Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai no Hana 23 released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Makai_no_Hana_23

Crow, I think it's time we had a talk. No, no, sit down. Crow, have you ever considered a career change? I don't think that being a Makai Knight suits you very well.

That said, Crow sacrificing himself for Mayuri is probably the most honorable thing he's done for the series.

So Eiji didn't last long as a villain. It makes sense, since he was neither a fallen knight nor a Horror. He'd just gone astray from his grief.

Correction for the last episode: Evil Bones Knight Giru" (邪骨騎士・義流). Giru means "Flow of Justice"

Some real weird action choices this time. With the upside down fighting and the spinning drill Garo sword. It felt a bit too long and didn't really catch me.

I wish the main story were stronger. I really do. I like Raiga and Mayuri and I sort of like Crow. But it's hard to get an emotional investment in Eiji's story because of his short screen time. Akari's been in more episodes than him at this point.

I'm not a writer, but some things I would have liked to see:
*Introduce Eiji earlier? Have him interact with the core team so that his betrayal feels significant to the audience and not just us through Crow
*Make Crow useful. Have him be a solid bro. Sure, make him weaker than Raiga, but don't make him completely useless except for when his flying is needed
*Make Mayuri more of an individual agent or don't have her get kidnapped so often.
*Bikuu's awesome. She could have just as easily appeared earlier. Then we can check in on her or she can help out with some of the missions while she's on her manhunt. As it is, the main story threading throughout the series is there, but not as strong as it could be. Bikuu just appears towards the end here and doesn't really do much.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Garo Makai no Hana 23 released

Post by XIII »

I kinda wish they hadnt done the Crow sacrificing himself routine kinda makes it feel like a cheap cop out from making Crow a strong knight

I do wish they made better use of Bikuu, probably should have made appearances from the start to keep the main plot lines going in a more cryptic manor than just letting the story meander through all the fillers

I have to agree, Eiji should have been brought in earlier and then had him turn during one of the fights with a Horror to make his betrayal more shocking and easier to accept than what they have given us.

All I can hope for now is that Eiji is cut down and people just dont forgive him and let him fight against Eiris in the final fight, would just cheapen the whole ending if they allowed him to fight and be forgiven.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

So we're near the end of the show. How many episodes are left? 1 or 2? The show hasn't done much to get me excited. The characters are boring and they mainly focus on Raiga. I know he's the main character but give Crow some spotlight too.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

If I had to summarize the problems with the show in one word, I'd use "inconsistency". The storyline, the fighting, the dialogue...it's either not consistent from one episode to the next or it feels like it's missing some element to make it truly compelling. I still like our three leads (and Gonza), but being fond of the characters can only carry the show so far.

As the beginning scenes were unfolding, I realized that Eiji is basically just Fueki and Akari/Mayuri is Koyomi. Fueki had his daughter's body and was trying to call her soul back; Eiji thought he had trapped Akari's soul in Mayuri and just needed to recreate her body. I'm not surprised that I didn't find that plot very interesting since that was one of the least engaging parts of Wizard’s story for me.

I kind of wanted to hit Olva when she advised Crow that there was a barrier. I think he already knew that since he was hacking away at it for a few minutes before she spoke up.

Trying to find some positives, I liked Eiji's armor. This is the first time we've had a predominantly bronze knight to match our more well-known gold and silver knight, isn't it?

Crow offering himself up to Eiris as an alternative host really caught me by surprise. I guess he took his promise to protect Mayuri very seriously. I'm happy that his ability to fly ended up having some significance to the plot, as it ended up being the deciding factor in Eiris possessing him, but I don't understand why she needs to fly to get to the place where she can bloom if Mayuri was going to be a suitable host.

I might be able to believe that Raiga was riding Gouten for less than 99.9 seconds, but flying was supposed to diminish the time Crow could spend in the armor at an accelerated rate. Did that not apply because he’s already possessed by a Horror, or are we just ignoring the time limit due to plot necessity?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh yeah, I meant to say that I liked the take on Eiji's armor. Both the coloring and the familiar wolf design without being too similar to Garo or Zero's.

