Jyuohger 01 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:59 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
63%
☆☆☆☆
30%
☆☆☆
2%
☆☆
2%
2%

Total votes: 46
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 01 released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki Article
Next Ep>

Last Ninnin rating: 3.06 / 5 (16 votes)

I thought the cube thing would be more annoying, but aside from the weapons, they're not too bad. I also liked the Origami from Shinkenger, and these kind of remind me of those. The three cube combination reminds me of Engine-O.

I'm having a little trouble figuring out the theming of the bad guys. Their ship is a giant bow. I guess they're kind of like poacher/game hunters? There's also a coin theme. And the monster of the weeks look like they're called Players?

If that's the case, then I'm guessing their group name is a combination of Death and Carrion, making it DeathGarrion? Carrion Crow (カリアンクロウ) matches with the latter part of DeathGarrion (デスガリアン ).

I already like this year's red. He's a bit too goofy at times, but he seems earnest. The only thing that makes me sad is that his animal transformation is into a bird and not a monkey. It's the year of the monkey! Humans are animals too!

The music is pretty good.

Too many horse heads.

What's the deal with the shadowy guy? That's intriguing. It's like AkaRed showing up in Marvelous' backstory.

Red's got a trick weapon.

Boo, the lady commander's only role is to make the monster grow again? Oh, maybe the bad guys are Greeeds.

I miss green being weird greens. Now green is aloof green.

Looking forward to seeing how the Jyuman act like fish out of water in the human world. Oh yeah, no Z anywhere in thee episode, sorry!

Dance, dance!
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: Jyuohger 01 released

Post by Slowking »

Great start for the new show.

All of the characters have something interesting going on about them and while Red is the only human in the team, he does not steal the spotlight (but is still very enjoyable). Red does remind me of Kai from Magiranger.

Sera is pretty.

The mysterious Jyuman is an eagle... does that mean he will come back to claim Red's position?

I like the explanation of why they were not able to travel to the human world... and I also like how they no longer can go back. The Jyuman world seems interesting, I wish we see more of it in the future.

Six cubes... the sixth one will belong to an extra hero in the future? Why did the mysterious guy get it, preventing them from returning?

Green commander is like having Insaarn from Gokaiger being revived. The rest of the DeathGallians seem interesting, but their spaceship steals the spotlight! Oh and the continue coin of course...

Great fight scenes, I love the additional animal parts, especially Eagle's wings. Jetman~

Eagle's sword is great, reminds me of similar weapons used in Kiva. Will the others have personal weapons? Hopefully yes, as the shot they are using is not impressive.

Jyouohking looks better in action and I like its cube controls. Battle effects and the way the scene was shot do remind me of older sentai mecha fights. Nostalgic for sure.

Of course you wouldn't let us down with the music Toei. Some excellent soundtrack music and the opening is fantastic too.

Next:
Spoiler
Grumpy green!
Behold the Emperor!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Well I enjoyed that a lot. I got actual goosebumps during the op theme, which hasn't happened in a while.

This only reinforces my theory that they have an off year before the anniversary year to save money because this is already miles above Ninninger. I don't hate the Red for one...
Slyder5597
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Gaim/Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: W/Kyoryuger
My boom: Toku
Quote: I'm just a passing through Kamen Rider
-Kamen Rider Decade

Post by Slyder5597 »

4/5 Needs more cubes.

Although in all honesty, I loved this episode. (since you can't see who voted for what, I'll tell you that I actually voted 5 stars). The simplicity of the designs has been one of my favorite things about this show since we first saw their designs, and the show itself followed the simplicity of the designs with a very simple plot: "We want to destroy the Earth. Why? Why not?", and so the Rangers (or whatever you want to call them) have to protect the earth. Can't get much simpler than that. Also, it is immediately apparent that this red is a big improvement over Takaharu and didn't even say "I'm getting fired up!" once.

For my closing remark: Minecraft. That is all.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote: If that's the case, then I'm guessing their group name is a combination of Death and Carrion, making it DeathGarrion? Carrion Crow (カリアンクロウ) matches with the latter part of DeathGarrion (デスガリアン ).
Possibly Death Game Aliens?
Behold the Emperor!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

So somehow an elephant is the monarch of the forests? It's not the first thing I would think of an elephant being in. I rather have a bear in the spot for the forest than an elephant.

It's a good start for sure.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

It seems to me that the villains are based around the theme of video games. Jagged says "Game Over" when he attempts to finish them off. The use of coins to grow big references arcades since turning giant is called a "Continue". I wonder if they will make use of video game tropes in their battle plans.

Each team member seems to have a designated number like the sides of a die. The team might be restricted to 6 members since a cube/die only has 6 faces.

