Ratings Poll: Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

How are you finding Jyuohger?

☆☆☆☆☆ It's a beast
17%
☆☆☆☆ Roar
32%
☆☆☆ Animal
39%
☆☆ Helpless animal whimper
8%
☆ Belongs in a cage!
3%

Total votes: 59
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ratings Poll: Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger

Post by takenoko »

So we're at the mid point of Jyuohger, so let's do a fan assessment of how Jyuohger is doing. How are you finding the series so far?

Images

Master Polls Thread
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Ratings Poll: Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger

Post by Catastrophe »

I'm enjoying it more than the past two seasons at this point so far. I think the central 5 are interesting, the bad guys have a cool theme of hunting/video games and I like the subplot of the eagle man, even if they haven't done anything with it for a while. I also really like the fact that the 6th ranger was introduced at 16/17 as opposed to 9 or 10 which has been the case in the past few seasons. It really gives you more time to enjoy the development of the main crew before spending a few weeks on the new guy.

The major downside for me is TheWorld. His character after becoming good is not enjoyable at all. Another would be the mecha are quite lame. The super combinations mostly just have the cubes do nothing.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Average, I'd say. I want to give it a 4, but the mecha suck and the villains don't really rise above generic Sentai villains. It's Gokaiger's villains without Basco and without most of the interesting character traits.
mantis
Go Go!
Favorite series: Ultraseven
2nd Favorite Series: Sailor Moon
Dreamy: Gosei Blue
Favorite Actor?: Ito Hideaki
Favorite Band: None right now

Post by mantis »

I have found that every other season is to my liking. Ninninger blew chunks, ToQger was quite fun and entertaining, Dino-something-or-other was a waste and Go-Busters was amazing. I could go further back but I won't. With that said so far I am really enjoying Jyuohger but I do want them to develop the baddies a little more.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

This may be the Ninninger trauma speaking, but I like this series. For now, I'll hand it a four knowing that it will definitely change somewhere during the latter half of the season. Giving it a five where they are right now would mean I spend the rest of the season wondering if it will maintain that opinion instead of seeing if could potentially get better. Also, it has started spinning its wheels in the past few weeks after a strong start, justifying MOTW fillers by adding a 5-second-long plot development somewhere in the series. Ignoring Ninninger (as we all should), I was much more interested in Toqger by the summer break than I am right now.

It's an interesting premise, no doubt. It definitely has the potential to get better later this year, I just hope that Misao stops being so whiny about the tiniest things. Of all the things on the show right now, he's the only thing that could bring the show down in my opinion. Not quite Wizard's Shunpei levels of irritating, but he's flirting with the edge of that slippery slope.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Let's see. September 1 check. (Ep 27 was just released). Poll's been up since August 7, so about 3 weeks have passed.

It's
4.11 out of 5 with (9 votes).

But as more people vote and the series draws to an end, that is likely to go down toward the average. It's definitely not a Gokaiger level show (Looking at this sure gives me some insight into how Toei works, btw) so it's probably going to hover around the 4 mark or even below. I seriously doubt it'll drop below Ninninger's 2.82 though. It's not THAT bad.

Gokaiger 4.66 (80 votes August 18, 2015)
Go-Busters 4.08 (63 votes August 18, 2015)
Kyouryuuger 4.02 (48 votes August 18, 2015)
Toqger 3.59 (58 votes August 18, 2015)
Ninninger 2.82 (68 votes as of February 17, 2016)->2.50 (121 votes August 7, 2016)
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

FWIW I can't believe the number of 5s. I'm not saying it's a bad show, but that's a lot of top marks...
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It's probably because it's so much better than Nin was, people are marking higher. I mean, it was really good early on and has kind of dipped since.

Take, I wouldn't bother ranking anything against Gokaiger. It was decade done right and pandered to nostalgia. Using the Gobus/Kyouryu rankings as a comparison are probably going to be more accurate for a run of the mill series.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, Gokaiger definitely is an anomaly as a data point. It'll be a long time before we get anything that high again.
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

I'm not really watching Jyuohger anymore mostly because I'm tired of the story set up in Super Sentai (monster appears, conflict, defeat monster, giant mecha battle just because), plus I like Kamen Rider shows more.
That being said, I do recognise that Jyuohger is a pretty strong show. There are reasonably good storylines and I like that they occasionally turn stories into 2 part episodes so they can spend more time developing the plot (recent Sentai rarely had 2 parters).

I give this show a 4. I'll still occasionally watch some key episodes here and there yet I don't think that rating will change from now until the end of the season.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Just like I did with Ghost, I'm going to give my final opinion prior to seeing the final episode. Just like Ghost, the final episode will not sway my opinion of the show. Good or bad, one episode can't erase 47 others that came before it.

I gave it a 4 back in September and I don't think the show's done enough to raise itself to a 5. I still think the premise was good, but I feel like the "We gotta go home" premise was dropped early, never to be seen again. There were a few episodes when I forgot that four of them weren't Humans, and that's a bit important to the story's foundation. Aside from that, there was a lot of mini-plots that were hinted at, such as the relationship between Amu and Yamato, which was hinted at in nearly every episode but never expanded, and Bado's...well, anything about him.

If anything it seemed very conservative, focusing heavily on the MOTW instead of plot. The final arc was just plopped into everyone's lap without warning. Following Ninninger, this whole series was like a re-alignment for Super Sentai, where as Kyuranger appears to be ready and able to break the mold for the series moving forward.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

takenoko wrote:Let's see. September 1 check. (Ep 27 was just released). Poll's been up since August 7, so about 3 weeks have passed.

