Jyuohger 42 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

☆☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆☆
43%
☆☆☆
14%
☆☆
7%
No votes

Total votes: 14
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 42 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 4.69 / 5 (16 votes)

Alt title: At least the cockpit roll call was cool

Every week, I'm baffled by how the storytelling is done in Jyuohger. So they introduce Yamato's dad, but don't openly acknowledge it. If this were a better show, I'd assume they were seeding the plot. But it feels like there've been too many times when they start a story, forget about it for weeks, then suddenly go "Oh yeah, let's go back to that thing we kind of mentioned a month ago."

I'll have to admit that I thought Yamato's dad was dead or Bado. Who knew that he's alive and a doctor? Also, the guy's a fucking busy doctor. Stop breaking his balls about not being there for your mom's death, you prick, Yamato. What exactly is your characterization anyway? I don't even know anymore. I hope they'll take a week off of Yamato's personal life drama next week to tell a story for one of the Jyumans. I don't care who, just make it about a Jyuman and make it not suck!

So as my alt title suggests, I'm not wild about this episode. It wasn't terrible, but you basically took the most interesting character in the show and basically made him insane for the sake of it. I guess it makes sense for Cubal to be a coward, but is a suicide run on the planet really the best way to survive Genis's wrath? What happened to teaming up with the Jyuohgers to beat Genis?

Speaking of plots that won't matter till later, Azauld just walked off with 4 cubes. Way to fumble that, Bado! It's a mess! There's never any set up or major pay offs. Cubal dies off like a monster of the week. It was kind of funny to see Naria be salty when she brought Cubal back to life. But man, what a waste of a good villain. He's not even outwitted, he just goes nuts and is offed by the Jyuohgers. Genis didn't even have to lift a finger. And it's weird, since they spend all this time showing Cubal being deceitful and manipulative, building him up to be this great traitor. And they spend most of the time having Genis be a bored guy who walks around on crazy stilts. Like maybe they should have built Genis up to explain why Cubal's so afraid of him?

But back to the positives for this episode. We seem to finally have a redemptive arc for Micchan. We even get a return of his cool animal chorus. The only dumb thing is that instead of Micchan explaining his new change, we have Yamato explaining it to us. Got to love Jyuohger's Tell not Show policy.

Final nitpicks: Cubal and JyuohWhale doing Wing Chun kung fu with bad effects that don't match their limited movements and the mecha levitating up from the ground, since they probably can't gracefully get up on their own while in those bulky suits.

4 stars. Riddled with flaws, but it has some good moments.

Preview
Spoiler
Why do they keep their identities secret? Is there any reason?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Re: Jyuohger 42 released

Post by takenoko »

I mean, rewatching the episode as I translate, Micchan's epiphany makes no sense. Up to the point of his epiphany, he's unconscious. And before that, he was mad with fear from Genis. Knowing where the road ends, it'd have been nice if they build up the road to that point.

Instead, he just talks to his chorus and decides to change with no inspiration, insight, exterior influence, or new knowledge. I called it a character arc, but it's more like a character whiplash sharp-turn change. Do you see why I feel like the show doesn't understand how to tell a story?
eijiman
IXA

Post by eijiman »

Well, I think that there are sometimes it seems like our brain notices things before we conciously do, Misao is able to speak to himself in a more direct way, so he might nknow everything the animals told him, just needed to be reminded.

Or maybe the animals are actually the spirits of the Jyumans.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Yay, a mecha episode! I don't think there was a singular jaw-dropping moment (though the mecha roll call was neat), but I really appreciate these episodes where there are extended mecha fights with more than one robo, rather than being the usual wham-bam-thankyou-ma'am fights that normally end an episode.
takenoko wrote:What happened to teaming up with the Jyuohgers to beat Genis?
Did you miss the part last week where Genis beat everyone down with one hand behind his back, without ever breaking a sweat? Cubal's master plan, a year in the making and bringing together virtually everyone and everything capable of fighting Genis, failed spectacularly because Genis is so much stronger than everyone else. Cubal has every reason to be afraid; he's shown his hand and is vastly outmatched.
takenoko wrote:Preview
Spoiler
Why do they keep their identities secret? Is there any reason?
Spoiler
I imagine because they're extra-dimensional animals, and would rather not have the various world governments hunting them down?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, but they didn't have the real Misao with them! Maybe he's the key to victory!
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

I was a little disappointed that Leo let Naria go just because she was female, although Sela kicking him in the gut was a good reminder to him on how dumb his attitude is. They could have tried to mess with her head: "You know Naria, Genis seems pretty strong, yet he doesn't seem to want to spend any time looking for you. You seem to care for him, it's a shame he doesn't feel the same way." Maybe if it was Amu and Tusk found her.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

this week, the jyuohgers awaken their grandpower: Unity! by realizing all are 1 and connected their bonds strengthen just in time for christmas obligatory filler!

