Similarities between Ghost and Kyouryuuger?

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Similarities between Ghost and Kyouryuuger?

Post by njb »

I think that like Kyouryuuger, Ghost hasn't been well received for the same reasons:
  1. The opening few episodes were set on fast-forward. There was completely no pacing in the story.
  2. The suits were more colorful than average (especially Carnival). Opponents look more cartoon-y too.
  3. Many arcs were introduced here and there, leading to many dangling strings that are often not properly closed.
  4. Character development was either rushed or non-existent (except for Alain, I guess).
  5. The most important one: suits keep on getting reused. Some kaijin keep on reviving and simply refuse to die.
Are my observations correct? Did I miss anything?
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Similarities between Ghost and Kyouryuuger?

Post by takenoko »

I don't know, since I haven't seen Ghost. But I must have gone against the grain with Kyou, since I really enjoyed that series.

Just going off poll data, it doesn't seem like Kyou was that bad. It's lower than other Sentai series, but it's still higher than Bouken and Toqger, which were both good series in their own rights:

Boukenger 4.09 (44 votes July 22, 2015)
Go-Onger 3.7 (46 votes July 10, 2015)
Go-Busters 4.08 (63 votes August 18, 2015)
Kyouryuuger 4.02 (48 votes August 18, 2015)
Toqger 3.59 (58 votes August 18, 2015)
Ninninger 2.82 (68 votes as of February 17, 2016)
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

it's okay Take, I really liked Kyou as well. I liked Kyou's energy, perkiness, and good use of characters to build dynamics even as they expanded the cast... ... you know... outside of Pink for the most part... Though that's more a problem that shows up a lot in Toku shows if the writer isn't careful. And that's a difference between Kamen Rider shows and Super Sentai, least from where I sit. Sentai Shows, you do not need every character to have a full individual arc to make each one a fully fleshed out character on their own. While one or more character, often times the leader and additional rangers, can have more development or focus but the importance is more how the characters play off between each other.

A Rider show however, your characters need to be fleshed out, get arcs, and be more complex, because that Rider, or those two rival Riders, are going to be a bigger part of the show's focus. A goos sentai is rarely going to be 'Red Ranger and those others who put up with him', as everyone complained about Ninninger. And while some title Kamen Riders do not do as much to have THE central narrative or arc, you are more likely to find that, in a good Rider show, they at least influence or direct them (See Kabuto or Hibiki).

My point, in relation to the question of similarities between Ghost and Kyou, is that what makes one show bad, will not always be what makes another bad as well. That is, of course, leaving out how I disagree with the charges on the pases of Kyou had me happy, excited, and laughing along with Kyou, where as Ghost makes me want to take a power drill to my temple just to reveal the pressure of the rage that builds up against it.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Kogashi wrote:A goos sentai is rarely going to be 'Red Ranger and those others who put up with him', as everyone complained about Ninninger.
Eh, every Sentai is that, though. It just felt dumb in Ninninger because of how generic everything came off but, Red's still the key star in Sentai and that hasn't changed.
Kogashi wrote:where as Ghost makes me want to take a power drill to my temple just to reveal the pressure of the rage that builds up against it.
To be fair, you know you can stop watching shows right? =V I mean in the end, this is just my 2cents there, is all.. but just getting at that if Ghost annoys you that much, then it might help to stop and come back next year (then again, Ghost's almost over so maybe this won't help as much; I dunno).
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Kyouryger was well received though. It went back to being more traditional than Go-busters and was paired alongside Wizard for the first half of its run.

It is easily my favourite sentai series for reasons others have mentioned. It's high energy and seems goofy, but has some real deep plot points. Sanjo's writing was tight as fuck and the fact that he did all the episodes helped. Both the heroes and the villains had great characterisation and the pacing was great. The main complaint I here is that it focuses too much on Daigo, but I feel each character has enough time to shine. I wasn't even that hyped coming into it and at then it became the highlight of the week for me. When Gaim and it were airing at the same time, that was the best SHT lineup in years.

Ghosts problem is that it is too similar to Drive, but without the well done characterisation. The extra characters in Drive were all fun and contributed in some way, and the villains had some human aspect them for the most part that made them fun. Most of Ghosts extended cast is useless and the pacing was shit in the first quarter and seems rushed now.

I'm okay with the direction sentai is going if we get series like Kyoryu. Comparing it to Ghost however I think is not correct.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
Kogashi wrote:where as Ghost makes me want to take a power drill to my temple just to reveal the pressure of the rage that builds up against it.
To be fair, you know you can stop watching shows right? =V I mean in the end, this is just my 2cents there, is all.. but just getting at that if Ghost annoys you that much, then it might help to stop and come back next year (then again, Ghost's almost over so maybe this won't help as much; I dunno).
actually no... I can't... I'm reviewing it... on my youtube channel... see link in my sig... Reading Too Much Into Things... I refuse to stop watching a show I am reviewing.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I know what you mean. I've never not watched a currently airing series that I'm not enjoying so I can form a complete opinion on it.

The thing I hate the most are people that say 'X series is shit' and admit they only watched the first 7 episodes or something.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

I dunno about similarities, but watching Kyou feels much less a chore than Ghost.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki

Post by Jehal »

Kyouryuger was fun to watch, and that's all it tried to be. There's not much more to say about it.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”