Jyuohger 20 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:12 am

☆☆☆☆☆
20%
☆☆☆☆
40%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
20%
12%

Total votes: 25
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 20 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 2.92 / 5 (12 votes)

Sub Title - Za World's an Emo

I can't remember the last time the new ranger actively detracted from the overall show this much. What a shitty character!

If you've been with us for a while, then you know that I haaaate these kind of characters. Loser characters, do you pity them, laugh at them, or straight up hate them? They're played up for comedy, but at the same time the writers still reserve the right to make overcoming that character flaw "an arc". They're a weenie, except when they're in hero form where they act like a totally different person. Except it's no fun to watch these characters. They're frustrating, not funny, egocentric, frankly completely childish, and overly repetitive like a Ninninger catchphrase. Just looking at the preview, it seems like we're going to be going through the same thing, but with Tusk at the helm instead of Yamato next episode. This is going to be a bumpy ride.

On top of that, what a poorly executed episode. They must have a new editor, because the first jump to a commercial after Yamato caught up with Mondo is so jerky and sudden. We get character bits from TheWorld, but his personal crisis is averted thanks to funny talking ghost animals. See what I mean about characters like this ruining tone? And finally, remember that monster that was conveniently left alive last time? Well, he shows up just in time to get killed. What a spectacular patchwork you've got there.

I'll admit the talking animals might be an interesting gimmick for Mondo. The croc reminds me of Yasudenwani from Aba.

Also, the Jyumans were captured from just a straight up fight with the two team leaders. So basically the Jyuohgers have no chance if the DeathGaliens ever got serious. I guess you can say they're teasing it out since the conflict is a game to them, but that smells like a plot hole to me.

I'm not a writer, but here's how I would have handled this arc. Don't have Mondo be brainwashed. A character who's not in control of their actions or who is unable to understand the repercussions of them isn't a character. It'd have been more fun if Genis actually seduced Mondo with power. Then instead of breaking the brainwashing, we have Mondo stay as TheWorld a bit longer, as the Jyuohgers work to get Mondo over his fears and weaknesses. Then, when Mondo finally breaks free of Genis, there's an actual payoff, since they spent time developing the character.

Last week was dumb. Yamato blindly trusts Mondo to not kill him and his friends. A person he's probably spent less than 15 minutes with. Versus Genis having maybe days or even weeks to brainwash and seduced Mondo into doing his bidding. Yamato may as well have been yelling "Stop having Stockholm Syndrome!" at TheWorld repeatedly, for the good it'd do.

Not liking this arc. TheWorld is dumb, we're spending too much time on Yamato saving the day, and I'd like to go back to seeing stories about the Jyumans now please. 2 out of 5 stars, sorely tempted to make it a 1.

Call of the Fujoshi
I want pictures and fanfics and photoshops from this episode shipping Yamato and Mondo.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Jyuohger 20 released

Post by Lunagel »

Mondo is a skinny bitch.

I don't mind these characters, I kinda chuckled at his reaction to the nickname, so I'm not nearly as irritated with him as Takenoko is. There's only so many ways you can shake up the "bad guy becomes friend" formula and at least we haven't had this kind before in Sentai (although he comes pretttty close to Ucchi personality-wise)

Also, I want those plushies, they are the adorbs.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ucchi was sensitive. Mondo is downright pathetic. The gap in that distinction is where my irritation lies.

Sometimes it's just the subtleties that make the difference. As much as I like Jyuohger, I feel like some of the flat moments are a weakness of Komura Junko's writing. I know she was just a co-writer for Wizard, but that's another show which had some potential that ultimately felt kind of mediocre. Sanjou Riku's Kyouryuuger was just filled with much more likable characters overall.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I’ll respectfully disagree with you Takenoko - I thought Misao was hysterical, and the reactions the Zyumen had toward his ridiculousness (particularly Leo) were really entertaining. Could his shtick get old? Possibly. But this episode was the most fun I’ve had watching the show in a couple months. The spirits in his head talking and bickering with Misao reminded me of the Imagin. Plus, “It’s the end of the world for you!” is a fantastic catchphrase.

I think I said this before, but I love Cube Crocodile. I chuckled during the attack where he gobbled up the enemy and then its “stomach” expanded before compressing back to its normal size.

