Ghost & Drive: Chou Movie Taisen Genesis released!

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:20 am

☆☆☆☆☆
7%
☆☆☆☆
7%
☆☆☆
27%
☆☆
47%
13%

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ghost & Drive: Chou Movie Taisen Genesis released!

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... en_Genesis

What? I don't watch Ghost. Why do they have a phone that works across time periods?

Frankly, the movie was boring to me. I'll get my complaints out of the way, then delve into the few things I did enjoy. For such a long story, you'd think there'd be a clear and obvious conflict or antagonist to thread the story along. But I don't feel like I understood what the bad guys wanted at any point. The poor Roidmudes are just a shell of their former selves.

To be uncharitable, this was a Ghost movie with Drive guest stars. In other words, anyone who's a Drive character was wasted here. Like, we don't even get to really enjoy Chase's return. Is Go really the best character we have for saying goodbye to him?

I really liked Takeru's dad, I thought he was awesome. But I can't say I felt a lot of pathos when he dies. Maybe it's just because the actors or the writing is bad, but Takeru doesn't try very hard to save his dad's life. It's Shinnosuke who offers his dad the "Maybe you should be careful today" line. Also, at no point do they explain why Takeru's dad opened up a wormhole (or why he's able to do that). Who wrote this anyway? Hayashi Makoto? Who's that? Let's see, looks like he wrote a lot for the Keitai Deka series, so he's used to writing for kids, I guess?

I guess Takeru getting his dad's Eyecon should have been a big dramatic moment. But it wasn't.

In general, I just want to punch the Ghost characters whenever I see them. They're so irredeemably annoying.

Why was Takeru's dad killed December 20? At first, I thought that was the movie release date, but that was December 12th.

On to the good stuff:
-Takeru's dad is very manly and cool
-I don't understand why Japan loves the old man gags and imitations so much, but Honganji is a riot as always
-Exorcist Akari was great. If I'm not lazy, I think it'd be funny to sub the scenes of her being strapped down with the lines from Ichigou's origin. The actress is cute too
-Tridoron bursts out of the ground to save the day
-The best part of the movie was definitely the non-fighter characters getting in on the brawl. I'm sick of brawls, but you don't get to see these characters fight normally, so that was actually really fun. Poor Kiriko, when will they return your Rider boots?
-The ghost monsters were stupid, but the giant CGI monster was cool, but the fight itself was sort of lame in a "we're fighting a CGI monster lameness".

Why does Ghost ride an iguana?

Oh, I guess Kiriko and Shinnosuke got married. Ho hum. As much as I liked Drive, that sub story always seemed like it made the least sense to me. I guess they locked themselves into it with Drive Future though. It just never felt like it was given the right amount of writing and screen time. And they never really resolved whether Kiriko had feelings for Chase. I mean, if she had none at all, I would feel like the show was misleading on that front.

Was going to give the movie a 3, but they really make you work for the good parts. The movie is too long and badly paced for it. 2.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: Ghost & Drive: Chou Movie Taisen Genesis released!

Post by Phoenix512 »

I do like the idea of the Kamen Rider version of the Super Sentai VS instead of the three act system of One Rider, Two Rider, and One/Two Riders that started way back in the Decade/W days. But it didn't do it right as take said with it's a Ghost movie with Drive characters. You can take out the Drive characters and replace them with a bunch of nobodies just for this movie and nothing would have changed.

I really wish that they could have come up with a better reason of why Belt-san was hanging out near the temple in the past or any reason at all for that matter. It was just lazy writing because they need Tomari to be Drive to fight in the past. I do like that they gave Drive a different form since it was upgraded after Proto-Drive's defeat in the Global Freeze.

When Heart, Brain, and Medic show up, I thought that Medic should have been wearing her white dress since it would have been opposite to her normal black outfit.

I don't really like Leonard da Vinci's Ganma form at all. I get the extra arms but having two of them not moved at all is jarring. I don't even recall if they used CG to move them at all. That beard is what kills the design for me. Again I understand why but I would rather have a non-plastic beard than that plastic one.

Speaking of da Vinci, I swear Japan makes him a crazy man with desires to change the world because he's better than you in every way.

I really don't like Honganji's "death" being played as a joke. He is a joke character most of the time but he shouldn't deserved to be treated like that.

