Jyuohger 48 released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:26 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
22%
☆☆☆☆
19%
☆☆☆
41%
☆☆
19%
No votes

Total votes: 27
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Jyuohger 48 released

Post by takenoko »

< Previous ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last week's rating: 3.43/ 5 (14 votes)

Alt title: JYUOH FINAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!

Unfortunately, I really feel like the finale was just a culmination of all the problems that has plagued this series. I'll start with what I liked though.

Unmasked transformation! Good fight sequence, up till the point when Yamato gets fat, ineffective bird power. And finally, I was pleasantly surprised by the twist of the worlds fusing. If this had happened earlier and we got to explore the repercussions of such a thing more fully, I think it might have made the latter arc of the story more compelling?

But unfortunately, this is Jyuohger, so none of the characters feel real and you don't experience human emotions watching it. Bado literally doesn't do anything except make creepy Kusaka smiles. As people said in previous threads, Genis is a boring villain. We know nothing about him, and this inferiority complex reveal is too little, too late. I guess it's kind of funny that the last boss is the same as the grunts? I dunno. Didn't really work for me.

The "fuck Jyuohgers" moment of the episode came with the reveal that Naria survived, then to the surprise of no one, gets literally shot in the back to show how evil Genis is. A) It's super cliche B) How stupid is the writer, since Naria (or even anyone else) is a more interesting character than Genis? Even if we weren't living in a new age of PCism, I think setting up a woman to die for her boss to look evil is a bad trope. It makes both characters worse for it. I mean, I guess it kind of works for Shishio in Kenshin, because he seems kind of desperate to do it? But it's not my favorite tool in the fiction writer's belt.

And it suffers the sin of bad story beats. Their transformation devices are destroyed and then undestroyed within 5 minutes, I'm sure. Maybe on paper, combing Yamato's form sounds cool, but it flies in the fucking face of the theme of connection that this series purports to promote. Maybe the moral lesson you should be teaching is: True strength comes from working as a team? I know, crazy for a Sentai series, right?

Again, the battle was cool. I liked seeing Genis grab TheWorld and thump him a few times on the ground before knocking Yamato out of the air with it. That said, I literally don't remember what the background dancers did in that fight. They might as well not have been there.

Man is fat JyuohEagle a bad fight. He's so slow! Genis, how are you getting hit by that? And what is the point of being muscular when flying? Ther'es not even a scene where Yamato flies super fast to accelerate into a punch, which might have been the one scenario where that form makes sense. Instead, he hovers in the air and punches Genis, who's too fricking stupid to dodge the slowest punch in the world.

And I don't remember what the mecha fight was like. I don't think there was anything there anyway.

Goodbye Jyuohger. You were mostly forgettable and you taught me to beware of Komura Junko's writings in the future. Between Wizard and Jyuohger, I don't see us going on a third date.

Episode: 2 / 5 stars. Bad ending to a bad series.

Series: 3 / 5 stars. A meh series that doesn't go anywhere and doesn't follow through on its message or theming. Some fun moments, but only like half the main cast are even interesting/likable. The only reason it doesn't get the 2 star that it probably deserves is because it's not actively annoying.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Jyuohger 48 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Well, one cannot get a repeat performance of Kazuhiko Inoue being Kars on another show. If anything, this is subpar coming from a veteran voice actor. Also, Toei, Bandai stopped making Sentai Figuarts, so that final form Yamato got was a waste of time.

The series overall is a bit alright but it's not worth being the 40th anniversary. Resolving Yamato's daddy issues and the coexistence between the humans and Jyumans too late, Yamato VS Bang Ray going on too long. I'd rather binge-watch Gaoranger.

I hope to Zod La Resistance Sentai is good.
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
Zychotic
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Favorite Actor?: Inoue Masahiro
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Zychotic »

Have you ever wondered what would happen if an eagle, a gorilla and a whale were to reproduce together? Well you get to find out in this episode. That form was hideous to look at, they were better off without it.

