Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Retsuden 08 released

Post by takenoko »

< Prev Ep
Wiki Article
Next Ep >

Last episode rating: 4.33 (6 votes)

Sub Title - Imagine the episode ends after Rekka says "No"

I dunno, kind of an average set of stories this week. I like Shiguto and Crow, but their stories didn't really blow me away. Crow and Eiji in particular was really more of a prolonged fight scene. At least Akari showed up.

Edit: Okay, watching the first part now. I like the kid actress. She seems hilarious. I'll add on another star to the vote for that.

I feel like I've seen the actress who plays the mom in other dramas before.

Also, Sachi means "happiness" and she literally drops something on Shiguto. Hence Gonza's introduction this week.
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Re: Garo Makai Retsuden 08 released

Post by Yaiba »

Crow as a blooming flower in Makai no Hana, a clever pun at least
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Poor Shiguto. Gonza’s narration hinted that the story wasn’t going to have a happy ending, but it still hurt when he was told to stay away. Rekka's question about the beach hinted that Shiguto had been sharing stories about his visits with Sachi, and I kind of wish we had seen more of those conversations.

It was nice to see Crow (and Eiji) again, but there wasn't much substance to his story. It was neat to see the fight on the rooftop in the daylight, since most of Garo's fight scenes are at night or indoors.
fenrir
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: RX
2nd Favorite Series: GAIM
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by fenrir »

a good 2 part episode. i give 5 for this one. "kindness" is a keyword for both part i guess.

the shiguto part is kinda sad. it give some light a bit by not making it into tragedy which perhaps the horror successfully kill the mom+daughter in front of shiguto. coz that's what i think when the horror shows his fast speed moving skill. still, it's a sad ending although means a sacrifice that MUST be bear by a protector. the mom+child acting is good i think. Rekka kinda cold is good pun & for her to care justa bit about shiguto life problem is her character since her introduction. seems shiguto stronger a bit as well thou.

crow part is ok, kinda bit a let down coz in the end its just a mind fight. although it kinda enlightened the audience how a mind fight might looks like (refer to Ryuga vs Bikuu mind fight in Hana, only stare stare stare & suddenly it finished BLEH :( ). Agree with PHurricane, i like the rooftop daylight fight, it gives a rare sight. and btw, it also good to see Eiji+Crow armor once again. both armor still very cool.
although yeah once again, crow ability to fly seems still not that really useful/effective enough.
otw: Ex-Aid , Hurricane (ep3), Amazons S2, Kyuuranger

finished:
KR: Black, RX, Super1 + all Heisei + AMAZONS
Sentai: Zyu,Dai,Gao,Deka,Magi,Bouken,Geki,Goon,Shinken,Gokai,GoBus,ToQ,Ninnin
Garo: All (anime[both] as well)
Densha Otoko
mholden020
Gabu
Favorite series: Garo
Favorite Band: Avenged Sevenfold
Quote: "Never think that success is down to your own performance alone. If you start listening only to yourself you take the first step back towards the bottom. The flowers of victory belong in many vases."
-Michael Schumacher
Type: INFJ Counselor

Post by mholden020 »

You guys did a fantastic job splicing together the two and getting this episode released. *applause*applause*

Shiguto sure does get the short end of almost every stick presented to him, huh? If it were Kamen Rider or Sentai, that would not have been a two-part episode. I both like and hate that they're willing to end a story on a bad note, but holy cow...the ending to the first part hit me right in the feels.

I honestly didn't get the purpose for the second half. The Eiji/Crow story in Makai no Hana never really engaged me at all, seeming like a tacked-on backstory intended to give Crow a foundation for why he's the way he is. Honestly, once I saw that the standard swords had those defined hamon lines and I realized they were actually metal (not clearly rubber like Kouga's had been), I became more fascinated by the details in the armor and weapons.

Finally, who directed this one? Those random face-on shots were really weird...
Completed Series:
-Kamen Rider: Agito, Ryuki, 555, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, Fourze, OOO, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
-Sentai: Jetman, Dairanger, Deka --> Zyuohger
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

mholden020 wrote:Finally, who directed this one? Those random face-on shots were really weird...
Abe Mitsuyoshi? He's directed a few Garo series, but I never notice anything about his directing style
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Garo_-Maka ... Chronology
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

If you mean those travelling shots that they do when they have the armored fight, I think it is a reference to the Raiga vs Eiji, directed by Amemiya Keita, who did the same thing.

There were rumors saying that Atom could not be in Makai retsuden due to some schedule issues, I am glad that it wasn't true. There were similar rumors about Yasue Sato, so I hope they are false too and we can enjoy a Jabi episode.
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

Well, I guess Crow has taken over Eiji's role as leader after the events of Makai no Hana. Nice little continuity there, though yeah, not sure I see the point of that episode. I still have no idea what his organisation does.

That said, I find it interesting that this is probably Crow's best and longest fight scene to date, and it's ironic that he is getting it in a side-episode, rather than his own series. I felt Crow was massively underutilised in Makai no Hana. The producers have shown that choreographing excellent knight vs knight fight scenes is not a problem, so why is Garo getting all the attention?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

At least the second part had the actual suits to benefit from in the fight scenes. A shame they were underused.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

abazigal wrote:Well, I guess Crow has taken over Eiji's role as leader after the events of Makai no Hana. Nice little continuity there, though yeah, not sure I see the point of that episode. I still have no idea what his organisation does.

That said, I find it interesting that this is probably Crow's best and longest fight scene to date, and it's ironic that he is getting it in a side-episode, rather than his own series. I felt Crow was massively underutilised in Makai no Hana. The producers have shown that choreographing excellent knight vs knight fight scenes is not a problem, so why is Garo getting all the attention?
Crow is probably going to have his own series eventually just like they did it with Rei. Makai no Hana still inconclusive after all.
Final Vent!
abazigal
7X

Post by abazigal »

Kurow wrote:
abazigal wrote:Well, I guess Crow has taken over Eiji's role as leader after the events of Makai no Hana. Nice little continuity there, though yeah, not sure I see the point of that episode. I still have no idea what his organisation does.

Crow is probably going to have his own series eventually just like they did it with Rei. Makai no Hana still inconclusive after all.
I am not sure if Crow's character is interesting or deep enough to merit its own miniseries. I thought Black Blood was quite slow-paced overall, and the side characters not all that interesting. In hindsight, pairing Yuna up with Leo might have a better fit, as their backgrounds give them more in common.

I just wished that Crow could have gotten more screen time and a more significant role in Makai no Hanna. His contributions to the plot overall were minimal at best, and he had very little character development.

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”