Jyuohger VS Ninninger released

Furry Force https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Dyqas6Sm8
Forum rules

Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger Wiki Link

< Ninninger | Jyuohger | KyuuRanger >

Spoiler rules: No posting information about unreleased stuff. Preview and movie promo discussion must be in marked spoiler tags.

Ratings

Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:14 pm

☆☆☆☆☆
24%
☆☆☆☆
36%
☆☆☆
24%
☆☆
8%
8%

Total votes: 25
ViRGE
Save the life

Re: Jyuohger VS Ninninger released

Post by ViRGE »

"more or less what I expected from these two series" pretty accurately sums it up. It's a VS movie, the Sentais fight each other, a paper-thin plot holds things together, then they go ballistic on the new enemy, all the while a combined team power-up of some sort helps them ultimately win the day.

As far as VS movies go, this one wasn't bad, though it also wasn't anything great. Takaharu getting married is as random as hell - and I strongly suspect the writers worked backwards, starting from time travel from the future - on the other hand I liked that they gave us two mecha fights instead of one. So we got the traditional bad fight at the end with the giant, immobile big bad, and then a good fight at the start with the two teams squaring off. Meanwhile, even if the writers were cribbing their earlier work, I liked the 3 generation Akaninger lineup. The problem with the original series was that Troll Grandpa was, well, a troll, so it never felt sincere. The kid on the other hand may not have any real characterization to him since he's a one-off character, but I also don't hate him like I do Troll Grandpa. So it was actually a lot more touching this time around.

I do think the plot was thinner than usual on this movie. Essentially the entire back-half of the movie was one big series of fights. There were no proper breaks for character moments. As someone else has already noted, the plot is essentially done at 30 minutes in, and even then a lot of that first 30 minutes is fighting as well. Now all of the fighting was done well, but it means the movie doesn't have too much going for it besides its action pieces. This is also why there's no real Ninninger epilogue component to it: the writers didn't create one. Neither the Jyuohgers or Ninningers got any real focus.
Lunagel wrote:Conclusion: Takaharu is a dumbass and time travel is used far too often in tokusatsu.
I can't argue with your logic. Seriously, all of that seems to be correct. Yoshi's presence did alter the future, but because the Reds didn't actually stop the fight in the Good Future - rather their absence leads to the others figuring things out - then in the Bad Future they likely helped to instigate it. And yeah, it was probably Takaharu who did it, as no matter the future, Yamato isn't going to fight unless he has to.
Lunagel wrote:Nice example for the kids Takaharu, knocking up a chick and having a shotgun wedding.
To be fair, there's no evidence that there was a shotgun wedding, or that Takaharu did anything improper/immoral for that matter. Rather he apparently had a very productive(?) honeymoon. :shock:
PHurricane wrote: -I enjoyed how Yamato was so bewildered and fed up with the nonsense going on around him...but mostly with Takaharu.
That makes two of us!
-Right to the end, Yakumo and Kasumi’s relationship is suspiciously incestuous.
They really did walk that line in this movie. Which I'm not sure is a good thing. But it's admittedly better than the time they overstepped the line in the series...
lennyhouston16 wrote:However I must say episode 19 is beautiful in Blu Ray quality. I know TV Nihon hasn't said anything about rereleasing current shows in Blu Ray but I'd love to rewatch these shows in that quality when they're available. Wink wink
Agreed. The Ep19 Blu-Ray release looks great. I think TVN has their hands full, and I doubt it would be worth it for a series like Ninnin or Jyuoh, but a full 1080p Blu-Ray release of the really awesome series would likely be popular.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot: the audio encode settings may need tweaked a bit. There are a few points in this encode where the center channel on the 5.1 mix is clipping. I fully expect that Toei purposely keeps that channel nice and loud, but dialing it back just a bit would prevent any media player clipping.

Spoiler
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote:
Lunagel wrote:Nice example for the kids Takaharu, knocking up a chick and having a shotgun wedding.
To be fair, there's no evidence that there was a shotgun wedding, or that Takaharu did anything improper/immoral for that matter. Rather he apparently had a very productive(?) honeymoon. :shock:
I have a couple reasons for thinking this so I'll lay them out for you:

1: He didn't tell his father or sister or any of his immediate family. This rather smacks of a "whoops, guess we gotta get married" situation. Having an actual wedding would require guests and such and I find it hard to believe even Takaharu would be dumb enough to forget to invite his own family to the wedding.

