Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai no Hana 24 released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_Makai_no_Hana_24

Pretty good episode. Funny how Zaruba said that wasn't Crow's true intention, when it seemed like they were more honest in that exchange than in any other episode.

Eiris' design was pretty good. Overlooking the standard topless design and the silly bust opening up scene. I don't hate the nudity, but I always feel like it's unnecessarily distracting. I love all the eyes on her costume, especially on the head piece.

That said, Kuroki Momoko does a great job as Eiris. Her non-verbal acting was perfect. And the designs of her attacks felt really plantlike. I especially loved the vines that formed into bows and shot arrows. Of all the boob bosses, Eiris definitely takes the cake.

The battle in general also felt more creative than some of the fights in the last few episodes.

The connection to Kouga's parents going missing seems a little forced though.

Looks like they haven't forgotten about the timer. What I forgot was that Raiga had a backpack for climbing stuff. I was watching the opening and just remembered that he had them. Besides this episode, did he use it just once in the whole series?

And the lolzy bit of the episode, it seems like they wanted more Africans than they were willing to hire, so they put that last guy in full make up.

Aren't you a little short, skinny, and completely covered in makeup to be a Stormtrooper?

Edit: Wait. Shidou's in this episode but now Bikuu or Eiji? Maybe you should have just combined Shidou and Eiji's character. Jesus, this series' mantra is without a doubt: "We have more characters than we know what to do with."

So let's talk about the episode title. Marebito (稀人) isn't a common term, so I had to do some research for it. Luckily, there's a movie named Marebito and it stars Miyashita Tomomi of Ultraman guesting fame. I've seen it translated as "special person" or "person who visits from another world" and it's all spiritual or some stuff. So in this episode, I feel like the visitors are Raiga's parents. Although I guess the visitor could also be Eiris.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Garo Makai no Hana 24 released

Post by XIII »

Its nice that they brought back the Horror wolf that we had in the first season by extending past the counter time, but I do wonder how they will counter that, hopefully it wont be in some flimsy way

They should have handled his parents disappearance in earlier eps to give it more meaning now, not just something to shoe horn in with two eps left
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

My my my... it's a good episode... actually. Eiris' design was pretty good though, even for some blades, bows, etc. But I don't care about nudity.
The fight between Garo and Eiris in 'that orb' was so very tough... tougher than Raiga vs. Crow.
Azazel wrote:Its nice that they brought back the Horror wolf that we had in the first season by extending past the counter time
Yeah... I wonder what Horror will appear from the past.

Raiga's parents disapperance is so mean to me. That voices of Raiga's parents. Well... I really missed them... so much.

PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

An improvement, but it’s hard for this episode to meet my expectations when the climax doesn’t have a good basis to build upon. Other than the appearance of a “boob boss”, which is a phrase that fits Garo to a T and I will insist on using if I ever have to describe Garo to someone in the future. I agree that she’s one of the more dangerous bosses and has some interesting design elements, although the white leotard of her first humanoid form is so bland it makes it look like they forgot to fill in the CGI detail.

As soon as we saw Eiris start to reach across time/space, I figured that she was going to be blamed for Kouga and Kaoru’s disappearance. This really bugs me, because it doesn’t match what we were told about their disappearance. The former Garo spirits were still in communication with Kouga, who confirmed that he was trapped in another dimension with Kaoru, and relinquished his hold on the Garo armor after learning that Raiga was trying to claim it. Unless they’re trying to say that Eiris is the gatekeeper or bridge between our dimension and the other dimension, it just doesn’t make sense. I’d prefer if she was merely lying to prey on Raiga’s desire to see his parents again.

While I’m happy that they didn’t forget the timer completely, my comment from last episode remains the same: there’s no way that the chase from the end of last episode or the battle at the top of Eiris fit within the 99.9 seconds. Suspension of disbelief can only stretch so far.

As for the speech/argument/debate between Raiga and Crow at the beginning of the episode, I think Crow was being honest to an extent. I think he did resent Raiga and was jealous of him, especially in the early days of their acquaintanceship, but I think he was able to put most of those feelings aside as he spent more time around Raiga. I could see Eiris stirring up those buried feelings to make him lash out on his own, hence why Zaruba said they weren’t Crow’s real feelings - but only due to a technicality.

All of the heavy breathing during that fight was rather distracting. Worse was how Mayuri walks up after Eiris flees Crow’s body and is breathing as hard as both of the fighters. Uh, why? It was a very strange choice by the director.

