Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 06 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gold_Storm-_Shou_06

Hey, that was a good episode. And it looks like next one will also be plot relevant. I'm kind of psyched.

Both Ryuuga and Rian shined here. Probably because we got to see them do some solo investigation. Rian got to kick a little butt and do her cosplay thing. We saw a Horror pretending to be Captain America. And Ryuuga does the enraged thing in a pretty convincing way. And it might be plot relevant? Who knows what Jinga actually wants.

That said, I'm surprised that Jinga didn't know he was stringing along the Golden Knight till Amily told him. What? That wasn't part of the plan? That's weird.

I really liked the Horror design. (Remind me to make a mashup gif with ShurikenJin Paoon)

Plus, we're introduced to a cannibal Horror. Maybe that's why Jinga and Amily are making all those Horrors? Makes sense?

The series is starting to look up!
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 06 released

Post by PHurricane »

Hey, that symbol really was foreshadowing! Cool. Not exactly how I imagined it would tie-in, but still cool.

The face of that cannibal Horror looks an awful lot like a Makai Knight’s helmet. If that’s supposed to be Jinga, I wouldn’t be surprised if he turns out to be a corrupted Knight. Especially in light of the Horror’s comment about anger being enough to turn someone into a Horror and Amily’s line at the beginning of the episode about Ryuuga being incredibly angry at them. I doubt that was a coincidence.

As nice as this episode was, that preview blew it out of the water. Hope it lives up to expectations next week.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Oh man a Ganesh-themed Horror, awesome! This is definitely my favorite Horror design so far this series.

With the exception of Yukihime, this was a pretty good episode, lots of action and plot shoved in. Unfortunately it's looking like her character is entirely there for tits and ass, as made abundantly clear by the acting directions given when the lights went out. Plus the motorboating at the end, man, there is not enough Purell in the world...

I can't fault the actress for taking the part, someone would have had to, but I will fault the director for giving into his own pervvy fantasy. Come on Amemiya, you used to at least make it artistic.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, at least she's not naked like the last time she appeared. I can see why what's his face was complaining about this to Amemiya during the interview now. LOL
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I don't see the problem of Kuroki Momoko being just because she's hot. I mean, that's her character, just focusing on her physical attraction, like we have had other characters just focused on being serious, mysterious or frightening and that's all. Sex is an aspect as any other one, so I don't see what is wrong with her as long as she is a side chracater.

For me, the way Rian is scripted is the real problem, She is one of the main characters, and she is just supporting Ryuga, gettint her ass kicked so Ryuga can save her, and having silly plots like the one about marriage. It's a pity, more if we compare her with Jabi, Rekka o Kaoru.

About the episode, if was fine. I think the word fine describres this season for me at this point. It is not very enticing, I am not very interested in the characters, but it isn't boring and you can have some fun minutes watching it.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Was a decent ep. Sort of called it on the Gates delivery thing. Was hoping for more action, but I'm guessing they're saving it for the next ep. Which looks exciting.

Jinga vs Ryuuga. Let's do this.

The horror design this ep does look awesome. And the bat-horror Jinga (if that's him) looks wicked cool too.

Also it seems Amily is indeed a corrupt Priest? Make sense. She did broke that barrier after all.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Dragonfan wrote:I don't see the problem of Kuroki Momoko being just because she's hot. I mean, that's her character, just focusing on her physical attraction, like we have had other characters just focused on being serious, mysterious or frightening and that's all. Sex is an aspect as any other one, so I don't see what is wrong with her as long as she is a side chracater.
There's a difference between being a sexy character and being a useless sexy character. She's clearly there just to look at, which frankly is insulting to the audience, as if we can't watch something without the promise of boobs, and also says you're not confident enough your show can grab people's attention without titillation. Gouraigan did pretty much the exact same thing with random female characters that had no purpose except to be sexy and that show was a train wreck.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I would have liked it if Rian had fought a little more successfully and didn't need to be rescued at all. I can see they had to take it outside for the ending though. And yeah, I have been pretty sure Decade was a cannibal horror already - or perhaps getting fodder to resurrect the floating cube thingy. But I'm thinking it's him.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think Rian was fine. She pretty much had herself out of the trap and was holding her own, for the most part before Ryuuga showed up.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Lunagel wrote:
Dragonfan wrote:I don't see the problem of Kuroki Momoko being just because she's hot. I mean, that's her character, just focusing on her physical attraction, like we have had other characters just focused on being serious, mysterious or frightening and that's all. Sex is an aspect as any other one, so I don't see what is wrong with her as long as she is a side chracater.
There's a difference between being a sexy character and being a useless sexy character. She's clearly there just to look at, which frankly is insulting to the audience, as if we can't watch something without the promise of boobs, and also says you're not confident enough your show can grab people's attention without titillation. Gouraigan did pretty much the exact same thing with random female characters that had no purpose except to be sexy and that show was a train wreck.
Yes, but as I said, I see no problem in that. Like a comic relief is just there to be kind of funny, or those characters that are just there to be serious, etc... Sexy is, at least for me, a trait as valid as another one. So yeah, they wanted a useless sexy character and they did it, I think Kuroki Momoko is pretty and I like boobs, so no problem with it as long as she is just a very secondary character (or, in case she took a more prominent role, she would also be more developed as a character).

