Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Retsuden 12 released

Post by takenoko »

< Prev Ep
Wiki Article
Garo Ashura >

Last episode rating: 4.43 (7 votes)

Alt Title - Where's Mr. Decade for this dimension hopping shit?

Huh... I don't know how to feel about this. I guess it's still possible that the Ryuuga universe is separate from the Kouga/Raiga one, but now it's not so clear. It kind of seems like they're just different timelines?

Anyone, that doesn't matter. Kouga makes his appearance and promises to be back.

We also get Shiguto for his 2 seconds of guest appearance, as well as original D Ringo and Yukihime finally making her appearance. Didn't quite get to see who was stronger, but still a relatively fun episode.

Honestly, not really as good as previous Zaji episodes, and it doesn't really make sense (Why would the Makai no Hana era last boss draw in Kouga era Rekka and Ryuuga era Rian?) it's still a solid 4. But I'm bumping it to 5 since the dramatic music had me misty eyed.

Edit: Does anyone remember how Raiga gets his Zaruba in Makai no Hana? Because Kouga's still clearly wearing his.

Looks like most of you had faith. Four of you voted saying you thought Kouga would reappear, versus one who thought he wouldn't:
viewtopic.php?f=228&t=19493
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Garo Makai Retsuden 12 released

Post by PHurricane »

The more I write about this episode, the more I’m finding to nitpick, but I swear I enjoyed it. I’m very happy the episode title was not a tease.

I’ve never quite settled in my mind whether I thought Ryuuga’s stuff was set in the distant future or just a more technologically advanced parallel universe. It’s a shame they didn’t use this episode to clarify things. Maybe Amemiya hasn’t made his mind up? Maybe he just wants to leave open the possibility of Kouga stumbling back into Ryuuga and Rian’s universe while he wandering around?

I’ll address the gold lion in the room first: Kouga was back! Great to see him. I think the highlight of his appearance was the BGM playing after he released the armor. Again, it’s nitpicking, but I wish they had let it play just a bit longer. They could have stretched the second phase of the fight out a little bit or had him pose dramatically so we could hear the crescendo. Loved seeing Gouten and that half-demolished broken city dimension too.

Kouga’s message to Rekka definitely felt like it more for the audience, now that his actor has reprised the role. Maybe the Zero series will be about his journey to track down Kouga and Kaoru like he promised young Raiga.

As for the bulk of the episode, having Rekka and Rian interact and point out the differences in their styles was fun. The rationale for fighting against each other was pretty contrived considering they were in an unknown hostile territory, but I accept that that’s what happens when you throw superheroes from different shows together.

My one criticism of Rekka and Rian’s fight against Zaji would be that they should have picked up on his technique. After he jumped through a portal to dodge their attack, he always attacked from behind them.

Not sure about Zaruba. I always thought Raiga’s coat was the same as Kouga’s, and at some point in Raiga’s early childhood the ring, coat, and Garo sword were recovered, but Makai no Hana was very fuzzy about the details.

Overall, this was a fun series. Hopefully the franchise stays strong enough that they can do this in another 10 years.
xiiliea
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Gaia
Favorite Actor?: Fujita Ray
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by xiiliea »

Yay... Kouga! I do hope that this is a tease/prelude to the Zero movie.

I took quite a long while to figure out what is the "thing that he needed to do" though (it's about saving Kaoru).
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think in general there's a rule that if you give a secondary or background character a spinoff series, it's usually best to avoid having a main character in it. That'll just make fans want to see the main character and taint the spotlight, which should be upon the secondary character. (Sort of like why they didn't say "Superman" in Supergirl, or show his face)

I'd love to see other secondary characters in the new Zero movie/TV show, but no Garos please.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Loved this episode.

I actually watched the raw first because of the hype, but subtitled is better. With the gun dialogue they hint that Rian is from the future.

And Konishi is incredibily young, he could do more Kouga seasons perfectly.

I wonder if they will ever solve this time/dimension travelling plot, and how, considering that they can perfectly use every character from different timelines and even different ages (like, using Raiga but at the same time young Rekka).
takenoko wrote: Edit: Does anyone remember how Raiga gets his Zaruba in Makai no Hana? Because Kouga's still clearly wearing his.
Let's remember that we are dealing with time travels and paradox here. Kouga gives his armor (and supposedly Zaruba) to his son "in the future", which doesn't mean anything considering that we've had a character from a distant future meeting one from the present.

