Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Retsuden 03 released

Post by takenoko »

< Prev Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last episode rating: 4.4 (8 votes)

A nice little two story.

The first one was quite funny. Horrors with human characteristics is more of a Yami wo Terasu thing, but I'll accept it here. Wataru is the same badass he always is. I don't remember him having a talking device from Makai Senki though?

I really enjoyed the slower paced second story too. I just think Anna's actress is really good, and I like the idea of Gonza having a girlfriend on the side when he's not being Alfred to the current Garo. I kind of wish the fish became something a bit more special at the end though. Sometimes these slower stories remind me of a Ghibli movie, if that's not an odd thing to say. The feeling of a tranquil rustic timelessness. Maybe even a European city touch?

I wonder who says the next episode title at the end. Is it Rekka's actress?

Commercials:
Soyjoy Crispy
Clear Asahi 0 Sugar with Yamaguchi Tomomitsu (Played DJ Sagara)
House Mate with Kiritani Mirei
Yu-Gi-Oh Movie
Oronamin C Family trip to an onsen
Panda Chupa Chups
Mt. Rainier with Tabe Mikako and Koide Keisuke
Pocari Sweat with Yagi Rikaco
Sumi Reina Oniku Ginjimasu
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Re: Garo Makai Retsuden 03 released

Post by XIII »

I couldnt feel invested in this ep, and the emphasized sound of drinking really is annoying when timing, just makes me want to punch someone.

2nd story was actually better and it was nice to get both of those actresses back to do the short story.

Im not overtly keen on the double story mode in the episode, and it looks like were back to one story next week.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

I thought I actually got the prediction of a Burai episode right, when I heard the guitar music and saw the bar (since the episode title is Buraikan in Japanese), but guess it's Amemiya trolling =\

The first part was just brilliant. It was pretty funny to see the Horrors being horrified before getting slaughtered in funny ways. Pity I couldn't remember who Wataru was until I read the wiki.

The second part felt kinda scripted though. The fish jumped out and Anna was like "oh, it happened". Everything just felt like a stage play. Kinda disappointed Mayuri didn't go back home to Gonza, which I felt she should.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

At first, I thought we were getting a split episode where we saw the Horror’s perspective and the Knight’s perspective of the same sequence of events. Then I thought we’d get Wataru’s search for the third fort. The second half with Anna and Mayuri was okay, but I enjoyed the humor of the first half more.

Half the fun of this series is not knowing who is going to pop up next, or in what context. And Gonza, of course. I don't think I've mentioned how nice it is to see Gonza each week, even if his screen time is less than a minute.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

When I saw the bar at the beginning, I thought, oh shit, we're finally going to see more Jakuzure from Yami, since it felt like the kind of place he'd visit. I even thought the lips looked similar when we got a look at the hooded man in one of the flashbacks. But yeah, the surprise from week to week adds a lot. Even from an expectation management standpoint. I really like the minimalist previews, and honestly wish we had no previews in any of the shows we did.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I really am loving this series so far because I have no expectations and so every week it's a new surprise. Fukkin Wataru, yeah! The Horrors were pretty amusing in a gang-y sort of way, and despite Makai no Hana being probably one of the weaker series, focusing on a small scene with no action really makes you feel the long history and culture of the Makai world.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

This week wasn't at all what I expected, and it was beautifully done.

The first part was, as everyone's already mentioned, full of humour, and the way it ended was probably one of the best endings I've seen in a long time. Is it bad that I sort of would like to see more episodes or even a series from the Horrors' perspectives? They're a major part of the Garo universe, and I feel we just don't get to see much backstory on their side. Hell, I think the most culture we've seen so far was series 3, but much of that wasn't fully Horror. Jan cringing at the sound of his own transformation was a lovely touch, incidentally.

The second part was slow, and I was also rather disappointed in parts of it. We had an oppourtunity to learn a lot more about priests, Makai constructs, and the lives of Gonza and the Garos, yet got very little. Oerall, it was still pretty good.

The one thing I most want to see in this series is an episode featuring the third, extinct branch of Makai - the seers. We know they existed and even saw the only known surviving seer in action in an early series, yet they've been pretty much forgotten since. As this show branches out into the past as well as the relative present, there's no reason for us to miss out on this important part of past Makai culture.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The first part with Wataru was definitely the best. We didn't get to see much of his personality in the 2nd season other than stern teacher. Nice to see Kenji Matsuda again as well!
Night
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by Night »

Just a quick question: Who was the person that gave the painting for Kouga? I can't remember!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

With the fish, I suspect that it's Rekka. Since she's the only Makai Priest associated with Kouga who deals with fish familiars.
Quetzalcoatl
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Kumbia Kings
My boom: Lowriders
Quote: "Chicanos killing Chicanos is what they want! Blacks and Chicanos killing each other is what they want! That's how they run this place. Once we get together they don't run shit!"

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

The first story was sorta nostalgic to me as it like a similar scene to the movie Desperado. With Steve Buscemi telling the story of what happen to the other bar and came to the second bar to warn them about it. Love it.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Front page link to the forum thread points to the picture instead.

Nice to see Matsuda Kenji again. MIght be bias due to me being a Kiva fan and seeing Garo's closest thing to Jirou/Garuru, but the dagger-throwing horror reminded me a bit of Riki/Dogga.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Fixed, thanks!
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

agree with Fat D, he's reminds me of Riki.
i also kinda forgot about who wataru is, but well Kenji Matsuda plays a good chara. love the 1st part of this ep. quite funny & we see the 1st armor in Retsuden i guess. and it's a very funny ending that we almost never saw in any Garo episodes i guess.

the 2nd part, sorry but i kinda dislike Mayuri, so i just fastforward it & not really feel anything in that epsiodes. although the lighting in the room is very good in that one.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

Speaking of Kiva references, how about the fact that Matsuda Kenji's character is positively impressed by a drink? That was 1986 Jirou's debut, was it not?

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”