Jyuohger 01 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:59 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
63%
☆☆☆☆
30%
☆☆☆
2%
☆☆
2%
2%

Total votes: 46
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Jyuohger 01 released

Post by ViRGE »

Technical note: is it me or is the HD encode out of sync by around 200ms by the end? It's especially noticeable when the 5 humans are talking.

40 some-odd comments in so I'm a bit late to the party, but overall that wasn't bad. Not 5 star material, but I'm looking forward to next week. Which is more than I could say about NInninger.

Though the whole cube and number thing isn't working for me so far. I didn't care for the Shinkenger origami, and since these are all cubes, it's even worse. Everything is so blocky. :( And I'm just waiting for a voice to pop up telling me this episode was sponsored by the number Q.

The prop/toy team managed to get me though on the Mark of the King. When they first showed the cubes thought to myself "Hey, for once it's not a cell phone!" Only to be proven wrong a couple of seconds later. :lol:

On theming, I'm surprised no one has called out that the mentor this year is going to be named Mario. With all of the other video game elements, that one is not especially subtle. Though I wish Toei would stop mixing in so many themes into one show. If they want to do a video game Sentai, they should just do a video game Sentai. We've got three different themes going on right now: video games, animals, and hunting. It's all a bit incoherent.

Side note: I'm impressed/worried by the amount of real fire they used in this episode. That fiery explosion when the villains first attack is pretty dang close to the kids.
Rifaz wrote:Wow, they sure don't wait around for this season, kinda reminds me of Gokaiger first episode.
I do wish they'd slow down a bit. Do we really need the mechs in the very first episode? It seems like sentai is so front-loaded these days to get the toys out ASAP.
takenoko wrote:I dunno if I count Jagd as a commander. He's not even listed on the character page. He's pretty much just a monster of the week.
He's in the group shot of the villains in the intro, so normally I'd assume he's a commander as well. However I think it's more likely that they're going to have a new/modified intro next week, if only to incorporate the actors for the four Jyumans.
takenoko wrote:I'm having a little trouble figuring out the theming of the bad guys. Their ship is a giant bow. I guess they're kind of like poacher/game hunters?
This may be a stretch, but I got a pretty solid The Most Dangerous Game vibe from the villains. They're not just hunters, they're hunting sentient life for the challenge.
takenoko wrote:Oh yeah, the narrator/toys are voiced by Shitari from Shinken's actor, Cho. Try to unhear squidface when the voices talk now!
Thanks alot. Now my head is full of squid. :shock:

Finally, I know Japan doesn't have quite the same social standards for dental care and teeth, but Yanagi Miki's (Sela's) teeth may very well be the most crooked I've ever seen for a Sentai hero. It's especially noticeable since Nanba Shohei (Leo) and Nakao Masaki (Yamoto) have such nice teeth, which are shown right before Yanagi's. :(

http://i.imgur.com/NelzFWO.jpg
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

oh yeah wait .... i recall reading that ninnin coming to the US as ninjasteel, the villains were playing and intergalactic game show. so im wondering if they are taking the villains from jyuohger and giving them to ninja steel?

and yeah, i wish theyd held off on the mechs too. i started watching zyuranger and hell if ive seen daizyujin yet, and im at ep 10. then in shinkenger it wasnt until the 2nd episode that we got a gattai. now showcase all the powers and mechs on the first day!
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

midorininger wrote:i started watching zyuranger and hell if ive seen daizyujin yet, and im at ep 10.
Daizyujin debuts on episode 6, though. :?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>Technical note: is it me or is the HD encode out of sync by around 200ms by the end? It's especially noticeable when the 5 humans are talking.

Hmmm, I can try to double check that. We had trouble earlier this week when we improperly deinterlaced the episode, but thought we fixed the raws before it came out.

>On theming, I'm surprised no one has called out that the mentor this year is going to be named Mario.

Oh wow. The cynical side of me is very much: "Toei: Hmmmm, these kids sure seem to be into these video games. I wonder how we can capitalize on that."
Also, it's funny to me that Mario is a Japanese name. I think even some girls have it.
lostinbrave
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by lostinbrave »

I thought it was interesting that they used a portmanteau of Jagged and Jagen (german for to hunt, Jäger is hunter) for the villain. (at-least that's what I am assuming they did)
The amoeba based foot soldiers is really interesting too.
ImageImage
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Apparently it's from Middle High German?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jagd

After I learned this, I looked up the word "hunt" in a bunch of other languages, and there's a few other languages which has a word similar to Jagd too.
Monsoon
Gao
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: HOTS
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Monsoon »

I love the "beast unleashed" attacks on foot and thought that Zyuoh Eagle's whip sword was pretty dope. I hope the other four get similar unique weapons, too.

