Kaigan KR Ghost 48

G-g-ghosts?!
Forum rules
Kamen Rider Ghost Wiki Link

< Drive | Ghost | Ex-Aid >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:07 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
17%
☆☆☆☆
11%
☆☆☆
28%
☆☆
22%
22%

Total votes: 18
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Kaigan KR Ghost 48

Post by Kuchiri »

gourdcaptain wrote:
Kuchiri wrote:Phillip's father cared for him. He had to attempt to defend his evil plans from W. However, Phillip dying was an accident.
I was more referring to how he treated post-revival Philip. What with sticking him in the Gaia Memory factory without a name and such.
That was more his sister's doing. I don't think the father was more interested in the money and didn't care what the sister did.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote:One can only hope (and make virgin sacrifices)
For some reason I now have this image in my head of Yurusen at the top of a volcano, throwing Toei's writers into it... :lol:
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Go-On Macaroni wrote: They were grunts who were also tossed aside by Onari and Akari, so no, not just by a "normal girl".
And besides, if Kanon didn't do anything, you guys would've griped saying she was useless and whatever; now she does stuff and it's still bad? What do you guys want from her then?
Well, Onari is supposed to be training for that, he is really mediocre, but he has some training, Akari as far as I recall was armed. But the girl Sumo slaped them and they exploded:
You know, i was never angry that Kannon did nothing, I really did not care for her at all. but I noticed that people wanted her to do more, but that is not solved by giving her totally out of character traits, if that were the case the other two guys would enter firing lasers out of their asses and that would redeem them.
njb wrote:Akari × Igor … *pukes*
Yeah,i tought the same.

It's funny but all those things could be solved really easy if they just tried:
for the weak ganma, three options: His death and ressurection gave Kanon special abilities that she never used because, well she did not knew she had them so she usually fled.
The last events made the ganma unestable, so they were as durable as a crystal figure.
Onari's rage gave him the motivation and the training on this episodes actually worked aso he was channeling his energy trough his staff so any attack on them would be proven fatal.

Akari x Igor: My idea would be somethin like:After the fight Igor appears before them, they talk a bit and before he leaves, he says goodbye to Akari, but calls her by another name. then Alain explains them that the name of that girl was Igor's Daughter/Sister who went missing and was a science freak. That way Igor loves changes from awkward romantic love to fraternal love.
Lunagel wrote:One can only hope (and make virgin sacrifices)
I don't think it will be hard, after all we are talking about the "Chinese power rangers" fandom.

I could not resist:
Dude, that is not how you are supposed to use them...Actually you are not supposed to use them at all.
Hyboran Tigersen
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: In order to protect others you must first learn to protect yourself.
Type: ISTP Crafter

Re: Kaigain KR Ghost 48

Post by Hyboran Tigersen »

Lunagel wrote:
Jesus Christ Kanon, you wanna show us that awesome power to kill baddies like 30 episodes ago? Why have you been acting the damsel in distress this whole time when you were that freaking awesome?! Can I get a character do-over please?
I know right?! I had to do a double take at that scene where she was kicking butt.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
Ashki wrote:And speaking of sexists... Adel, that nasty perv... I'm not going to even get into his creepy sister fetish or his thanking her for what he's done to her.
When did Adel ever have a thing for Aria? He only brained her because he felt she was interfering with his plans but that never seemed like he "had a thing for her"....
It's called shipping, and it's a technique very commonly used by writers in Japanese media to suggest relationships that aren't technically there. Two good examples of shipping main characters are the two overtly gay shippings found in Faiz and Tiger & Bunny. If you watch the April Fool's edition for Ghost, you'll see a more blatent example of how shipping works when translated into American terms.

And if the writers weren't trying to suggest Adel being a perv, then they really need someone to check their work... from numerous bits of dialogue to Adel deciding to give his sister an episode-long full frontal (although from Igor's snickering, Adel probably didn't have much to show her).

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
Akari, the only other female actress in the cast was a total tomboy and they WROTE her like a male. Makes me think someone with rank was being more than a litle sexist with their power.
So, it's sexist that they wanted Akari to actually be useful and help Takeru with his fighting? Wouldn't the alternative be making her more like Kanon? That prolly would've been a much blander show, imo.
Btw, don't you think it's a tad more distasteful to refer to them as furniture? "It was nice to see the furniture fighting back for once (well, MOST of the furniture anyway)"
No, it's not sexist to want Akari to be useful. As I pointed out between that sentence and the one before it, it's sexist that Aria and Kanon were treated as props, while they wrote Akari's personality in such a way that you could literally have cast a man into the role and noobody would have noticed a difference. I love it when there's a strong female character, and I honestly can't say there was one in this show, because the only thing that made the character of Akari a woman was the fact they hired an actress for the role. It's insulting that you can't have a female scientist who occasionally ACTS like a female or has even ONE feminine interest. Every other toku does this, why can't they do so for Akari too?

