Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 07 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gold_Storm-_Shou_07

So that was a critical episode. (From veterans Taguchi Kei (writer) and Oohashi Akira (director))

I'm both delighted by the effort that went into this episode and disappointed because I feel like it'll be a while before we have another episode of this caliber. Anywayz...

So our heroes and villains clash. And what a massive clash it was. It made me realize how Jinga and Amily are a dark mirror for Ryuuga and Rian. Heck, Jinga's name even ends in ga. Why didn't we realize he's a knight before? Especially since Amily is an obvious Makai Priest (or former one at least).

Plotwise, we don't learn too much more about Jinga or Amily. But we do see the dynamic. Jinga is calm and collected while Ryuuga is slowly giving in to his anger. And we also learn that Jinga is the Horror cannibal. So a lot of stuff little details, but no overt plot changing ones... until the end when Gald comes in and steals the swords. A third challenger has arrived!

So this has become a real free for all. It'll be interesting to see how Ryuuga and Rian as well as JInga and Amily handle enemies on two fronts.

Also, butler/chauffeur Horror, an homage to Kodama?

I forget, the knights in Yami wo Terasu Mono's universe don't experience the timer issue, right? So there's no chance for Ryuuga to become a beast Garo the way Kouga and Raiga did?

Next episode airs June 5th. Looks like they need time to edit it?
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 07 released

Post by PHurricane »

Nothing says “Big Bad” like pulling up to a showdown at an empty building in a chauffeured limo.

Inoue Masahiro is so much fun to watch. Nothing that he said was shocking - really, it was just confirmation of a lot of stuff already heavily foreshadowed, but the fact that you can see how much he’s enjoying hamming things up really sells it. His impression of Ryuuga cracked me up so much I had to pause and walk away before I could continue the episode.

The choreography for the fights was excellent - well, except for the beginning part where all Rian and Amily did was smack their brushes against each other, but that’s more of a nitpick since they were probably saving the SFX budget for other stuff and Amily looks like the type to avoid hand-to-hand combat.

What’s-his-name (Gald, is it?) finally did something important. I wasn't expecting the daggers to be reunited that quickly, but I’m looking forward to him participating in things rather than floating around the edge of the action.
takenoko wrote:I forget, the knights in Yami wo Terasu Mono's universe don't experience the timer issue, right? So there's no chance for Ryuuga to become a beast Garo the way Kouga and Raiga did?
I don't think so? I've always found it really hard to keep track of which rules they follow and which they don't, but I can't remember anyone expressing concern about Ryuuga losing himself to the armor. I wonder if that's the point of Jinga's character. Rather than a timer, maybe the armor goes berserk based on the Knight's emotional state.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Thanks for pointing out Inoue's great acting. He's chewing the scenery apart and loving it. It's an interesting contrast to when he played the more straight-laced Kadoya. He's definitely the most fun guy in the series currently.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Somehow, I kinda expected the baddies to be ex-Knight and ex-Priest. It's like the 'norm' in GARO to have Knights fall from grace.
Season 1: Barago
Season 2 (Makai Senki): Fudou Sigma
Season 3 (Yami): Sonshi
Season 4 (Hana): Busujima Eiji

Perhaps Sonshi isn't a true baddie in that he was 'engineered' to become a Horror and didn't fall in the way the others did. Maybe in this Yami continuity, no Knight has actually given in to the dark side, so Jinga would be the first, hence Ryuuga's question of how a Makai Knight could turn into a Horror?

The dialogue between Amily and Rian was kinda dumb though. It's like as though they thought: We have two girls fighting, lets have them hurl insults at one another! That'd save us some CGI money and stunt-work!

Also... Now you're thinking with portals!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I didn't find the girl fight lacking at all. I mean, I think there's some real world conditions to take into consideration. Rian can do whatever, but have you seen Amily shoes? That lady can barely walk, much less run around and do kicks and stuff.

So they cross brushes and then switch to Rian fighting a cool pipe monster. I liked that.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Jesus dude, turn your headlights off, you're draining the battery!

Probably the best episode we've had so far but that was mostly because there was a huge plot dump. I hope they can keep up the pace and energy in the not-so-plot-heavy episodes
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

The chauffeur really reminded me of Kodama, the way he stands and fights.