Overall I thought it was a really, really strong start. They fit a LOT of stuff into this episode and it was handled pretty well!
Can't Stop the Monsoon - a blog mostly about video games, now featuring occasional Super Sentai reviews! Latest tokusatsu piece is my top ten Super Sentai series.
PTM966666
Adventure
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Dreamy: Mikie Hara
Favorite Actor?: Tom Hanks
Favorite Band: Coldrain
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by PTM966666 »

somehow Naria's head design reminds me of Akiba Yellow :P
4BlueRider
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: Showtime!
Type: INFP Healer

Post by 4BlueRider »

I like this new Sentai. To me it seems very unconventional and different. The animal themed Sentai like Gaoranger, Gekiranger and the V-cinema Go-Busters always have a fun factor to them that just draws me to them. The Jyuohger kinda of have a sambaness feel to them like the Kyouryugers. There are cubes everywhere. The ending dance has got to be my all time new favorite!
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Lets see if i would have complain about the show (which I enjoyed the first episode by the way more than ninninjer);

1) the connection between villians and heroes noexistant. Now if this was a sentai that was around for a while like Goseigers or Boukengers it would be a different story coincidently as far as i can remember any sentai that was fighting with an enemy they first met were fighting more than one enemy group and they were around for a while but i can go back to dekarangers at best and even than i can't remember all of the pots out of blue. This is still first episode anyway who knows we might have a goseiger type situation that we will see different type of enemies as the series progress. (one thing suggest this might be case is we saw first MOTW together with all the main villians and he seems to be part of top echolon of villians)

2) a Human who shares ancestral with apes getting eagle. Now this is probably done to give red an edge sicne flying is one of the coolest and useful ability to have still I agree with Takeneko this is monkey year dammit :P If it was an ape he could get increased arm muscles as weapon and it would be interesting to see.

3) Choices of animas. Now don't get me wrong i liked shark (but i think a dolphin would be better for a sea king since dolphins are both smarter and one of the few sea creatures that can make sharks escape and leave the prey), elephant also makes some sense since it is the largest land creature though a rhino would be a fresh choice. Now for lion and tiger........why two big cat? Ok Lion make sense for plains and such since it is also considered king symbol but a snow or syberian tiger does not really makes sense if anything it should be a polar bear that is representing an arctic environment. This also reduces the variation of power ups two of the five gets claws if it was at least a deer or another animal with horn there would be at least some differences between yellow and white.

4) Those cube weapons sword mode..........just no

5) This is related with 1st point but those cubes stole the limelight. I would prefer jyuman were fighting in their normal state before since they have animal themes they shouldn't be that weak without cubes and they look like guardians so they have some fighting experience anyway but cubes just stole that part and cubes seems to be leading the sentai to do things like 'do this now do that now' ofcourse some sentai are like this but still it looked odd to me for some reason i can't really say properly in this sentai.

6) Lion cube..........That just didn't fit well with me others are ok and like Takeneko i liked origami ones too so this was a refreshing nostalgia but that lion cube just didnt cut it out.

Overall this is still a 4 or 5 from me. I liked opening, Villians seems interesting for the moment especially arcade-like theme was interesting (it also reminds me 000 which is a nice nostalgia) Red looks interesting one (or maybe a little cliche King type still way better than akaja :P) Especially red's weapon is one of my favorites a serpent sword I was wondering when they were going to use one in a sentai or kamen rider. The referance to native american animal pole was also a thumb up.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

ViRGE wrote: Finally, I know Japan doesn't have quite the same social standards for dental care and teeth, but Yanagi Miki's (Sela's) teeth may very well be the most crooked I've ever seen for a Sentai hero. It's especially noticeable since Nanba Shohei (Leo) and Nakao Masaki (Yamoto) have such nice teeth, which are shown right before Yanagi's. :(

http://i.imgur.com/NelzFWO.jpg
It's called "yaeba". Crooked teeth on girls is considered cute.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The teeth thing's never bothered me. I think it's pretty cute too. /me remembers the days of BoukenBlack
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I remember Goseiger with Alata and Moune with their crooked teeth. Japan, crooked teeth aren't supposed to be cute. Get some braces.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

The crooked teeth fad has been dying out for a while but the younger ones don't want braces while they're on screen
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

I thought this wouldbe a terrible series, especially with the whole cube gimmic, but it really works (and no sign of Picasso!). The Greeed... I mean, DeathGarrion... seem quite interesting so far. I also like how the other world contains a universal cube theme, which was enough for me to accept the cube motif of the weapons and mecha.

The battle against the d4 fighters made me want to go play AD&D...

Sera is gorgeous! Those eyes...

I'm still not sold on the printed costumes, but the helmets are really nice.

I will be spending the entire series waiting for a guest appearance from Penking and Laiking. An alien penguin would certainly make a nice 6th ranger, and they already have their rubix cube spaceship...

I loved how many little easter eggs there were referencing older Super Sentai. Has anyone tried compiling a list? There seemed to be more references crammed into this one episode than half of AkibaRanger. Sera's head and JyuuEagle's wings seemed modelled after Sun Vulcan and Jetman, which especially made me happy.

The Shinkenger origami-style sentient mini-mecha will likely make for several cute moments. And speaking of Shinkenger (and MagiYellow and KyuuryuuBlack), I like how there's one member of the sentai who's reluctant to be part of the team.

My only real complaint is a frequent problem with modern toku: everyone pretty much knew how to henshin and use special skills immediately, without any instruction. At least with Kuuga, OOO, and Fourze, they had to leaarn as they went. And in many older Super Sentai, they had either been training prior or some of the team were veterans and could teach the newer members (GekiRanger, for example). But more and more, characters just magically know what to do. How did they know their henshin codes? Or how to use their weapons? On one or two occasions, they had a tiny (andI mean TINY) clue, but forthe most part, they might as well have been doing this for months already.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”