I guess I'm confused about the sacrificial body too. If Eiji only needs Mayuri because he thought she contained Akari's soul, did he also intend for her to be possessed by Eiris in the process? Or was he planning to offer his own body for that or was that only because Kouga changed his mind? I also thought Eiji was stupid for giving up on Akari that easily, since at that point he didn't know her soul was gone. He didn't even react to that, which is dumb directingwise. Take a few seconds out of the long battle to construct a reaction shot.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It kind of looks like they scrapped Barons armour for Girus. Looks mean regardless.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

This is the kind of twist I was looking about. Very impressed about the action scenes, that Jackie Chan level choreography with Raiga and Crow was awesome, and these guys don't even have experience in action movies.

I also think that Eiji should have been introduced earlier.
JustiFan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by JustiFan »

Congratulations Crow, you've done more in this episode than you've been able to do pretty much all season. Welcome to the game! :lol: (I still like you though.)

Giru's armour was pretty cool, shame we've had to wait this long to see it. I always had a feeling that Bikku would be back, wonderful to see her.

It's weird to think we're at the end already. I genuinely haven't felt like there's been any real build-up to it, then all of a sudden here we are. I really do wish there'd been more of a gradual unfolding of things this series, a-la Makai Senki.

Spoiler
That next episode preview: It might just be another fake-out but... hmm I wonder...
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Have to admit that I was tuning out of the show recently due to filler episodes and the plot taking forever to kick in. Eiji should've appeared in this series way sooner. His portrayal and backstory makes sense but since he's had little screen time, I hardly care for him. The only thing I liked about him is his cool armor suit. The action continues to be a high point of this series though. Some neat action choreography. Crow sacrificing himself, darn should've saw that coming. He's been nothing but a weak character this whole series. I'm disappointed.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

Watching this episode, there's only one thing I'd like to point out. Given a situation as an example
Kouga hit a barrier

Zaruba: Kouga, there's a barrier surrounding this building! We'll have to find the source in order to deactivate it!
Crow hit a barrier multiple times

Olva: Crow, that's a barrier!
Seriously, Silva would have done a better job in helping Rei. Who made those madou tools these days?
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

In experience of helping Makai Knights Zaruba probably has the most since he was with Kouga's dad or however long he was with the golden knight bloodline. While Olva is probably still new to this business.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Basically the problem with this show is that it needs a really competent supervising script editor or showrunner who makes them fork over ALL the ideas and then says, "Ok and now we're going to edit this mess together into a consistent, plot-building whole and not have to make random inconsistent decisions week after week because we're asspulling each new episode."

Seriously. Everything said above was on point. We could have still had most of the interesting one-off filler episodes but the whole series would have flowed better if the new characters who show up at the end were introduced earlier and somewhat integrated into the story. Crow in particular is just horribly mis-used. When he showed up, I thought he was maybe working both sides of the fence. And then I had a hunch that maybe his job was to kill Mayuri if her power overwhelmed her - if that was the case then having the episode where the shadow beast was fought would have been a huge changepoint for him and great character development. But noooo.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

It kind of sucks that Crow only seemed to become a good fighter after being possessed by Eiris. The story in this series is ok, but would have been much better if there had been more lead up in prior episodes. It almost seems like they wanted to avoid the main plot as much as possible until the end.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

AxemYellow wrote:It kind of sucks that Crow only seemed to become a good fighter after being possessed by Eiris. The story in this series is ok, but would have been much better if there had been more lead up in prior episodes. It almost seems like they wanted to avoid the main plot as much as possible until the end.
I wouldn't say he became a good fighter when he got possessed by Eiris he was already a good fighter its just that he was cast off in the back too much. Like in an episode which was supposedly an Crow focused episode, Raiga got the spotlight once again.

Return to “-Makai no Hana-”