It is also established that time flow differently in Eiris dimensions, so it is entirely possible that Raiga has his armor and Zaruba but, at the same time, Kouga hasn't given it to him yet.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I was under the impression that Ryugas story took place many many years after Kouga and co. The technology in Volcity seemed to imply it was in the future somewhat. It's not too farfetched to believe that they two share a timeline. Maybe Raiga shacks up with Mayuri who can't reproduce because she's a Madou Tool?

Anyway, nice finale. Glad Kouga was back. Really don't have anything bad to say about this little series. It was nice. They touched on pretty much every important character except Rei, but he did get his own mini series/movie so I suppose that's okay. Hopefully this implies there is more fresh GARO on the horizon.

I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for pachinko.
joan_kurisu
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: KR Decade & Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Garo
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Masayuki Izumi
Favorite Band: Flow
Quote: Torisugari no Kamen Raida da. Oboeteoke.

Post by joan_kurisu »

Kouga!!! I totally enjoyed seeing him again...
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Kouga cameo promising his return makes this a 5. That theme from the first season playing slowly in the background gives me chills. The episode itself was great too.

Seeing Rekka and Rian from different season/era coming together, topping off with Kouga himself was awesome. But the tease was a bit cruel. It's as if Amemiya know fans want to see all the characters in the Garo-verse interact, but won't give it. Gonza telling us this isn't the end sure gives a lot of hope.

Overall, this is a pretty good season. It's interesting in its structure and hopefully this won't be the last time we see these old supporting characters.

The Zero series or whatever medium it is better be good. Kouga, Raiga and Ryuuga need to team up. I want to see it happen at least for one battle, movie or series. Although going forward I actually wouldn't mind a brand new Garo story, base entirely on new characters. Perhaps Raiga descendant or student. Something along that line might be interesting.

That said, it's been another fun ride. Thank you team for completing another show. Your work is always appreciated. Best of wishes!
Last edited by TokuCasual on Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:01 am, edited 7 times in total.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Post by Mandalori »

The theme playing was from Makai Senki, not from the first season.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

Are we talking about the theme played during the part where Kouga spoke with Rian? I'm pretty sure that's the OP theme from season 1.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Mandalori »

I was talking about the song during the fight between Zaji and Kouga. The one your talking about is similar, but I don't think it was in the original series.
I think it's probably another song based on the "Theme of Garo" (since it's how it's called in the OST) created just for this episode.
I didn't go through all the Garo OSTs so I don't know if it was already made before Retsuden.

I recognized Rian's theme from Yami when she first appear and Sigma's theme when Rekka and Rian fight Zaji.
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

The theme I'm referring to is from season 1. It's ~Savior in the Dark~
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I still think the Ryuuga-Rian verse is not a future timeline but rather a parallel universe. The whole future tech of Volcity was dropped rather quickly in Yami. Also guns have been around for centuries. I can easily see Rian making the Madou Gun in modern day rather than in the future (I will admit that I don't know if she did create the gun or someone else but I still think it's possible regardless.

I was hoping that Bikuu would make an appearance in this but I can understand that she doesn't have the connection to Raiga that Rekka does for Kouga or Rian for Ryuuga. Also Bikuu would definitely make an interesting comparison between Rekka and Rian. Rian is definitely the most playful Makai Priest while Bikuu is the most serious Makai Priest which Rekka has the qualities of both of them. I don't really remember Rekka sporting a soulmetal dagger though.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

Phoenix512 wrote:I still think the Ryuuga-Rian verse is not a future timeline but rather a parallel universe. The whole future tech of Volcity was dropped rather quickly in Yami. Also guns have been around for centuries. I can easily see Rian making the Madou Gun in modern day rather than in the future (I will admit that I don't know if she did create the gun or someone else but I still think it's possible regardless.
But Eiris portals do travel through time, not dimensions. It's like seeing the characters using a Delorean and hoping they're not travelling through time.

Even they have that conversations of "Give regards to the Garo of your time", using the word jidai, which is time o era.

They also use the world sekai, but in japanese it doesn't just mean Earth but also world in an abstract sense. For example, in Dragon Ball, when they talk about future Trunks' timeline, they say "mirai no sekai".

I am not say that it is confirmed or anything, they can change whatever they want, but all the information we have points to future more than to parallel universe.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Mandalori »

TokuCasual wrote:The theme I'm referring to is from season 1. It's ~Savior in the Dark~
I know, but it wasn't it. You can listen it on youtube or elsewhere and you'll see the difference. I think the song they used is a variante of it.

Return to “-Makai Retsuden-”