What's up with the quick ends to the battles in this movie or rather when Go and Makato are fighting the Roidmudes and Ganma? I don't really like that at all. At least show them escaping or something not just "battle is too tough and next scene is them back at the temple perfectly fine."

I find it funny that Chase gives a better reason why the Eyecons act the way they do than the actual series does.

Takuru's father needs no belt. He can kill Ganma with a handaxe and open up portals of time. Also he can screw the rules of resurrection all without no belt.

No one knows why Takuru rides a giant iguana, he just does.

I did like the part when Akari uses the Revealing Fire to reveal the Ganma when all four Riders were in a line.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Is it me or are their no seeds for the HD torrent?
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

HowlingSnail wrote:Is it me or are their no seeds for the HD torrent?
It's not just you. There are no seeds for the HD torrent.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

I may have fallen asleep at about 45 minutes in. Which may just be me getting old. But I think Takenoko hit the nail on the head that large segments of this movie are boring. Not offensive or bad (though I do hate the kids), but just boring.

Aww, a Drive wedding. :D It was sort of obvious that they'd do something like this given how the series proper ended, but it's still fun to see. In fact let's just cut out all the movie bits that aren't about Shinnouske...

Though what is it with dead (or deadbeat) dads in Toku? I'm trying to think of the last series that had a dad that was at least ambiguously alive, and I think I'm ending up at OOO.

Also, the lack of continuity with Ghost Dad's death is annoying. He didn't die in an underground lair, he died in the hills. The movie even showed this as a flashback, and the series has never shown anything but this. The movies are practically non-canonical anyhow, but that's kind of a big deal...

Takeru: You yelled at a kid, you asshole. Also, show some respect and wear a damn suit to a wedding!

Oh hey, random CGI monster. Well at least the CGI has gotten better over the years. It still looks face, but the animation, texture quality, and lighting are all better than the Toei norm. However the post team was asleep at the wheel; at two points they overdo the post-process camera shake and run out of image, resulting in there being a white line at the top of the frame.

Finally: Leonardo, Raphael, and Michelangelo. Where the heck was Donatello? :P
Phoenix512 wrote:I do like the idea of the Kamen Rider version of the Super Sentai VS instead of the three act system of One Rider, Two Rider, and One/Two Riders that started way back in the Decade/W days. But it didn't do it right as take said with it's a Ghost movie with Drive characters. You can take out the Drive characters and replace them with a bunch of nobodies just for this movie and nothing would have changed.
Ditto. The three act setup was extremely constraining - each story had to wrap up in about 25 minutes - but it also required increasingly convoluted reasons for the the Big Bad to be harassing both riders. A single movie doesn't avoid that last part, but it makes it easier to work with. And while I'm more fond of the Drive cast than the Ghost cast, if this is what it takes to avoid doing a three act movie, I'm okay with it being a Ghost movie.
I really wish that they could have come up with a better reason of why Belt-san was hanging out near the temple in the past or any reason at all for that matter. It was just lazy writing because they need Tomari to be Drive to fight in the past. I do like that they gave Drive a different form since it was upgraded after Proto-Drive's defeat in the Global Freeze.
I kept waiting for that to be explained. That was a stupidly massive plot hole; it's not like Steinbelt can just wander around on his own.
When Heart, Brain, and Medic show up, I thought that Medic should have been wearing her white dress since it would have been opposite to her normal black outfit.
But then it would have broken the whole emo/seriously evil thing the Roidmude had going on for all of 15 seconds. :lol:
I don't really like Leonard da Vinci's Ganma form at all. I get the extra arms but having two of them not moved at all is jarring. I don't even recall if they used CG to move them at all. That beard is what kills the design for me. Again I understand why but I would rather have a non-plastic beard than that plastic one.
Agreed. It's like they threw everything Da Vinci was known for into a blender and used it all as elements in his design. It looks terrible, and Vitruvian Man is a lousy design to base a monster off of for exactly the multi-arm reason.
I really don't like Honganji's "death" being played as a joke. He is a joke character most of the time but he shouldn't deserved to be treated like that.
Also ditto. And the fact that they played it so seriously only to then jump into a joke is especially jarring. That whole section with him doing imitations was completely out of left field, as if someone decides the movie needed an intermission.
What's up with the quick ends to the battles in this movie or rather when Go and Makato are fighting the Roidmudes and Ganma? I don't really like that at all. At least show them escaping or something not just "battle is too tough and next scene is them back at the temple perfectly fine."
Okay, so I wasn't the only one that noticed that. I suspect if they ever did a DC, we'd find our answer. Something must have been cut.
Takuru's father needs no belt. He can kill Ganma with a handaxe and open up portals of time. Also he can screw the rules of resurrection all without no belt.
Seriously, why is Ghost Dad so damn powerful? It makes no sense that he can open wormholes at will; even Takeru can't do that, and he's God-tier these days.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Though what is it with dead (or deadbeat) dads in Toku? I'm trying to think of the last series that had a dad that was at least ambiguously alive, and I think I'm ending up at OOO.

