Jyuohger 28 (Sentai 1999) released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:36 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
82%
☆☆☆☆
5%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
3%
3%

Total votes: 39
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 28 (Sentai 1999) released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 2.85 / 5 (20 votes)
Wow, people really did not like last week's episode. Seven 1's. I thought it was pretty amusing, but I get that clip shows are a big downer.

Alt Title - Marvelous gives up the triangle to go after cubes

Wow, that was good. And not good as in "here's characters you like" or "nostalgia for nostalgia's sake", but like "real effort was put in this episode" good. The action was amazing (Doc, I've missed your antics). There were a lot of funny moments in it. There were dramatic turns. And we get some back story that is probably main plot relevant. So much for my theory that this would be a standalone Gokaiger episode.

Speaking of character moments, Tusk actually does stuff like talk about history and has a cool break dance fight moment. Tusk was good in this episode.

I saw a pic of Ikari kneeling before the Toqger kids last week on Toei's page. But I think we only saw their backs and I don't think their names were in the credits, so that seems shitty Toei. You can afford to bring those kids back and to show their faces. Like why have that scene at all then?

I was pretty excited about the whale guy turning into a Jyuohger. For some dumb reason, I thought "Oh cool, they made a cool-looking suit for just this flashback." But then I saw the CM and realized it's just a new form for red. Damn. I like Yamato, but they keep making him out to be the JyuLand Jesus of the story. If this were a Hollywood movie, he'd be the white guy who goes to native cultures and solves their problems for them. Yamato says "Everybody is important" out of his mouth, but in his actions he's the only one who's important. It's not that I always hate overpowered Reds, but it doesn't work if it's unearned or if it doesn't fit the theming or plot.

I can't help but notice that only Gai and Marvelous' faces are seen in this episode.

Oh, Chou, the narrator for the series, plays Ketos (Latinized to Cetus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetus_%28mythology%29 ). I would have used Cetus, but apparently people pronounce it as (see-tos) when Greeks usually use hard k sounds. Like cyclops would be keeklopas or Circe would be keerkee in original Greek. And since Japanese is a phonetic language, they tend to use loan words based on their country of origin rather than the Latinized versions that appear in English. That's just how my insane brain works.

Too bad Chou doesn't play an octopus or some other tentacled creature of the deep, since he played Shitari the cthulu looking guy from Shinkenger.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Jyuohger 28 (Sentai 1999) released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

A good Appetizer to next week's entree. I miss Junya's shenanigans.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I bit my tongue last week because it was just the preview, but I cannot believe that this show waited until the franchise was celebrating a milestone by bringing back the cast of the last anniversary cast to move their plot along. These are the types of episodes that I would forgive the plot for taking a backseat.

Whatever, it was a good episode. Slightly heavy on exposition due to the hologram segment, but Leo’s commentary on Ketos’ story was pretty funny. I was debating with myself if Ketos’ monster was supposed to be Genis, but it didn’t look much like him. Could still be related to him, since he the few lines he had in the episode hinted at something big coming down the pipeline concerning his past. It should also be interesting to find out how Bang Rey knew to come to Earth to find Cube Whale when the people from Zyuland didn’t even know about it.

And of course, we have the Gokaigers. I love that show so much. I got pumped just by hearing some of those BGMs kick in since Gokaiger has one of my favorite soundtracks.

The tactics everyone used in the scuffle between Marvelous and the Zyumans over the Mark of the Great King was a great way of showing all of their personalities without any words. It was also a good decision by the writers to have them associate the Gokai Changes to Yamato and Misao’s form changes, and acknowledge that Marvelous used animal-themed powers that were comparable to theirs. That fight in the forest had great choreography. I even liked the attention to detail that Yamato and Tusk were dragging the despondent-Misao with them around the time everyone started splitting up into different battle zones.

I get that they wanted to set all the different fights in motion, but it was kind of an anticlimactic moment to end the episode on. Gai is going to be so annoyed with his teammates next week for fighting with their kouhai (even if the other side shot first, so to speak).