And before you complain, I DO like the character, but if I were to write a female character like that, I'd probably be fired without a chance for revision.

Also it's not distasteful to call a rose a rose. The writers made these poor girls into living props - furniture that gets shunted around the set by black-clad stagehands like some strange cross between a kindergarten play and noh theatre. Again, I'm saying these things not only as a major fan of tokusatsu, but also as someone who writes for a living and has some experience in theatre. Kamen Rider has a reputation for good writing (with one or two very notable exceptions), and this series was a total train wreck. Had they kept the writers under one head writer/showrunner the entire series, this wouldn't have happened. Instead, the writers kept going off on tangents and ignoring even major plot points for long periods while the head writer was away. Characters were treated as mindless props, consistency went out the window... and for someone who can't be killed (according to Sennin at the very beginning), Takeru may as well have been named Kenny.

I will always like Ghost overall for a few rare moments, but these last two series have made me seriously question the franchise's future. Thankfully, Ex-Aid looks amazing, so hopefully it'll get things back on track.

Go-On Macaroni wrote:
eijiman wrote:Good thing: Kanon does something.
Bad thing: It was something that should not have happened, if Ganma were weak enough to be 1 hit killed by a normal girl, well, they arent much o f a threat are they?
They were grunts who were also tossed aside by Onari and Akari, so no, not just by a "normal girl".
And besides, if Kanon didn't do anything, you guys would've griped saying she was useless and whatever; now she does stuff and it's still bad? What do you guys want from her then?
Lunagel pretty much said everything I would. But I will add that the only way she'd be able to disintegrate ganma like that (and be canon, pardon the pun) would be if she were possessed by a Luminary. And we only have the Ichigō movie to thank for that theory.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Ashki wrote:No, it's not sexist to want Akari to be useful. As I pointed out between that sentence and the one before it, it's sexist that Aria and Kanon were treated as props, while they wrote Akari's personality in such a way that you could literally have cast a man into the role and noobody would have noticed a difference. I love it when there's a strong female character, and I honestly can't say there was one in this show, because the only thing that made the character of Akari a woman was the fact they hired an actress for the role. It's insulting that you can't have a female scientist who occasionally ACTS like a female or has even ONE feminine interest. Every other toku does this, why can't they do so for Akari too?
I'm a bit puzzled by this. Are you saying that all female characters must have a stereotypically feminine interest in order to be considered a valid female character? Cause I mean, Furiosa didn't have act like a female or have one feminine interest and she was still a pretty kickass female character.

I don't think you can boil down female characters to "acting girly." To me that's honestly a bit of a copout. It means you couldn't think of any actual interests for the character to have and so fall back on old tropes and stereotypes. Akari is probably one of the best female characters KR has had for a while (although Kiriko is up there too) specifically because she has her own actions and interests and passions outside of the plot of the show. I don't think her character needed any changes, she's a woman and a scientist and she does what she wants to do. Sounds like a female character to me.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Off topic: Hey Ashki, could you please stop writing in purple? It's a pain in the butt to read on the forum's default dark skin.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Akari's idol singing was not girly?

And, yeah, a lot of things in Ghost were not properly set up. I would trace most of the problems of Ghost to the fact that they had only 25 arcs and tried to get you to care about 30 different characters. Even if they cut down the Luminaries down from 15 to 7 every thing would have still been really tight.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Lunagel wrote:
Ashki wrote:No, it's not sexist to want Akari to be useful. As I pointed out between that sentence and the one before it, it's sexist that Aria and Kanon were treated as props, while they wrote Akari's personality in such a way that you could literally have cast a man into the role and noobody would have noticed a difference. I love it when there's a strong female character, and I honestly can't say there was one in this show, because the only thing that made the character of Akari a woman was the fact they hired an actress for the role. It's insulting that you can't have a female scientist who occasionally ACTS like a female or has even ONE feminine interest. Every other toku does this, why can't they do so for Akari too?
I'm a bit puzzled by this. Are you saying that all female characters must have a stereotypically feminine interest in order to be considered a valid female character? Cause I mean, Furiosa didn't have act like a female or have one feminine interest and she was still a pretty kickass female character.

I don't think you can boil down female characters to "acting girly." To me that's honestly a bit of a copout. It means you couldn't think of any actual interests for the character to have and so fall back on old tropes and stereotypes. Akari is probably one of the best female characters KR has had for a while (although Kiriko is up there too) specifically because she has her own actions and interests and passions outside of the plot of the show. I don't think her character needed any changes, she's a woman and a scientist and she does what she wants to do. Sounds like a female character to me.
I wasn't talking about using stereotypes and actually find such characters to be highly obnoxious and fake. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing her turn into Donna Reed. But think about how she believes emotions (especially love) are unscientific.. except for when she suddenly started saying science was fun becaue it was plot-relevant to that two-parter. She also seemed (to me) more interested in the scientific details of the age-reversed adults than the actual danger they were in. From a purely psychological standpoint, women are far more complex than this. They have their motivations and can be single-minded, but Akari's motivations have repeatedly been explained as "This isn't scientific, so it must be fixed". While I don't doubt Akari cares about Takeru, even her desire for him to come back to life gets overshadowed by this notion of "Takeru's scientifically broken, I must make his existance scientifically explainable again".

