Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ghost?

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How do you like KR Ghost?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:28 am

☆☆☆☆☆ Transcendent
9%
☆☆☆☆ Great Caeser's Ghost
16%
☆☆☆ G-g-ghost?!
35%
☆☆ Better call a Ghost Buster
20%
☆ Better off dead
19%

Total votes: 99
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ghost?

Post by takenoko »

Master Poll Link

Given the negative opinion thread, I figured it'd be interesting to set up a series poll for Ghost. I'll let it run for 100 days, which should cover till the end of the TV series run. You have 100 days before you croak, I mean vote!
Mxylv
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Daisuke Terai
Favorite Band: GaGaalinG
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all.

Re: Poll: What's your opinion of Kamen Rider Ghost?

Post by Mxylv »

So far, it's been pretty... okay? I think my main problem so far is that there'll be a really great episode that gives some character development and takes itself seriously, but usually by the next episode, any sign of that character development will be gone. Another problem for me is that there are so many comic relief characters (Onari, the painting ganma while he was around, Yurusen and sometimes even Sennin) that the show seems to have gone from "drama with a bit too much comedy" to "comedy with the occasional drama." I'll wait a bit before giving a more complete review, but for now I'm rating it a 3.

In addition, between Toucon and Mugen, I believe that Ghost has taught us one thing: if at first you don't succeed, die, die again.
Last edited by Mxylv on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching:
Kamen Rider Kuuga, Gotchard

Watched:
KR W, Gaim, Ghost - Build, Geats
Ultraman '66, Leo, Great, Nexus - U7X, Ginga - Blazar
Donbrothers
GS Sho, Dogengers S1-4
When in doubt,
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The issue for me personally is that the arc structure is too similar to Drive, while the characters aren't as appealing so it's not very engaging. Like most peoples opinion on Drive is the first 15 episodes are slow, but the characters are interesting and the rider fights and forms are good so it's fun and then it really picks up. Ghost is the same, but the initial 15 are even slower and the pace doesn't really ramp up until the Gamma world arc.

And Ghost has way too many forms. Holy shit. I get needing to sell toys but that's why Drive had the utility cars and Fourze the other astro switches.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Right now it's at a 3 with me. The show isn't outright incompetent (1) and the Ganma World + Alain arcs are good enough to keep it from being consistently bad (2). However we still have a dozen or so episodes to go, so there's time for the series to deliver a killer final arc, or alternatively, drop the ball entirely and take the series with it. So far I'd call it a slightly better Wizard with fewer annoying characters.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I'm enjoying it. It isn't in my top five Riders, but it's pretty fun.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

For me:

+
Good Rider Design.
Yurusen.
Interesting Antagonist riders.
Some interesting forms.
Makoto reminds me a l Minami Kotaro.

-
Secondary Riders were forgoten quickly after they became good.
Support characters do not only not apport anything to the show, they actually make it worse.
Story is beggining to stall.
Too many unnecesary ultimate forms.
Not enough use of the Bike.
Fight secuences have failed at many points.
Uninteresting villain characters after Alain.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

I can bear to watch it each week, though I tend to fast forward at some scenes.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

Right now so aren't I feeling any pain in watching it, but it's not good either at the moment. It has it's moments and from what I can see so do I hope that it will at least have a good ending.
Yeah, I will keep watching it each week.
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

I voted with "I can change this later" in mind, but I give it a 4/5 so far. The opening arc to get the 15 eyecons was brilliant, but they really yanked the handbrake after that. They seemed to drop from the story-telling method and instead sunk a lot of time into character development, but most of those characters are still a bit mysterious, or ignored altogether (Sennin's Ganma twin????). Luckily, most of the straight-up MOTW fillers have flown under my radar, so it's going to rank a little bit higher for me. How much I like this show is going to depend on the final story arc and what happens. I'm hoping they pull the same stunt they did early in the series and end on a very high note, but there is a lot that needs to be covered to get there.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
godstriker8
Infinity

Post by godstriker8 »

Alain is a pretty good character, and the supporting cast is a lot more bearable than Drive Imo.

But the story isn't going anywhere interesting, and having Ghost die 3 times is a bit much. Just feels like a waste of an interesting concept and rider designs.
domoon
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by domoon »

it started pretty fun... but midway it's losing it's touch. i'll still bear it to the end tho. i've been invested to the show this far to not know the ending.

OOT, but catastrophe's mention of drive is similiar to most opinion i've read online. started slow but getting good. i only watched until the beginning of the painter(?) monster and can't bear it anymore. if it's getting better later, might as well try to catch it up later.
joan_kurisu
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: KR Decade & Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Masayuki Izumi
Favorite Band: Flow
Quote: Torisugari no Kamen Raida da. Oboeteoke.

Post by joan_kurisu »

I think the only thing I like about KR Ghost is the opening song...
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

I like it when it first started. With Takeru choosing to revive Kanon instead of himself and knowing a bunch of historical person plus watching Alain learning what eating is is quite enjoyable.

But then it went downhill. Extremely fast. Some latest episode even have me flinching in pain just to watch (the Dream episode, Onari, the latest where it's about idol group, Onari, the Ganmeisers, overusage of the word 'believe', etc). And I am considering dropping the series mainly because I've started associating the word 'believe', 'Nii-chan' muttered in other tv show I watched with Ghost.......
BIGH1001
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Do i have to answer?
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Destiny
Quote: Carpe Diem
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by BIGH1001 »

It took a lot of time to get better. I feel the show started to pick up when necrom was introduced. Granted, i had the same problem with gaim, but gaim was a whole 'nother beast. a 3-4 for me. About par with decade
PkmnChmp5
Go Go!
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: "I can think of no sadder creature in this world than a man unable to inspire a little jealousy. Eh, Tiz?" - Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Post by PkmnChmp5 »

At first I kind of enjoyed it. Especially the Robin Hood episode & when Specter first showed up. Then I started going back & forth, & now I straight up don't like it anymore. I feel like they did a bad job of giving us little bits of the story at a good pace (if that makes sense). It didn't keep me engaged because I was so confused by so much happening with little to no explanation. It's like they moved on to the next thing before explaining the last one. Even now, I don't really understand what Adonis was trying to do, why Adel overthrew him & then killed him, or the whole thing with Saionji, Takeru's dad & that other guy who's name I forgot. We're ~3/4 of the way through the show & we don't know anything that happened to Makoto & Kanon in the Ganma World, how they became Eyecons, what those pod things are, what the villians' main plan is, what the deal is with Senin/Edith, or anything about the Ganmaizers.

The supporting cast are all annoying. Akari is basically Clemont from Pokemon (I don't like Clemont). Kanon does nothing but go around saying people's names dramatically. We got that one scene with Onari & Jabel that hinted that maybe Onari had something dark in his past, but they never mentioned it again, & instead Onari just went back to being obnoxious all the time. And those other guys are useless. I don't even know their names.

The villains are all shallow because we don't know their motivations. Takeru has not really changed or grown since the beginning of the show. Alain has regressed from a kind of interesting character to a goofball who just wants Takoyaki all the time. Makoto had the potential to be a really deep character (Haha, "deep". Deep Specter) but they just made him into a generic sidekick who randomly has a doppelganger and some kind of weird attraction to his sister.

I see a lot of people comparing Ghost to Wizard. Now Wizard had it's problems & a lot of wasted potential, but it was nowhere near as bad as this. Wizard is automatically better for it's soundtrack alone. Plus the characters were more likeable & the plot was more coherent.

I love the Ghost suits, the eyeball themes in everything, & the transformation jingles, but sadly that's about it...

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”