Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 23 released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Gold_Storm-_Shou_23

Huh... weird ring of naked white men. Amemiya has quite the imagination.

Rian Rider Kick Amily into oblivion.

Mecha Garo versus Jinga bot.

Wait, this is the last episode? What are they going to do for the two weeks before the anime starts then?

I guess that's an okay ending. The bad guy's dead and everyone goes back to doing what they're doing. It's a poor epilogue for Rian and Jinga, considering the character growth that happened in the series. Kiss or hug. Or something! Hold hands? No?

Characterwise, it's a terrible ending. There's no emotional arcs for any of the characters. The episode was basically a long fight scene. Did Daigo say or do anything to honor Seiji's spirit? Nope, he fought Horrors until he made his axe big to prevent Radan from stepping into the trap (why did he do that anyway?). Gald did his mission, so he gets to just hang out with his sister, which is okay I guess. Ryume does what Ryume does. Even Jinga and Amily are super boring here.

Excellent series, bad final episode. Episode gets a 2 while the series gets a 5.

Series poll:
viewtopic.php?f=222&t=16899
Last time it had 3.96 with 23 votes. Do you guys want to revote and change the outcome, now that the series is over?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Garo -Gold Storm- Shou 23 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

takenoko wrote:Wait, this is the last episode? What are they going to do for the two weeks before the anime starts then?
Next week is a special promoting the live action Tsuri Baka Nisshi fishing TV series. Who knows about the week after that?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Horray! They won! They've learned the very important lesson... to tell people when you want to bone them? To not leave their children with sacrifice-crazy villagers?

Series is pretty good but I can't help but feel the ending is a bit blah.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

To reenforce that, there are only 63 lines of actual dialogue in this episode. So it's no wonder that this might feel a bit more shallow for it. By comparison, the previous episode had 119 lines.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

I liked the call back to Yami, especially since all 3 were dead, and she was going to join them. Rian didn't get much time with Hakana, but I guess she's the one that inspire her to become Garo's (or Ryuuga's) partner. I'm glad she's still alive after that (or maybe she came back when some of the life energy goe to her?).

So no real change in Rian and Ryuuga's relationship, except that now Ryuuga know how Rian feel.

I didn't get why Jinga put an "you have outlived your usefulness" to his wife, especially since he care about her, even after they became Horrors. The whole moon thing reminded me of the first episode when Jinga said to Amily (but he did said that like it was more like it was out of habit) "You're my moon, Amily" when she said that the moon was beautiful.
It's a poor epilogue for Rian and Jinga, considering the character growth that happened in the series. Kiss or hug. Or something! Hold hands? No?
Rian and Jinga? Are you sure? Did you meant Rian and Ryuuga or Jinga and Amily? If it's Rian and Ryuuga, I agree, but Ryuuga tend to be slow about love and Rian doesn't seem to know how he feel about her.

I liked Gold Storm but Yami is still my favorite.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh whoops. Brain fart!
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Gave it a 3. For that anime fight sequence and the dramatic bits with Ryuuga holding Rian. Other than that, this was an average ending. I always felt this season played it too safe with its characters. Since it is a franchise, it's understandable they might want to save things for potential future. Plot-wise, it was decent, but characters were weak. There weren't much development and the ending didn't leave any lasting impression.

While this did a lot right where Yami and Makai no Hana did wrong, this sacrifices individual story for a single story structure that didn't push the envelope.

All in all, was a good season still. I give it a 3.

I had fun following this and posting on a weekly basis. Until next time. Thank you to all the staff for another great work. Best of wishes to many more!
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I would give it a six. I thought it was a really good finale and a great final battle. I particularly liked that they swerved on me. I thought they were gonna really kill Rian. There's a certain dramatic requirement to these kinds of self-destruct maneuvers. They can really take almost anything but a final boss out, but escaping the cost is virtually impossible because not paying for a self destruct move undermines the dramatic power. Pretty much anything that can prevent that cost from being paid is gonna come across as a deus ex machina, unless it's a power of true love thing and they manage to make it not be cheesy. When Ryuga completely lost it and became giant golden Garo, we saw her burning body be put down to Earth safely, but that didn't save her from dying. Instead she came back after the life energy that had been tied up in the castle was finally released. So her life was paid for effectively. during all of these many episodes that have been a continuous running fights, the problem has been that the heroes and the villains have been too closely matched and actually the villains are a bit stronger. There wasn't a secret technique or a guest star who came in and tipped the balance instead it was Rygas feelings in the end, and yea, Jinga blabbing about how Rian actually felt was the straw that broke the camel's back, so basically the villain screwed himself over with his big mouth.

In the previous episode I didn't think having the people of the city come out and see what was going on was very eventful. But having their life drained and then having that life be redirected into a Garo manifestation and then go back to them felt much more significant. Because instead of being victims who fought back a little bit (last week) their souls and life actually became part of Garo and helps defeat the evil castle. And I feel like that's a level of participation higher than you would normally see in this kind of situation. Actually, this episode was suddenly giving me a serious Ultraman vibe, Because having all of the people of the city/world send Ultraman their good energy to give him strength is definitely a big finale trope that that series uses.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

gave it a 3. I didn't like the finale at all it felt rushed like Yami wo Terasu Mono's finale. They just had a huge battle at the last episode and that was it. It felt like the writers just wrote it and was done. The series as a whole is a 5 though. Better than Makai no Hana
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

I don't know which series was worst, this or MAKAI NO HANA. I give it a Decade out of 5.