It was also adorable that the Zyuohgers did the Gokaiger poses at the end of the pick-the-cube segment at the start of the episode. I’m guessing we’ll get both full casts to kick things off next week. Can’t wait to hear the new verses to Super Sentai Hero Getter!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh yeah, I just noticed in the Curry Meshi commercial, there's like three versions of the Curry Meshi mascot. The first one is a shirtless guy on the couch with a yellow thing on his head. But when he falls off, it's just a big plush thing with arms and legs. But in the last scene, he's intentionally new and revised.
D-D-D-Decade
Mega
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Ankh
Favorite Actor?: Kaname Jun
My boom: Mankind Divided
Quote: "Kimi no tonari tatakau tabi umare kawaru" - YU-KI

Post by D-D-D-Decade »

Whoever does the fight choreography for Jyuohger needs a raise. More often than not I am impressed by all the twists and turns they take. I'd give this one 4 stars for that alone and 5 for everything else.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Jyuohger on a Tuesday? Take, you spoil us.:P

Anyhow, PHurricane hit all of major thoughts I had watching this episode. Overall it was fantastic, and not because of the nostalgia. Real effort was put into the plot, the fights, etc. If nothing else, I can't accuse Toei of not putting their extra production time from last week's clip show to good use.

That said, dropping the next arc in the middle of a team-up special is odd. It ensures there's never a dull moment. But at the same time, the Cube Whale plot could have easily filled a whole episode on its own, without the Gokaigers showing up. So I'm left to ponder if this arc is getting underdeveloped since it needs to share screen time with the Gokaigers. But at the very least it's episode 28 and the team cannon has arrived, right on time.

As for the Gokaigers, man I've missed them. Gokaiger wasn't just a great season because of the anniversary elements, but also because the characters were so well developed, even early on. So having them back is a treat. It also makes me realize just how long it's been since we've had a confident (but not hot-headed) leader type for Red. Red is always the leader because Sentai, but Marvelous was the last time we had such a Red. Competency probably isn't the right word, but I do wish Yamato had that level of cool.

Edit: And Navi still cracks me up. Even after everything he's been through with Marvelous (and knows how he'll be treated), he still goes "Hello, Hello" to Marvelous when he's handed off. The perfect comic relief :lol:
Last edited by ViRGE on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

I'm so geeking out right now!

what an ep... -0.1 star for being a 2 parter.... wait. MOAR GOKAIGER NEXT WEEK! I give it back!

I keep wondering if this series will have a 7th or not. they keep teasing Bado, god knows if he'll ever put on a suit.

I have no idea how many more mecha are due..... at least 3 more option cubes, from what I saw, so... we shall see.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

was so happy it was early this week! and something ive wanted to see since February ... Red Hawk vs Jyuoh Eagle! And of coarse Marvelous stole the opening. at first, i was confused because he could gokai change, but then gai is gathering keys again. now, after Kyuryouger did any of the past team even know Gokaiger? i mean is there some sort of after you beat your final boss, "btw these pirates ... if they ask for ranger keys this is what you do ..."?

in any case, hmm i get they wanted variety but would gaowhite being a white tiger have been a better pick? he could have also gone with changeman(?) yellow lion too. but i get it he is red so stayed red. i would have liked though Gaoblue vs jyuoh shark.

not sure how i felt about Marvelous not wanting to help them out though. i mean, after all theyve been through youd think ... wait .. that would be too super sentai. they are pirates after all. :D
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

takenoko wrote:I was pretty excited about the whale guy turning into a Jyuohger. For some dumb reason, I thought "Oh cool, they made a cool-looking suit for just this flashback." But then I saw the CM and realized it's just a new form for red. Damn. I like Yamato, but they keep making him out to be the JyuLand Jesus of the story. If this were a Hollywood movie, he'd be the white guy who goes to native cultures and solves their problems for them. Yamato says "Everybody is important" out of his mouth, but in his actions he's the only one who's important. It's not that I always hate overpowered Reds, but it doesn't work if it's unearned or if it doesn't fit the theming or plot.
I can't think of a time where Yamato was very selfish about something in this show. Unlike some other Sentai Red that we'll ignore, he's been rather helpful and supportive to his teammates without letting his ego run wild.

While I expected Sela to wind up with the Whale suit until I saw the pictures, I don't think it's necessarily wrong [yet] to give itnto Yamato either. He didn't actively go searching for the Gorilla upgrade, it was given to him after winning iver Larry's trust. It seems like the same will happen here, too, in some way. Plus, the original Whale went to someone who saved all the people, so it wouldn't make sense to give it to Leo, for instance. The original Whale was also a Whale, so that helped.