I didn't think he was a deadbeat, but then again, I think I appreciate tough dads more than westernized folks.

>Ditto. The three act setup was extremely constraining

I think I would have rather had a proper end to Drive than having all that shoved into Ghost's story as random side bits that didn't connect. None of the Drive cast were used well in the story at all.

>Seriously, why is Ghost Dad so damn powerful? It makes no sense that he can open wormholes at will; even Takeru can't do that, and he's God-tier these days.

Plots???
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:>Though what is it with dead (or deadbeat) dads in Toku? I'm trying to think of the last series that had a dad that was at least ambiguously alive, and I think I'm ending up at OOO.

I didn't think he was a deadbeat, but then again, I think I appreciate tough dads more than westernized folks.
Ghost Dad wasn't a deadbeat; he was good until he ended up dead. But I'm thinking about Makoto's dad here. Fathers tend to end up not just present, but not present under very extreme circumstances.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Lots of wasted potential with the returning Drive characters indeed. The Roidmude quartet ended up being glorified cameos of the actors and suits.
What has more holes? The continuity or the plot? Both are practically fishnet. To touch on some things not already mentioned, how did all the stuff Krim sealed with himself leak out for Chase and Go to use. Granted, some might have been reconstructed by Harley, but not all. Why did Kamen Rider Ghost stay visible in the opening fight without conscious effort from Takeru, the Spider Lantern or Shiranui? Why did Drive and Ghost return to their powered-up forms after having reverted to normal while finishing off Leonardo?
On the plus side: Yay for red Proto-Drive. Honganji's meeting with Sennin was great. Not the dialog with all those references, though. Great to see Ryu in action. Loved the interaction between Takeru and Takeru.
Neutral: Did young Takeru channel Takaharu with his "burning" shout? Sounded like a mix of Ghost's catchphrase and Akaninger's once-an-episode shout to me.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Fat D wrote:Why did Drive and Ghost return to their powered-up forms after having reverted to normal while finishing off Leonardo?
What time index is this? I don't recall them leaving Boost/Tridoran form at any point during that fight.
gourdcaptain
Favorite series: Ryuki
Favorite Actor?: Shu Watanabe

Post by gourdcaptain »

I'll probably throw a larger comment in after I sleep, but what were Gou and Makoto expecting when they tried to use the two eyecons in the fight against the resurrected Roidmudes? Makoto had a Gamma Eyecon that won't fit in his belt I think and has no trigger button, and Gou flat out shouldn't be able to use an Eyecon with his belt! And then they just get used by the villain, making them pointless to send forward along with the whole "Only they can defeat Leonardo thing".

Also, the villain spent ten years sitting around instead of starting his plan when neither was a Rider so he could troll them, I guess. Although my friends got a huge kick out of Inexplicable Nearly Boost Dad form. Que jokes it gives the power of dad jokes.

Overall, rated this a one, but I don't like Drive or recent Ghost, so I mostly watched it hoping it would be like pre -Infinity ghost.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

Horrendous. This film is absolutely horrendous. Not only they made a mess with Drive's story, but they butchered it. Honestly, I would have preferred if they stick to the three act setup than this mashed up mess. So many jarring plot holes I've lost count...

- How the hell do you make phone calls across time again?
- So by just being in the past gives a butterfly effect? What about all those time travelling Riders over the years?
- How on earth did Belt-san ended up nearby the temple? For what reason?

*** The biggest plot hole concerning Drive***

Let me get this straight. The form Tomari tapped into with the past Belt-san is an upgraded Proto-Drive. But that form shouldn't have existed back then, for this is 10 years ago in the past. Global Freeze took place a year before Drive, where Chase's Proto-Drive was defeated. This is so freaking stupid.