2: He referred to himself as "newlywed". In Japanese, the term is usually associated with up to 6 months to 1 year. So 9 months is definitely in the realm of possibility still, but it's a little on the ambiguous side

3: The way the legal system is set up, if your parents aren't married, your dad can't legally claim you as his own. Every family has a separate register, and when two people get married, the woman is added to her husband's register so then her children are added to his register as well. If they aren't married, the system basically treats it like an anonymous sperm donor. (I had a professor who was treated like this when his wife was Japanese and he was American but their children were born in Japan, since foreigners couldn't have registers back then. The law has since changed)

4: Shotgun weddings are getting surprisingly common in Japan. About 20 percent tend to be shotgun weddings, and honestly, you tend to see them more often in the early-20s group. Most women late 20s/mid 30s first marriage aren't pregnant. There's just not as much stigma anymore, and I've seen a lot of kids that when someone says "oh I'm getting married" their first question is "are you pregnant?".

5: You fucking know Takaharu didn't wear a condom. He's a reckless dumbass in everything else, why should this be any different?

So yeah, I totally think the girl got pregnant, she told him, and they decided to go down to city hall and get married that day.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

A couple reasons she sez

>Edit: Oh, I almost forgot: the audio encode settings may need tweaked a bit. There are a few points in this encode where the center channel on the 5.1 mix is clipping. I fully expect that Toei purposely keeps that channel nice and loud, but dialing it back just a bit would prevent any media player clipping.

Huh, I think I do have the normalize option checked off when I reencode the audio. I don't know if there's other settings that I can be looking at in Megui. Just off the top of my head, I don't recall it being more robust than that, but I usually don't mess with those settings so I couldn't say.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Lunagel wrote: 5: You fucking know Takaharu didn't wear a condom. He's a reckless dumbass in everything else, why should this be any different?
I'm dying laughing right now.
midorininger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger
My boom: Transformers

Post by midorininger »

it wasnt JUST Yamato who found the ninninger annoying.

when they went to transform the first time did you see the looks on the Jyuohger's faces? poor sera had to hold her ears, and when they heard all the "nin nin nin" the Jyuohgers look sorta confused as to what was going on.
speaking of that moment...
they had them surrounded, and then for the role call, got on 1 side of them losing their advantage.
and the moment of "what do UFOs have to do with ninja?" seemed like a jab.
2 other disapointments:
1- NO jyuohwhale and Chouzetsu Akaninger team up.
2- NO Super Star Mode Starninger and Super Animal Instict TheWorld combi.

as a side thought, in both Vs movies ninninger was in, they seemed to be the more immature less together team. in fact i had almost forgotten what they were like.

kinji and fuuka are still the best dancers. doing the animal dance better than jyuohgers.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote:
ViRGE wrote: To be fair, there's no evidence that there was a shotgun wedding, or that Takaharu did anything improper/immoral for that matter. Rather he apparently had a very productive(?) honeymoon. :shock:
I have a couple reasons for thinking this so I'll lay them out for you:

1: He didn't tell his father or sister or any of his immediate family. This rather smacks of a "whoops, guess we gotta get married" situation. Having an actual wedding would require guests and such and I find it hard to believe even Takaharu would be dumb enough to forget to invite his own family to the wedding.
We've seen Takaharu do some pretty dumb stuff over the course of the series. I don't think it's out of character for him to get so fired up about getting married that he doesn't bother to tell anyone.
So yeah, I totally think the girl got pregnant, she told him, and they decided to go down to city hall and get married that day.
He seemed genuinely surprised to be a Dad when Yoshi showed up. Not in a "why is my kid here" kind of way, but in a "I have a kid?!" kind of way. But I do agree that if you want to read into it that way, there's not a lot of good evidence going either way.
5: You fucking know Takaharu didn't wear a condom. He's a reckless dumbass in everything else, why should this be any different?
:lol: Oh god, my sides. Yes, that is completely Takaharu. And I'm sure he found the whole thing very hot. I just hope he wasn't "on fire" when he did it. :shock:
4: Shotgun weddings are getting surprisingly common in Japan. About 20 percent tend to be shotgun weddings, and honestly, you tend to see them more often in the early-20s group. Most women late 20s/mid 30s first marriage aren't pregnant. There's just not as much stigma anymore, and I've seen a lot of kids that when someone says "oh I'm getting married" their first question is "are you pregnant?".
As an aside, that's an interesting point that I've never considered before. I suppose Japan can't afford to be picky; when the population is declining, a kid is a kid.
iori93
Favorite series: Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: saa omae tsumi wo kazoero!

