Jyuohger 46 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:03 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
44%
☆☆☆☆
25%
☆☆☆
19%
☆☆
6%
6%

Total votes: 16
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 46 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 4.38/ 5 (13 votes)

Alt title: Yamato realizes he's a bad son, then throws a tantrum

So the revelation that Yamato's dad was busy saving Bado was the thing that made Yamato realize that he's been a dick to his dad all this time? At this point, I think it's probably fair to say that Yamato is a pretty shitty character. He's boring and his actor isn't great, yet everything revolves around him. His mom dies, so what he does is abandon his only other direct family. Why does Uncle Mario enable Yamato's childishness instead of telling Yamato to make up with his dad?

The cherry on this shitty characterization is that it's not enough to know that Yamato's dad is a doctor who's probably busy saving people's lives. Yamato only accepts the situation because Yamato's dad saves Bado's life, who in turn Yamato's life. Before, I just thought Yamato was vanilla, but now I think he's just a selfish prick who's only superficially virtuous.

How did Tusk get the whale gun from Amu? Oh, Leo gets to fire it at the end?

The new Jyuoh Cubes are just recolors. Lame.

What's with all the first person shots in this episode? Someone going through an experimental phase? Although, the Jyumans running across the buildings to finish off Azauld is a pretty fun shot. That's the kind of over the top stuff that makes tokusatsu fun. One little detail that I like is that the Jyumans using the Mark of the Great King does something different than when Yamato uses it. I checked and Azauld got frozen because it was Bado who used the cannon last time.

What a disappointing conclusion to any mystery behind the Bado/Yamato connection. Not only is it anti-climactic, it removed any likeable features that the main character had. Also, I can't believe that right after Misao and the Jyumans go to fight Azauld, they cut back to Yamato/his dad/and Bado just standing around talking. It's not the time for a leisurely conversation! And then even after dad leaves for more urgent matters, Bado continues into his backstory for Yamato. Yamato, your friends are in a life and death battle!

As a whole, kind of a wash for me. Liked anything that involved the Jyumans. Hated almost everything that involved Yamato. 3 / 5.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Jyuohger 46 released

Post by PHurricane »

I wouldn't say I enjoyed the Yamato parts, but I agreed with Yamato more often than not. Excuse or not, fighting Azauld was more important than checking on the dad that he didn’t even have a good relationship with. It was bizarre than Amu insisted he go somewhere else when they got curbstomped by Azauld with 7 fighters. For the last couple episodes, it felt like Amu was projecting her own feelings onto Yamato (about being separated from her mom) more than using her keen insight into Yamato's feelings.

I guess I’m okay with the reveal about the connection between Bado and Yamato’s dad. I can’t quite silence a little voice in the back of my head snarking that it’s way too convenient that Yamato’s dad took care of Bado the same night that Yamato’s mother died, but it does explain why Bado always seemed to pop up to protect Yamato. And I’m okay with Yamato still feeling like his dad was a bad parent, because the other flashback we got was how his dad always prioritized work over his family, which is why losing his mom devastated Yamato. His dad not showing up to say goodbye in time was the breaking point in Yamato’s relationship with his dad because it wasn't in good shape before that. In fact, I think I'll be more disappointed if over remaining episodes Yamato begins acting like he had the best father in the world.

I liked some of those POV shots during the battles. If they had used it a little more it might have gotten nauseating, but it reminded me of those rare glimpses we sometimes get of the giant-scale battles from inside the mecha cockpit.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Working on the Garo season 1 scripts again, I can't help but compare Yamato's story with Kaoru's. It's essentially the same story, but Kaoru's is done so much better. They actually take the time in Garo to set up the neglectful father, the epiphany that dad's not so bad, and the redemption in episode 9.

Jyuohger's spent a few episodes setting up that Yamato is a runaway, they did one thing about the mom being dead. But it really feels rushed somehow. It might just be a weakness of the writing, or that Yamato's dad is a busy doctor as opposed to being an artist (not to put down artists, but one is more life-or-death than the other).

Or maybe I feel more apathy towards Yamato because I had already seen his story in Garo, and his story just comes off unfavorable in the comparison.
TorchWood
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Pirate Sentai GoKaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by TorchWood »

Yamato is still better than Takaharu
Something happening on a show turns into a board comment.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Unfortunately I have to agree with takenoko as far as Yamato's development is concerned. The whole father arc has been poorly handled. I get where they are trying to go, but not enough has been done to support the emotional payoff they're trying to get from it. Never mind the fact that I'm equally perplexed why Yamato is throwing a temper tantrum. As a viewer it feels unsatisfying.

Meanwhile on a positive note, I liked that we got to see Genis' cunning side for once. He will not be challenged, and putting miracle grow coins in Azauld to force him out of the picture was a legitimately earned moment (as opposed to your standard "he's powerful/dangerous because he's the big bad" moments). It's a shame he hasn't had more of these throughout the season.
takenoko wrote:The new Jyuoh Cubes are just recolors. Lame.
Agreed. But we all knew it was coming.
What's with all the first person shots in this episode? Someone going through an experimental phase?
Whatver it was, I liked it. We got a different view of the fight, from both the hero and villain perspectives. And they did a really good job coupling it with wirework, giving Leo that super jump while keeping the wires hidden. So like the over-the-top pyrotechnics in major episodes, I wouldn't mind seeing this again so as long as it's something they use sparingly for important fights. (In the meantime, I do sort of wonder if Toei is getting on the VR train. But we'll see)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I don't pay attention to toy news, so I honestly didn't know what those Jyuoh Cubes were. Honestly, I thought they just weren't going to transform at all and just existed for plot purposes (the clue that Azauld was from the Earth or at least attacked the Earth previously). I probably would have preferred if they were used for some nameless mcguffin used to defeat the final big bads, but I understand that they need to sell toys.

