Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Garo Honoo no Kokuin 01 spoiler thread

Post by takenoko »

Is the place called Leiden? The wiki says the country's name is Variante ヴァリアンテ.
Sume Gai
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: There is no Justice, there is just us -Death; from [i]Reaper Man[/i] by Sir Terry Pratchett

Post by Sume Gai »

Hmmm.. Wasn't really the best start to a series though the medieval conspiracy of Horrors holds some promise, particularly when Variante (the kingdom that has been burning the Makai Preists[?] under the guise of a witch hunt) seems to have some connection to Garo itself. Given we've had four Garo series set in 'present day' I think there's plenty of interesting questions that can be tackled by this setting. (mainly dealing with the history of Garo itself and the Makai orders)

Nonetheless I feel they either should have done a better job explaining some of the concepts of the Makai-verse or had a sharper hook, character wise. The Action wasn't bad though I can't say it wowed me and I don't think I could use this as a good introduction to the metaseries. The Art and CG don't mix well but Garo's been plagued by CG integration of varying quality since inception so you sorta learn to deal with it or you don't remain a Garo fan for long.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

takenoko wrote:Is the place called Leiden? The wiki says the country's name is Variante ヴァリアンテ.
Leiden is where they are currenlty in(sorry for not being clear in last post). I doubt they are too far away probably a neighbouring country or at most a neighbors neighbor and end of first episode looks like they are close to Valiante for some reason to me.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Like others have speculated, I think the anime is a completely elseworld story from the live action ones. The western aesthetics and the fact that Zaruba exists probably makes it unlikely that it'll ever connect to the main story.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

takenoko wrote:Like others have speculated, I think the anime is a completely elseworld story from the live action ones. The western aesthetics and the fact that Zaruba exists probably makes it unlikely that it'll ever connect to the main story.
Unless they are going to make a wormhole sucked Garo and sended it back in time (you know maybe something related Eris did that and it may explain changes in armor maybe what prince got was some sort of half of armor) though I guess it would be too much of a stretch if it was the case.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Mandalori wrote:It's funny how any series that don't have Kouga or Kaoru get dumb hate. Yami, Zero, Hana and now Honno. It's like you always try to find excuses to hate it.
It's not mindless hate. It's sharp criticism for series which are clearly inferior to the first season due to a number of structural flaws, flaws which were not created by the alternate cast but by the story presentation and production, flaws which didn't have to be there. In other words, disappointment with weaker efforts because they can do better.
Weather
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite Actor?: Tomoyuki Dan
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

Post by Weather »

And so i am the only person that liked the episode, okey ;_;

Animation and style is gorgeus, intro is unique and fun to watch.

Manly but little whiny guy = Awesome

Protagonist cool but not too serious = Awesome

Horror desing = Has own style in the series, but still feels like horrors from main Garo

Lots of things from main Garo series like makai flames and female priest kicking ass, i wonder what they use to get a flame to reveal horror.

Now about "cons":

Rip off's Berserk - Starting off with guy having sex with monster, being born from dying woman, seal that eats away armor? First, it shows Zoro character, and from what i've seen, it's fitting for him to be wth woman in the first episode, albo the exposition he delivers is neatly though out, since you would try to woo a woman by telling her some stories (ok more if medieval ages than today but you get my point) In case of Guts, he was just fucking and killing. As for dying woman....pretty sure it was used in other animes so, whatever, same goes for his seal of flames.

Why medieval setting - ......Why the heck no? Makai knights have a long ass history, it's great idea to make action in different times (besides we already had Garo in future so whatevs).

Peoples don't get splitted like this, giving birth with tied legs - Well.....Screw it, those are nitpicks, i'm not gonna watse time defending nitpicks >.>

Child surviving flames, and Zoro not saving his wife - It was already explained by someone why he survived...but still you must have been blind to not see a green glow around him, or did you presume his mom was masturbating with fluorescent dildo and baby was covered in it, when she gave birth to him? XD Also, i'm sure there was a reason why he didn't saved her, and it will be revealed later in the series.

Also, i realyy like how you already assume that series will be generic and unimaginative and there is no way it would be able to do something realyy great :D

But whatever, i'm going to have fun watching this anime, and discussing it with friends ^^
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Weather wrote:And so i am the only person that liked the episode, okey ;_;
No, you are not, I liked it too. But I didn't bother myself in writing here because, as you already said.
Weather wrote:Well.....Screw it, those are nitpicks, i'm not gonna watse time defending nitpicks >.>
jason3000
Infinity
Quote: wagana wa garo,ogon kishi

Post by jason3000 »

I think got 20 more episode to go,pls dun straight up bash the show,also i m ok with this show since i havent watch berserk before,i hope they will follow all the concept from older garo like human without training cannot straight up touching soul metal.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Weather wrote:Snipped, quote is too long to be relevant
I like the show as well my post is even around here somewhere however my reasons are less complex and more of what people consider as a cons. (mainly because it is like Berserk, I mean cmon no matter how much I like Berserk it won't contniue as tv series and this can at least try to fill the void)

Since I am in mood however let me write what I think about certain points.

1) before she gave birth some of wood cracked up it may be let her legs free to give birth easier.

2) lets assume her legs was not free that means that baby born ripping through her belly partly which means she already had a fatal wound if fire was not started to burn her already that maybe why Zoro left her in there.

