Jyuohger 43 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:33 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
71%
☆☆☆☆
29%
☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 17
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Jyuohger 43 released

Post by Lunagel »

Hoshinger wrote: The next episode's title got me wondering about a translation. I watched Over Time's sub because it was out sooner and the Jyuohgers are called champions and not monarchs and I was wondering why that was. Champion sounds better than monarch because monarchs are rulers and if a ranger was royalty and never let you live it down then that takes away from the other characters. Champion is easier to remember and the Jyuohgers are warriors and not rulers.
The Japanese word used is 王者 "ouja" which is made up of the kanji for "king" or "ruler" and the kanji for "person". When you say the lion is king of the jungle, you'd use the word ouja. "Champion" is a bit liberal of a translation in my opinion. We used "monarch" to keep it gender-neutral although in retrospect I think "ruler" would have worked as well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Also, there's a literal English phrase for this "King of the jungle". Or even "King of Beasts".

To use your logic, I usually think of a champion as someone who's won a competition. A winner. The Jyuohgers didn't win their Marks of the Kings. They didn't beat out all the other Jyumans from their respective ecological territory. The other definition of champion would work if they were championing some idea, like a cause or a belief. You can be an advocate for the forest or the jungle, but a champion of the forest or champion of the jungle?

Just my opinion anyway. Sure, champion sounds good, but I'm not too clear on how they arrived at that translation. Ouja means a king or monarch or ruler, it's that simple:

王者 【おうじゃ】 (n) king, monarch, ruler, (P)

Edit:
http://jisho.org/search/%E7%8E%8B%E8%80%85

I see that there's a secondary definition on jisho that says "reigning champion". Maybe they just looked it up and missed the "reign" part of the meaning?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I talked with a native speaker and he said that although it's not in the dictionary, the word ouja *can* mean champion in the context of a tournament or competition. So the Olympic medalists are sometimes referred to as ouja. However, in the sense of some kind of land or area, and especially in referring to animals, king is a better translation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ah okay, that's good to know. Still seems more like a metaphor than a regular definition though when used to mean champion.
I mean, I see it being used here more as nicknames than anything else:
http://www.asahi.com/olympics/2016/special/super16/

I know the Olympics aired this year, but I don't really feel like Jyuohger made any effort to reference it, if that's the argument.

Anyway, I was having some shower thoughts, and I do get why monarch isn't as sexy a word as champion. It sounds like we're about to discuss politics or history.

If we did Jyuohger again, maybe just using kings and queens would have worked?
JyuohEagle, King of the Open Skies / JyuohGorilla, King of the Jungle / JyuohWhale, King of Kings

Oh yeah, we didn't even use monarch for JyuohWhale.

Then for Sela it'd be like JyuohShark, Queen of the Wild Seas. Or JyuohTiger, Queen of the Snow Fields. I think I'd be okay with that.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Apparently it's really gotta be like regulated tournament kinda thing. With just the brawls the Sentai do, it's more common to use 勝者 "victor", instead.

I still think "ruler" would've been okay too.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ruler would have been okay, I think monarch is sexier than that. And kings and queens probably would have been most sexy.

I keep going over champion in my mind. So is their JyuohWhale the Champion of Champions? It's funny, I'm checking and it looks like Oujanaka no Ouja is a phrase, but the most popular Google result is Jyuohger. I looked up Cyrus the Great, a known King of Kings, and apparently his title was Sho-ou no Ou 諸王の王 which they define as Ou no Naka no Ou or Ouja no Ou. I just assumed they were going for a historic reference, that it didn't occur to me that the phrase wasn't really used that way.

I still kind of wish we hadn't gone with Mark of the King for the cube name. It's good and works, but I still kind of feel like there could have been something better.

Going back to Jyuman and Human being linguistic equivalents. I forgot to mention that they're also pretty similar in the way they're written in Japanese. Jyuman would be "jyuuman" and Human would be "hyuuman". Again, if the base word is "man" you'd pluralize it as "men", like Batmen or Supermen or Spidermen. But if it's supposed to be a different word for Human, then you'd pluralize it like Humans.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

i liked the choice of words for monarch vs champion. champion doesnt have the flare that monarch does, plus, how often do you hear monarch? makes it more unique. i saw subs on youtube by a another sub group and they used champion, and it didnt roll as well. im very particular about what subs ill watch. some people take too much leeway on how they translate. i recall an episode of ygo 5ds in which the only sub i could find for the EP has 1 of the twins saying he never saw yusei cry like a bitch before. like really?

GUIS subs are pretty direct, and i liked what they did with jetman.

but i believe when i saw the japanese g1 transformers, it was donte by azreal here on tv nihon. then much later i bought the shout factory subs. yuck. you guys did a much better job. simply because your translations flow more fluently when read. plus you do translation notes either during or at the end of the episode.
choosing jyu of zyu made more sense to me. even if official media goes with the z.

it seemed mario was heading to canada? i mean where else could he have been going?
Hoshinger
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Dreamy: Luka Milfy

Post by Hoshinger »

Lunagel wrote:
Hoshinger wrote: The next episode's title got me wondering about a translation. I watched Over Time's sub because it was out sooner and the Jyuohgers are called champions and not monarchs and I was wondering why that was. Champion sounds better than monarch because monarchs are rulers and if a ranger was royalty and never let you live it down then that takes away from the other characters. Champion is easier to remember and the Jyuohgers are warriors and not rulers.
The Japanese word used is 王者 "ouja" which is made up of the kanji for "king" or "ruler" and the kanji for "person". When you say the lion is king of the jungle, you'd use the word ouja. "Champion" is a bit liberal of a translation in my opinion. We used "monarch" to keep it gender-neutral although in retrospect I think "ruler" would have worked as well.
Make sense. I guess it's better to use neutral words in case there are multiple meanings. I still want to see fan art of Misao as the individual animal forms because the visors look a little clunky when you get to crocodile.
Technically, the tiger is the king of the jungle as it doesn't fear water and has a stronger roar. Not mention Amu seems to be a strong female warrior and not overly girly if she was pink. In my opinion.
Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

Wow, that rating! Is this episode one of the better rated for this series in this site?

In my case, I can't get over the way they choose to reveal zyumans to Mario. Seems weirdly forced.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”