Hmmm, no movie Jyuoh Cube in the TV series yet.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I don't pay attention to toy news, so I honestly didn't know what those Jyuoh Cubes were. Honestly, I thought they just weren't going to transform at all and just existed for plot purposes (the clue that Azauld was from the Earth or at least attacked the Earth previously). I probably would have preferred if they were used for some nameless mcguffin used to defeat the final big bads, but I understand that they need to sell toys.

Hmmm, no movie Jyuoh Cube in the TV series yet.
I don't pay attention to the toy news either. But we're in the final stretch of the series, so I'm not expecting new toys. And Toei was already recoloring them for the 100 animal attack used with Dodeka King.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

100 Gao Animals?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:100 Gao Animals?
I haven't watched Gaoranger, so while I'm familiar with the 100 Animal concept, I don't know if there's a second meaning to that or what.:P

100% Random Aside: The new Power Rangers series, Ninja Steel, has started airing. Surprisingly, they are using Baron Nero's suit, which should have been cool (it's a fantastic suit). However they instead did something absolutely horrific to it: they replaced Nero's Plague Doctor head with a new, generic-ish monster head. It's an abomination. :cry:

Rifaz
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Rifaz »

I find that first person shots to be awesome. It's something new, and it brings out my inner child.
"There was a ticking time bomb strapped to her chest... That's why she has a dynamite body!!" - Amakusa Shino
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote:100% Random Aside: The new Power Rangers series, Ninja Steel, has started airing. Surprisingly, they are using Baron Nero's suit, which should have been cool (it's a fantastic suit). However they instead did something absolutely horrific to it: they replaced Nero's Plague Doctor head with a new, generic-ish monster head. It's an abomination. :cry:

JESUS FUCKING SHIT WHOEVER APPROVED THAT NIGHTMARE SHOULD BE SHOT
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I actually kind of like that mask, which makes me feel divided since plague doctors are always the best. That's why From Software includes them in all their soulsborne games.
Gallus Faberge
7X

Post by Gallus Faberge »

PHurricane wrote:I wouldn't say I enjoyed the Yamato parts, but I agreed with Yamato more often than not. Excuse or not, fighting Azauld was more important than checking on the dad that he didn’t even have a good relationship with. It was bizarre than Amu insisted he go somewhere else when they got curbstomped by Azauld with 7 fighters. For the last couple episodes, it felt like Amu was projecting her own feelings onto Yamato (about being separated from her mom) more than using her keen insight into Yamato's feelings.

I guess I’m okay with the reveal about the connection between Bado and Yamato’s dad. I can’t quite silence a little voice in the back of my head snarking that it’s way too convenient that Yamato’s dad took care of Bado the same night that Yamato’s mother died, but it does explain why Bado always seemed to pop up to protect Yamato. And I’m okay with Yamato still feeling like his dad was a bad parent, because the other flashback we got was how his dad always prioritized work over his family, which is why losing his mom devastated Yamato. His dad not showing up to say goodbye in time was the breaking point in Yamato’s relationship with his dad because it wasn't in good shape before that. In fact, I think I'll be more disappointed if over remaining episodes Yamato begins acting like he had the best father in the world.

I liked some of those POV shots during the battles. If they had used it a little more it might have gotten nauseating, but it reminded me of those rare glimpses we sometimes get of the giant-scale battles from inside the mecha cockpit.
I agree with you about Yamato. And the part with Amu just made me dislike her, even more since last episode.

So why did Bado steal one of the Marks and run away from Jyuland? did i miss that explanation?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

takenoko wrote:I actually kind of like that mask, which makes me feel divided since plague doctors are always the best. That's why From Software includes them in all their soulsborne games.
To be sure it's a high quality mask, the kind meant for a season-long general suit. It just doesn't fit Nero's body as well since it doesn't match his theme, and is decidedly less impressive than Nero's original head.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

when the jyuman members were jumping from building to building, it reminded me of the gatchaman live action movie.

and it makes sense jyuman actifacts work differentlt when a jyuman born jyuohger uses them instead of a jyuman powered individual.
i was thinking they would way back that he had a center cube or something. then now i was thinking they would just collect his parts and prevent them from fusing and them seperating them. then next year kyuuranger's vs movie has a plot that ties in the jyuohger, or potential for a "jyuohger X years after the movie!" plot line.

i saw the whole baod x yamato dad x yamato triangle coming but it wasnt that yamatos dad went to jyuland ... its that bado came here. i guess with as little time thats all the writers could come up with.

but i adored the action cam POVs! it made the fight come alive, and made me feel more apart of the action. the series needed more of these fights and also it reminded me of the second go-busters OP.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”