How exactly does Makai society function?

abazigal
7X

How exactly does Makai society function?

Post by abazigal »

I have been following all the episodes and movies of Garo and this just keeps bugging me.

Granted, it's a TV show, and a lot of things seem to get hand waved offscreen, but the whole system of makai knights and priests seems quite decentralised. There doesn't seem to be a central organisation coordinating and overseeing everyone. Instead, every council seems to be free to plan their own things.

1) Where do the knights and priests get their income? Do they receive a stipend from the council which covers their living expenses? And who supports the organisation financially as a whole? What about people like Kouga? He clearly doesn't hold a day job, so where is he getting the money to maintain a huge mansion? Investments?

2) Is it just me, or does the whole organisation seem quite outdated? This would make sense in a more primitive setting, or even in the 1970s to 1990s, where smartphones and mobile communication is less common, but why isn't there a database of existing horrors? Do you really need to send a runner everytime you want to issue orders? This aspect just seems horrifically inefficient. We instead get very cryptic warnings from Zaruba which I understand is supposed to add suspense to us as the viewers, but it doesn't really help the battle any.

For an organisation that has existed since ancient times to fight horrors, they don't seem to have modernised and kept with the times. I understand that helps preserve the tone and feel of the shows, but it does make you wonder why the whole organisation isn't run more like Shield or the Avengers.

Your thoughts?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: How exactly does Makai society function?

Post by takenoko »

It's a magical hidden society. Their technological advances diverge from science-based technology. Yeah, their clothes may look outdated, but they also have talking jewelry and can cast spells with brushes. So in short, a wizard did it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I'd agree with takenoko here, it functions very much like the Wizarding world in Harry Potter.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The tech that is used is kind of a blend of alchemy and science with magic.

And the fact is the horrors have pretty much remained unchanged from ancient times, so it's not like the knights really needed to adapt all that much.

In regards to the other points, you'd assume the knights would get supported. They spend most of the day sealing gates and most of the night hunting so not much time for anything else. With Kouga, I was always under the assumption that he inherited the family fortune, given that he lives in a bigass mansion and had enough cash to buy an entire theatres worth of play tickets.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

I don't think that is decentralised. In Makai Senki we see that Kouga doesn't work for the council of a particular zone, instead, he works for the senate, That's where Grace work, where they have Gajari, and supposedly the central building, where all the high ranks are and the important decisions are made.
jason3000
Infinity
Quote: wagana wa garo,ogon kishi

Post by jason3000 »

I m not trying to be jackass here,
The story is about some guy who going to summon armor to kill monster,
With this kind of premise you know is going to be ridiculous,
So stop trying think everything need explaination.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, but that can be said about anything:

This is a forums for talking about people dressing up and punching imaginary monsters. Stop thinking about it and focus on sending food to starving children!

Or something. Gotta talk about something, right?
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

jason3000 wrote:I m not trying to be jackass here,
The story is about some guy who going to summon armor to kill monster,
With this kind of premise you know is going to be ridiculous,
So stop trying think everything need explaination.
That premise not only doesn't mean that a mythology can't be created, but the opposite, those kinds of premises are normally prone to create a rich universe.

So it's normal to talk about it.

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”