Jyuohger 36 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:11 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
21%
☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆
21%
☆☆
7%
7%

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 36 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 4.47 / 5 (19 votes)

Alt title: Just read the comic, it's basically this episode in a nutshell

Kind of an average episode, but I had some fun times with it, despite some very cringeworthy moments. Both because I'm socially awkward enough to see some of myself in Mami, but also because I recently had to deal with a real life fujoshi.

Alright, let's talk about Mami. She's totally ungrounded from reality. And she's totally in love with a guy who obviously doesn't reciprocate the feelings. (She kind of reminds me of someone I knew in college). But she's an interesting foil for Tusk and Amu. And also Misao come to think about it.

Speaking of which, how serious are we supposed to take Misao's bisexuality? I mean, that's cool if that's where they want to take his character. But I worry that it's just there for laughs, which would be typical of Japanese entertainment. Also, would Misao be the first openly bisexual Sentai hero?

Other notes
-Cubal's new hand. I mean, it's right there. How does Genis and the rest not see it? (Genis probably sees it, he seems to know everything Cubal is planning. And the hint dropping is not subtle). To be fair, I wouldn't have thought to look at the hand if the camera hadn't focused on it.
-I think Amu's been watching the Sailor Moon and Utena (or someone has in this episode). Her tossing her top hat was particularly Tuxedo Maskish.
-And this is straight out of my notes: WTF? Tusk and Amu's fight choreography was bad. That looked awful. The first time he picks her up, it looked like he was going to slam her on the ground, instead, she just flips over for no reason.
-The police siren that plays when the people are looking at Tusk and Mami is pretty good.
-Why is Sela trolling Amu? Is this revenge for all the trolling that Amu's done so far?
-Sela sexy witch costume and Leo sexy maid costume.
-4/5 stars
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Jyuohger 36 released

Post by PHurricane »

I was dreading this episode, but it wasn't terrible. The not-quite culture clash of the Zyumans not knowing about Halloween was fun. Pity we didn't spend a little more time on that.

Mami may have been ungrounded from reality, but I thought she was a pretty good representation of a pre-teen girl who is desperate to have a fairy-tale romance. I'm not sure why everyone thought it was a good idea to entertain her delusion for so long, apart from plot reasons, but it did give way to some nice moments for the other characters. Sela had more personality in this episode than I can remember, and there was some nice attention to detail in the pancake scene where Yamato and Sela were using utensils but Leo was just munching on the pancakes with his hands. I admit that Misao's pining for Tusk throughout the episode made me chuckle, but I agree that it would be a waste if they spent so much of the time for his character development on his relationship with Tusk (as well as Yamato) only to play it for laughs in the end. I don't find Misao as annoying as most people, but he definitely deserves better than what he's gotten.

Anyway, I figured that Mami would transfer her crush to Amu once they had their little chat.

I think I read something early-on in the series that the monsters were supposed to be homages to the previous 39 series. Not sure if that was true or not, but this one seemed to be an obvious reference to Kyouryuuger. I mean, the monster used practically the same sound effects and footwork from their transformation dance.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Throughout the episode, Mami was a frakin Scrappy.

Thank Zod, Bird!Kaixa will return next episode.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

PHurricane wrote:I think I read something early-on in the series that the monsters were supposed to be homages to the previous 39 series. Not sure if that was true or not, but this one seemed to be an obvious reference to Kyouryuuger. I mean, the monster used practically the same sound effects and footwork from their transformation dance.
You know, I kept wondering "Does this feel like Kyouryuuger here, or is this just me?" If that's true, then that would explain it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

takenoko wrote:Alright, let's talk about Mami. She's totally ungrounded from reality. And she's totally in love with a guy who obviously doesn't reciprocate the feelings. (She kind of reminds me of someone I knew in college). But she's an interesting foil for Tusk and Amu. And also Misao come to think about it.

Speaking of which, how serious are we supposed to take Misao's bisexuality? I mean, that's cool if that's where they want to take his character. But I worry that it's just there for laughs, which would be typical of Japanese entertainment. Also, would Misao be the first openly bisexual Sentai hero?
I wouldn't say Mami is ungrounded from reality, she just idolizes fantasy too much. She wants the perfect ideal prince who will look cool and protect her and treat her like a princess. That's Disney's bread and butter man, it's what a lot of little girls want. It's romantic love at its purest, being interested in someone for the emotional connection, not for any sexual reasons. That's why it's so easy for her to transfer her emotions from Tusk to Amu even though Amu is a girl, it's not anything to do with gender, it's to do with what they represent to you. It's actually quite similar to courtly love which I doubt was intentional but still an interesting comparison.