I consider this an underwhelming finale. They tried to resolve too many things at once. The series as a whole was slower paced than previous sentai series which was good because it allowed for some proper plot development, but it then meant that some of the bigger storylines got neglected until the very end. Yamato and his daddy issues was a late thing. Bado was introduced early, then disappeared for most of the series. Then JyuLand, I felt like they should have returned earlier in the series, which would have made the end scene better.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Zychotic wrote: slower paced than previous sentai series which was good because it allowed for some proper plot development
What?
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote: ...reveal is too little, too late.
This pretty much sums up my entire impression of this episode and the series as whole. Every idea they introduce has potential but it always ends up half baked.

The battle with Genis lacked anyone emotional weight. It was obvious from the start that the Earth would reject Genis since it has always been portrayed as having agency.

What was the director thinking? The scene of Mario-san praying for the team looked so awkward because of the way it was shot and edited.

When the Marks of the King were restored, I felt conflicted because the Jyuman members had to immediately resume using their human disguises. It makes sense for the actors but it also undercuts the impact of transformations without the helmets.

The scene at the end with Yamato helping the Jyuman kid is just weird. Before Yamato had arrived at the park, everyone else was having a picnic close enough to see that kid crying. How did they fail to notice the kid and offer to help?

Out of all the characters, I think Sela was my favorite. She didn't have much character development but the little she did get was interesting. I also liked that she had no problem smacking Leo whenever he did something that ticked her off.
Jehal
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Ryuki
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Jehal »

In the end, Jyuohger suffered from something I feared when the series started. Ignoring it's own concept. I was worried when it began that there would be no point to most of the team being Jyumans; and that's exactly what happened. Everyone could've been human and everything would've played out exactly the same.
Completed Series

Rider: From Kuuga to Drive, and Ex-Aid to Zi-O
Next Up: Ghost

Sentai: Zyuranger, Kakuranger, From Dekaranger to ToQGer, and Kyuuranger to Ryusoulger
Next Up: Ninninger
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

takenoko wrote:And finally, I was pleasantly surprised by the twist of the worlds fusing. If this had happened earlier and we got to explore the repercussions of such a thing more fully, I think it might have made the latter arc of the story more compelling?
Exactly the same thing I thought about the worlds fusing. While I really enjoyed the episode, I was dumbstruck at how something that could have been such a tremendous plot twist was used in the last 8 minutes of the entire series. Fusing the worlds in episode 24 could have been a real, "Oh holy sh*t, how are we going to deal with this?", moment. Instead of just Earth being Genis' target, now both worlds are in doo-doo. I can't help but think that the ending sequence of events was rewritten, possibly even re-filmed, to keep the team together in the end because it was such a u-turn for what was going to happen.

Despite that, I still think the Finale episode did what it was supposed to do: Put an actual ending on the series. I thought the mecha fight was a little shoe-horned in because the mega-cannon thing seemed final enough, but I guess you gotta do that these days. Once all was done, though, it put a smile on my face...especially when Shishi Red made his appearance and I realized what is only a week away! :mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone who put their time into bringing us another year of our favorite spandex warriors! We really do appreciate everyone who dedicates their time to this.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

I liked the exclusive unmasked henshin sequence. Looks like they had taken it straight out of Power Rangers, but even more badass.

If the furry world and the human world are now connected as one, shouldn't this immediately affect the Space Sheriff and EX-AID series as well? I better see some furries running around in the next episode of EX-AID. The Kyuranger series seems to take place in space so they probably won't notice the furries unless they travel to Earth.

It's a shame Jyuohger and EX-AID never got to truly cross over, as it'd be a perfect fit since both series are game-related. I thought it definitely would've happened.

Well, until Kamen Rider X Super Sentai and Kyuranger VS Jyuohger later on.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>I liked the exclusive unmasked henshin sequence. Looks like they had taken it straight out of Power Rangers, but even more badass.

