Jyuohger 24 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:23 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
41%
☆☆☆
18%
☆☆
5%
No votes

Total votes: 22
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 24 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 3.71 / 5 (17 votes)

Alt Title - I'm just your memory, Homer. I can't give you any new information.

Soooo, this episode really made me uncomfortable. Not because we're telling kids that magic monsters can bring their dead loved ones back to life, but because the ramifications are intrinsically horrifying to me as an adult. Putting aside that Bang Rey kills Yamato's mom again, what happens with the random group of people that Bang Rey randomly attacked? Are those memory people still alive, did they eventually disappear, or what? Oh, that lady thinks her dead daughter is alive again. Oh... I guess these scenes are there to show what a jerk Bang Rey is? But it's not like the Jyuohgers are going to go back and tell those people "Those ghosts aren't real, they were just your memories brought to life by aliens." And even if they did, they can never tell that story without coming off as crazy. They may not be victims of buildings blowing up in Tokyo, but their lives are pretty screwed either way.

I like that Cubal just slapped Bang Rey's hand away. I kind of feel like most characters would just complain while leaving it there.

Sela's hair is new this episode, I think? Looks nice.

In my notes, I have a question about why Mondo is acting like such a weirdo when he sees Yamato with his mom. But now, I guess we learn that he thought that was his much older girlfriend.

NarikiriRangers are dancing in the ending sequence. That's a cool name. (Nairikiri is the Japanese word for "imitators")

Amu! I didn't realize it until Amu pointed it out, but is it possible that this is a hint that Yamato's father is birdman? I mean, Kazakiri isn't a real Japanese surname, I think?
Edit: Those flowers at the tombstone weren't there earlier in the episode, and Mario and Yamato are the only ones in the family that we know of still alive. So could those flowers have been from Yamato's father? And is the father birdman?

That reminds me. During the flashback sequence. I'm pretty sure I made the assumption that there were two parents when Yamato ran away. But now, it sort of seems to imply that Yamato was raised by just his mother. If I find some lines that need correcting, I'll do another post here.

I don't think they say it in ep, but Yamato's mom's name is Kazakiri Wakako. The Wa in her name is a part of Yamato's name (the second kanji). So that means her original name was Mori Wakako. Also, she's the older sister, yet she looks much younger than Uncle Mario. She's 34 while he's 52 (I guess it has been like 10 years since that flashback, but that'd still make him 42ish)

Edit: Oh, Yamato's mom is played by Kana from Agito. It's nice to see her again after all these years.

Hmmm, 4? Not my favorite episode, but there were a lot of interesting things going on. And the topic was legitimately interesting. But wasn't Wizard all about dealing (or not dealing) with the death of loved ones? I notice that some writers really get off on writing about the same subjects again and again. Oh, and also, a lot of good flying attacks from Yamato in this episode.

Looks like next week is Leo's turn to hang out with the new guy. That just leaves... a Sela and Mondo bonding episode? I really want Sela to not just be a throwaway character.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Jyuohger 24 released

Post by PHurricane »

I've sworn pretty much from day one that Birdman was Yamato's dad. Not sure what you mean about Kazakiri not being a real Japanese surname, but anytime the writers have Amu observe something (especially if she has dialogue about it), it becomes important later. Nice catch with the flowers on the grave. It would explain Uncle Mario's anger if Yamato's dad abandoned the family rather than just dying, especially if he's close enough to leave his own flowers in memorial.

The two examples of Bang Rey's powers that really got to me was the mom clinging to the ghost of her child (because the only word I can think to describe someone who would prey on a memory like that is scum) and also the elderly woman who seemed so happy at the idea that it was time for her to die so she could be reunited with her dead husband.

I figured that Misao mistook Yamato's mom for his girlfriend. It added some levity to an episode that could have gotten really depressing otherwise.

Unfortunately, the more I think about Bang Rey's plan, the more holes I can poke in it. Based on his comments up on the spaceship, it was always his intention to target Yamato. If he hadn't attacked so many random people, the rest of the team probably wouldn't have understood his power as quickly as they did. (Not that it would have affected Yamato, since the memory was "killed" before they reached him.) But making Yamato hold his mother in his arms as she "died" a second time only served to make him more determined to smack down Bang Rey. Classic case of a villain doing something that only motivates the hero(es).

Bang Rey amuses Genis, but the fact that the other three don’t like him and Bang Rey is tight-lipped about what brought him to Earth makes me think their cooperation won’t last for long. Actually, to bring this post full circle, since he seems fixated on Yamato now, I wouldn't be surprised if Bang Rey pulls something out of Yamato's memories about his missing dad to try and hurt him again.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Oh, I just meant that Kazakiri didn't sound like any name I've heard before. Plus it's a real word, which makes it seem like Birdman just pulled a fake surname from a dictionary:
Kazakiri-bane (風切り羽) (n) flight feathers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Maybe corrections for previous episodes?

Post by takenoko »

Episode 2
15:22 はっきりした記憶はないんだけど親とケンカして家出した時崖から足滑らせて
I don't remember all the details, but I ran away after fighting with my parents. But I slipped and fell off a cliff.

It says Oya there, which can mean parents or parent. It doesn't specifically say mom, but knowing what we know now, it's probably just his mom. Since it's gender ambiguous, I would probably just change it from parents to parent if I had to do it over again.

