I liked the episode. For the boobs? DEFINITELY! But also for the plot twist. I've always been a fan of that (Sixth Sense), so this was a treat.
berry889
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Black
Dreamy: Mana Kazaya
Favorite Band: Dir En Grey

Post by berry889 »

demn the teasing..... makes me angry!
StagBeetle
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Agito
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider BLACK
Dreamy: Kazashiro Miu
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: everything...

Post by StagBeetle »

At first, I was like, good twist... but then, after the flashback, it just doesn't make any sense for him to have amnesia. I guess you can say it's a way for the human host to cope with the killing, but his reaction to the revelation didn't seem like it. So, the ending kind of wasted the whole episode, I guess.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

People keep using the term "amnesia". I don't think it was amnesia; it was more of a delusion. (or possibly hallucination)
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

AxemYellow wrote:This episode was creepier than usual for this series.

I noticed they tended to avoid full-on breast shots.

I was wondering if they guy was actually the horror, but couldn't figure out how. I actually liked the revelation. But then, what actually happened with the girl Crow killed?

There is something else that's been bugging me: Garo is supposed to be for adults, right? But it seems like if you stripped away the adult themes and nudity and just look at the story and characters etc, it seems no more mature that typical kids' toku.
I may be wrong in this one, and probably am because I've just watched a few episodes of some Super Sentais, but the characters development and the plot of Garo series are way better than what I`ve seen in them. Actually, if I didn't watched more than a few episodes was because I couldn't cope with it. On the other hand, Garo is one of my favourite shows.

Maybe I did some bad choices (for example, I tried with Go-Onger, and I've been told that it was one of the worst), but it's the impression I have.

Return to “-Makai no Hana-”