And I don't think there's really any notion of sexuality in this episode for Misao. He just doesn't want his buddy Tusk to leave him/pay more attention to someone else. Recent sentai heroes have been pretty non-love-interest-y with regards to them falling in love with another person (love potions/one-sided love from anther person and lawnmowers excepted). They tend to be pretty much a blank slate in regards to sexuality partially cause kids really don't care, but mostly cause gay relationships are still rare/frowned upon in Japanese media. That's what people invented fanfiction for anyways.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Would you say she's in love with being in love?

I dunno, would you say Misao is just friends with Yamato or just friends with Tusk? I don't know much about human relations, but it seems like the exclusivity factor that forces him to choose between Yamato and Tusk seems more romantic than generic friendship?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Man, what a waste of an episode. I know a breather was needed between arcs, but this was a very bad way of going about it. Annoying from start to end.

I do however award a point for the unintentionally hilarious scene of a samba playing while the streets are erupting in jets of fire. :lol:
takenoko wrote:
PHurricane wrote:I think I read something early-on in the series that the monsters were supposed to be homages to the previous 39 series. Not sure if that was true or not, but this one seemed to be an obvious reference to Kyouryuuger. I mean, the monster used practically the same sound effects and footwork from their transformation dance.
You know, I kept wondering "Does this feel like Kyouryuuger here, or is this just me?" If that's true, then that would explain it.
About the only way they could make it even more of a tribute would be to throw in dinosaurs somewhere. :P
Lunagel wrote:And I don't think there's really any notion of sexuality in this episode for Misao. He just doesn't want his buddy Tusk to leave him/pay more attention to someone else.
Agreed. I didn't get any more of a vibe than that. Tusk is the only person Miasao can relate to. He may be friends with Yamoto, but Tusk is the only person like him.
Vashiev20
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Drive
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: DekaYellow
Favorite Band: One ok rock
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Dont touch my taco, Im gonna touch your taco
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Vashiev20 »

This episode wasnt that bad. The main plot of it revovled around Tusks awkwardness, and everyone elses refusal to get involved. beyond that it was a good breather between arcs. i loved Sela's costume and was taken aback by Leo's. damn he makes a good looking maid. I loved the bit where sela made leo's head change
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

So we've tied the halloween episode into the camp gay monster episode that happens to be a kyoryuger reference.

Sela in that witch costume though...
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Vashiev20 wrote:was taken aback by Leo's. damn he makes a good looking maid.
Thus making it the scariest costume of them all. :P
Sinkuu
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Quote: Let's make it Showy!

Post by Sinkuu »

5 min in, the whole samba monster on fire... it HAS to be a kyoruger ref.

also, if you want to go back to refs... the MOTW with the giant mouth, EASILY reminded me of a MOTW from a previous series, just redone.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Are you talking about the ZyuRanger pig thing that eats weapons?
Cyborg-Lucario
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Black/Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze/Gokaiger
Dreamy: Garou (Ookami Blue)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Cyborg-Lucario »

This was a pretty good episode for a breather between arcs. I'm really not sure about any of the sexual things for the main Rangers. Because like Lunagel said so doesn't kids care about that.
I'm just glad that they didn't let her make any advancements. (The police sirens was a fun touch)

Also, that Kyuryuger reference, not only does the monster use the same sound effects and dance in the same way as when the Kyuryuger transforms, but according to the Power Rangers Wiki so is he also based on the Deboth's final form.
A cyborg pokémon who may or may not be a Kamen Rider.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I loved this episode. Kamen Rider Ghost couldn't do a comedic episode to save its life, but the Jyuohgers make it seem as effortless as breathing. I don't know if the actors are better at it or if the director is better at it.

Also, Amu/Tusk is still bubbling under, although Witch Sela/Maid Leo was pretty cool.
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

takenoko wrote: -Cubal's new hand. I mean, it's right there. How does Genis and the rest not see it? (Genis probably sees it, he seems to know everything Cubal is planning. And the hint dropping is not subtle). To be fair, I wouldn't have thought to look at the hand if the camera hadn't focused on it.
I'm assuming, at this point, that Genis is just playing dumb, similar to
Spoiler
Daimou playing dumb about his knowledge of Hakumenrou's betrayal in Kakuranger
. I can't believe that Genis is so stupid he can't completely see through Cubal, and it's all leading to some master plan.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”