Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 16 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gold_Storm-_Shou_16

As we suspected, this was the big showdown. The first round of fighting the Horror hoard was pretty good. Everyone had their own thing going on, Rian was dual wielding her pistol and her brush. Heh, Rian's fishing line saves Gald. You know, I think they've established enough verbs between each of the characters to make a video game.

But I get tired of group battles easily, so the second round didn't resonate as well for me. And it was incredibly stupid to have a four way thing during the countdown. Motherfucker, how many things do you think I can pay attention to at the same time? One. I can pay attention to one thing well. Two or more and my attention drops significantly. Since I was trying to split my attention 3 ways (ignoring Haruna), I literally had no idea what happened other than they somehow succeeded. No idea what Ryuuga's rocket boost thing was. Didn't even see that Daigo was fighting someone. I caught Rian getting grabbed by the guy but that was about it.

The hellish giant blob monster was awesome. I really liked that and feel like we haven't seen that yet.

Ryume joins the fight. Haha, so that's what the scrolls on her hair does? I know it's supposed to look overpowered, but it was a bit silly. That's sort of my problem actually. You expect her to be overpowered, but she fights just like any of the other Makai Priests in the group battle. They don't really establish her great power beyond taking down Jabba the tongue.

I think this Jinga/Amily fight was bad, if we're going to be honest. Having Gald, Rian, and Daigo muddling up the fight pretty much made it so there were no real good moments between them. Not like there were when it was just Ryuuga/Rian versus Jinga/Amily. Group fights are some of the worst things in any toku show/movie. They're fine in a Gokaiger movie where you need a bunch of past members to do their thing. But in general, I think they should be avoided since they're probably hard to shoot and the audience will probably think it's boring anyway.

Also, Rian got damsaled again. Wah wah, Japan.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 16 released

Post by DaVinci030 »

I like the very second (and third?) round as Ryume appears.

Five against two, I really like that fighting scene with the camera is moving.

Rian's capture by Jinga... I barely think it's similar to Tousei's (with some sort of red thing tied her to the Madou Horror altar or whatever?).
Spoiler
WTF? Are Gald and Daigo fighting?

zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Ryume's hair-scrolls look ridiculous. After knowing what they do, it's even more hilarious. HAHA! But seriously, they tout her to be some crazy powerful Priest, only to have her fight like any other Priest? I thought she would have been staying in the back and preparing some ridiculous ancient spell to take Jinga/Amily down instead.

Wow, Decade sure has a scary scream.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray

Post by xiiliea »

I'm beginning to like Jinga's actor now with his epic expressions and speech (I haven't watched Decade).

The 5v2 fight felt kinda overcrowded. I kept thinking that those Makai Priests were "extras" and kept getting into the way of the Makai Knights. You can only fight that hard when you need to be so careful with your sword/axe from hitting your allies.

The action was maybe way too quick. I couldn't even see what was going on sometimes, and have to rewind (sometimes multiple times like that 4x screen scene) a lot. I pity people who watch it on TV.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I loved this episode, specially that long take in which the cameraman is also a part of the fighting choreography, moving around and between the actors.

Rian like always, sometimes she has great moments and sometimes she is the damsel in distress again.

Seeing that you talk about the scrolls, Amemiya said in an interview that, when they have to think a new way of fighting, they brainstorm the silliest ideas and then they make them as if they were totally serious and normal, and he actually mentioned Ryums scrolls in particular.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

What an action packed episode. It had that intense feeling from the start. I am digging Ryuuga much more in this series than the previous one. He's kinda more badass now too. Finally Ryume gets to join in on the fun too. Always enjoy seeing her as she's extremely cute. The pictures on the homepage of her and the other girls is nice. ;)
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

Wasn't that the horror in the 3rd episode of Yami No Terasu? The one whose hands could detach into those naked women.

Cool to see it actually fight for once now that it isn't confined by its surroundings.

Was rematching the 2nd group fight. Only the two knights seem to do much fighting. For most part, the priests just hang around at the back and wave their weapons. Guess that's just the difficulty of coordinating larger battles?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It would neat to have the first mass group fight as a 360 video that you can pan around and watch the fight multiple times but at different angles.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

I really liked the one-take fight near the end. I also know Garo relies on CG/digital effects more than most Toku, but the greenscreen work during the blob fight still bugged me (Ryume's hair-scrolls almost made up for it, but the fact that she didn't do anything else OP in the episode was disappointing).

For whatever reason, neither in-suit fight really grabbed me (kind of a shame, since the last episode didn't have any in-suit fights), but at least the out-of-suit fight scenes were pretty good. Maybe if Daigo had a second Horror/enemy to take down?
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Like your avatar man.
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Post by Masked Rider »

I myself was nicely entertained by this episode. Like the Avengers movies, it's great to see all the various characters come together and do what they do best. To see Ryume-sama get in on the action was a nice addition too. Yes, her scroll ability looked odd, but not that it deterred me from all the cool action that was happening.
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Post by Mxylv »

Masked Rider wrote:Like the Avengers movies, it's great to see all the various characters come together and do what they do best.

Good point. I'm curious whether the actors realized they had Kamen Rider, Super Sentai and Ultra Series actor in the same room for that last fight.

@takenoko: Thanks!
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Oh shit. Watchdog like character not being totally useless!

Return to “-Gold Storm- Shou”