3) Carrying a baby and running is one thing carrying a woman and baby and running in onther the translation I watched had a scene right after they run away where king or vizier claiming with baby Zoro can't run far away now imagine if he saved woman as well what would happen. Remember there are still makai knights and they can't fight against normal humans who would probably the pursuers. Ofcourse there is also speciulation that the protection spell took much from her and she didn't have much time left anyway maybe what she was trying to protect her baby was not normal fire but garo armors own fire and it required a much stronger spell, this also explains how that baby immediatly started to burn from Zoro's armor but spell was weakining and Zoro uses a cloth to wrap baby.

4) If the spell to protect baby from armors fire than maybe zoro didn't wrap a clout around baby to protect him from the flames of his own armor but to not let any one see his hair color. Red seems to be rare after all.

5) person not getting split like that. Yes they do not however animes rarely have real dismemberment scenes to begin with we are talking about a genre where a person can cut people in half with an axe or sword so nitpicking on this scene is nothing more than nitpicking every unrealistic scenes in this kind of anime.

6) Armors seals eating protoganist. We still don't know what is the relation with what prince got for his birthday and armor itself just becuase it looks like how it was in Berserk doesn't mean it is anything related. We already know that Makai Knights armors can go berserk after time limit perhaps his limiter is broken and solely relies on his willpower? We will see in the upcoming episodes.
silver arrow
Gao
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: All of them :3
Favorite Band: The Black Mages
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: One Piece

Post by silver arrow »

Just watched the first 2 episodes. I thought they were pretty good. The second episode was better. Yeah, it took a lot of ideas from Berserk but that doesn't really bother me. It's also a lot different from Berserk. So far it seems like a show that any Garo and anime fan would enjoy.
Henshin a go go baby!
-Joe
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Dragonfan wrote:No, you are not, I liked it too. But I didn't bother myself in writing here because, as you already said.
Weather wrote:Well.....Screw it, those are nitpicks, i'm not gonna watse time defending nitpicks >.>

I think you guys are missing the forest for the trees. Yes, we nitpicked some things, but we didn't focus on those things. I certainly didn't say that I can't watch this show because they have unrealistic physics. That would just be silly and I'd have very few shows I could watch. I think most of us just pointed out the nitpicks and moved on.

While I haven't seen the second episode yet, the first episode didn't impress me in terms of storytelling and action. The story was poorly framed and as multiple people have said, a ripoff of Beserk. The action was decent, but was only a small chunk of the episode while a good quarter of it was boring talky bits. While the first episode doesn't necessarily epitomize the rest of the series, you must admit that its job is to get people interested in seeing the rest, and for many people here, it has failed in that job.

I think you may be letting your love for the live-action cloud your judgement a little here. For any kind of sequel or reboot, you have to ask yourself "if I didn't love/hate the original so much, what would be my opinion of this?" Distance yourself and look at it with a critical eye.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Lunagel wrote: I think you guys are missing the forest for the trees. Yes, we nitpicked some things, but we didn't focus on those things. I certainly didn't say that I can't watch this show because they have unrealistic physics. That would just be silly and I'd have very few shows I could watch. I think most of us just pointed out the nitpicks and moved on.

While I haven't seen the second episode yet, the first episode didn't impress me in terms of storytelling and action. The story was poorly framed and as multiple people have said, a ripoff of Beserk. The action was decent, but was only a small chunk of the episode while a good quarter of it was boring talky bits. While the first episode doesn't necessarily epitomize the rest of the series, you must admit that its job is to get people interested in seeing the rest, and for many people here, it has failed in that job.

I think you may be letting your love for the live-action cloud your judgement a little here. For any kind of sequel or reboot, you have to ask yourself "if I didn't love/hate the original so much, what would be my opinion of this?" Distance yourself and look at it with a critical eye.
In your "forest" they were reasons like "why isn't it in Japan" or "why didn't they show the main character growing up". For me, this kind of cons are just pointless, you are not criticizing things that are done wrong, you are criticizing things that you wouldn't do that way.

The ripoff of Berserk is another argument you people repeat continuously. Do you know what is a ripoff of Berserk? European Middle Age. They took a lot of things from Berserk...

And about our judgement, I judge every product separatedly, and I don't think that it is clouded, because there are some previous Garo products I don't like. But, being that an anime, that is easy to see. Go watch/read reviews of a lot of people who haven't watched any Garo product before, and consequently they don't have "their love for the live-action cloud their judgement", you'll find tons of good reviews (and bad too, of course).
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Finally got a chance to watch this. Honestly it's not bad or good(so far) it just sort of exists.
I've lightly googled looking for reviews and some people are liking it and some just seem utterly repulsed by it.
As of now, it's nothing that's making me NEED to watch it but there definitely isn't anything that says "don't watch it this show is horrible" either. That being said I am interested in how the Animation will play out.
Cirdec
7X

Post by Cirdec »

You guys are way too upset about this. I think their CG work is top notch, I could watch those fight scenes all day.

I like the series so far (2 episodes in). It has: swords, golden armor guy, silver armor guy, swords, fire, monsters, swords, magic, and swords. Having completely flat characters and uninspired character design just makes it easier to ignore the parts that aren't lasers, fire, and/or swords.

That being said, I don't like how low the action to talky ratio is already. It's only bound to get worse after the inevitable culling of spending a lot of animation studios seem to do after the first few episodes, and then come the panning stills (I'm looking at you BLEACH).

I think it's fine to mix it up a little. Let the franchise spread and risk its black sheep.

Hell, look at what they just did with Zelda. That new game isn't Zelda at all! It's DYNASTY WARRIORS! How dare they!

...and so on, I think you see my point, I won't push it too much.

Return to “Garo Anime”