The problem for me comes when a main character of the show is, at the end of the day, doing exactly the same, just being a pretty Mary Sue. Because with Yukihime we only have a few seconds of boobs and that is all, but with Rian we have a lot of screen time (in episode 3, mostly all of it), and just to see her crying, being useless, being rescued and thinking about marriage.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Dragonfan wrote: Yes, but as I said, I see no problem in that. Like a comic relief is just there to be kind of funny, or those characters that are just there to be serious, etc... Sexy is, at least for me, a trait as valid as another one. So yeah, they wanted a useless sexy character and they did it, I think Kuroki Momoko is pretty and I like boobs, so no problem with it as long as she is just a very secondary character (or, in case she took a more prominent role, she would also be more developed as a character).
Adding a sexy character just for sex appeal's sake personally puts me in mind of waving keys in front of a toddler to distract them, but whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Dragonfan wrote:The problem for me comes when a main character of the show is, at the end of the day, doing exactly the same, just being a pretty Mary Sue. Because with Yukihime we only have a few seconds of boobs and that is all, but with Rian we have a lot of screen time (in episode 3, mostly all of it), and just to see her crying, being useless, being rescued and thinking about marriage.
I'll give you episode 3, but that was a pretty bad episode. This episode she went on her own to find the Horror, found him, had him tricked into thinking he had her in a trap and then got out of the trap. She was doing pretty well while Ryuuga was out chasing trucks like a dog. The problem with Rian is when they try to force her character into love-interest things, not when she's being allowed to act on her own.

And this is just me being pedantic, but a Mary Sue is a person who is beautiful, intelligent and supernaturally perfect and everyone loves them despite having barely known them for more than 3 seconds (i.e. Bella from Twilight). Rian is beautiful and intelligent, sure, but she's got flaws. Yukihime on the other hand, with the exception of intelligence (guys don't like smart girls duh), pretty much fits that definition squarely.
jason3000
Infinity
Quote: wagana wa garo,ogon kishi

Post by jason3000 »

Emma Guzman vs rian vs jabi vs rekka
Who is better?
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

Hard to tell. What would be your benchmark? Skill in fighting? Skill in magic? Way of speaking? Teamwork?

It's really hard to compare characters because they all have they good or bad points and saying who's better mean to choose if some points will weight more than others. But if I were to choose one, it would probably be Rian, but the others three will not be too far away, probably Jabi and Rekka second and Emma third or something like that.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Lunagel wrote:
And this is just me being pedantic, but a Mary Sue is a person who is beautiful, intelligent and supernaturally perfect and everyone loves them despite having barely known them for more than 3 seconds (i.e. Bella from Twilight). Rian is beautiful and intelligent, sure, but she's got flaws. Yukihime on the other hand, with the exception of intelligence (guys don't like smart girls duh), pretty much fits that definition squarely.
Yeah, I know what a Mary Sue is, but the problem is that I've never found them perfect. I mean, the example you gave is on the point, Bella from Twilight is far from perfect. Actually she has no virtues. She's not intelligent, not funny, not pretty, etc... But everyone fights for her.

So that's why I used the example. She's just there to be constantly saved (with a few exceptions, fortunately).

Let's take this episode as a example. You say that "Ryuuga was out chasing trucks like a dog". Well, finally he would have found the place, so Rian didn't help to find the place. And Rian wasn't winning the fight, so again, Ryuga could have handled the fight alone with no problem. In conclusion, she didn't achieve anything. That wouldn't be such a big problem if she actually were a good character, well developed, interesting personality, funny, etc... But she isn't.

But hey, we saw her as a schoolgirl, business woman with glasses and even had a butt shot (which took more or less the same time that Yukihime's motorboating), so everything is fine.

I think the only useful thing she did was sending that building to Makai, that was great.
hinomars19
Go Go!
Favorite Actor?: Kitagawa keiko
Favorite Band: Koda Kumi
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Yui Koike is like a kitten wrapped in cotton wool eating candyfloss. This cannot be disputed. You try, I flip your table (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post by hinomars19 »

I think I have to agree with Dragofan.

Personally, I prefer the honesty of a character like Yukihime over the smoke and mirrors that is sidekick Barbie.
Rian has done nothing genuinely useful, to the point the most ridiculous move was made the other week with her shooting Ryuga's portal SIMPLY to give her a part in the supposed 'combi'
This episode is no different an excuse to show hot girl on screen, and I found it rather boring. But somehow the writers have people fooled into believing she's 'bad ass' and stuff. I had no love for her in Yami either. I can't fault the actress unless I see her do something outside of Rian, but this is truly a sheep in wolves clothing. On the subject of Nanri Miki, can she do stunts or physical action? I mean, Kaoru was the poster girl for damsel in distress lover of the hero, but Mika Hijji kicked ass at the end when possessed by (insert name here since I forgot). Again, at least Kaoru was an honest character. Over used female archetype? Sure, but why lie?
My thoughts on Yukihime, well, let's just say that's why Gravure DVDs exist. I wouldn't have written the part in myself, but it doesn't bother me it's there. If we suddenly have an episode of Yukihime saving the day in a bikini I may change my stance, but for now it's kinda harmless. Just like Zero doing topless push-ups glistening with sweat didn't bother me either. A little indulgence in an adult show never hurt anyone.

Honestly, unless I'm falling asleep on these episodes, I can't help but wonder if most of these plots are smoke and mirrors. I see other posters getting excited over the episode's events and (no offense here) can't help but wonder if people are seeing what they want to see?

Sorry to be so negative, especially since this is my first comment on anything Garo (I've seen everything thus far, but was late to the game until makai no hana, so was mostly catching up with you guys)
Wish the villains would pick up the pace. NOW that's a blatant example of things having no purpose but looking good. Ending scene was cool, though!

I can say with much certainty; bring back Jabi, dammit!

Return to “-Gold Storm- Shou”