Jyuohger 32 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:04 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
48%
☆☆☆☆
38%
☆☆☆
5%
☆☆
5%
5%

Total votes: 21
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 32 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 4.4 / 5 (15 votes)

Alt Title - Everyone tells off Misao episode

Man, that was another good episode of Jyuohger. Most series sag in the 30s, but I guess Jyuohger got that out of the way early. Let's see...

I love the monster design. When he turns around and goes "This is my true form" that was great, even if I wish the fake form had came into more of a play later on after the reveal. I liked the evil eyes on the helmets. Also, it was funny to see that Leo's not all that different when under the effects. I would have guessed that would have been Amu, who early one was hinted as having quite the poisonous tongue, but they haven't really done anything with that in a while. Nowadays, Amu's just the "practical" / "by any means necessary" one. As much as Misao bugs me, he's actually not a bad foil for the main group of characters.

The whole episode felt self-aware to me. Like it was Toei's responses to the audience criticism of MIsao as a character. But it worked, and it had some pretty good pay off. I really like this weird Misao x Tusk thing going on. Although I was totally caught off guard by how on-point the Misao x Yamato stuff was at the end.

The device where they had to fight back to back was pretty cool. Any excuse to shake up the hand to hand fighting is always admirable, I think.

Oh, Shimoyama wrote this, that makes sense... As problematic as Ninninger was, I do kind of feel like towards the end he understood the problems of putting too much focus on the red character. And he's got experience writing out an apology episode to the audience that deals with criticism. I like that he's got at least some awareness of the audience and it was a legitmately funny episode.

5 out of 5 for me.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Re: Jyuohger 32 released

Post by mholden020 »

I had to stop and consider the whole episode before stating an opinion on the episode. I wasn't overly entertained, but I wasn't beating a dent into the wall using my forehead, either.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned it after one of the early episodes, but it seems like the suit actors are doing a remarkable job of keeping the character's mannerisms while in the suit. The scene where they've been hit by the truth-beam and Yamato, Sela, and Amu are arguing was pretty funny even though they were in-suit. Plus, the cherry on top was the awkward moment after they'd returned to normal. That ability to keep a character going seamlessly from out-of-suit to in-suit and back is something that can make or break a certain character to me. Doc from Gokaiger suffered from this, in my eyes, because his subdued nature out-of-suit contrasted heavily with the wacky poses in-suit (extremely similar to Go-on Green's pee-dances, but they were the same suit actor). He was the only one I could never see as the suited up character of the entire Gokaiger lineup. That's not happening at all with this series, and it gets paid off in bunches with an episode like this.

HOWEVER, I secretly hope that Misao pulls a Gosei Knight and starts vanishing, returning only for the fights and major issues. I'd love to go back and count how many episodes have begun with him sulking in the corner of the tree house for the tiniest of problems. Instead of highlighting how he's irritating, why not focus on the three Jyumen stuck inside him? I'm sure they'd like to go home just like the other four.

Looking ahead though, we did manage to get through the summer without any really bad episodes. It's a bit of confidence that the run-up to the end should be fairly good!
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Wow, the sexual tension between Tusk, Yamato and Misao is getting interesting... O_O

While this ep was great (reminded me of that Chiaki and Ryuunosuke holding-hands episode), it might have been better if the monster got to play around with the politicians. But oh well, we got to see decent character progress with everyone, save for Leo.

Genis decides that it's time for new suits again :lol:

To the subbers: why did you have to put exclamation marks to the end of every line in the Jyuohgers' roll call and attack calls? Also: no new SHT intro??
Last edited by njb on Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Holy crap, a MOTW! This is the first new one in almost two months! :shock:
takenoko wrote:The whole episode felt self-aware to me. Like it was Toei's responses to the audience criticism of MIsao as a character. But it worked, and it had some pretty good pay off.
I hope you're right. Misao is okay in small quantities, but another 18 episodes of Manic Misao is going to be too much. If Toei really is fixing Misao, then it can't be a character arc for the whole rest of the series.
The device where they had to fight back to back was pretty cool. Any excuse to shake up the hand to hand fighting is always admirable, I think.
I'm a bit surprised the MOTW didn't spin them around once just to prove to the audience that the plan worked. But I agree, I like the thinking.
Farr
7X
Favorite series: Blade / Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim~W / Shinken
Dreamy: Umeko / Hana
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Farr »

Finally an Episode were Misao wasn't an utter Pain in the Butt.
Leo was kinda hilarious, when they called Misao out, and he was just waving his Head around like "wtf I have no script".