It's
4.11 out of 5 with (9 votes).

But as more people vote and the series draws to an end, that is likely to go down toward the average. It's definitely not a Gokaiger level show (Looking at this sure gives me some insight into how Toei works, btw) so it's probably going to hover around the 4 mark or even below. I seriously doubt it'll drop below Ninninger's 2.82 though. It's not THAT bad.

Gokaiger 4.66 (80 votes August 18, 2015)
Go-Busters 4.08 (63 votes August 18, 2015)
Kyouryuuger 4.02 (48 votes August 18, 2015)
Toqger 3.59 (58 votes August 18, 2015)
Ninninger 2.82 (68 votes as of February 17, 2016)->2.50 (121 votes August 7, 2016)
So it's February 7th, we haven't released the finale, but it's coming close.

We're down to 3.63 with 27 votes. Will be interesting to see how it changes when the finale is released and this poll gets more popular. Honestly, expecting it to go down a bit.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Half-way through the show's run I gave it a 3. And now that it has wrapped up, I'm going to leave it at a 3.

To follow-up my thoughts on the finale with some thoughts on the series as a whole, I would argue that Jyuohger's biggest problem is that it's just too conservative of a series overall. It's not necessarily bad/wrong to be conservative, as not every series can be bombastic, and it's good to have a series now and then that more-or-less purely embodies the collection of tropes and ideas that is Sentai. But if you go conservative you have to do it well. By definition you're not messing with the formula much, so it means there are already a number of previous series that have already done a good job with the same formula. Fortunately for Toei, the target audience hasn't seen those series. But because these traditional elements are generally in every series, it still means that unless it's done well the series ends up without a good hook. And that's exactly what happened here.

For writing this post I've honestly struggled to think of things about the series I really liked. Which is not to say that it didn't do some things well, but without anything novel going on there's not much to set it apart. The cast was inoffensive, and of the 6 I feel like Amu ended up being the best character. Her sharp tongue was fun, and something female characters rarely get. And I also liked how it was the rest of the team that was the fish out of water (being almost literal in Sela's case) rather than Red.

The camerawork also deserves a mention. They've done a few cool things with drones and with first-person views over the season that worked well and I hope they continue doing in the future. It's important that the show evolves, even in a conservative year.

Otherwise, too many other things fell flat. The pacing was bad, though not for the usual reason. Instead of a long block of filler episodes, the problem here was that too many elements were finally discovered/addressed/solved within the last 8 or so episodes. These are things that just outright should have been introduced earlier and given more time to breathe. Also, the villains were by and large very generic. Cubal had the most interesting backstory, but things quickly fell apart for everyone else. I've said it once and I'll say it again: Toei needs to stop making the use of face villains a key differentiator between Sentai and Kamen Rider. A face villain who could fully emote here likely would have made a huge difference.

The mecha and arsenal (i.e. toys) were also disappointing. The cube theme didn't work too well here, because it led to uninspired weapons and mecha that just sucked. How you make a giant robot so uninteresting, I don't know. It makes me very curious about how well the toys sold and if it lived up to Bandai's expectations.

Red hogged the show like usual, so this isn't a surprise. But his story arc was too weak to carry the show.

Finally, I'm disappointed that the show didn't do very much of consequence with its game theme. Other than some thematically appropriate allusions to The Most Dangerous Game, gaming was a background element. Gaming terms were something to name the generals, the plans, etc to give them unique names; it was window dressing on standard Sentai plot elements. Which wouldn't be so damning if not for the fact that Ex-Aid is airing right now in the time slot immediately after Jyuohger, and it's doing an absolutely fantastic job of embracing and utilizing the gaming theme. I struggle to think of what to label Jyuohger as, other than another animal Sentai.

But overall, the show isn't terrible. Going back to what I said at the start, the show is conservative. As a result it doesn't do anything offensive, it just doesn't do anything interesting. Ninninger made you want to hate it - it earned that hate for how annoying its Red was. Jyuohger on the other hand doesn't elicit any meaningful emotions: it's an inoffensive, by-the-numbers Sentai that never does anything terrible, but also doesn't come anywhere near rising to the heights of the better Sentai series.
takenoko wrote:Goodbye Jyuohger. You were mostly forgettable and you taught me to beware of Komura Junko's writings in the future. Between Wizard and Jyuohger, I don't see us going on a third date.

Series: 3 / 5 stars. A meh series that doesn't go anywhere and doesn't follow through on its message or theming. Some fun moments, but only like half the main cast are even interesting/likable. The only reason it doesn't get the 2 star that it probably deserves is because it's not actively annoying.
Komura Junko wasn't the main writer for Wizard, just the backup writer, so I'm not sure how much blame she(?) deserves. But I agree that Jyuohger was not a good outing for her.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Huh, I'm surprised I didn't mention that, since I was thinking about that nuance. Yeah, she wasn't the main writer, but she did write 22 of the episodes for Wizard (out of 53?) By comparison, Kida Tsuyoshi who was credited with being the main writer wrote 27 of the 53 episodes. And two of those episodes they share writing credits on.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

So when the poll first went live I had it at 4, but have dropped it down to 3. Kind of average to be honest. Character development is poor for both the heroes and the villains and I don't feel that there is anything super worthwhile about it.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”