But seriously though, this isn't even nearly on the same scale as the Yami wo Terasu series. We didn't get any of that freaky horror aspect. And the futuristic world is nonexistent here. I don't want to get into the argument of "how the hell is Yami set in a futuristic world?" again. All I'm saying is, this series looked like it took place in modern times just like any other series except Yami, and it didn't have holographic screens and lasers. This series also didn't really expand on any Makai lore. It was just bland to me besides all the awesome choreography with Masahiro Inoue; without him, this series probably would've been the worst yet. Yami is my favorite series but this was a bit disappointing. At least Jinga sort of kissed Amiri. Ryuga didn't even try. I'm done, lol.
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

I found it weird that Jinga was able to wield the Garoken. I thought the whole point was that only the one it recognises as Garo could wield it. Maybe it is a plot hole conveniently ignored in the interest of a cool dual-wielding moment?

I felt that Jinga went down too quietly. I like my villains complex. His backstory started out compelling (a former knight who goes berserk in a moment of folly), but that has barely been built on ever since. Jinga even admits that he is not acting out of revenge; he's just being evil for the sake of being evil. Why is he even creating horrors in the city again? Just because he feels like it? He just wants to bring about the end of the world because he is bored? He had a hard time resonating with me.

Amily's death was too abrupt and devoid of any drama. Like the writers just wanted to get that part over and done with.

Radan...just felt like a joke of a horror. He is a big, shambling giant that seems to be collapsing under its own weight. It can't even walk without rocket boosters under its feet? And it seems to take forever to reach its destination. Kinda reminds me of the final fight scene in Fast and Furious 6 where the runway just never ends.

I liked the brief flashbacks of Hanna, Enho and Burai, but anyone who skipped the 1st season likely won't know who they are. And Enho didn't really sacrifice herself for anything.

I am a bit conflicted about the final fight starting so early. On one hand, it means that we don't get pumped with so many filler episodes. On the other hand, it feels like the 2nd half is just one massive filler episode dragging on way longer than it needs to. What with Jinga and Amily taking turns to be resurrected, Daigo being out for the count, then miraculously getting his second wind back. Rian getting held hostage time and time again. It just felt tedious after a while.

An okay series, I guess. I liked that we see a more Garo action compared to the 1st season, but I still preferred the acting and raw energy and emotions in the 1st season overall.
Frankie Elric
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Quote: "Henshin"

Post by Frankie Elric »

So Jinga care more for the throne then his devoted wife
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

I'm surprised no one pulled an ONORE DIKEIDO pic here yet :lol:

That makai trap was so weird, with the digging men/sprites/things... and then a bigger one appeared with a shovel. It was also such a dumb plan, because the hole they made was just barely big enough to fit Radan's foot -- and he nearly stepped on one of the priests too, if not for Daigo coming in for a last minute save with a giant ax.

I knew that with all the life particles were swirling about, Ryuga was going to somehow gain a new power-up from it to defeat Jinga, but didn't expect it to be in the form of Garo Robo. I don't know why they love to run these giant fights in slow motion... is it for realism, because such large beings aren't supposed to move fast from our perspective? But then again this is a series where ordinary humans summon supernatural armor out from another dimension to fight man-eating undead and can land safely from a several storey-high building so realism is supposed to have already taken a back seat. Ah well, nitpicks aside... loved the awesome (albeit short-lived) scythe of horrors and the way it disintegrated back into horrors after failing to strike.

I don't remember ever seeing a kiss in any Garo series, so I guess Rian lying in Ryuga's arms is the closest thing that we'll get to an actual romance. If she had just tilted her head further to rest on his shoulder, it would have been perfect but... ah well... typical Japanese anime/toku/drama culture.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

MadCow wrote: I don't remember ever seeing a kiss in any Garo series, so I guess Rian lying in Ryuga's arms is the closest thing that we'll get to an actual romance. If she had just tilted her head further to rest on his shoulder, it would have been perfect but... ah well... typical Japanese anime/toku/drama culture.
I guess you haven't seen Makai Senki ending with Kouga and Kaoru :D
envedges
Infinity

Post by envedges »

The special effects were pretty good in the last battle, but overall this season was pretty mediocre in my opinion. It didn't really contribute enough to be call sequel. It ended leaving me thinking that I still have to watch the movie to connect with the first season. It is kind of like how some people were upset when the new MGS game left some plot holes in the story and expect people to buy it in future DLC, except this season is no where even close to a masterpiece. This season could have easily been a spin-off light series with the length of 12 or 13 episode. They threw random supporting characters in, which for the most part they were pretty decent characters, but they didn't really have a great way closing these characters' stories. It's the problem that I wished they trim some of the filler in the beginning and introduce the characters earlier. The one thing that I can say that this series improve over the Yami o Terasu Mono is Rian. She is less annoying in this one and reminds me more like Rin from Fate/Stay Night UBW. Other than that, the only other nice thing I can say is that this series is still better than Makai no Hana as it didn't really pissed me off in the same level. But compare to Makai Senki, which is a far superior Garo sequel done right, and even Yami o Terasu Mono, this season is just disappointing and basically lost all the magic that those season have.

The score that I gave: 3/5
My real score: 2.5/5

Return to “-Gold Storm- Shou”