Sentai's been doing it for the last episode for years though :(

>If the furry world and the human world are now connected as one, shouldn't this immediately affect the Space Sheriff and EX-AID series as well?

I always wonder about the continuity about this stuff. I'm guessing Jyuohger really is its own continuity except for in the Verus movies. I assume no continuity matters in the Super Hero Taisen movies.

>It's a shame Jyuohger and EX-AID never got to truly cross over, as it'd be a perfect fit since both series are game-related. I thought it definitely would've happened.

Those specials always suck though...
Victormaru
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kaoru
Favorite Actor?: Mika Hijii
Favorite Band: m-flo
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: GARO
Quote: In the end, I am Eternal.

Post by Victormaru »

takenoko wrote:Sentai's been doing it for the last episode for years though :(
Oh, really? Now that I think of it, I've never really completely finished a Sentai series myself, nor have I seen the finale of one aside from Jyuohger; I was just curious about Jyuohger's ending this time around. That's cool to know, though.
takenoko wrote:I assume no continuity matters in the Super Hero Taisen movies.
You're right about that. Super Hero Taisen is just a bunch of crazy randomness, lol.
takenoko wrote:Those specials always suck though...
Yeah, but they could've at least thought up of an interesting concept like have Genis and Kuroto try to create some ultimate Virtual Reality Gashat Blood Game or something, lol. Even if it was going to be for one random episode. I guess the EX-AID and Kyuranger crossover will have to eventually happen now.
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

Victormaru wrote:
takenoko wrote:Sentai's been doing it for the last episode for years though :(
Oh, really? Now that I think of it, I've never really completely finished a Sentai series myself, nor have I seen the finale of one aside from Jyuohger; I was just curious about Jyuohger's ending this time around. That's cool to know, though.
If you're bored and want to look up all of them:
- Dairanger was the first to do so, and that one was fully suit-less (2nd to last episode, I believe)
- Haven't seen a full season from Kakuranger to Abaranger, so don't know about those.
- Dekaranger has yet to have either a suitless or helmetless roll call.
- Magiranger had nearly an entire episode with the characters in-suit without helmets. One of the final fights had MagiRed in-suit, with helmet, but no black visor.
- Boukenger had a full suitless roll call.
- Gekiranger did not have a suit/helmetless roll call (at least not in the series)
- Go-Onger through Jyuohger had either a suitless or helmetless roll call, Kyoryuger had multiple throughout the series and movies.

Most of these occur in the final episode. I know Hurricaneger had one in the 10 Years After movie as well. These have, by far, become my favorite part of each series since it's usually the only time (Go-Onger and Go-Buster excluded) that we actually see the characters in the suit and can put their face with the helmet. I really wish Kamen Rider would do it as well, or have another season like Hibiki where the characters walked around in-suit with no helmet, but that was on a bit of a technicality since they were truly morphing, not putting on a suit.
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
njb
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Timeranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze

Post by njb »

Am very disappointed at the last episode. Cubal, Bang Rey and Azauld had better fights with the Jyuohgers than Genis. :(

Genis being a mass of Moeba was hinted at throughout the show, wasn't it? The cells were Genis' cells yet they become Moeba when thrown. If only the Jyuohgers tried to use that to their advantage somehow, making the Moeba in him split apart or something.

The ending was OK I guess?

One last: the past of Jyuland (why the Cetus thing was not made known the the Jyumen) was forgotten. I wonder why. That might have made a good arc
Watching:
- SS Kiramei, Deka, Ninnin
- KR Saber
Finished:
- SS Time, Shinken to Toq, Jyuoh to Ryusoul
- KR Decade to Zero-One
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