We've had strong female roles where the character is neither Donna Reed nor a female in an otherwise macho male role. In fact, we had two "recent" examples of how Akari could've been a more rounded character with supporting female roles from in OOO (just replace the makeup/costume time with an unsolved equation) and Gaim. She doesn't have to wear a dress or bake cookies to be feminine, and honestly, female stereotypes like that haven't been even close to accurate for decades now for the average woman.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

ashiki wrote:But think about how she believes emotions (especially love) are unscientific.. except for when she suddenly started saying science was fun becaue it was plot-relevant to that two-parter. She also seemed (to me) more interested in the scientific details of the age-reversed adults than the actual danger they were in. From a purely psychological standpoint, women are far more complex than this. They have their motivations and can be single-minded, but Akari's motivations have repeatedly been explained as "This isn't scientific, so it must be fixed". While I don't doubt Akari cares about Takeru, even her desire for him to come back to life gets overshadowed by this notion of "Takeru's scientifically broken, I must make his existance scientifically explainable again".
Still seems like a okay female character to me. I don't think it's wrong to have her character focused more on the scientific aspect of the problems, it makes sense since that's her passion in life. I still don't see how this makes her unfeminine in your mind.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Lunagel wrote:
ashiki wrote:But think about how she believes emotions (especially love) are unscientific.. except for when she suddenly started saying science was fun becaue it was plot-relevant to that two-parter. She also seemed (to me) more interested in the scientific details of the age-reversed adults than the actual danger they were in. From a purely psychological standpoint, women are far more complex than this. They have their motivations and can be single-minded, but Akari's motivations have repeatedly been explained as "This isn't scientific, so it must be fixed". While I don't doubt Akari cares about Takeru, even her desire for him to come back to life gets overshadowed by this notion of "Takeru's scientifically broken, I must make his existance scientifically explainable again".
Still seems like a okay female character to me. I don't think it's wrong to have her character focused more on the scientific aspect of the problems, it makes sense since that's her passion in life. I still don't see how this makes her unfeminine in your mind.
Actually, It kinda does. she is a two-dimensional character, she could easily be replaced by a man without many changes. They never cared to give her any life beyond her obsession with science.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

By that logic, can't we replace Narita and Shibuya with women? I don't see how two-dimensional character=male.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Lunagel wrote:By that logic, can't we replace Narita and Shibuya with women? I don't see how two-dimensional character=male.
I don't mean two-dimensional = male but two-dimensional = who cares?

So yeah, I think it is possible to do that change, because their lack of depth takes away things as gender, age, and many others. Except for certain moments Shibuya and Morita could be played by some old ladies, and they would pretty much be the same.
PkmnChmp5
Go Go!
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
Quote: "I can think of no sadder creature in this world than a man unable to inspire a little jealousy. Eh, Tiz?" - Ringabel (Bravely Default)

Post by PkmnChmp5 »

This show... I just... I don't even... ugh....

Takeru: "There is no parent who does not think of their child."
Banno (to his son): "Out of all the things I created, you were my biggest failure." (That quote's from memory, but it's something close to that)

Adel: "You two... will forgive me for everything I've done?"
Aria: "There is nothing to forgive."
How about him killing your dad, him killing Takeru's dad, him brainwashing you, him trying to kill your brother, him attempting to um.. absorb everyone's souls.. & take over the world... or become the world... or whatever he was trying to do. All of which he did because he thought "daddy doesn't love me" even though he did.

Plus Takeru going back & forth between "I want to save Adel" & "I'll never forgive you" the whole time just to end up "saving" him & then killing him 5 minutes later.

During the Makoto "death" scene, I didn't even know if the one that was hurt was the real one or the doppelganger until the end. I would say that's what killed the emotion of that scene for me, but that implies that I cared about either Makoto to begin with, which I don't. I wish he did die just so Kanon would stop saying "Oniichan" every 5 damn seconds.

Every character in this show is stupid & awful. It's times like this I wish Kamen Rider was adapted into an English show like Super Sentai is, just so these amazing suits could have another chance at being in a good show.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

PkmnChmp5 wrote:Takeru: "There is no parent who does not think of their child."
Banno (to his son): "Out of all the things I created, you were my biggest failure." (That quote's from memory, but it's something close to that)
That'd imply Toei cares about inter-series continuity. :V

Return to “Kamen Rider Ghost”