Post by iori93 »

I like the movie, it was good and entertaining for me, what bother me is the kid actually didn't change anything for the future, the one who solved the problem is the group themselves without Takaharu son
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

ViRGE wrote:
He seemed genuinely surprised to be a Dad when Yoshi showed up. Not in a "why is my kid here" kind of way, but in a "I have a kid?!" kind of way. But I do agree that if you want to read into it that way, there's not a lot of good evidence going either way.
Well he would be surprised because he said at the end of the movie that the kid isn't born yet. So his wife is definitely pregnant with Yoshi when the movie happens.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Lunagel wrote:
ViRGE wrote: He seemed genuinely surprised to be a Dad when Yoshi showed up. Not in a "why is my kid here" kind of way, but in a "I have a kid?!" kind of way. But I do agree that if you want to read into it that way, there's not a lot of good evidence going either way.
Well he would be surprised because he said at the end of the movie that the kid isn't born yet. So his wife is definitely pregnant with Yoshi when the movie happens.
Agreed. And that's consistent with finding out he's going to be a Dad from the fact that his kid showed up from the future. Mrs. Yellsahot must already be pregnant, otherwise the Bad Future could have never happened. Granted, this does require Takaharu to infer something, but it's a rather obvious inference in-universe.

(Think of it as a very convoluted pregnancy test. Does your kid suddenly show up from the future? You may be pregnant. :P )
zigmenthotep
Adventure
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zigmenthotep »

Not great, but it looks like they endorsed Kasumi/Yakumo at the end there, and it technically featured Magiranger, so I give it a pass.
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

iori93 wrote:I like the movie, it was good and entertaining for me, what bother me is the kid actually didn't change anything for the future, the one who solved the problem is the group themselves without Takaharu son
I answered this in a previous post but i will give this a different answer. Kid was necessary. Ninninger's whole selling point was 'three generation ninjas' however grandpa send to heaven or whatever spirit realm he belongs to so for a three generation gimmick they needed something and getting a grandma although would be interesting wouldn't work only choice was to get a kid from future and since the link needs to be strong for red it should be Takaharu's kid. Second reason was they didn't want to use Akared for whatever stupid reason (maybe saving him for kyuuranger) so someone need to state out super sentai history since they were going to bring a kid from future anyway mailman job left to him as well.
ShepardRahl
Infinity
Favorite series: Kamen rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yoshizawa Hitomi
Favorite Actor?: Dwayne Johnson
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Rider Belts
Quote: I will tell you something about anything...if not everything.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by ShepardRahl »

This movie was pretty good. Probably the best team up movie in recent memory. My only complaint is that they didn't say who Yoshiharu's mother was. It would have been nice to know who the girl was that Takaharu ran off and married without telling anybody. lol
I will tell you something about anything...if not everything!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I finally watched this yesterday and got a new theory about needing the kid.

The key in beating Runrun's plan was Misao conveying to the Ninningers about the mask. If the Ninningers didn't capture Misao, we would gotten the bad future with both Ninningers and Jyuohgers killing each other. There was an event at the beginning of the movie that seem unimportant but probably was the true turning point in changing the future. That was the kid accidentally knocking down Misao while he was on his way to the camp site. For most people, this would be a small delay but for Misao and his mental issues, it became a big delay. If Misao wasn't knock down and barring anything else, he would either made it to the camp site with the rest of the Jyuohgers just when the Ninningers attack them or shortly after.

The problem about this is that we don't know exactly how the original scenario played out in detail to figure out how the future changed along with the movie not doing a good job of showing the kid's actions directly changing the future. I believe what I came up with is more plausible than the turning point was the kid meeting the Reds since they had no influence on the change.

Return to “Doubutsu Sentai Jyuohger”