I really hope the story plot will advance to the next arc. I'm tired of dagger-hunting already :P
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

That was a great episode. Action packed all the way but still able to advance the plot. Not only do we get an official reveal of Jinga/Amily being Knight/Priest, we also get to see their powers in battle. That portals air combo attack was awesome!

Love the ending when the daggers turns into swords then merges and taken away by the priest. Was a cool way to end the fight.

The only thing got me scratching my head was the Kodama jr fight, how come Ryuuga didn't just cut off his head? Instead he ask Rian to shoot the guy.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I didn't expect an epic fight like this so early in the series. I love Jinga after this. But Amily isn't particularly interesting yet. I which the women's battle was more intense.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Well actually it was not such a big shock, I think it was pretty obvious they were an evil priest and probably a fallen knight. The only question was exactly how and why - which we still don't know.

But anyway, hell yes Rian blowing up large quantities of trash horrors.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

I guess fallen knights are thing in Ryuga's time of era. Are knights really so frail that time that they can give in to evil? :\
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

Even the timers themselves are kind of inconsistent. The 99.9 seconds seems to last forever in some episodes. Minutes can go by in screen time, and the armour will still have plenty of time to spare. I get that it's plot-related and it does help explain why Makai Knights aren't walking around in armour 24/7 and it builds up the whole "walking a fine line between light and darkness to fight evil" trope but most of the time, showing the timer is kinda redundant when you know the fight will be over long before the timer runs out anyways.

Basically, the timer will only come into mention when the plot calls for it.

Jinga eating horrors is kind reminiscent of Barago though. So in a sense, even as a horror, he's still doing a Makai Knight's job?

I was a bit disappointed to see Ryuga lose his cool so easily though. He seems even more hotheaded and impulsive compared to the 1st season, and you would have thought that he had become wiser and more mature by the end.

Still, enjoyed the fight scene, but I guess it will be a while before we get a rematch. Not sure what the point of everyone fighting over the daggers is when the priest guy just runs away with it at the end, but we will see. :mrgreen:
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Well I think overall Ryuga has gotten a personality upgrade since the first season. Considering the events of Yami, I get that he gets angry when people are threatened. It's just that this bit about him raging is so terribly "Luke, give in to your anger" that it feels cheap. And let's be honest it's not like there haven't been people who were basically good who got forcibly possessed/converted by horrors before.

The original theory was that horrors need to find the inga in your heart and in the first season they would come out of gates cast by objects with a lot of inga that matched them, and sometimes they'd have to run around actively looking for a good "match" in a host. (Othertimes, a person with an appropriate dark streak would be right there, like at the suicide spot). Then in Yami they had the excuse that the madou horrors infected you through a mechanism and anyone could be actually converted into a horror, not possessed by something that came out of the shin makai.

So what we don't know with Jinga-tachi is if some named horrors jumped into them, assimilating their bodies and memories, or if they somehow actually converted. The thing is, what Kiba was doing in the first season was more of a conversion into a horror by using his armor as a chrysalis. Though they're different continuities if the origin for soul metal is the same, it makes sense he could do that. It's interesting the priestess somehow converted too - she was relying more on her skills than random horror powers. So probably they want to feed on the big bad that's currently floating on top of their coffee table. But still, since they keep tweaking the rules and mixing it up with separate continuities, it's not safe to make any assumptions.
JujinSan
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japan
Quote: Whats done is done and cannot be undone

Post by JujinSan »

Did anybody catch that the swords were behaving like magnets? First they repel then attract (the latter by force). The fight was really well done and there was not much dialog to hamper it.
Aka no Kenshi! MakaiRed! Kenpo Sentai Makaiger!
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

Garo continues to amp things up once they reach Episode 7. From Kouga/Rei's first confrontation to this cool action packed episode, I enjoyed it. Finally some plot developments as we get to know a little more about Jinga and Amily. Should've known that they were polar opposites of Ryuga and Rian. I enjoy Jinga's actor so seeing him act evil has been fun to watch. Good choreography in his fight scene against Ryuga. I wasn't expect Amily to fight because she wears high heels so I can understand the quick brush fight against Rian.

Return to “-Gold Storm- Shou”