No votes

Total votes: 9
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Garo Makai Retsuden 05 released

Post by Lunagel »

abazigal wrote:Granted, this was likely conceived at a time when such shows were male-dominated and the idea of a female lead was unthinkable. But I think the series has pretty much locked themselves into a male Makai Knight-only setting.
More's the pity.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I wished that they would come out to say the reason why women can't be knights is either physical, social, or even both.

Oh Yuna, you still manage to be the most hated character in all of Garo to me. Still whiny and not good with the sword. Not much has changed.
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ashki »

As someone who hates a black and white world, Yuna and Leo are a breath of fresh air. They're hybrids, but also outcasts of an ancient and stagnating society. For me, this episode was excellent. Not because I managed to avoid vomiting all over the bus I was riding while watching this, mind you (I think the rocking of the bus actually counteracted a lot of that shoddy J.J. Abrams camerawork). But for me, Yuna is an amazing concept. She's a hybrid, but moe imprtantly, she's an artificial one. She's unique.

I really love her character because she breaks the rules. However, as was pointed out, she's become so obsessed with her father's legacy by this point that she neglects her priest training in favour of the sword. Even in the heat of battle, she attempted to summon her father's armour and was fortunate that Leo stepped in at just that moment. Leo did have a point, though. If Yuna puts her mind to it, she can become an effective hybrid, wielding the blade as effectively as Rian does her pistol. But to do so, she must study twice as hard, and learn to rely upon Kain (poor girl is doomed :roll: ) to make up for her lack of expertise.

Will she ever be able to summon armour? Well I do like the yin/yang theory, whih is very fitting for the show. If that's truly the case, then in time, she may be able to summon some form of half-armour that's als a hybrid of soul metal and priest magic. Otherwise, the most she could hope for is a single gauntlet. Leo's explaining that she doesnt need armour to be a good knight also makes me think of Rian, who wastes horrors just as fast as most Makai knights. Faith in one's self, paired with hard work and training can be a much stronger defense than any shield or armour. The only question is whether she will ever achieve this.

As for the director, I happened to really love Shougeki Goraigan and still hope there'll be a second series picking up on the cliffhanger. Black Blood, while not the best, was still better than a lot of other toku released in recent years *coughNinningercough* and the concept in some ways reminded my of Volcity. Who knows, perhaps that was intentional.

But yeah, please, for the love of Rekka in heat, get the saki away from that bloody cameraman and feed him some coffee!
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

LOL, not to single you out, but it's pretty funny how American in general change an e to an i sound. Like Sake into Saki or Po-ke-mon to Po-ki-mon.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

karioki
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The many different ways to mispronounce harikiri
Ashki
Mega
Favorite series: no such thing
Dreamy: Mele

Post by Ashki »

Actually, "saki" was a mistype, not an intentional spelling. I literally typed that post as I was falling asleep.

Also, I've found Americans can't pronounce Japanese correctly (or simply refuse to do so). Stuff like "eh-nime" and "maynga" instead of anime or manga drive me nuts, but I once even got into a heated argument with a friend who insisted you pronounce itadakimasu as "ee-tah-DAH kee-mas" (with a pause after the over-emphasised da). The worst part was, she also insisted she took 3 years of Japanese from an actual Japanese teacher and this was how she was taught, so it must be right. Methinks someone took the mickey.

At least engrish is king of endearing and is based on grammatical differences.
Fave | Least Fave Series so far
KR: AgitΩ or Zero-One | Drive
SS: unsure | Maskman
UM: Nexus | Ultra Q
Sentai: Akiballion: Battlemaids of Akihabara | Buddha Man
Other Toku: possibly Shinigami no Ballad | probably Sci-Rop
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Anime and manga doesn't bother me as much. The whole situation is more amusing than anger-inducing. I can't really blame people for mispronouncing words that are in a foreign language. It's sort of fun to see how badly the mispronunciations go, especially for youtube videos about games where they have to try pronouncing Japanese director names.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

I will give the episode a 4... really liked it and Yuna (Riria) looks just amazing on the combat sequences. I was so hype when she did the summoning motion with the sword and the brush and I was like "yes! we are finally going to see a female makai knight! or at least she is going to get the arm!" but not the summon failed :(.... Man! that would have been so cool! its a shame and we can still dream with female makai knight some day.
Final Vent!
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

xiiliea wrote:Pretty good episode. I was kinda surprised that it was Leo who was the "intruder" instead of Rei.

I don't understand why he attacked Kain though.
I thought it was pretty clear that he was testing both of them. He took the pot shot at them earlier that Kaine deflected with his umbrella. Then he really wanted to focus on testingYuna because she's got weird mix of abilities. So Kaine had to set that one out.

