Jyuohger 44 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:30 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
No votes
☆☆☆☆
33%
☆☆☆
7%
☆☆
33%
27%

Total votes: 15
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 44 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 4.71/ 5 (17 votes)

Alt title: Holiday clip show

Skip through it to see the Azauld parts. The rest isn't important. I'm honestly surprised that there's this much to summarize. I mean, maybe there's not really, plotwise.

The sponsor text asking "What happened between Yamato and his father?" as if it were a big mystery made me feel frustrated. It feels both obvious and not very well established at the same time. Sure, we've been given hints with Yamato's mom dying and other stuff about Yamato's life, but we've only really met his father once. So there's not a lot of emotional weight attached to the father character. Nor is there a lot of emotional weight to Yamato (for me) since he's a bland vanilla guy.

I just worry that they're setting up for an emotional payout that isn't going to happen. Like maybe we should be more focused on Yamato and his relationship to Mario or Bado. Also, is Bado going to die? Because that'll also be an undeserved emotional payoff, since we barely know the guy too. They set him up as this big mystery figure, but since there's no real connection between him and the other characters (besides Yamato) it doesn't feel like him dying will mean anything?

Anyway, that's all for future episodes to work out. This was a clip show and not a good one at that, so it's a bad 1 star episode for me.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Jyuohger 44 released

Post by PHurricane »

I can’t believe they actually changed the credits to say Mario was ZyuohHuman.

I got my hopes up with the opening sequence that we might have finally turned the corner on mopey Misao. Not quite.

I thought it was a decent clip show. The Azauld and Bado stuff was relatively new material, and by putting some of those scenes next to the Misao flashbacks, it made me appreciate that the groundwork for Genis having a link to Earth through Azauld before this Blood Game started has been in place for a while. I'd say it's more of a Chekov's gun situation than good foreshadowing, but it's there nonetheless.
redfarmer
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Kyoryuger, Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Drive
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by redfarmer »

I was so excited about a JyuohHuman. In the past, sentai has had some great episodes centered around wanna-bes: AbarePink, ShinkenBrown, and Pink Buster come to mind. So, I thought, what awesome episode are they going to do around Mario?

And then it was a bloody clip show episode. Damn it.

Not only that, but they slipped in just enough new stuff about Azauld I couldn't really not watch this episode. And the stuff with Bado just came out of nowhere. Larry practically spelled out the end of his character for all of us to see so we won't have to be surprised or anything. Thanks for that.
Watched:
Dairanger, Kakuranger, Dekaranger, Magiranger, Boukenger, Gekiranger, Shinkenger, Goseiger, Gokaiger, Go-busters, Kyoryuger, Jyuohger
Ryuki, 555, Blade, Kabuto, Fourze, Wizard, Drive

Watching:
Ohranger, Kyuuranger
Den-o, Ex-Aid
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

PS. No front page post yet :)

Not only was this a horrible clip show (really, the Jyumans have to remind each other their fights against Cubal, Azauld, Naria and Genis???), they also had to feature their tie-in toys for the movie. Sigh... :(

Nevertheless, Uncle Mario was a fun watch here. If only JyuohHuman got to fight some Moeba, y'know?

Spoiler
Azauld was the one beaten by the whale Jyuman?! Did not expect that but maybe we should have given the fact that their belts were... the same
Last edited by njb on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

funny thing is, I remember aaaaall the way back when this season was starting that I half jokingly asked why the human character wasn't "jyuoh human" with his own face plastered on his costume.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

There's something inherently distasteful about having a clip show immediately after a break. I get that the staff needs and deserves a break, but there has to be a better way to do this. Film episodes out of order or something. Following a break with zero calorie filler really kills any momentum the show has going on.

Anyhow, I will give it a 2 for at least throwing in some new material, avoiding this being a pure clip show. That's a level of care that we haven't been fortunate enough to get in some other seasons. However Azauld's arc here feels forced; he's been a one-track supporting character until now. So that he now has something interesting going on comes off as too little, too late. But we'll see where the writers are going as they resolve it. Hopefully they do something to make it worthwhile.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

My gut feeling is that this got filmed prior to learning that there was going to be a week-long break.

Why can't we have a recap episode with additional material that got edited out in previous episodes?
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I doubt it. Toei is way too good at scheduling cliffhangers before episode breaks to not see them coming. You think the episode airing on New Years caught them by surprise?
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

actually for a clip show it works nicely. they arent just chilling reflecting on the past battles/year, they are coming clean on a secret theyve been keeping from someone who cares for them. and ... that theyve been mooching off of. which in japanese TV never seems to be a big deal with strangers suddenly move in and its ok. (tenchi muyo being the worst case of this)

i would have liked it a bit more if 1 of the jyuman had said something about mario's impressions of animals. however im glad mario mentioned the tails being visiable the whole time.

but it still bags to ask if genis came to earth or it azauld was out in space somewhere?

Spoiler
but bado using the jyuoh whale powers! it can be shared!
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

I thought we were past the point of clipshows.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

One thing that has been bothering me for a while: in the opening sequence when the Jyuohgers are walking together and change into their human forms it looks like Sela's head fin turns into an ahoge and Sela is not an ahoge character.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

whats an ahoge?

i kind of wish this had happened during the lame filler in the mid to late 20s. although its sort of like when the kids got outted in megaranger and had to destroy the nezirezia(sp?) before they missed graduation. then no one cared that they were megarangers.
in this case if the whole town knew they were fuxxies i wonder how that may have effected things. though it doesnt seem sentai members are part of the community as much as they were in older series either. but flash backs to the kids in the tusk episode, and the recent leon, and even the xmas ep the people touched there could have been used as a plot key to get the people who were afraid to change their minds and trust the fuzzies.

btw ... what happened with the leon/sera rivalary?
resop2
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shabon 5
2nd Favorite Series: Treasure 5

Post by resop2 »

An ahoge is an "idiot hair", a tuft of hair that sticks straight up with the rest of the hair flowing down. An ahoge character in anime is usually an airhead carefree character.

As for Sela/Leo, when Leo freed Naria because he wouldn't hurt a defenseless woman Sela expressed her feelings about this attitude by giving Naria a super stiff kick and didn't care that Leo was in between her and Naria. Too bad that it looks like they will keep Naria as a doormat. If Emu Amu and Tusk had found her they might have also let her go free but they would have played massive mind games with her. Then the revelations from Azwald could have convinced Naria to turn babyface.
Last edited by resop2 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

resop2 wrote: If Emu and Tusk had found her they might have also let her go free but they would have played massive mind games with her.
Emu? I think you want the other toku series, friend. Try the next door down.;)
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

I think he/she means Amu.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”