The little sparkles before Red used his beast power made it look like his armpit hair turned into feathers. The beast powers for Yellow and White are too similar to be interesting. Did they really have to have 2 felines on the team?

Yamato's speech about protecting the forest and all life on Earth was hamstrung by the goofy moment of "squealing" rabbits running down a "burning" hill.

Overall, the episode was rough around the edges but fun and engaging.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>It seems to me that the villains are based around the theme of video games.

I think it's just games in general. When we did the group watch, someone pointed out that there's a roulette table in the middle of their arrow ship.

>Each team member seems to have a designated number like the sides of a die. The team might be restricted to 6 members since a cube/die only has 6 faces.

They are? I didn't notice any numeral designation. Where did you see that?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's most noticeable when they combined their mecha for the numbers.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, you mean for the Jyuohgers. For some reason I read that as for being the villain thing, since games. Huh, do they still do that ranger card game? Seems like the dice theme would slot in perfectly there.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

This was such a breath of fresh air. I really enjoyed the episode, and have reasonably high hopes for the series. I think this is the quickest I’ve liked our main cast since Gokaiger. Yamato is pretty level-headed for a Red, but has that curiosity and lack of impulse control (manifesting in an inability to let others fight his battles for him) that can get him into trouble. Leo cracks me up with his roaring and referring to Yamato as “Human”. I hope they keep that gag up for a while. Tusk is the quiet, stubborn one, at least for now. Sela initially struck me as a serious/somewhat aloof type character a la Boukenger's Sakura, although the ending song describing Shark as “easygoing” threw me for a loop. Amu is the cute girl - every sentai team has one - but she doesn’t seem air-headed. In fact, that’s probably why I like everyone so much - despite the quirks we’ve seen, they all come off as pretty mature. It’s implied (if not outright stated) that the quartet of Zyumans have been training as guardians of the Link Cube for a while, so it makes sense that they’re able to adapt pretty quickly.

The villains seem pretty straightforward at this point - a group of hunters who like to kill things. Sometimes, the simplest motivations are the best. I expect we’ll get something more complex before the end of the series, but it’s fine for now.

About the costuming - I love the Zyuman costumes. The heads look fantastic (that goes for all the extras as well), and I like the colorful patterns of their clothing as well. The transformed suits have already grown on me a lot. It always helps to see them in motion. The suit that’s most insane? Genis. I have no idea what he’s supposed to be, but he looks like two suits smashed into one.

I was ambivalent about the music at first, but I was completely sold on the opening theme by the time it played in the background during Eagle’s first fight. That yodeling makes me laugh every time I hear it. It’s definitely appropriate for the series, but there’s something silly about it nonetheless.

The mecha having the option of attacking an enemy in their cube form is awesome. That, and the way they can turn into their animal form even when they miniature-sized, is very reminiscent of the Shinkenger Origami, which were adorable.

Some other random notes:
-Loved the 40th Series logo, with all the Reds briefly appearing in the cube. It’ll probably stay like that all year, but I’d love to see them change things up by swapping different colors in every week.
-Pretty sure that’s Eagle who picked up Cube 6 - looked like the same talons as the guy who gave Yamato the cube as a child. We haven’t seen anything about Yamato’s family. Crazy episode one theory - Eagle Zyuman is Yamato’s dad, which is why he can use the cube.
-The mooks can fly? With jetpacks?! I can’t think of the last time sentai grunts could fly without a vehicle. Very cool.
Cthulhu
Infinity
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Quote: Go over time and space

Post by Cthulhu »

Wasn't expecting this , haven't been this hyped for a episode one since Shinkenger :shock:

takenoko wrote:
Red's got a trick weapon.
Thats soooo the Threaded Cane move set , unless it splits in pieces andgoes homming for the enemt then is Ivy
Phoenix512 wrote:So somehow an elephant is the monarch of the forests? It's not the first thing I would think of an elephant being in. I rather have a bear in the spot for the forest than an elephant.

It's a good start for sure.
Was tinking on a bear as well , but i guess they can't call kim king of the jungle cuz gorilas

PS: I want those mecha cubes sooo much , gg Toey thats gonna sell like crazy
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Hah, glad you're into Bloodborne too Cthulhu. It's amazingly Lovecraftian.
Sefiros
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade
Dreamy: Coto Pablo
Favorite Actor?: Kevin Sorbo
Favorite Band: Various
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Henshin
Quote: "Life must be experienced, not taught."

Post by Sefiros »

The Jetfusion entertainment website call this series Zyuohger instead of Jyuohger, as well as RangerWiki, the wiki dedicated to both Power Rangers and Super Sentai. I'm just wondering why TV-Nihon choe to go with Jyuohger.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I just feel like ignoring the official spelling because the J makes more sense. The z is confusing to people who think it's supposed to sound like zoo ranger.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”