I just realize one thing when Yamato made his all beast release. he was given three type superiority air for eagle, land for gorilla and sea for whale. The world was similar but was lacking air type. genis true form was being hinted through series but it was really done bad imo the reveal about shinkenred was handled alot better for example. For an aniversary series among the ones i watched which were boukenger, gokaiger never had chance to watch gaorangers or any of series before them but i must say this one was really disappointing. To make some compariosn the kiaju hunter did almost nothing after a couple of episodes if we compare it to Gokaiger mid season villian at least basco was collecting ranger keys. Genis could be a great villain if they were handling him properly. None of the commanders tried to imitate a human look iirc which limited their approach to 'monster on street' level. Too much wait for making Bado become related and than too little done by him other than being a plot device for Yamato even Larri had more impacting role in the series. One would also wonder how Yamato could see the cells in pocket dimension but not on Genis himself or on coins Naria was bringing down all the time. These can go on overall i enjoyed it when i was not thinking too much on stuff but it was handled really poorly a 3 from me and that is only because of unexpected ending of two worlds merging which I wonder how they will link with next sentai.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

First off, thank you once again to Takenoko, xiiliea, AdamH, DaVinci030, and the QA legion for another season of Sentai. Without you guys, none of this would be possible.:D

Now to take a potshot at Takenoko: you've taken all of the good observations! So if it seems like I'm just copying him in my observations and comments, it's all Takenoko Decade's fault.:P

Anyhow, I wanted to like this episode. I really did. But there's more in this specific episode that bugged me than I cared for. As a result it's actually one of the few episodes I've given a score below a 3.

The real kick to the teeth in this episode was merging the worlds. The problem isn't that it's a hindquarters-pull, it's that it's so big, so important, so major, and yet it's practically trivialized. The speech about beating racism is nice, I'll grant you that. But you just turned the status-quo upside down (and technically just eradicated half of the water and half of the arable land of their combined existence). This is too much to brush off. To make this solution work, it demands further examination. it requires a proper build-up.

Speaking of pulling things, Sentai has always been bad about pulling things out for the finale for how the heroes defeat the big bad. So that it happened again this year is not a big surprise. However, and I can't quite put my finger on why, but this year seems especially bad? Maybe it's another case of a lack of setup? Genis copying Cube Whale's data never made a whole lot of sense to start with, but ever since he did so, he's been unstoppable. He already beat down the Jyuohgers and Cubal's army of the undead 10 episodes ago, and since then no one has received a power-up. So that the Jyuohgers beat him here, apparently with a quick boost from the Earth itself, is running headlong into a deus ex machina situation. It doesn't feel fitting. However despite that, I do appreciate that even if Yamato got to do the last bit of fighting, this episode wasn't the Yamoto show. The others got their moments, albeit not necessarily in the fight itself.

And of course, there's the problem with Genis himself. He's been this generic big-bad the entire season. And now he develops an inferiority complex?! I appreciate that they're trying, I really do. But this is too late and too far out of left field. Again there's no setup, and even if it was, it would have take a lot of setup to make it work. There's no way on Earth this was in the series bible, so someone must have come up with it rather late in the game. It's just terrible.

Also, why did we move the Jyuohgers to the ruined city set for all of 45 seconds? There was one quick action shot, and that was it. Then back to the quarry. Something seems off, like they had a filming issue or too much footage was left on the cutting room floor when assembling this episode.

Not that all of the episode was terrible. I loved how Genis turned the Jyuohger's catchphrase back on them at the start. Having the Earth give him power is questionable, but having him talk smack like that is clever. I really wish he had more genuine clever moments in the series. Bonus points: Genis even got to break the henshin shield! That's an excellent subversion of the usual Sentai rules, and is one of the few things he does that really sells how powerful he is.

I also liked the family reunions at the end, even if they were obligatory. Most of the time it seemed like the series left buried the stranded status of the 4 Jyumans, so it's good that it wasn't ignored here, and was part of the conclusion. Speaking of which, I noticed that they greenscreened all of those interactions. It looks like they only have 1 head for each of the core-4's species. So Sela's hug was composited on top of someone else wearing her head, Amu was composed into her scene, etc.

Third, they may legitimately good use of the zig-zag beam in the final fight. The overall fight may have been lacking (man, they really love that muscle suit, don't they?), but having the beam going around while Genis was flying about in the air, and finally nailing him once he crashed into the ground perfectly justifies why that feature is useful.