The scenes with Shidou meant nothing to me because I didn't even remember his name let alone why he's important enough to get multiple scenes.

Finale next week?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I kind of like the blandness of Eiris's initial form. Progression is always good, and the feint of her being bland and almost nunlike in her coverings was neat.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Is it just me that I hate seeing "reactions from around the world" which many series have, usually at the last episodes? It just doesn't seem to fit with the show since they usually center the story in Japan, as if the other parts of the world don't exist, then suddenly you're told that the normal world exists, and that those people living there have no idea of what was happening in Japan (as if they're seeing magic powers for the first time).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

/me creates a reaction shot from *squints* Singapore.

Wait, what are Singaporeoans?!
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

PHurricane wrote:Snipped
I thinkg you guys are overcritical to the point that it doesn't make any sense.

It can't be said that the disappearance of Kaoru and Kouga doesn't match with this because it is not said where the people absorbed by Eiris go. I mean, this is shading some light to that issue, not creating inconsistences. Not yet at least. If in the next episode it is said that Kouga and Kaoru have been drinking tea in their house all the time, then I'll be the first to pinpoint this incoherence, but now such incoherence just doesn't exist.

The same could be said about the "suspension of desbelief" of the timer. After four seasons, three movies, a TV special and a direct-to-DVD movie, we have seen tons of fights longer than 99.9 seconds. Not just one or two cases, a lot, some of them even 10 minutes longer. So blaming this episode for breaking the suspension of desbelief with that is kind of pointless.

BTW, utterly funny that guy in Africa. Weren't the three guys enough? XD.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

No, I think my criticism makes sense in that it is genuinely too clean to connect Eiris to the disappearance of Kouga and Kaoru's disappearance. The connection is so tenuous that they could rescue them deus ex machina and it would have been as equally plausible.

In other words: Show's ending, time to cram Kaoru and Kouga into it.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

takenoko wrote:No, I think my criticism makes sense in that it is genuinely too clean to connect Eiris to the disappearance of Kouga and Kaoru's disappearance. The connection is so tenuous that they could rescue them deus ex machina and it would have been as equally plausible.

In other words: Show's ending, time to cram Kaoru and Kouga into it.
A deus ex machina is something that, by definition, breaks the internal logic, and this doesn't do it. I am not saying that you have to like it, that would be rude of me, what I'm saying is that there is no inconsistency or deus ex machina whatsoever. Aside from that, you can find it rushed, innapropriate or whatever, that is up to each viewer.

For me, I found rushed Eiji's development and I agree with what you said in previours thread about him and how he should have appeared before. With Kaoru a Kouga's abduction I don't feel the same. We saw what happened and now they are explaining why. Revealing this before would have broken the surprise and the twist, and it would have probably been an inconsistency given that there was no way to know that it was Eiris without waking her up.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I always figured that with Crows flight killing his timer that he would be the one going into monster form.

Hopefully Crow actually gets to do something next episode.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

wait...are you guys saying this berserk form of Garo showed up before?
what season and episode?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, I didn't actually say it was a deus ex machina, but I do think it's inconsistent from a storytelling perspective. The story has done nothing to establish a connection between the two events. Sure, you can claim that anything can happen because magic exists in this world, but that doesn't make it more satisfying?

And yeah, Garo berserk mode appears in the first season.
hisakuya
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by hisakuya »

Revorse wrote:wait...are you guys saying this berserk form of Garo showed up before?
what season and episode?
First season, give or take 3 eps before the end.

Spoiler
All they need to do to stop it is to press a certain button in the armour
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

takenoko wrote:The story has done nothing to establish a connection between the two events.
Why should it?

Let's compare with Garo season one. We see Kiba as Kaoru's consultant Ryuzaki, and at the end, it results that he was Kiba, the one who killed Kouga's father. The story didn't tell us anything about Ryuzaki being Kiba, and... it shouldn't. Why should they tell us? Why should they ruin the surprise? As far as is not an incoherence, it's perfect this way. We could say the same about Garo season two and the twins revelation. And I can't give more tokusatsu examples because I don't follow the two major franchises, but I could name hundreds of literature, movies or comics, critically acclaimed (if that means anything to anyone XD) where they give non hinted surprises.

So I don't tthink hat every connection between events has to be hinted before being shown. And in this particular case, considering that Eiris has just woken up, so nobody could possibly know what happened to Kouga and Kaoru, it would have been forced and ihcoherent.

Changing the subject, if you guys like Lost soul beasts you should take a look of some of the Garo pachinko videos, they have even fights between them XD.

Return to “-Makai no Hana-”