My theory about why girls can't summon the armor is that originally the armor was crafted along with each sword and it was given a male shape through the (sexist) presumption that only men would be knights, end because of that shape they don't quite fit. I think it's actually possible for woman to summon armor, but it would probably require the armor to be summoned and altered, or she would have to have so much power over soul metal that she could force to armor to reconfigure itself for her on the fly. Because soul metal is organic, vampiric, and metamorphic, I think that's actually possible. Consider that the blades actually transform from the smaller form into the bigger form when the armor is summoned and then the even larger form when a mount is called; those are not different swords that's just one sword transforming. (See the blancas fruit roster in the first series; Kouga hours into the makai forest dimension with the Garo blade completely unsealed.) Another possibility is if the blade was just plain made for a woman in the first place, it would probably only work for her and not a man.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Alessar wrote:
xiiliea wrote:Pretty good episode. I was kinda surprised that it was Leo who was the "intruder" instead of Rei.

I don't understand why he attacked Kain though.
I thought it was pretty clear that he was testing both of them. He took the pot shot at them earlier that Kaine deflected with his umbrella. Then he really wanted to focus on testingYuna because she's got weird mix of abilities. So Kaine had to set that one out.

My theory about why girls can't summon the armor is that originally the armor was crafted along with each sword and it was given a male shape through the (sexist) presumption that only men would be knights, end because of that shape they don't quite fit. I think it's actually possible for woman to summon armor, but it would probably require the armor to be summoned and altered, or she would have to have so much power over soul metal that she could force to armor to reconfigure itself for her on the fly. Because soul metal is organic, vampiric, and metamorphic, I think that's actually possible. Consider that the blades actually transform from the smaller form into the bigger form when the armor is summoned and then the even larger form when a mount is called; those are not different swords that's just one sword transforming. (See the blancas fruit roster in the first series; Kouga hours into the makai forest dimension with the Garo blade completely unsealed.) Another possibility is if the blade was just plain made for a woman in the first place, it would probably only work for her and not a man.
The shape is not an issue because it is soul metal what we are talking about. This metal shape modifies itself depending of the feelings of the person who uses it. That's why the Garo armor changes with each wielder, and some times the armors change even without chancing the wielder (Zero armor). As you said, is metamorphic.

Another reason that I thought is that, to use an armor, the armor has to accept you, and when I say the armor I mean every person that has used it previously and is now part of the soul of it. Considering that Yuna's armor has possibly existed for centuries, that means a lot of old men spirits there saying "no no" to the idea of women using it.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

i give the episode 3/5. it was an ok episode. and yes i like riria kojima a lot in ToQger. she looks cute. but as Yuna she kinda not that special even in Black Blood.
she do the fight choreography quite very good i think. and well Leo appearance is also a good thing.

the story itself kinda ok, but standart. i do think Leo&Yuna are interesting chara bcoz of their mix abilities. and yes when she start to try summoning armor, that's quite exciting. for the story i do like the choice Yuna make that she would have to team up with Kain with all their high & low points. they are not a POWERFUL COMBI but they gonna find it the way. that's good & inspirative. but overall it's just a so so episodes.

Leo, well it's been a while since I see him. his chara becomes important in Makai Senki. and the later identity of him is also good twist. s ya seeing he's back & still serving the senate is a good continuation. and btw for Kain,...... he's too comedic and not yet grew stronger i think, become boring and annoying character for me i guess.

and yes i am very agree with take about the damn shaky camera that feels unneeded at some scene of this episodes. if they are running/climbing/fighting shaky cam can show a point. but if they just talking.... why?? do the director want the audience thinks that Yuna & Kain being watched by a short spy/someone/madou tools?? anyway dislike that method
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
KRDangerousZombie
7X
Favorite series: Sentai:Go-Busters Kamen Rider:W
2nd Favorite Series: Sentai:Toqger
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by KRDangerousZombie »

I really enjoyed this episode, in spite of THAT FUCKING SONG & the bad camera stuff. I cheered out loud when i realised it was a Yuna & Kain episode, i really wanted more of their story after black blood. I liked how in black blood she could barely swing her sword without her hand giving out and being in agony... but in this episode she actually fought all the way up to the "Time to summon armour" segment of the fight and almost summoned armour. I'm hopeful that this means that eventually we'll have an episode somewhere in the future where she actually summons armour and everyone loses their minds. I mean, if zero's suit can change from a 5 foot something humanoid shape, to an 8foot tall werewolf monster, to a massive dragon in a short period of time, i'm sure that her dad's suit can change shape slightly to better fit her.
Completed Series
Sentai
: Abaranger-Ryusoulger
Kamen Rider : Black to Zi-O
Garo : Every non-anime season.

Watching Series
Zero-One, Kiramager.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Haha, Retsuden was an awesome season. Hmmm, what's going on with Garo this year, I wonder

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”