- Why is Chase the only one returning from the time distortion but retained all of his past memories? Why didn't his personality changed like the other Roidmudes?
- Heart, Brain and Medic felt nothing more than cameos. Which is a waste since they managed to get the actors back.
- Makato, Go and Chase went to face off the Roidmudes and Da Vinci TWICE and then pops back at the temple without resoluting the fight or being shown why. Dafuq?
- Did Takeru's dad died differently because of Takeru's intervention? Is that why he died in an underground lair rather than on a hill?
- They sent the eyecons to the future to do exactly what?
- Belt-san locked away all the gadgets underground of the Drive Pit in Drive's finale, and then magically appears nearby the temple? What? If Belt-san's still going to appear everytime Shinnosuke calls for him, then why bother hiding?
-Honganji have proved himself to be reliable and relatably wise towards the latter part of Drive. Now he's back to being a complete idiot again. His scene with Sennin makes me go wtfisthisshitimwatching.
- Kanon is jarringly missing.
- Shouldn't this take place after Kanon was rescued? With Makoto being buddies with Takeru and the rest. If so, WHY IS SAIONJI STILL ALIVE?
- Alain's cameo as Nekrom is weird too. He attained Nekrom on episode 15, which should be after the events of the film.

This film is such a complete clusterfuck I almost couldn't bring myself to finish it. I wanted to pretend Drive's part in this film didn't exist, but then Shinnosuke and Kiriko got married so I can't :(

Two best moments in this film for me is Kiriko kicking ass (I missed how badass she is) and Belt-san going "HAPPY MARRIAGE" during the finisher (I LOL-ed at that).

Kiriko needs a film of her own.

Rating: 1/5
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

darkmage02 wrote: -Honganji have proved himself to be reliable and relatably wise towards the latter part of Drive. Now he's back to being a complete idiot again. His scene with Sennin makes me go wtfisthisshitimwatching.
I forgot to post about this. Honganji's actor is actually quite famous in Japan and so this part was mostly for the adults, with "monomane" (imitation) gags and industry in-jokes that make pretty much no sense unless you're super up-to-date on your old Japanese media. I am not, so I kinda sorta got a couple gags but if you have to explain the joke, it's not funny.

To me this is the most grievous problem with the movie because this scene lasts for 4-5 minutes and it's just *there*, not moving the plot along and not interesting its main audience (i.e. the kiddies). Seriously should have been cut out.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

ViRGE wrote:
Fat D wrote:Why did Drive and Ghost return to their powered-up forms after having reverted to normal while finishing off Leonardo?
What time index is this? I don't recall them leaving Boost/Tridoran form at any point during that fight.
My bad. A mix of the movie driving me sleepy and compression artifacts on the SD version caused me to misread the suits during the explosion. Yeah, they did not actually power down, my bad.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

darkmage02 wrote: - Kanon is jarringly missing.
- Shouldn't this take place after Kanon was rescued? With Makoto being buddies with Takeru and the rest. If so, WHY IS SAIONJI STILL ALIVE?
This takes place between episodes 9 and 10. Kanon doesn't get restored (and Saionji killed) until episode 11.
- Alain's cameo as Nekrom is weird too. He attained Nekrom on episode 15, which should be after the events of the film.
New rider teaser is a new rider teaser. Part of the job of the movie in recent years has been to tease both the second (well in this case, third) rider and the next power-up for the main rider. It's fan service, and it will happen whether it makes logical sense or not.
darkmage02
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Ryuki
Dreamy: Miu from Fourze
Favorite Band: The GazettE
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: DIGIMON!
Quote: I devour your dreams as I watch you despair.

Post by darkmage02 »

ViRGE wrote:This takes place between episodes 9 and 10. Kanon doesn't get restored (and Saionji killed) until episode 11.
Officially, it's to take place between episodes 9 and 10. But plot wise it's messed up since Makoto is shown to have joined up with Team Ghost, despite that not happening prior to Kanon's revival.

On a separate note, Takeru's dad has got to be the most powerful non-powered human in KR history. Being able to chop down Gamma with just an axe and opening up wormholes with just the flick of his arm. Dafuq do we even need the Riders if he's still alive lel
Complete. Start Up. 3. 2. 1. Time Out. Reformation.

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”