My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Retsuden 02 released

Post by takenoko »

< Prev Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last episode rating: Perfect 5 (7 votes)

Oh man, we're already diving into the Ryuuga universe of Garo. It's good to see Jinga and Amily again, but they spend the first half of this episode acting like buttholes. So it's like a monkey paw's wish coming true. But still, it's interesting to see Jinga and Amily before they were monsters, plus they get better halfway through the episode. So... character growth? It's such a personality change from their Gold Storm counterparts too. It's kind of funny how Inoue always plays jerks.

Speaking of guests, it's great seeing Okui Masami reprise her role of Hikage, as well as series regular Eguchi Hiromi playing yet another role.

Not the strongest episode, but it's still fun. I like this format of never knowing who'll turn up.
TypicalStandUser
Save the life
Favorite series: Amazons
2nd Favorite Series: GoBusters
Dreamy: Kaho Shibuya
Favorite Actor?: Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Favorite Band: Owarikara
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Cooking food
Quote: Oh snap! Lemon Pepper Wet?!

Re: Garo Makai Retsuden 02 released

Post by TypicalStandUser »

Masahiro Inoue and Saori Hara together again?! THANK YOU, Amemiya!!
The haters all around this world can drink Childish Gambino's daycare while I, the insignificant nobody they branded as, continue to survive & thrive.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

In this series, the episode titles are represented with three kanji. I notice there are two sets of them next week. So are we getting two stories?
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Didnt recognize anybody while I was timing it, the knight did kinda sound like Decade, but didn't really look like him. It was only after names were mentioned late in the episode that it all clicked into place.

First thoughts were "some people will be flipping tables"

Its good that they looked back at their back story and made a nice standalone ep to deal with how they first met and became what they were.

It does make me wonder how they will handle the the two verses, are they trying to insinuate that they two are now linked and in the same verse or is Gonza just that bad-ass he can see into the many verses.

I kinda hope that they don't do two stories next week, they would be very short and without purpose really. Unless they plan on a double length ep.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I think they purposefully changed up the way they looked and kept the names till the very end to keep their identities hidden.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Indeed, was a nice touch, another aspect that threw me off guard was the use of Kiba, all I could think of was "we have seen his back story, why would they be doing another one?" but its not his story in the long run.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

It's good to see Jinga and Amily again. Hikage's action against the Horrors are pretty good (well done, okui masami for your action).

And good to see you again, Ultraman Leo's actor. (I've last seen him on Go-Onger)

Rated 4.

PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Inoue definitely gets typecast...but he’s so good at that character type! I loved getting to see him play a younger Jinga as well as a younger Amily. And kudos to the makeup and hair team for Amily. I swore that was a different actress playing her younger self.

I cracked up when Jinga said he’d “remember” Amily’s name, because all I could hear was Tsukasa telling people to “remember” that he’s a passing through Kamen Rider. It’s crazy how some things stick in your mind like that.

I agree that the structure of next week’s episode title makes it seem like we’re getting two stories instead of one, but only time will tell.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Super enjoyed this episode. It was fun watching how Jinga and Amily first met, and also their original personalities, before they turned into horrors.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Talk about a character change for Amily. She's like the exact opposite of her Elvira self here and a shy little mouse personality-wise. Simple plot, but you don't really need much, and the ambiance was great.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

A nice little episode. Love it.

Jinga and Amily development was pretty cute. But the episode makes me a bit sad knowing their fate. Once again, Garo standalone are often enjoyable.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

I really do love how these simple stories answer a lot of questions. However, I still think that the two universes are actually one and the same, and Ryuuga merely existed after Kouga's death. Perhaps we'll get an episode going into more detail on how both ring and armour ended up as Ryuuga found them.

As for the two titles meaning two stories, I'm going to guess that it'll be two characters whose stories cross paths somewhere in the episode. Or perhaps it tells of one character's rise and another's fall. Considering the first ep focused on a single character (with only a cameo from another) and this episode sort of did the same (focused on a pair with another cameo at the start), having two major characters appearing for the whole episode may warrant two titles.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
JustiFanV2
7X

Post by JustiFanV2 »

Yeah it's nice to see a bit of back story for Jinga and Amily. I like seeing Jinga displaying a little more heart than we were used to seeing from him (as deep down as it was in this episode anyway) and Amily was just like a totally different person. It makes me hope that the show might re-visit them again somewhere down the line, perhaps to let us see more of their descent to the dark side.

Not seeing any clips for the next episode will take a little getting used to, I think. On one hand it doesn't do much to build up my anticipation for the next episode but at the same time it's kind of refreshing to be totally surprised about who I'm going to see next.

Oh and on a side note: how many announcements did the channel want to make during this episode? I lost count of all the bing-bongs!
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

XIII wrote: It does make me wonder how they will handle the the two verses, are they trying to insinuate that they two are now linked and in the same verse or is Gonza just that bad-ass he can see into the many verses. .
Supposedly they are, and not only the two but the anime. They are in different epoques and so far there's not a contradiction big enough to say "okay, they can't be in the same universe".

About the episode, I liked it without being precisely a fan of Gold Storm. It was nice and had a lot of lore references.

BTW, is Eguchi Hiromi definitely the actress who has played more roles in the entire franchise?
Saadiq_Hidari
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Ummm... what?
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Favorite Band: Hmm....
My boom: Martial Arts
Quote: "In an irrational world, what good is rationality?"

Nobuhiro Watsuki
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by Saadiq_Hidari »

Hi. New guy here and a toku fan since before I knew what Toku was (90s kid Power Ranger fan)

Anyway, I love the live action Garo series and I feel like the previous 5 seasons were all good and it looks like Retsuden will be no exception. To be honest, episode 1 didn't really excite me much because I'm not really too big on Rekka and Shiguto. In fact, those are two of my least favorite Makai Knights in the series, though I'd probably like Shiguto if he was more bad ass.

Episode 2? Man... I never thought I'd see Zinga and Amiri again on screen. With the story focusing on their adventures as humans at that! From first looks in Gold Storm Sho, I never would have guess that Amiri was the shy, introverted Hinata Hyuga type and it was nice to see that side of her. I'll admit, I love horror Amiri better but I hope we see more of her and her origins as well in this series.

Zinga? Does he not have armor? If he has a name, he should have one, right? Also, I figured him for the douchebag type of guy based on his horror self in Season 5. It looks like he didn't change much, other than his strong sense of morals and loyalty. It seems like he was a competent Makai Knight and I really hope I see more of them in depth, like how they feel in love and what other adventures and ordeals they've endured together.

One thing I don't like is how Gonza was the narrator for this particular story. I mean... isn't Gonza long dead in the Yami No Terasu Mono/Gold Storm period? How does he know about Zinga and Amiri when they existed way after his time?

Anyway, I have high hopes for this season.

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”