Finally, it was probably just licensed music, but I really liked that background song they used at the end. It was fitting, but it wasn't sappy. Which has actually been a problem for Toei's background music in emotional scenes; they usually lay it on a little too thick.

... and Yamato randomly abducts a kid! :lol: It's funny because it's terrible.
takenoko wrote:>I liked the exclusive unmasked henshin sequence. Looks like they had taken it straight out of Power Rangers, but even more badass.

Sentai's been doing it for the last episode for years though :(
IMO, PR still does it more consistently/better. I'm pretty sure they just composited the heads onto the suits. So the actors never actually donned the spandex. PR, by comparison, has made it a point more often than not to get the actors in their suits and sans helmet, and to do so in plain scenes without any CGI/SFX. They make it exceedingly clear that the actors are wearing the suits, which plays a lot better with selling the illusion that it's always the actor inside the suit throughout the series.

The helmetless roll-calls are still very cool though. Compositing the heads on, by comparison, is actually kind of lame since it means the actors were just reading lines and making faces in front of a greenscreen; they never went through the full motions.
>If the furry world and the human world are now connected as one, shouldn't this immediately affect the Space Sheriff and EX-AID series as well?

I always wonder about the continuity about this stuff. I'm guessing Jyuohger really is its own continuity except for in the Verus movies. I assume no continuity matters in the Super Hero Taisen movies.
Keeping everything in separate continuities is the only way any of this can work. Otherwise you end up with a mix of obvious plot holes, and other, weirder things. Plus I appreciate how it gives each season a blank slate to craft the world/universe from.
takenoko wrote:The "fuck Jyuohgers" moment of the episode came with the reveal that Naria survived, then to the surprise of no one, gets literally shot in the back to show how evil Genis is. A) It's super cliche B) How stupid is the writer, since Naria (or even anyone else) is a more interesting character than Genis? Even if we weren't living in a new age of PCism, I think setting up a woman to die for her boss to look evil is a bad trope. It makes both characters worse for it. I mean, I guess it kind of works for Shishio in Kenshin, because he seems kind of desperate to do it? But it's not my favorite tool in the fiction writer's belt.
Agreed, that was genuinely terrible on multiple levels. Why is Naria even still alive? She got a full frontal attack in the previous episode. And she's back just so Genis can kill her again to make a point? It's not PC to be unhappy with any of that; what transpired was just bad writing.
Last edited by ViRGE on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>The real kick to the teeth in this episode was merging the worlds. The problem isn't that it's a hindquarters-pull, it's that it's so big, so important, so major, and yet it's practically trivialized.

That's a good point. The way it was portrayed here was completely without teeth. There's no stakes to anything. We hear from Larry and Bado that people will straight up hunt Jyumans, but at worst, we saw people being startled. There's no way you can combine two worlds like that and have it end as cheerfully as that did.

Yamato always talks about building connections, but you never see him really build it with his friends. I mean, I guess he does with Misao. Maybe he does it with his father at the end? It would have been much more interesting to see Yamato dealing with brokering peace between the newly merged two worlds, in addition to fighting off the invading forces. Instead, we get his poorly built reunion with his dad.

>However, and I can't quite put my finger on why, but this year seems especially bad? Maybe it's another case of a lack of setup?

A lack of setup is probably it for me. Like why is Yamato suddenly JyuohTriple? Why is Genis suddenly a lot weaker? Who gives a fuck that he's secretly an amoeba?

>I also liked the family reunions at the end, even if they were obligatory.

Those were good scenes. I wish the credits said who voiced Amu's mom and Sela's brother though. Trying to keep up the details for the wiki is tough sometimes.

>Speaking of which, I noticed that they greenscreened all of those interactions. It looks like they only have 1 head for each of the core-4's species. So Sela's hug was composed on top of someone else wearing the head, Amu was composed into her scene, etc.

I totally didn't notice that. Huh.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”