Jyuohger 17 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:55 am

☆☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆☆
53%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 17 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 4.4 / 5 (15 votes)

Sub Title - Gonna Shake You Up~ Just Play an Ace~

I was so caught up in the story about Sela trying to overcome Trumpass' interesting game that I forgot they were introducing Za World into this episode. I'm amazed Trumpass escaped (sounds like he might be a recurring villain?).

I liked how easy it was to overcome the card's powers, just by changing the symbol. Even Trumpass comments on how silly the solution was.

Speaking of which, there must be a TV trope out there for a villain that tells the good guys exactly how to defeat them.

As for JyuohTheWorld, besides his silly name, he's kind of boring? Besides his fast wolf form, what does a rhino and a croc bring to the table? A stupid tail arm? Did they pull those animals just out of their butts? How about a theme of land, sea, and air animals? Heck, if you got another flying animal, you could have aerial battles with Yamato.

In contrast, Yamato's two forms are great because they complement each other. The bird form has agility and flight. The gorilla form has strength. TheWorld's different forms didn't seem to have any noticeable advantages except for the wolf form. Anyway, he'll become weak as soon as he becomes good (TV Trope).

Good Sela episode, even if we still barely know anything about her. I'm worried the writers have no plans for her as a character other than "being uptight and angry". Even Tusk gets the occasional funny moment from time to time now. What happened to Sela's feminist slant and her rivalry with Leo? Did they just forget about that?
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Re: Jyuohger 17 released

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote:Speaking of which, there must be a TV trope out there for a villain that tells the good guys exactly how to defeat them.
I'm sure it's happened before in sentai, but what does come to mind are two similar instances:

1) Dora Sphinx vs. Daizyujin: The Zyuranger trick the Dora monster into asking them the "impossible-to-answer" riddle of "Which is your weakest spot?", they fail to answer correctly so he reveals it

2) Candelira in Kyouryuuger when she tells her movie-themed monster not to let the humans trapped in him to escape - thus in the process revealing to Nobuharu where the trapped humans were
Behold the Emperor!
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

I don't mind TheWorld so far. The suit is pretty cool. I guess officially he is a black ranger, though the silver and gold bits make it look rather cool.

Is there a reason why they haven't shown his face/human form (I don't count the end of last episode because you could barely see it). Maybe he'll transform next episode.

As for him being evil....I guess we'll wait to see if this is just for a few episodes or it would last for a long time.

I didn't give this episode a higher rating because of how it was structured. Let's have a Sela focused episode with a MOTW, then abruptly change to introducing the 6th ranger. I didn't like that too much.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, that intro felt rushed. Everything felt just too fast and without pacing to feel impactful.
Kamen Rider Ookalf
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Kamen Rider Ookalf »

takenoko wrote:I liked how easy it was to overcome the card's powers, just by changing the symbol. Even Trumpass comments on how silly the solution was.

Speaking of which, there must be a TV trope out there for a villain that tells the good guys exactly how to defeat them.
"Explaining Your Power to the Enemy" is likely what you're thinking of.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

So all things considered, Mario doesn't seem to be all that bothered by Yamato falling through his roof, being initially shocked but never stopping to figure out why his nephew is falling from the sky.
Zychotic wrote: I didn't give this episode a higher rating because of how it was structured. Let's have a Sela focused episode with a MOTW, then abruptly change to introducing the 6th ranger. I didn't like that too much.
Agreed. And the issue isn't so much that TheWorld comes in towards the end, it's that the primary plot up to that point just gets dropped for the rest of the episode to make it happen.
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

Surely it can't be long now before Mario figures out their identities. Maybe he already has and is a Secret Secret Keeper (yes, another trope, takenoko)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's cool. I don't read tv tropes, so feel free to point out those memes.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

From what I can see, there was no monologues involved, and, so far, no green candles. Just your standard "good guys get their clocks cleaned".
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Shipuujin
Infinity
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Shipuujin »

Don't particularly like TheWorld's suit. The multiple colors just counteract symmetry so badly. The Crocodile Tail was always jarringly awkward.

Anyway, I really liked this episode. We see more of Sela's backstory and how badly she misses her family while also relating her family to the child. She's a very caring Big Sister type of figure here.

I also really like how simple the solution was to fix the card problem and how Trumpass even commented on how hilariously simple it was. Was actually surprised that Trumpass got to escape as well.
The intro to TheWorld is pretty nice.

First of all, I LOVE the Fishing Rod weapon. That is such a unique weapon of choice! Although, one problem i noticed was how flimsy the toy was. It's very long and thin so it might be easily broken... so I fear that the suit actors will fight too awkwardly cautious with it.

The 3 Animal Transformations are nice, but besides the mask, there isn't any really noticeable change physically. Oddly, the changes appear in the Super form. Also the transformation requires not a cube, but what looks almost like a Flashlight? That is an interesting difference.

Overall, mixed feelings about TheWorld, but I hope to eventually like him like I do with the rest of the cast.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

if it is a flashlight then wtf but i think a telescope?

as far as what does each animal bring to the table? well yeah "woah wolf" brings speed, and his fishing pole becomes a gun. the rhino is the fishing rod whip, and the croc a staff. perhaps, the croc increases his martial arts capacity? since the fishing rod becomes a staff/spear. and remember he could have 3 different super beast outs.
Lastly, while they did show off alot of the worlds skills, its his premier episode. no need to show everything right away yes?

and yes great sera episode with a silly player, but hey, its why jyuohger's been great the serious silly mix works!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

midorininger wrote:as far as what does each animal bring to the table? well yeah "woah wolf" brings speed, and his fishing pole becomes a gun. the rhino is the fishing rod whip, and the croc a staff. perhaps, the croc increases his martial arts capacity? since the fishing rod becomes a staff/spear. and remember he could have 3 different super beast outs.
It seems like the embodiment of the traditional speed/strength/agility trinity. Though I still agree that the overall design is lacking, and the croc tail looks especially absurd.
Lastly, while they did show off alot of the worlds skills, its his premier episode. no need to show everything right away yes?
Because it's his premiere episode, so they want to show off how awesome/powerful he is.
Uzur9
TQG
TQG
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaimu
2nd Favorite Series: Kaizoku Sentai Gokai
Favorite Band: J-rock/pop + Dubstep
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Uzur9 »

midorininger wrote:if it is a flashlight then wtf but i think a telescope?
Aye its a flashlight
Kamen Rider left to finish:
Reiwa: Geats, Gotchard

Super Sentai left to finish:
Shōwa: Denjiman, Goggle V, Dynaman, Changeman

Heisei: Complete.

Reiwa: Zenkaiger, High School Heroes, Donbrothers & King-Ohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>It seems like the embodiment of the traditional speed/strength/agility trinity.

Speed and agility, what's the difference?
Skeith
7X
Quote: I'm.....right here.

Post by Skeith »

takenoko wrote:>It seems like the embodiment of the traditional speed/strength/agility trinity.

Speed and agility, what's the difference?
Speed is how fast you move while agility is how fast you react.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”