I’m kind of shocked the OP sequence didn’t update to add Misao’s actor/mecha. I noticed that one abrupt cut to CM break too. I had to rewind because I thought my file skipped ahead or had a glitch in it.

Was I happy about how fast Mondo broke away from Genis last week? Not at all. But I like the character and I’m looking forward to the inevitable arc where Misao bonds with each of the original team members.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Shit 6th. A shame. We've been doing well with 6th rangers for a while.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Now I wish I'd waited an hour or two and watched this instead of Overtime's version. But like many I'm disappointed he's gone good, especially so quickly.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i like that he is eccentric. but we havent cleared up why cubekuma/panda happened!

he seems to be a decent mix of a few favorite 6ths of mine. deka break for being weird. gaosilver for not feeling he belongs, and of coarse burai, for wanting to be with them but feels he cant, minus the green candles and life and all.....

"monarch of the world" and "it's the end of the world for you!" and lastly, "you better not under estimate me!" some great lines playing off his name.

i didnt rate this a five though. because as with everyone else, it felt too rushed and i would have prefered he went rogue. i hope for the sake of depth the jyuman inside him keep playing with his head. and he actually spends time reasoning with them, and somehow unlocks greater strength somehow? i also hope they reveal how genis did it too because im super curious about that.

last and final thought! could azauld rebuild his body around someone and like fusion with them that way? would be a neat trick!
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

takenoko wrote:I'm not a writer, but here's how I would have handled this arc. Don't have Mondo be brainwashed. A character who's not in control of their actions or who is unable to understand the repercussions of them isn't a character. It'd have been more fun if Genis actually seduced Mondo with power. Then instead of breaking the brainwashing, we have Mondo stay as TheWorld a bit longer, as the Jyuohgers work to get Mondo over his fears and weaknesses. Then, when Mondo finally breaks free of Genis, there's an actual payoff, since they spent time developing the character.
Are you talking about Garren? Because it sounds like you're talking about Garren.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't really think Garren's in the same camp. His situation was that he had an addiction. And why his decision making was altered, he was ultimately the one in charge of those decisions.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

PHurricane wrote:I’ll respectfully disagree with you Takenoko - I thought Misao was hysterical, and the reactions the Zyumen had toward his ridiculousness (particularly Leo) were really entertaining. Could his shtick get old? Possibly. But this episode was the most fun I’ve had watching the show in a couple months. The spirits in his head talking and bickering with Misao reminded me of the Imagin.
His antics got to be a bit much at times, but generally I agree. I like that this guy is a few fries short of a Happy Meal; or perhaps it's better to say he's a few too many stuffed in there. It pushes him towards a comedic character, but a guy with animals in his head, ones that don't necessarily even agree with each other, has entertainment potential.

Meanwhile I have to knock a point off for bringing back the bowling ball monster. Honestly I totally forgot about him, and for good reason. He should have died last episode, but clearly TheWorld needed some fodder to defeat to look awesome in his good-guy debut episode.

Finally: we're on a break again? That was quick. What is it this time? Tennis?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I think I heard it was the women's open?
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

takenoko wrote:Yeah, I think I heard it was the women's open?
It's Wimbledon :) (the one in England). The French Open and Wimbledon slams are really that close to each other.

This episode was downright horrible. How can Amu (or whoever else) call him athletic? And why be such a jerk, Misao Mondo??

The ep was made all the more worse by making those scenes FUNNY. They're not supposed to be. :x

Last: I remember from last ep's preview for this ep that Genis crushed his cup of wine. Didn't see that here.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

njb wrote:Last: I remember from last ep's preview for this ep that Genis crushed his cup of wine. Didn't see that here.
Good eye. That was indeed in the preview, but it wasn't seen here.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

takenoko wrote:I don't really think Garren's in the same camp. His situation was that he had an addiction. And why his decision making was altered, he was ultimately the one in charge of those decisions.
That's what I mean. It sounds like you want Mondo to have been in a similar situation that Garren was in.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

What might make Mondo more (or less) entertaining would be that the three Jyuougers can "possess" Mondo imagin style. Croc might develop a crush on Sela. Wolf might get the hots for Amu and Rhino might feel a need to bond in a manly way with Leo.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”