Episode 9
Not a correction, just thought this was a nice direct reference to Mario deflecting for Yamato:
Dialogue: 0,0:29:29.26,0:29:32.27,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Oh right. What are your parents like, Yamato?
Dialogue: 0,0:29:33.93,0:29:34.56,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Mine?
Dialogue: 0,0:29:34.56,0:29:36.72,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Oh yeah. You've never told us about them.
Dialogue: 0,0:29:37.65,0:29:38.75,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Ummm... well...
Dialogue: 0,0:29:40.65,0:29:41.52,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Hey, Yamato.
Dialogue: 0,0:29:41.81,0:29:43.48,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,What's the secret ingredient to my fried rice?
Dialogue: 0,0:29:43.48,0:29:44.22,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Kimchi!

Episode 23
Not a correction either. Just some more proof that Amu is a master detective:
Dialogue: 0,0:14:34.17,0:14:36.42,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Well it's just me and my mom too.
Dialogue: 0,0:14:36.89,0:14:37.41,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Eh?
Dialogue: 0,0:14:37.50,0:14:39.21,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Guess it's my advice as someone who's been there.
Dialogue: 0,0:14:39.87,0:14:45.77,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,{\pos(960,923)}If you bottle things up, the other person suffers as well as yourself.
Dialogue: 0,0:14:47.69,0:14:48.70,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,I see...
Dialogue: 0,0:14:49.34,0:14:50.83,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,But we get along well now.
Dialogue: 0,0:14:51.21,0:14:56.12,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Both my mother and myself readily rely on others before it becomes too difficult for us to handle.
Dialogue: 0,0:14:56.72,0:14:57.47,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,I see.
Dialogue: 0,0:14:57.89,0:15:00.54,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,That's why I understand how you feel, Yamato-kun.
Dialogue: 0,0:15:01.80,0:15:02.20,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,Eh?!
Dialogue: 0,0:15:02.58,0:15:04.89,JyuohDialogue,,0,0,0,,The way you want everyone to live connected.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote: That reminds me. During the flashback sequence. I'm pretty sure I made the assumption that there were two parents when Yamato ran away. But now, it sort of seems to imply that Yamato was raised by just his mother. If I find some lines that need correcting, I'll do another post here.
In one of his flashbacks, didn't Young Yamoto have a fight with his father and seek out Uncle Mario as a result?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I really liked this episode because of the bringing people back thing. It's especially relevant for the Obon season where the dead "come back" to the world of the living to walk around. It's interesting to see the different reactions people have to seeing their friends and family come back and maybe a couple people they didn't want to see again. My heart nearly broke at the little old lady asking her late husband if he was there to take her with him. It's good to talk about these kinds of things with children and I'm glad this episode's big message was that as long as you remember your loved ones, they'll always be with you.

Although Bang Rey's ability does mean that they're skimping on the monster costumes, boo.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, I never thought about it that way.
kangchan
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by kangchan »

I checked in Zyuohger ep 16, when young Yamato came to his uncle's house. Mario asked him: Did you fight with your father ?

また お父さんとケンカしたんだろ?

You can check from 7'48.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Dang. There goes that theory.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Good episode, they did a really good use of Rey's ability. Just wh en i tought this one was getting dull they ome with a good villain and things looks promising again.

Seriously that dead people resurrecting was a real dick move, I think Bang ray is what the villains needed to get interesting again.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

What a brutal episode.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

A rare emotional episode for Super Sentai. Overall I enjoyed it, but I don't feel like the episode fully earned its emotional payoff. There have been the very occasional hints that Yamato's family backstory isn't happy, but not enough to fully setup this episode. So it does feel like a bit of a forced emotional trek.
takenoko wrote:Sela's hair is new this episode, I think? Looks nice.
Huh, so it is. I don't think I would have noticed that had you not said anything.
Lunagel wrote:Although Bang Rey's ability does mean that they're skimping on the monster costumes, boo.
I don't have any hard numbers to back this up, but to me it feels like this is more and more of a thing with Toei. They aren't just reusing MOTW suits more often, but they're making new MOTW suits less often as well. I swear this is especially prevalent around the time a new series is about to start, i.e. when the new KR is near, SS will reuse suits for a bit. Maybe it's a budget thing, or Toei's suit shop just can't handle a running series and spinning up a new series at the same time?

Anyhow, the downside to this is that they're really wearing some of these suits down. I'm shocked Trumpass got another use; his suit was already in poor condition after his two-parter. But for this episode the dang thing is just falling apart. They don't even try to hide the holes.

If that suit is ever seen again, I'm going to be shocked. Double so if this series gets a PR adaption.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I would really like to see another crossover episode now, where Bang Rey attacks Akari and randomly brings Takeru back to life. Bang Rey could be laughing at Akari and fake Takeru trying to interact when Ghost Takeru shows up behind Bang Rey and taps his shoulder. Bang Rey becomes paranoid that someone could possibly be copying his power and runs away and the fake Takeru fades away.

Another interesting use for Bang Rey's power would be to bring back Crocodile, Rhino, or Wolf.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i was wondering if the person who noticed trumpass's costume issues would examine it again!

last ep and this EP they showed theworlds finishers, so still showcasing him.

so what if they are saving on the monster costumes? in some ways dekaranger was cheap with this too. the motw was usually just a person wearing normal clothes with a monster head and monster hands, maybe a tail. rarely were they in full costume, and the motw had mecha they jumped into, which often times were re-used with slight mods pending on the owers liking.

IN ANY CASE! hopefully this villian/red rviallary will be as good and shinkenred/juuzo.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

By the way I just hope that
Spoiler
<No spoilers!!! ~DV030>

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”