Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Build
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuya Iwanaga
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona

New viewer getting into Garo Gold Storm

Post by Bayushi-rei »

Hi there. I have been a viewer of Tokusatsu shows for a modarate amount of time now (solely Super Sentai and Kamen Rider, really) but the recent talk I have been seeing about this new series of Garo has got me excited and I want to sit down and watch it. Before I do, however, I had a few questions I was hoping a kind soul on here might be able to answer?

1. What is Garo like as a whole franchise?
2. Is it like Super Sentai/Kamen Rider where all the different series are connected together to form a continuity?
3. Is this going to be aimed at a older demographic than Sentai/Rider are? If so, what is the target demographic?
4. What can I expect to be seeing as I go into this?
5. Is Gold storm the best place to start or is there another series that I should watch first to get some needed backstory?

Sorry for bothering you all and thank you for reading this. Thanks in advance for anybody kind enough to help me out before I devote a considerable amount of time to this show.
Currently watching:
Sentai - Dekaranger, Jyuohger, Kyuuranger.
KR - Faiz, Kabuto, OOO, Zi-O.
Other -

Finished:
Sentai - Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Kyouryuuger, Toqger, Lupin vs Pato.
KR - W, Fourze, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid, Build.
Other - Tokusatsu GAGAGA.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Re: New viewer getting into Garo Gold Storm

Post by Dragonfan »

For me, it is great overall, though some products are better than other. But that is something you're gonna have to discover by yourself.

2. Is it like Super Sentai/Kamen Rider where all the different series are connected together to form a continuity?

Do Super Sentai/Kamen Rider shows form a continuity? I thought they were pretty much independent.

With Garo we have three timelines.

Past timeline: Garo honoo no kokuin (the anime)
Present timeline: Pretty much every Garo series/movie/whatever except the anime and the future timeline.
Future timeline: Yami wo terasu mono and Gold Storm.

As far as I know, it hasn't been confirmed nor denied if these three timelines are in the same universe or are totally independent.

3. Is this going to be aimed at a older demographic than Sentai/Rider are? If so, what is the target demographic?

Yes, it is aimed at adult viewers.

Then again, that is something you should discover by yourself. I could tell you to expect the best ever and you may have so high expectations that can't be fulfilled, and I could tell you that is shitty and you may not even watch it.

5. Is Gold storm the best place to start or is there another series that I should watch first to get some needed backstory?

I always defend, in mostly any franchise, that you should start from the beginning, following the publishing chronological order. So, being Garo Goldstorm the last instalment, it's pretty much the opposite of what I recommend.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I wouldn't say that Super Sentai and Kamen Rider form their own continuity for the most part except for the Showa KR series which is all one continuity. All of their crossovers they have with themselves are to be considered to be non-canon.

I would also say that the three timelines thing is probably not connected to each other and should be independent to each other.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

It's toku meets horror. It also has nudity and some gore, but the violence is more or less on par with what you see on a Rider series, ironically enough.

It's more of a multiverse. You have the original storyline with Kouga and his friends. That storyline is continued with his son Raiga and his son's friends.

Then you have the Yami wo Terasu universe with Ryuuga. This is where Gold Storm takes place.

And then there's the anime.

Since there's nudity, probably pg-13? R?

It's a bit early so it's hard to tell. Some of the stuff is pretty good, but the filler in Garo can be really blatant at times too.
viewtopic.php?f=222&t=16899
From the polls, most people are either neutral or relatively positive about the series.

So far it's pretty self contained. You might miss some references since there's a movie and TV series that occur before this. Personally, I think you should at least watch Yami wo Terasu mono first, just so you know Ryuuga and Rian's backstory.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Watch them all. Do it. You will not regret it.
Bayushi-rei
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Build
Favorite Actor?: Tetsuya Iwanaga
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Persona

Post by Bayushi-rei »

Thank you all for answering and helping me out.

Just to quickly clarify, when I asked if it had continuity like Sentai and Rider, I might have asked the wrong question as what I meant to refer to was whether there were cross-over style things where you could clearly define "X came first, then Y came along, followed by Z". But, that also seemed to have been answered, so again, thanks. :)
Currently watching:
Sentai - Dekaranger, Jyuohger, Kyuuranger.
KR - Faiz, Kabuto, OOO, Zi-O.
Other -

Finished:
Sentai - Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Kyouryuuger, Toqger, Lupin vs Pato.
KR - W, Fourze, Gaim, Drive, Ex-Aid, Build.
Other - Tokusatsu GAGAGA.
jason3000
Infinity
Quote: wagana wa garo,ogon kishi

Post by jason3000 »

Watch the first season ,is good
If u can't stand it,
this series probably not suitable for you.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think a lot of us see the first season as great in retrospect. But there's a lot of great Garo out there, and for different reasons.

I definitely think people should watch all of the Garo series that we've put out (maybe not Red Requiem or Zero) but if you just want to watch the parts that interest you, that's probably a good approach too.
jason3000
Infinity
Quote: wagana wa garo,ogon kishi

Post by jason3000 »

I come up with this statement because me and my friends watch garo in our childhood,feeling this is the most badass series out there.
I just know got season 2 which is Makai senki. After 8 years,I recommend it to my friends that watch garo before,while the action is still great,
I feel like something which attract me to garo is gone,just dunno what it is,my friend also agree that the old feeling is gone d.

Return to “-Gold Storm- Shou”