Jyuohger 29 (Sentai 2000) released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:17 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
72%
☆☆☆☆
12%
☆☆☆
8%
☆☆
No votes
8%

Total votes: 25
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Jyuohger 29 (Sentai 2000) released

Post by Ashki »

Go-On Macaroni wrote:I really dislike Misao now. Like, it's one thing to do your moping shtick when it's just for the lolz at their base or on errands or whatever but, when your team's in trouble? No, screw off, you're a terrible hero.
What if it wasn't the Gokaiger? What if they were fighting an actual serious opponent at the start of that episode there and Misao pulled that junk? Welp, I guess the team'd be dead and it'd be his fault, wouldn't it?
Misao reads this and flops down in a corner to mope.

I know it sounds silly, but something about Aka's suit redesign always bugs me when I see it. Still, always good to see him in action. It would've been more entertaining if he used Birdie to have an aerial whip battle, though.

Hopefully they'll repair the moon. If not, I demand lunar continuity like they did in The Tick! I did love how all the destructive power bled out by the time the beam reached its target... and then Bang Rey simply sidesteps.

The end scenes were also quite funny, with them forgetting Navi (again) and Misao dicovering he'd been pickpocketed. Poor Navi, though! I hope this means he'll hang around for an episode or two.

I also enjoyed Marvelous poking fun at their silly mech setup... "Just spin this, right?". Then Takashi retorts "We're not just spinning it!"... and just spins it anyway. :lol: That whole scene was great due to the interactions. The finisher was a bit disappointing, though. Unfortunately, using a phrase like "All Super Sentai Finisher!" instead of something stupid like "Jyuoh 40th Anniversary!" just isn't Toei's style.

The gags in this ep including that bit where Ahim and Doc were casually cleaning their weapons mid-battle really made me miss the days of professional writers working on the shows.

As for why we saw a villain from ToQger, but not Ninninger, I like xiiliea's answer, but it comes down to two things:
1. They never said Gai collected the Ninninger keys. Since the keys hold knowledge of a Ranger's entire skillset, mannerisms, etc. we can conclude it also contains that Ranger's memories. Thus they had the memories of a ToQger boss but no memories of Ninninger's bosses.
2. ToQger was an amazingly good series (even got my SO addicted to Super Sentai), and the writers wanted to cash in on that. Since we're just coming out of Ninninger, however, bringing back a boss from that series wouldn't have appealed to older fans and younger fans are fascinated by these older bosses. It's a family moment where the elder sibling or parent can tell the younger child aboout the sental and their villains. A child will often get excited when they see a grownup getting excited, so it just made too much sense from a strategic standpoint to add ToQger and replace Ninninger with a boss from an older series.

...We all know they didn't return the keys. Nor do they believe this planet lacks treasures. Typical Gokaiger misdirection, though, so it made me smile.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

This episode was not as good as the past one.

About Misao, i gotta say that it feels kinda wasted potencial. You know, many of the stuff that get misao down, really get some people down, even if it sounds ridiculous. the main problem is the reactions, they try so hard to make them funny by exagerating that they kill the joke.

I really hope they work on that, Misao just needs a lil bit polishing to be a good character, they just need to make things more serious.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Except they turn into a Ninninger in this episode.
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

To all those people mentioning continuity errors (like Toqger villains appearing), it's an anniversary episode, it's designed to be entertaining, messing around with a bit of continuity is fine in this case.

2 people gave this 1 star???? What what? It's Gokaiger. They made an appearance again. All of them. They freaking got back a whole team of 6 from 5 years ago just for two episodes! I thought in the beginning that only Captain Marvelous would appear, then I found out they all were coming back and that made me very excited. It seems all the actors naturally fell back into their roles. The best part was Gai mentioning how much of a pain Misao is.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Three things we can take away from this episode:

1) The next episodes are going to be lame while the Gokaiger return is fresh in our memories
2) This is probably going to be better than the Ghost finale
3) Each new team is going to shout [Something] SENTAI [Something-ger] for 25 episodes and then ask, "What's a sentai?" during the team-up movie/episode.

I sure do miss Gokaiger...that was a great season. Maybe they'll bring them back for anniversary stuff in the future?

Yamato shot the effing moon. If the next Sentai trademark turns out to be the right one, I hope that's part of their story :lol:
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Ashki wrote:
The gags in this ep including that bit where Ahim and Doc were casually cleaning their weapons mid-battle really made me miss the days of professional writers working on the shows.
Why do think that these shows aren't written by professional writers even now? You can't really say that without bringing the proof.
Hyboran Tigersen
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Quote: In order to protect others you must first learn to protect yourself.
Type: ISTP Crafter

Post by Hyboran Tigersen »

Yea, about that cannon.....

I hope he didn't hit the Animarium and Tetomu when it nicked the Moon 0.o!

It would be a not-so-happy crossover between the Zyuhogers and Gaorangers 0.o
Monkeyjb1988
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Time is the fire in which we burn.

Post by Monkeyjb1988 »

I liked both episodes. It wasn't the best team-up but still fun. I think the issue for me was that in combining a new power up storyline with a teamup storyline, the Gokaiger got a little short shaffed. However, the parts they were in shined and even without the Gokaiger, that was still one of the better new power up stories (the fact there was actually a story behind it helped). I'm sure the fact the two parter was a mix so there was more money put into it. If it was anything like Wild Force's Forever Red, Bandai probably put more money for the whale weapon (too lazy to look up name), allowing Toei to get 6 very specific actors on board for both episode.