I'm not so certain that Yamato isn't going to wind up as Jesus anyway. There was a lot of questions as to why he could use the Eagle powers in the first place since he is a human, even though those have vanished from recent shows. Toei does forget some of the seeds they plant early, but surely that one has a purpose down the road.

As for the episode, I loved it. But you'd think Navi would learn how to fly away when Marvelous tosses him through the air by now...being a bird and whatnot.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Woohoo Gokaigers show up! The curry part has to be a reference to ep.1
Spoiler
when the Gokaigers themselves were stopped from eating curry because of Zangyack's intrusion

So Marvelous first three changes (after GokaiRed ofc) are GaoRed, GekiRed, and Red Buster. Same order as a certain OOO combo huh

The Gokai Change animation was way better here than in Gokaiger itself, when the symbol for that particular Sentai enlarges and simply covers the Gokaiger. Here we see the henshin animation itself.

The Super Hero Getter 2016 sounds a little less upbeat than the 2011 version... The video (after the lyrics for the 20 teams were sung) was patterned after the Gokaigers' ED with close-ups for each of the Zyuohgers and then an angled shot of them in line.

Some grammar errors that I think slipped:
08:20 "Greetings, my descendents." Surely that's descendants?
- Descendent is an adjective.
11:14 "... to develop the Link Cube and its keys, the Marks of the Kings."
- The plural of "Mark of the King" is "Marks of the King".
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Thank you. Look forward to next week's adventure.
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
Farr
7X
Favorite series: Blade / Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim~W / Shinken
Dreamy: Umeko / Hana
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Farr »

I don't saw as much enjoyment in this Episode than some others clearly did, it was an okey Episode, was nice to see that they went to the Trouble letting Gai(?[GokaiSilver]) collect the post Gokai Keys instead of them just having them, even if the Scene wasn't really that great.

What annoyed me most is that the Whale, which was probably the first Mecha, already has a 10 slapped onto him in the Flashback, the same blatantly obvious thing they did with TheWorlds Cube's, I mean ok it's a kids show, but c'mon, can we have at least a bit of cover up/the illusion that at least one of the Mechas doesn't survive the 'recruitment'?

And of course the, from what it looks like, totally wasted opportunity for an Team-Power up / 7th Member. I was actually thrilled for like 2 seconds, till I saw that the Suit is Red, making it painfully obvious that it's another Power up for Yamato, so he will not even have Equal Forms to Misao, who is still a pain in the butt with his whiny attitude, but probably surpassing his Powerlevel by far, since TheWorld is already under him, if not even the weakest of them all.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

It's been five years huh... I wonder if Japanese children actually care about the past sentai.

So now we know what Bangrey true intention of coming into earth, kinda feel underwhelming.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
Gokai Green
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Go-Onger
Dreamy: Luka
Favorite Actor?: Ryota Ozawa
Quote: "In order to gain something, you must give something up."- Basco

Post by Gokai Green »

Rifaz wrote:It's been five years huh... I wonder if Japanese children actually care about the past sentai.
Gokaiger was trending on Twitter in Japan and Worldwide during the episode airing with nearly 32,000 tweets so that could be a clear indication that the kids cared about them.
Shurikenger108

Post by Shurikenger108 »

I give this episode only 2 stars. Because I disappoint in those thing:
- They gave us the debut (or the mention) of Mark of the Great King in a team-up episode. I want this episode and the next are only for anniversary, and then Jyuohger comes back to its storyline, which is also not good recently.
- Bang Rey again. Since his debut in episode 23, every episodes now were about him. His ability is so lame now. It only helps Toei to reuse old monsters and not to make new one. And the most disappointing thing is JyuohWhale is what Bang Rey after. This shows the laziness and underwhelming. Genis is a bad-ass creepy boss, and he and his gang deserve to be on these 2 episodes.
- Gokaiger and their changing ability. In Gokai last episode, they returned powers to their sempai and search for their own, but since then they begged to have it back at least twice time. I'm fine if they are fighting on their own, Gokaiger's action scene is good. It's like Gokaiger can't do anything without past powers. And Gai was so so over-reacted.
But there are good moments in this too (which keeps me from giving one star)
- The history of Jyuland is interesting. But the good part is Tusk mentioned "It is not mentioned in every books". Now with the Birdman said before "Never come back to that place", there is something odd about this place now.
- When Marvelous appeared, I was hoping for the iconic soundtrack, but no, so I'm a little bit disappointed. But then the scene the other 4 appeared, wow goosebump.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”