Only thing that left it falling short of a 5, is the Fact that they had to squeeze in WhaleForm again, we get it new PowerUp geez, made no Sense thou, if the Monster had enough Juice left to swap, he would had wiped the whole Team, since he obviously didn't there was no need for the WhaleForm in the first Place.
And again an underwhelming Mecha fight, use the Power for an stupid effect, no tactical advantage whatsoever, and just stay there and watch, see that they manage to break it and get ones Ass handed.
Kinda makes one wish, Naria would collect the Spirit of all the fallen Players in little Jar's and torture them for Eternity, since they wasted Genis-samas Energy, which she always tells them not to. :P
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Farr wrote:Only thing that left it falling short of a 5, is the Fact that they had to squeeze in WhaleForm again, we get it new PowerUp geez, made no Sense thou, if the Monster had enough Juice left to swap, he would had wiped the whole Team, since he obviously didn't there was no need for the WhaleForm in the first Place.
Whale has the team cannon. You're going to be seeing a lot of it for finishers.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Wow, this show has become the Doubutsu Sentai Shipgers.
njb wrote: While this ep was great (reminded me of that Chiaki and Ryuunosuke holding-hands episode)
Same here.
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

The biggest dilemma in Toku
- if protag doesn't use new power-up, people* will call him inefficient and wasting the new power-up
- if protag always uses new power-up, people* will call him overreliant on the new power-up

*includes me, of course
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

njb wrote:To the subbers: why did you have to put exclamation marks to the end of every line in the Jyuohgers' roll call and attack calls? Also: no new SHT intro??
In general, the only time we don't use punctuation is during times when a non-sapient life form is speaking (like a weapon or transformation device) or during songs. It's just one of the things I want to keep consistent for our subs. Like how we use italicization for thoughts, English words, and flashbacks.
Farr
7X
Favorite series: Blade / Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim~W / Shinken
Dreamy: Umeko / Hana

Post by Farr »

njb wrote:The biggest dilemma in Toku
- if protag doesn't use new power-up, people* will call him inefficient and wasting the new power-up
- if protag always uses new power-up, people* will call him overreliant on the new power-up

*includes me, of course
And that's why I loved Dekaranger #SwatModeForever :lol:
As well as Shinkenger, were it at least got shared to a Degree, and wasn't as akward as the GoldenGirls in ToQger...
Zenuku5
Infinity
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Koji Seto
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Let's make this showy!

Post by Zenuku5 »

I honestly felt the joke with the 'tension' between the Yamato, Misao, Tusk 'love'/combi triangle to be a little heavy-handed. I understand if others don't feel the same way but for me the joke just felt a little much after Leo already made such a joke about the sudden confession of it. I do admit though I find it somewhat amusing that the word love was used for this. In a weird way it reminds me of ToQger where ToQ 6 kissed that one guy on screen. While I did mention how I felt the 'love triangle' joke to be heavy-handed, I must confess to some curiosity as to how exactly Tusk 'loves' Misao. Simply as good deep almost brothers in awkward arms or do they actually mean to suggest something else? All in all; it was a fun episode but the jokes of it kind of got old quickly for me. So I give it a 4 out of 5.
mholden020 wrote:Instead of highlighting how he's irritating, why not focus on the three Jyumen stuck inside him? I'm sure they'd like to go home just like the other four.
Just a little mention, TECHNICALLY they aren't 'stuck inside him' at least not as far as we know. It was said explicitly that they are simply in his head, his own imagination rather than that they were actually haunting him. I do though miss those three and the fun level of crazy they added to Misao. So here's hoping they pop up at least one more time as like a possible 'good bye' to them in a sense.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

Maybe Misao can get better adjusted and then the three "imaginary" spirits break the news that they are real and don't have to worry about that news upsetting him anymore, only to have Misao regress into a basket case.
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Well, very fun episode, but I suppose im not th only one that wanted to see Misao hit by the reverse beam.

The Last joke was indeed fun.

My only problem with this, is that well, i have seen Jetman, so this episode while good, is not as good as Jetman's.
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

takenoko wrote: Oh, Shimoyama wrote this, that makes sense... As problematic as Ninninger was, I do kind of feel like towards the end he understood the problems of putting too much focus on the red character. And he's got experience writing out an apology episode to the audience that deals with criticism. I like that he's got at least some awareness of the audience and it was a legitmately funny episode.
Good to know this is his "I'm sorry for too much of Takaharu," hated that bastard for being annoying as crap.
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B
Kurokage X
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Garo Makai Senki
Dreamy: Kiriko
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: Yakuza Video Games
Quote: "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why its called the present." Unknown
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Kurokage X »

But to get into the subject, Loved this episode as it feels like character development for Misao, if you were to call it that but whatever, I love it and I love that guy for being easily depress because he can pick himself up, with motivation anyway, and he'll soon no longer feel easily depress whenever something doesn't work in his favor
Currently Watching
Super Sentai: Kiramager
Kamen Rider: Saber
Ultraman: Z

Finished Watching
Super Sentai: Go Onger-Gokaiger, Kyoryuger Onward
Kamen Rider: Kuuga, Kabuto, Kiva, Fourze Onward
Ultraman: Gaia, Nexus, X, Orb-R/B

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”