All in all, not the best but still a good teamup and an actually fun new weapon/toy.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Phoenix512 wrote:Why do think that these shows aren't written by professional writers even now? You can't really say that without bringing the proof.
I mean, there is the fact that Toei's not hiring their usual group of veteran writers nowadays.

Jyuohger - Komura Junko (First time being a main writer)

Ghost - Fukuda Takurou (Who is this guy? Is he even the main writer anymore, or are Hasegawa Keiichi and Mouri Nobuhiro taking over?

Ninninger - Shimoyama Kento (First time being a main writer)

Drive - Sanjou Riku (Anime and toku veteran writer)

Toqger - Kobayashi Yasuko (Anime and toku veteran writer)

Gaim - Urobuchi Gen (Anime writer veteran)

So past 3 sentai and rider shows. Half of them are from writers who've had experience being the main writer for an anime or toku series. And half (the more recent half) are doing it for the first time. Are people being blown away by Ninninger, Ghost, and Jyuohger's writing?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I would agree that they aren't using veteran writers but those guys are probably still professional though regardless if they have done it for a year or two. The person should probably have used veteran instead of professional when making that statement.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I was expecting to hate the design of JyuohWhale. (I hated the Ninnin power up and the Toq Power up wasn't that much better.

I got to say, I like it. Disappointing that none of the others will have a power up, however it does fit the story for this series though.

Luka looks so different.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

Phoenix512 wrote:I would agree that they aren't using veteran writers but those guys are probably still professional though regardless if they have done it for a year or two. The person should probably have used veteran instead of professional when making that statement.
I think you have the wrong context for professional. By professional, I'm referring to conduct, not whether they get paid, and I'm a writer by trade, so I'm speaking from experience when I say these guys write like total amateurs. They don't have a proper series bible, competant arc outline, or good continuity editing. Instead, they have a basic concept of the characters and run with it, never bothering to develop them and almost always forgetting the story arcs. That's completely unprofessional behaviour. If you need moe detail, I can give it when I get back from my other job.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I'm curious to know why you think these guys are amateurs in your book. It's hard to say if they do or don't have some of the stuff that you mention since getting to the real truth about these matters is almost impossible. If you are referring to the Gokaiger's portrayal in these two episodes, the main writer did write 10 episodes of Gokaiger and the main writer of Gokaiger has done 4 episodes of Jyuohger so they probably qualified to do the characters right.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Yamoto, you maniac! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

Overall this episode was very enjoyable, and a good companion to last week's episode.

That said, since it had to feature the Sentai Versus standard curbstomp battle, we definitely lost some quality character time to meeting that quota. I think in the end the Gokaigers other than Marvelous only got a couple of lines each. Plenty of good moments though, especially Luka bugging out when Leo got too hands-on.

Meanwhile, we saw it coming last week, but this episode confirms that only Red gets a power-up. Considering he already had Gorilla, I'm disappointed about it. Seasons where there's only 1 power-up are bad enough, but seasons where only Red gets the power up are even worse (it was one of the big disappointments for Kyouruger). it really marginalizes the other characters.

And I'm legitimately confused/surprised that they let Yamoto blow off part of the moon. It's one heck of a way to show that his new arm cannon is powerful, but it's also creating a ton of rock fragments that are now going to impact the Earth.

Finally, what was up with Misao at the end? He was acting like he lost the keys to his mecha or something...

Side observation: it's interesting that the henshin cube effect for Whale is slightly different than the core Jyohgers. The Jyohgers have an effect where the edges of the cube draw outward until the cube is complete. Whale's cube instead unfolds over the user. There's no reason Toei had to do that differently, so it's neat that they did.
Kuchiri wrote:I was expecting to hate the design of JyuohWhale. (I hated the Ninnin power up and the Toq Power up wasn't that much better.

I got to say, I like it. Disappointing that none of the others will have a power up, however it does fit the story for this series though.

Luka looks so different.
I know, right? Toei finally did a cape that looks good; standing out without looking ridiculous. It's Shinkenger's Elvis Mode done right.
PHurricane wrote:-Zyuohgers did their own poses this week during the special Animal Hide-and-Seek opening segment, and Navi guest-starred during the ending segment. Hope I’m still around by the time they hit 3000 episodes to see if Navi really does come back.
-Navi was also adorable with the way its wings flew up in surprise when the Zyumans’ tails popped out.
Everything about Navi is adorable. If he's not back in 20 years I will legitimately be disappointed.
takenoko wrote:Are people being blown away by Ninninger, Ghost, and Jyuohger's writing?
Probably not.
takenoko wrote:Also no Toqger or Ninninger villains?
I think I have an answer for that: Power Rangers is filming right now, and we know they're using the Nininger footage and costumes, but they're also using Nero. It's entirely possible that the suits (besides Zett's) weren't available during the filming of this episode.
ponkan
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Shinken, Blade, Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Time, Akiba, GARO
Dreamy: Time Pink!
Favorite Actor?: Setsuko Hara
Favorite Band: The Beatles
Quote: "Don't smoke too much, drink too much, eat too much or work too much. We're all on the road to the grave -- but there's no need to be in the passing lane. " - Robert Orben
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by ponkan »

so.. does this mean they're going to re-appear in the next 5 years (in place of Akared, whose been in the past 3 anniversary series) then celebrate their 10th year by releasing a 10 years after v-cinema? if my delusions were true then that would be awesome! :lol: :lol:
"My heart goes GABU GABU!"

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”