so yamato is NOT a jyuman, since no one wants to admit they were wrong on him being a mixed breed. his dad is alive and well, and didnt die in the jyuman world but instead was too busy with work to see his wife die and yamato has never forgiven him, hence explaining his belief how were all connected and should be there for each other.

as for misao ... is it a change with no reason? whether the jyuman spirits are real or not, its safe to say they are facets of his mind. and at this point where he likely felt the most left out and helpless his inner voices, regardless of form, told him he wasnt so weak and the only thing that was preventing him from being strong was himself. plus those are his deerest and likely only friends. and! sentai rule no#1! if your in danger and need help we'll come running, no matter where or how far, we'll be there to help. so, this if anything, even if they didnt build up to as much, this change of character was coming, just too dragged out. i blame the 40th/2000th episode. i think they wasted too much time halting the plot to have an epic moment for that episode.

also yamato admits he's immature likely about not forgiving his dad. perhaps that will be HIS final battle.

jyuoh edit!
i was right bado sees something we dont in azauld. and since azauld absorbed the cube animals he has collected, i think there IS something there. and WOW she was right THERE and they didnt attack naria? and she put like 5 coins in him too.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

^
Naria is a magical girl who does her mojo so quickly that the Jyuohgers have no time to react. The screen time is slowed down so that we can follow it.
kevinlafriday
Infinity

Post by kevinlafriday »

Why do I get this feeling that the last boss will be Azauld?
You know, he might come off like a brawl-with-no-brain type, but I always think something is off whenever he's on screen.

Especially (in this episode) when he said at the opening "This is my first time on this planet"
What does he mean by that? Didn't he aid several monsters already on Earth?
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

This was a good episode, but it needed something extra towards the end. I was expecting Kubar to turn into something else when he became a giant. He seemed to be so bent on killing Genis that I thought he had some kind of special power inside of him that would act like a mega evolution to reflected the merging of evils. I also think that for as many coins used to make giant Kubar that he would have either grown much larger or eventually exploded.

As for Yamato's dad, he was an ass and I hate how in real life people can be nothing like the parent of the same gender. There was no mention of Yamato having friends or why the dad was such a prick. I k now doctor's have to be emotionless a lot of the time, but I'd take Dr. House over Yamato's father.

I think that Azald has ties to Jyuhland and that he was brought to another planet long ago.

I'm not sure about the new VS movie. It seems like the anniversary angle is going to be milked a lot with the ultimate evil, but the success with Ninninger's ratings, I'd think that we're going to need a lot of cameos to offset things. I'll still watch it to say that I did, but with a lot of salt.

As tomorrow is Christmas, there is a question that has been bugging me for a long time. What's the deal with the two different color greens? I may be color blind, but everyone I know says that some green heroes are a greyish color. The best example for comparison is during ToQger VS Kyoryuger and Souji was beside Hikari. Is there a reason for alternating the greens or am I going mad(der)? Has anyone else been confused by this detail?

Happy Holidays
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by midorininger »

you can also see the different in greens between jyuoh elephant and gokai green. it goes by the seriousness of the show maybe. but its not just greens that have this issue.
trycera ranger and tenma ranger were the same blue but! ninja blue was a lighter blue than those 2. and i do believe hurricanblue and jyuoh shark are the same lighter blue.
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by resop2 »

Maybe they should do "hue" based seasons?

The Mizugers: a water based team with water-colored hues.
The Sepiagers: a team based on an American western them with sepia tinged hues.
The Pastelgers: a team based out in the country with colors of pastel saturation.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

The strangest thing is happening to me with this show: I enjoy it, but I haven't looked forward to a new episode for a month or so. This wasn't a bad episode at all, and it was obviously a major milestone in the story but the 50-week season seems to wear these shows pretty thin late in the running. I can't help but wonder if they'd be more exciting through the whole year if they switched to a 25-week season or something, but it seems like the Summer Slump really took its toll on me. :oops:
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by midorininger »

i still say they dragged out the plot so jyuoh whale would appear for ep 2000, which they could have had wild tousai dodeka king happen then .... and have that team up with kenzan gokaioh and do the same special finisher ... but meh!

and now we have a stand still due to chirstmas, which ... i hope they mistake santa in the same humorous way as the gokaiger did.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Kinda a pity since I was hoping Cubal's final fight would be him piloting a giant robot instead of being a giant himself.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”